Author Topic: NHL 2022-2023: FA July 13th - LET IT BEGIN  (Read 65900 times)

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2022, 06:22:26 PM by Nick »
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
Re: NHL 2022-2023: Montreal is on the board
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2022, 08:56:20 AM »
2022 draft begins at 7pm Eastern, and your draft order for tonight is:

Round 1
1. Montreal Canadiens
2. New Jersey Devils
3. Arizona Coyotes
4. Seattle Kraken
5. Philadelphia Flyers
6. Columbus Blue Jackets (from CHI)
7. Ottawa Senators
8. Detroit Red Wings
9. Buffalo Sabres
10. Anaheim Ducks
11. San Jose Sharks
12. Columbus Blue Jackets
13. New York Islanders
14. Winnipeg Jets
15. Vancouver Canucks
16. Buffalo Sabres (from VGK)
17. Nashville Predators
18. Dallas Stars
19. Minnesota Wild (from LA)
20. Washington Capitals
21. Pittsburgh Penguins
22. Anaheim Ducks (from BOS)
23. St. Louis Blues
24. Minnesota Wild
25. Toronto Maple Leafs
26. Montreal Canadiens (from CGY)
27. Arizona Coyotes (from CAR via MTL)
28. Buffalo Sabres (from FLA)
29. Edmonton Oilers
30. Winnipeg Jets (from NYR)
31. Tampa Bay Lightning
32. Arizona Coyotes (from COL)
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2022, 09:02:10 AM »
Lots of rumors circulating that Tarasenko and Krug are being shopped around. Both have full no trade clauses so would need to approve any trade. The writer for the Athletic who I personally know has told me in the past that when he says 'sources close to Tarasenko' in his reporting that it's literally Tarasenko himself....and that....Tarasenko still wants to be traded despite having a great season last season
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2022, 09:04:02 AM »
Lots of rumors circulating that Tarasenko and Krug are being shopped around. Both have full no trade clauses so would need to approve any trade. The writer for the Athletic who I personally know has told me in the past that when he says 'sources close to Tarasenko' in his reporting that it's literally Tarasenko himself....and that....Tarasenko still wants to be traded despite having a great season last season

I think at this point, Tarasenko has decent value again because of his season, so if he's unhappy and the Blues find the right deal I could certainly see that happening. Do you think the Blues retain Husso going into next season?

And on an unrelated note, did King lose a bet here that I'm unaware of?

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2022, 09:10:30 AM »

I think at this point, Tarasenko has decent value again because of his season, so if he's unhappy and the Blues find the right deal I could certainly see that happening. Do you think the Blues retain Husso going into next season?

And on an unrelated note, did King lose a bet here that I'm unaware of?

Husso has expressed his desire to return to the Blues.....problem is....he's probably going to want $4+ mil a year. I have a feeling he will get more from one of these teams desperate for a goalie like Toronto or even the Oilers. If they shed Tarasenko's $7.5  and/or Krug's $5.5....then maybe they could resign him. But Perron is up as well and he wants to stay....which is going to cost $4+ a year also.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2022, 11:17:50 AM »
All right, got a trade.

Rangers traded Georgiev to the Avs for a 3rd and a 5th in this year's draft and a 3rd in next year's draft.  The Avs has no picks until round 6 and 7 at this point this year.  I guess they filled the hole in getting a goalie on the cheap than what they would have paid Kuemper?

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2022, 01:00:19 PM »
I figured the Avs, in their prime, would have wanted to settle in for a solid #1 goaltender, but it looks like they will roll the dice with a young 1A/1B pair under the assumption one of them will prove themselves in prime time.

More interesting move for me today was the Penguins. I'm absolutely stunned that on an over 35 contract they gave Letang over 6 million a year for 6 years.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2022, 01:03:32 PM »
I'm absolutely stunned that on an over 35 contract they gave Letang over 6 million a year for 6 years.

Yeah....that one is an odd one. Dude is still playing at a high level but you'd think that's not going to last given his age....especially for another 6 years!

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2022, 02:31:47 PM »
The trades keep on rolling.

The Senators now got Alex DeBrincat from Chicago and paid a 1st round pick this year (at #7), a 2nd pick this year (at #39) and a 3rd round pick in next year's draft.  I would think Chicago would have gotten a drafted prospect in this kind of return.  They need to draft well to make this trade work for their future.

Edit: On another note, I'm enjoying this draft day and the draft hasn't even started yet.  I feel relaxed since the Kings don't have a 1st round pick after trading for Fiala.  I don't have to sweat it if they get the immediate wrong guy in the 1st round and whatnot.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2022, 02:44:04 PM by Anguyen92 »

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2022, 02:44:06 PM »
The trades keep on rolling.

The Senators now got Alex DeBrincat from Chicago and paid a 1st round pick this year (at #7), a 2nd pick this year (at #39) and a 3rd round pick in next year's draft.  I would think Chicago would have gotten a drafted prospect in this kind of return.  They need to draft well to make this trade work for their future.

That’s not a trade. Chicago gave him away. Jeez.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2022, 02:52:26 PM »
Interesting. I still don't think Giroux "comes home" in free agency, but this type of move makes it at least slightly more plausible he could sign there.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2022, 05:26:44 PM »
Shane Wright looked CRUSHED! and again and AGAIN!

Enjoy New Jersey!

Er...make that Phoenix!

How about Seattle? :lol

He does not look happy about being picked by the Kraken.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2022, 05:53:17 PM by TAC »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2022, 05:40:41 PM »

I read that Carolina and Tarasenko have mutual interest, and he'd have to okay any trade due to the NTC, so I am okay with moving him rather than seeing him leave next summer and getting nothing in return.  It'll be a sad moment when his departure is announced, as he has been the best Blue of the last decade, arguably their best 10-year run ever, but all things come to an end.  His place in Blues history is secure.  :coolio

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2022, 05:58:34 PM »
Shane Wright looked CRUSHED! and again and AGAIN!

Enjoy New Jersey!

Er...make that Phoenix!

How about Seattle? :lol

He does not look happy about being picked by the Kraken.

I mean Arizona does not look like a good landing spot anyway for the next few years.  Seattle should be fine for him.  He and Beniers could rip the Pacific division apart within a few years.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2022, 06:22:41 PM »
Emily Kaplan 1
Steve Yzerman 0

:lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2022, 06:50:20 PM »

I read that Carolina and Tarasenko have mutual interest, and he'd have to okay any trade due to the NTC, so I am okay with moving him rather than seeing him leave next summer and getting nothing in return.  It'll be a sad moment when his departure is announced, as he has been the best Blue of the last decade, arguably their best 10-year run ever, but all things come to an end.  His place in Blues history is secure.  :coolio

Agreed. Absolutely LOVED watching him play….but…..he’s not going to re-sign and I’d prefer to get something in return for him. He’s always going to be one hit away from a 4th shoulder surgery….so, I think it’d be a win win

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2022, 08:24:42 PM »
So the Chicago Blackhawks started today with no 1st round picks and ended up with 3 1st.  At the cost of Debrincat, Dach, and taking in Petr Mrázek's contract with two years left.  I think they want the best odds for #1 next year.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2022, 09:55:42 PM »
So... yes, King lost a music Roulette bet with me.

2nd, I don't know that Toronto is "desperate" for a goalie (I mean, technically they are with Campbell a UFA atm). But with Mrazek's (or Mzarek as Bettmen pronounced it :lol) salary shed, I hope the Leafs go hard at re-signing Campbell.  I think low $4s for 4 years is the right spot - Anderson signed $4.5x2 last year (at 31 years old), and I don't think Campbell is as steady/durable/reliable as Anderson right now.  If they can't get him at the price they want, they've at least got the cap space to take a run at Husso or Kuemper - who clearly isn't re-signing with Colorado now that they have Georgiev (ie, they're banking on Francouz as the starter, or at least a fairly even tandem rotation).  Edmonton is in just as dire need, perhaps moreso.  Koskinen has proven he isn't a Top 20 #1 goalie, and Smith is beginning to age-out.

3rd - clearly Chicago is aiming for the Connor Berard sweepstakes.  I gather they'll buyout Toews and take a big cap hit next year, and maybe they can move Kane (perhaps retaining part of his salary).
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2022, 10:04:07 PM »
Also... Edm shed $3.2M by moving Kassian to the Coyotes.

Arizona really is going to be the land of misfit toys.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline romdrums

« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2022, 08:27:08 AM »
The Blues just traded Ville Husso to the Detroit Red Wings for the Wings' third round pick in the draft.  Interesting deal. 

https://www.wingingitinmotown.com/2022/7/8/23200081/red-wings-acquire-goaltender-ville-husso-from-blues-for-3rd-round-pick-2022-nhl-draft

Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2022, 08:32:41 AM »
The Blues just traded Ville Husso to the Detroit Red Wings for the Wings' third round pick in the draft.  Interesting deal. 

https://www.wingingitinmotown.com/2022/7/8/23200081/red-wings-acquire-goaltender-ville-husso-from-blues-for-3rd-round-pick-2022-nhl-draft

Yeah....I guess when you know you don't have the $$$ or any real plans to re-sign him might as well get a pick for him? Then Husso was signed by the Wings to a three year deal....$4.75 mil a year. Nice raise and contract for him.

Year 1 - $3.75 mil  ($1 mil signing bonus)
Year 2 - $4.75 mil
Year 3 - $4.75 mil

Includes 10 team no trade clause for all three years.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2022, 08:52:57 AM »
Interesting choice for sure. At three years and with plenty of cap space during a rebuild it's not the end of the world for Detroit if he doesn't pan out. That said, if he excels and really lives up to his best moments then you have a guy who can help really accelerate the process.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2022, 09:04:40 AM »
Well, Nick you may have pulled out at the right time.

https://twitter.com/PierreVLeBrun/status/1545422766723276800

Tony DeAngelo is going to Philly for picks.  3rd and 4th and I think the 2024 2nd.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2022, 09:08:55 AM »
Interesting choice for sure. At three years and with plenty of cap space during a rebuild it's not the end of the world for Detroit if he doesn't pan out. That said, if he excels and really lives up to his best moments then you have a guy who can help really accelerate the process.

I don't know what it'd look like for him to be 'the man' getting the bulk of the starts but there was a glimpse this past season when he stole the #1 spot from Binnington.....but I do know that his strengths are positioning and he just doesn't get rattled. Remember, he was the next in line behind Jake Allen back in 2019 but he was hurt and so was the next guy in the system depth chart ....so Binnington got a chance and went on that crazy run sparking the turn around and subsequent Cup run. Husso is a really good goalie and I honestly think if anything he's a perfect tandem goaltender

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2022, 09:09:59 AM »
Well, Nick you may have pulled out at the right time.

https://twitter.com/PierreVLeBrun/status/1545422766723276800

Tony DeAngelo is going to Philly for picks.  3rd and 4th and I think the 2024 2nd.

I mean, strong arguments could be made I was about 10 years too late.

But yeah, imma have fun watching reactions to this.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2022, 09:25:38 AM »
Looking like 2x5m for DeAngelo.

Prime Philly right here, using what very limited cap space they have on signing a questionably effective defenseman who they traded away the future for.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #26 on: July 08, 2022, 09:26:59 AM »
Nick, where do you stand on Nolan Patrick?

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #27 on: July 08, 2022, 10:03:41 AM »
Looking like 2x5m for DeAngelo.

Prime Philly right here, using what very limited cap space they have on signing a questionably effective defenseman who they traded away the future for.

He did a pretty good job in Carolna... I guess the question is whether that was more a result of the team/system/coach, or the player?

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #28 on: July 08, 2022, 11:05:27 AM »
The hits just keep on coming to Chicago.  Duncan Keith has now decided to retire with one year left on his really long contract, so the Blackhawks now have a recapture penalty since they were the ones that signed the deal and benefited the most out of it.  They probably need to maintain being above the cap floor now, especially if Toews or Kane is going to get traded (who also has one year left on their big contracts).

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #29 on: July 08, 2022, 11:06:34 AM »
The hits just keep on coming to Chicago.  Duncan Keith has now decided to retire with one year left on his really long contract, so the Blackhawks now have a recapture penalty since they were the ones that signed the deal and benefited the most out of it.  They probably need to maintain being above the cap floor now, especially if Toews or Kane is going to get traded (who also has one year left on their big contracts).

Awww....that's so sad to hear.....poor franchise

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #30 on: July 08, 2022, 11:09:49 AM »
I'm personally cackling inside as well.  The Kings are almost closing in on getting out of their hell, while the Blackhawks just keeps digging deeper and deeper in it.

Offline romdrums

« Reply #31 on: July 08, 2022, 11:21:06 AM »

Right?  Such a model of integrity!
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #32 on: July 08, 2022, 01:08:25 PM »

The only way a team takes Toews is if it's a 2-step trade, and they only need to take on 25% of his AAV.  He's barely a $2.5M AAV value.  More likely is a buyout, and take the cap hit pain.  Kane... Some team might take him at some level of reduced salary.  Maybe as much as 70%-80%??

But yeah... I don't feel bad for the franchise whatsoever.  Karma, bitches.  It would suck to be a fan of them, for sure.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #33 on: July 08, 2022, 01:25:06 PM »

Where's the like button when you need it?!
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #34 on: July 10, 2022, 07:24:18 PM »
Nick, where do you stand on Nolan Patrick?

I mean, he'll certainly never live up to his #2 selection. Even prior to a rash of injury issues he was not progressing as the Flyers would have liked, and then came all the injury issues. At this point if he becomes a good 3rd line center I think that would be considered a success.