Author Topic: NHL 2022-2023: FA July 13th - LET IT BEGIN  (Read 65899 times)

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
Re: NHL 2022-2023: FA July 13th - LET IT BEGIN
« Reply #315 on: November 17, 2022, 08:10:34 AM »
Nice road win in Vegas tonight by the Blues. Looked like a real hockey team.

Nice road win in Denver tonight by the Blues. Looked like a real hockey team.

Nice road win in Chicago tonight by the Blues. Looked like a real hockey team.

I mean, it is Chicago.

Which could have been a ‘let down’ game…..especially after beating Vegas and Colorado back to back. So I’m happy they throttled the Hawks because they ‘should’ have.

Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #316 on: November 17, 2022, 08:19:01 AM »
Devils up to ten in a row. Should be a fun game on Thursday Chad.

Indeed.  I don't mean to diminish the Devils' streak (I already said they're the most surprising team to me), but 6 of the 9 teams they've played on this streak were not playoff teams last year (and most don't look like they'll be so again this year)*.  Now, victories aren't always easy to come by (the Leafs have LOST to the Coyotes, Ducks, Sharks and Canadiens already this year!), so it's impressive that the Devils are taking care of business - and taking the Ws in OT (where the Leafs are falling short).

All in all, it should be an entertaining game.  I'll be tuning in for sure.

*only Avs, Oil, Flames they've beaten on this streak.  And in looking at their entire record, they've played mostly non-playoff teams so far this year (11/16 games).  I'm sure I'll be eating crow Thursday night for this blasphemy!   :lol

Oh for sure, definitely aware that we've played an easier schedule so far this year. There are a couple quality wins tucked in that streak and I'm looking forward to seeing how we measure up as the schedule toughens.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #317 on: November 17, 2022, 09:18:05 PM »
Weird game. I went from "The Blues are rolling" to "I just hope we can get to OT to get a point" to "Hey, we won the game!" in a little over two hours. 

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #318 on: November 17, 2022, 09:22:21 PM »
Weird game. I went from "The Blues are rolling" to "I just hope we can get to OT to get a point" to "Hey, we won the game!" in a little over two hours.

Yeah. I’ll take the ‘W’. Second game of a back to back…..back up goalie playing who honestly isn’t all that good but he played his butt off tonight……legs just weren’t there after the road trip and back to back.

But it’s a ‘win’. Five in a row and Back to .500.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #319 on: November 18, 2022, 04:25:45 AM »
Devils were the better team last night - I'm not sure how much of that was their good play, or the Leafs poor play.  Some combination of a very good forecheck by the former and/or very sloppy d-zone play by the latter.  The Leafs had no right to even get it to OT, and then the last 10 seconds of the game was the perfect encapsulation of the previous 60 minutes of play.

Two of the last three teams to have an 11-game winning streak went on to win the Stanley Cup.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #320 on: November 18, 2022, 06:29:34 AM »
I only half caught the game because I was on the phone with the parents, but it seemed like the Leafs had the better play out of the gates and the Devils seemed to only really wake up after they got on the board.

Two of the last three teams to have an 11-game winning streak went on to win the Stanley Cup.

Great stat :biggrin:
Photobucket sucks.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #321 on: November 18, 2022, 06:37:09 AM »
Ahem. ;D
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #322 on: November 18, 2022, 07:55:20 AM »

Yeah. I’ll take the ‘W’. Second game of a back to back…..back up goalie playing who honestly isn’t all that good but he played his butt off tonight……legs just weren’t there after the road trip and back to back.

It's uncanny. This team looked dead in the water 10 days ago. Now, a 5-game winning streak later, they are back in the mix. 

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #323 on: November 18, 2022, 08:02:28 AM »

It's uncanny. This team looked dead in the water 10 days ago. Now, a 5-game winning streak later, they are back in the mix.

It's weird.....a lot of teams playing with multiple personalities this year. It's the no in between that's odd. They've looked 'really good' or 'really bad'.  :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #324 on: November 18, 2022, 02:48:36 PM »
The Bruins have had a pretty favorable strength of schedule so far, but after tomorrow's game against Chicago, their next 10 games are:

@ TB
@ Florida
Canes
TB
Avs
Vegas
@ Avs
@ AZ
@ Vegas
NYI
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #325 on: November 18, 2022, 03:05:44 PM »
Plus 10 of their games have been at home too so far.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #326 on: November 19, 2022, 07:24:59 PM »
B's up 5-1 outshooting the Blackhawks 40 - 16. 

That's insane.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #327 on: November 19, 2022, 07:26:50 PM »
Holy shit Chicago blows. The game hasn't even been that close.

The B's run the gauntlet for their next 10 games though.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #328 on: November 19, 2022, 07:27:30 PM »
Time to win on the rode.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #329 on: November 20, 2022, 06:58:56 AM »
Buffalo be Buffalo'g - hot October followed by an ice-cold November.  Man they did not look good last night, and when they did get their chances, Matt Murray looked REALLY good.  If Samsonov comes back and plays like he did before he got injured, this has a very good chance of being a nice tandem between the pipes.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #330 on: November 20, 2022, 07:04:18 AM »

It's weird.....a lot of teams playing with multiple personalities this year. It's the no in between that's odd. They've looked 'really good' or 'really bad'.  :lol

Really good again last night!  :metal :metal

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #331 on: November 20, 2022, 07:09:19 AM »

Really good again last night!  :metal :metal

Keep it in your pant, tiger ... it was the Ducks* - they don't even have a regulation time win yet.

*(he says somewhat tongue-in-cheek since the Leafs blew a 3-1 against the Ducks)

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #332 on: November 20, 2022, 08:23:15 AM »
Up to an even dozen for the Devils with yesterday's 5-1 win over Ottowa. A couple nice things to see from that W: 1) Balanced scoring, our first three goals came from our 3rd line, 4th line, and 2nd unit power play. One of our strengths this season has been our ability to get contributions from the entire roster. 2) Ability to recover from a loss of momentum. Ottowa started picking up some momentum late in the 2nd period, Cam Talbot made an absolutely ridiculous save to keep the game at 3-0, the Sens scored shortly after, and then they picked up a power play right after that. All of a sudden the building got *loud* for the start of that PP, but a quick shorthanded goal stopped all of that momentum and effectively sealed the deal.

Also saw a fun fact that we're possibly the first team to sweep both the Western Canadian (Calgary, Edmonton, Vancouver) and Eastern Canadian (Montreal, Toronto, Ottawa) road trips in the same season.
Photobucket sucks.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #333 on: November 21, 2022, 06:42:20 PM »
Bergeron's assist gives him 1,000 points. The whole team came out to congratulate him. B's beating the Lightning 4-1.  They are trucking.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #334 on: November 21, 2022, 06:44:40 PM »
Lot of B's fans there tonight.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #335 on: November 21, 2022, 07:04:13 PM »
Lots of bluebirds down there.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #336 on: November 21, 2022, 07:08:02 PM »
We've seen the Bruins a couple of times in Tampa.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #337 on: November 21, 2022, 07:39:45 PM »
The Bruins have had a pretty favorable strength of schedule so far, but after tomorrow's game against Chicago, their next 10 games are:

@ TB  W 5-3
@ Florida
Canes
TB
Avs
Vegas
@ Avs
@ AZ
@ Vegas
NYI

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #338 on: November 22, 2022, 04:26:34 AM »
Man the Leafs need to work on their 3-3 game.  1-5 in OT this year so far.  Welp

Just like last year, they may find themselves regretting not earning those points come the end of the season.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #339 on: November 22, 2022, 10:16:49 AM »
Blues set a record last night with their 7th in a row….. Blues now have the longest winning streak in league history following a losing streak of eight or more games. they had lost 8 in a row…..and have now won 7 in a row. What a random stat.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #340 on: November 22, 2022, 10:20:05 AM »
A huge Sine Wave Gary. 

Online SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #341 on: November 22, 2022, 10:27:36 AM »
Quick takes on the Oilers at the quarter mark of the season:

• Connor being Connor. He's almost certainly going to win the Art Ross, and he's looking good to compete for the Rocket
  • No complaints about Leon either
  • Goaltending, as expected, is sketchy. Skinner has been mostly OK, but still lets in too many softies. That being said, he's getting almost no offensive support (I forget exactly but something like 2 goals per game support). Campbell is a train wreck of a signing at this point (much to the delight and relief of Leafs fans, I'm sure)
  • Defense looks like they don't know how to play defense
  • While they're not yet in too deep a hole, playing .500 hockey in the Pacific isn't going to get a team invited to the dance in the spring

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #342 on: November 22, 2022, 10:44:09 AM »
Statistically, Campbell wasn't terribly strong last year - he had a really good 1st half, but mediocre (at best) 2nd half.  The sniff-test says he's playing way worse this year.  So yeah, while I was not a fan of letting him walk, Dubas clearly made the right call.  I dunno the circumstances of the bad tone by which he left Toronto (Friedge hinted at something a few weeks back, iirc), but apparently it was the right call to make.  I don't know if he still has to find a groove in the Oil 'system', or if their D is just really that bad (the actual defensemen, and the defensive play overall (ie, incl forwards)), or if he really is just a mediocre goalie that had streaks last year of punching above his weight class.

Online pg1067

« Reply #343 on: November 22, 2022, 01:15:43 PM »
Quick takes on the Oilers at the quarter mark of the season

It took me a minute to realize that "Quick" is being used as an adjective here and that you weren't referring to Jonathan Quick and last week's Kings/Oilers game.   :lol
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #344 on: November 23, 2022, 07:49:43 PM »

@ TB  W 5-3
@ Florida L 5-2
Canes
TB
Avs
Vegas
@ Avs
@ AZ
@ Vegas
NYI

Bruins owned the first period but were stoned by the Panthers' goalie. Swayman did not match their goaltender, and after the first, the Bruins got all out of sorts with frustration and got away from their game.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #345 on: November 23, 2022, 07:52:31 PM »
Yup yup.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #346 on: November 24, 2022, 04:50:11 AM »
Jingle.son and I were at the Sabres/Blues game last night.  It was 90s-throwback night, and boy was it ever.  The crowd did the Wave on 3 separate occasions, and serenaded the Blues with na-na-na na.... na-na-na na.... hey-hey-hey ... good-bye after the 6th goal.  Binnington looked like shit - 4 of the goals were terrible and completely on him.

Also, if anyone needs a lock for a bet, I'll let you know ahead of time when jingle.son and I are going to a game - he's never seen a L by the Sabres when he and I go.

Nice to also see the Leafs gut out a victory over the Devils - along with the help of 3 over-turned goals.  LMAO at  how the ref botched the 1st. instant replay call.  "The call on the ice has been confirmed, we have good goal .... er no, it's not - no goal".  Literally - check the highlight.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #347 on: November 24, 2022, 06:35:46 AM »
Literally - check the highlight.

:rollin

That's hilarious.

The East is nasty again this year. Bolts, Panthers, Leafs, and Bruins. The Bruins hot start is great and all, but it's not going to matter come playoff time.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #348 on: November 24, 2022, 07:07:53 AM »
Well, at least Tampa looks mortal.  And Detroit is keeping themselves in the mix.  If not for Buffalo's 7-game losing streak, they look almost legit too - they are very strong and consistent up front; D and G is where they still need to develop/improve.  Although, OPL (goalie... don't ask me to spell that out) was stellar last night.  So long as 41-year old Craig Anderson is their #1 goalie, they aren't going anywhere.  Either OPL has to continue to develop, or they need to make a move on someone.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #349 on: November 24, 2022, 08:09:17 AM »
Well, at least Tampa looks mortal.  And Detroit is keeping themselves in the mix.  If not for Buffalo's 7-game losing streak, they look almost legit too - they are very strong and consistent up front; D and G is where they still need to develop/improve.  Although, OPL (goalie... don't ask me to spell that out) was stellar last night.  So long as 41-year old Craig Anderson is their #1 goalie, they aren't going anywhere.  Either OPL has to continue to develop, or they need to make a move on someone.

The thing is, the other night I didn't notice Stamkos until midway through the 3rd. I thought he was out.

For Detroit or Buffalo to make a move up, then someone else is going to have to fall out, and I don't see that happening anytime soon.