Author Topic: NHL 2022-2023: FA July 13th - LET IT BEGIN  (Read 67031 times)

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Re: NHL 2022-2023: FA July 13th - LET IT BEGIN
« Reply #980 on: March 16, 2023, 08:55:27 AM »
Great defensive effort by the Leafs last night - the only goals were an own-deflection of a d-man's skate, and the shootout winner (which looked like a bit of a flub/fluke by MacKinnon - but they all count).  Too bad the offense couldn't find a way to get more than 20 shots.  The Avs shut them down pretty good, but the Leafs looked a little sloppy as well.

Oh, and Binnington is a such an ass-clown.  Go join the WWE already.  You leak like a sieve, and then fabricate a reason to get in a fight.  Like Berube said ... do your job and stop the fucking puck.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #981 on: March 16, 2023, 09:12:29 AM »
I detest Binnington. He’s a Fn baby. Slides 15 foot out of the crease after letting in another soft goal and gets his feelings hurt because he got bumped. He’s a POS…..that unfortunately I’m stuck watching for the foreseeable future.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline pg1067

« Reply #982 on: March 16, 2023, 09:25:44 AM »
Wow...I just saw that highlight.  They damn well better have ejected him after ejecting Pheonix Copley a couple weeks ago for a much less egregious blocker hit.  I love that Fleury came down the ice to fight him.  And I saw a video with Darren Pang urging the linesmen to let Binnington and Fleury go.   :lol
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #983 on: March 16, 2023, 09:31:10 AM »
Wow...I just saw that highlight.  They damn well better have ejected him after ejecting Pheonix Copley a couple weeks ago for a much less egregious blocker hit.  I love that Fleury came down the ice to fight him.  And I saw a video with Darren Pang urging the linesmen to let Binnington and Fleury go.   :lol

Goalie fights rule. 

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #984 on: March 16, 2023, 09:55:48 AM »
  And I saw a video with Darren Pang urging the linesmen to let Binnington and Fleury go.   :lol

I wish they would have so Fleury could have put Binnington over his knee and spanked him like the child he is. Would have loved to see Binnington get embarrassed on home ice.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #985 on: March 16, 2023, 09:58:04 AM »

Goalie fights rule.

Ron Hextall vs Chelios = my fave memory.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline pg1067

« Reply #986 on: March 16, 2023, 09:59:52 AM »

Goalie fights rule.

I’ll just leave this here.

And this.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #987 on: March 16, 2023, 10:03:47 AM »
man, I forgot how much of a goon Roy was!   :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #988 on: March 16, 2023, 10:05:05 AM »
Great .... now I'm going down a rathole - Top 10 Goalie fights

Offline pg1067

« Reply #989 on: March 16, 2023, 10:06:23 AM »
If you're going to go down a hole, it might as well be that.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #990 on: March 16, 2023, 02:28:44 PM »
Having MAF mic'ed up for this game makes this whole thing even better when he came out to want to fight Binnington.

https://twitter.com/mnwild/status/1636450654615904268

Offline pg1067

« Reply #991 on: March 16, 2023, 02:34:33 PM »
Having MAF mic'ed up for this game makes this whole thing even better when he came out to want to fight Binnington.

That's awesome!  "It'll be fun, no?"

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #992 on: March 16, 2023, 02:39:03 PM »

That's awesome!  "It'll be fun, no?"

Fantastic!

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #993 on: March 16, 2023, 02:54:20 PM »
That was hilarious 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #994 on: March 16, 2023, 02:55:44 PM »
"I don't like having my hair like this"  :rollin
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #995 on: March 16, 2023, 07:58:14 PM »
To demonstrate where I am on Binnington these days, a couple of people were talking about this at work today, and one, who didn't see the game, heard about it what happened and asked, "Why did he do that?"  And I just retorted, "Because he's an asshole."  My fellow hockey fan kinda gave that "well, yeah" head nod.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #996 on: March 17, 2023, 04:13:54 AM »
jingle.son said to me yesterday "winning the cup was the worst thing that happened to his career".... in that he now has the biggest ego of any goalie (maybe any player) in the league, and still thinks he's an elite goalie who's 'all that', when in reality, he'd be playing in the minors if not for his huge contract.  I wonder when the math to buy him out makes it feasible?

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #997 on: March 17, 2023, 05:56:52 AM »
The Boston sports fans can answer, but is Kevin Wildes (who is a Boston guy) not a hockey fan? 

I caught the blurb on First Things First where they showed that Binnington dustup (they usually never show hockey stuff, but two goalies almost fighting got it 20 seconds of air time), and Wildes ended it with, "the goalie's name is Binnington," like he was some no-name he had never heard of, but, and I don't say this to be a wise ass (honest), I would think any Bruins fans will never forget who he is after the 2019 finish.  It seemed weird that Wildes talked about him like it was the first time he had heard of him.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #998 on: March 17, 2023, 06:07:00 AM »
Great game against Tampa last night, despite the outcome. Back and forth all night, big penalty kills and momentum swings on both sides and we got some bonus hockey thanks to a couple Timo Meier goals. Glad we at least got one point and I think these games against a veteran Tampa team will be good for the Devils to get a sense of what a successful playoff team plays like.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #999 on: March 17, 2023, 06:45:27 AM »
The Boston sports fans can answer, but is Kevin Wildes (who is a Boston guy) not a hockey fan? 

I caught the blurb on First Things First where they showed that Binnington dustup (they usually never show hockey stuff, but two goalies almost fighting got it 20 seconds of air time), and Wildes ended it with, "the goalie's name is Binnington," like he was some no-name he had never heard of, but, and I don't say this to be a wise ass (honest), I would think any Bruins fans will never forget who he is after the 2019 finish.  It seemed weird that Wildes talked about him like it was the first time he had heard of him.

He's from Connecticut but was never on local sport shows. I think is was originally on ESPN. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #1000 on: March 17, 2023, 06:48:10 AM »

Isn't the NHL an afterthought in the US media? I've seen ESPN run early season MLB and NBA regular season highlights ahead of NHL playoff hockey.  In many markets,  college sports get more coverage than hockey. I've never watched First Things First,  but i wouldn't be surprised if someone told me that was the first hockey they'd ever seen.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1001 on: March 17, 2023, 07:29:09 AM »

I've never heard of Wildes. 

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1002 on: March 17, 2023, 07:59:36 AM »
Hmmm, okay.  First Things First is the only national sports shows I can watch, and when I say that, I mean I can watch a few daily clips on topics I want to hear talked about.  Broussard is okay, but Wildes and Nick Wright are both highly entertaining, and the chemistry between them all is pretty dynamite.  And, no, they never talk hockey. :(

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1003 on: March 17, 2023, 08:15:41 AM »
They playfully poke at each other all the time. I like the banter.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1004 on: March 17, 2023, 08:49:49 AM »
Never heard of him.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1005 on: March 17, 2023, 08:54:15 AM »

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #1006 on: March 17, 2023, 09:43:04 AM »

Isn't the NHL an afterthought in the US media? I've seen ESPN run early season MLB and NBA regular season highlights ahead of NHL playoff hockey.  In many markets,  college sports get more coverage than hockey. I've never watched First Things First,  but i wouldn't be surprised if someone told me that was the first hockey they'd ever seen.

It pretty much is an afterthought here.  I remember some people being a little miffed about a discussion on an ESPN segment where they were talking about NYC teams on whose the closest to winning a championship while disregarding the Rangers for whatever reasons (even though they are the highest valued team, when it comes to net worth, in the league and probably the most recognizable team in mainstream eyes.  It's them or the Bs.). 

Not that I care much.  Here in Southern California and the LA areas, the Kings are roughly, at best, the 6th most talked team here after Dodgers, Lakers, Rams, USC/UCLA teams and the MLS teams may overtake them at some point.  Not that I mind though.  I like where the Kings are at right now and don't care if anyone talks about them.  It's better than being the Lakers, whose always being talked about, and not fulfilling high expectations.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1007 on: March 17, 2023, 09:54:28 AM »

Add me to the list of people who've never heard of Kevin Wildes.

And yes, for the most part, the NHL is an afterthought for national media.  From roughly July through February, the NFL is King.  The NBA takes the lead as soon as the Super Bowl is done until the NBA finals, except for the NFL's annual paint-drying festival (i.e., the draft and the interminable speculation leading up to it).  Minor league (err....college) football gets a bit of a spike in early January, and baseball gets a spike when it's playoff time and for a few weeks between the end of the NBA finals and the start of NFL preseason.  Even the Stanley Cup final won't move the needle nationally unless one of the "special" teams is playing.  Local and regional media are a different story in some places, though.  But not here in LA.  When the Kings won the Cup in 2012, local media finally started paying attention, but the letsgokings.com website kept a running track of all of the mistaken uses of the Sacramento Kings logo and references to "Kings defenseman Brad Doty."

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1008 on: March 17, 2023, 11:30:50 AM »
The Avs got gifted their victory last night.  Refs make an absolutely mindboggling call for what ended up being the GWG - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2IK1jOzY98s

Oh, and if you watch the REF, he has his whistle in his mouth the whole fucking time, but doesn't blow it until he sees the puck in the net.  There is 0% chance he could see the puck, and there is no possible explanation to justify this call.

Maybe Gary's had it right all along ... the league doing what they can to help their darling's out.   :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1009 on: March 17, 2023, 11:57:38 AM »
I think we've talked about this here before, but the NFL has no season.  They have a knack for trumping all the other sports.  I forget what the announcement was, but I recall they made a huge announcement a couple years ago right in the MIDDLE of March Madness (the NCAA tournament) and many of us here thought it wasn't at all a coincidence.

Jingle, Andy Brickley, one of the B's announcers, has taken to judging all the penalties called for or against the B's (particularly Brad Marchand) as "penalties" and "reputation penalties".  He's not entirely wrong, either.  A couple games ago, Marchand got rammed into the boards head first - the text book example of boarding - and no call.  Two games ago, against Detroit, Patrice Bergeron got speared in the throat by the blade end of Seider's stick and no call.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1010 on: March 17, 2023, 12:48:53 PM »
Jingle, Andy Brickley, one of the B's announcers, has taken to judging all the penalties called for or against the B's (particularly Brad Marchand) as "penalties" and "reputation penalties".  He's not entirely wrong, either.  A couple games ago, Marchand got rammed into the boards head first - the text book example of boarding - and no call.  Two games ago, against Detroit, Patrice Bergeron got speared in the throat by the blade end of Seider's stick and no call.

I don't doubt it.  Bunting on the Leafs gets the same treatment.  I'm sure there are dozens of players across the league that get both 'pro' and 'con' calls for or against them because of their reputation.

I don't have a horse in the race about the Avs/Sens situation last night.  It could've been Nashville/Chicago game for all I care.  The teams involved don't sway my opinion about what a clearly bad/wrong call that was.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1011 on: March 17, 2023, 12:57:23 PM »

Jingle, Andy Brickley, one of the B's announcers, has taken to judging all the penalties called for or against the B's (particularly Brad Marchand) as "penalties" and "reputation penalties".

It's the stench of Jack Edwards.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #1012 on: March 17, 2023, 04:41:48 PM »
I'm fine with penalties not being called on hits to Marchand.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1013 on: March 17, 2023, 05:08:31 PM »
The Avs got gifted their victory last night.  Refs make an absolutely mindboggling call for what ended up being the GWG - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2IK1jOzY98s

Oh, and if you watch the REF, he has his whistle in his mouth the whole fucking time, but doesn't blow it until he sees the puck in the net.  There is 0% chance he could see the puck, and there is no possible explanation to justify this call.

At 0:31 of the video, you can clearly see the linesman signaling no icing.  He then drops his arms and signals it again.  No whistle.  No reason for anyone to stop playing.  That's just lazy/sloppy on the Sens.  Just cover the damn puck.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1014 on: March 17, 2023, 09:49:53 PM »

At 0:31 of the video, you can clearly see the linesman signaling no icing.  He then drops his arms and signals it again.  No whistle.  No reason for anyone to stop playing.  That's just lazy/sloppy on the Sens.  Just cover the damn puck.

The beef isn't on the waived off icing.  I don't disagree ... you play to the whistle.  But A) the puck was covered.  B) Eller clearly pushes the goalie's leg/pad away to then be able to put the puck in the net.  On A... why the fuck after 3-4 seconds was the whistle not blown?  The referee (who had the whistle in his mouth) could not have in any conceivable way been able to see the puck from the angle he was at.  B) how is that not goalie interference?  Rule 69:

Goals should be disallowed only if: (1) an attacking player, either by his positioning or by contact, impairs the goalkeeper’s ability to move freely within his crease or defend his goal; or (2) an attacking player initiates intentional or deliberate contact with a goalkeeper, inside or outside of his goal crease.

On both counts, Eller interfered with the goalie.

Tell me if that wasn't an LA King goaltender you wouldn't be fuming.