Author Topic: NHL 2022-2023: FA July 13th - LET IT BEGIN  (Read 67439 times)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: NHL 2022-2023: FA July 13th - LET IT BEGIN
« Reply #805 on: February 25, 2023, 03:31:21 PM »
I easily think the Oilers can come out of the Pacific, and even the West in general. Not sure if the Avs can get healthy enough in time.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #806 on: February 25, 2023, 04:10:52 PM »
I easily think the Oilers can come out of the Pacific, and even the West in general. Not sure if the Avs can get healthy enough in time.
I like their odds, as well. I'm just terrified about the defense and tending. West is wide open this year.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #807 on: February 25, 2023, 07:51:36 PM »
Ulmark with an empty netter!!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #808 on: February 25, 2023, 08:47:31 PM »

I heard. :lol

Joe, we went to a brutal 60th birthday party at probably the worst restaurant in our town. The only thing that got me through was coming home and watching the Bruins game, which my son taped for me. My wife turned on the radio, and I shut it off because I didn't want to hear a score.
You texted me literally as I was backing the car into our driveway. :lol :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #809 on: February 25, 2023, 09:01:20 PM »
You suck!  You watch every game live!  I feel so bad!!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline pg1067

« Reply #810 on: February 25, 2023, 10:12:41 PM »
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #811 on: February 25, 2023, 10:22:28 PM »
That was pretty awesome

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #812 on: February 26, 2023, 06:02:53 AM »
That was pretty awesome

It was.... except hearing Edwards nearly give himself a stroke he was so giddy.  He's gotta be the worst homer commentator in the league - though to be fair, I haven't heard all of them.  I'm "seeing history"??  Thank god for the reasoned color from Brickley.  That guy is gold.  Edwards is a clown.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #813 on: February 26, 2023, 09:02:07 AM »
Nice to see the Devils put up a touchdown on Philly last night, and now hearing that the Canes may be out on Timo Meier which is welcome news.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #814 on: February 26, 2023, 11:48:55 AM »
That was pretty awesome

It was.... except hearing Edwards nearly give himself a stroke he was so giddy.  He's gotta be the worst homer commentator in the league - though to be fair, I haven't heard all of them.  I'm "seeing history"??  Thank god for the reasoned color from Brickley.  That guy is gold.  Edwards is a clown.

Yeah...I was thinking the same thing.  I don't know the guy, but I was thinking "overkill much, buddy?"  History?  LOL!
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #815 on: February 26, 2023, 12:34:51 PM »
That was pretty awesome

I think Andy Brickley is outstanding. He's been a tad infected by Jack, but I'm often times embarrassed for him.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #816 on: February 26, 2023, 01:19:38 PM »
Eh, I think most local announcers tend to be major homers who go over the top with calls of big plays for the home team. They are calling the games for the local audience, not a national one, so hyperbole is par for the course.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #817 on: February 26, 2023, 01:25:26 PM »
Sorry, not sorry.  I like Jack's homerism. He's exciting to listen to.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #818 on: February 26, 2023, 01:30:09 PM »
Sorry, not sorry.  I like Jack's homerism. He's exciting to listen to.

He's a pain in the ass and embarrassing.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #819 on: February 26, 2023, 01:30:56 PM »
For people who are Islander fans.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #820 on: February 26, 2023, 01:34:54 PM »
Hew Hampshire doesn't even have a hockey team.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #821 on: February 26, 2023, 01:48:54 PM »
Boston is closer than Long Island for you.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #822 on: February 26, 2023, 01:51:23 PM »
 :lol

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #823 on: February 26, 2023, 02:26:21 PM »

I heard. :lol

Joe, we went to a brutal 60th birthday party at probably the worst restaurant in our town. The only thing that got me through was coming home and watching the Bruins game, which my son taped for me. My wife turned on the radio, and I shut it off because I didn't want to hear a score.
You texted me literally as I was backing the car into our driveway. :lol :lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4BxeSOem_0

...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #824 on: February 26, 2023, 02:27:03 PM »
 :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #825 on: February 26, 2023, 02:39:55 PM »
Eh, I think most local announcers tend to be major homers who go over the top with calls of big plays for the home team. They are calling the games for the local audience, not a national one, so hyperbole is par for the course.

You think wrong - at least, speaking about the SportsNet crews.  Sure, there's a little more excitement when calling the goals for the Canadian teams, but otherwise they're fairly balanced.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #826 on: February 26, 2023, 02:55:45 PM »
Barbashev to the Knights.
Meier to the Devils.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #827 on: February 26, 2023, 03:53:51 PM »
That was pretty awesome

I think Andy Brickley is outstanding. He's been a tad infected by Jack, but I'm often times embarrassed for him.
Jack Edwards is a running joke between my stepson and I.  I love him. He's insane, and I'm convinced he drinks his way through the game (listen to his post-games with Jim Montgomery; they are hilarious as he slurs his words trying to get his questions out) but I love him.  And in terms of pure hockey game calling, he's very good.  "Homer" isn't the word, though.  I don't know if he still does, but for a long time he lived in the next town over from me, and I'm dying to run into him at Dunkin or something.  Andy is very good at hockey knowledge, but sometimes his sing-song delivery is boring, and he's as much of a homer as anyone ("David Pastrnak turns the puck over a lot, but all the great ones do".  No, no they don't!  That's why they are great, because they DON'T turn the puck over you moron!)

I also love Edwards' commercials; "The Bostonians" are hilarious (though it helps that the girl is cute). "GOOOAAAAAAL!"   "GOOOAAAAAALLLLL!"

EDIT:  It's also a well-established Boston practice for the announcers to BE big-time homers.  The old school Celtic announcers were the worst.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #828 on: February 26, 2023, 04:07:37 PM »
I grew up to Fred Cusick and Johnny Pierson calling the Bruins games, and holy shit were they homers.

Brick is amazing, but he's been working with Jack too long.

And Stads...The Bostonians commercials blow!  :lol

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #829 on: February 26, 2023, 07:06:13 PM »
The official Meier trade per the Sharks' Twitter.  That's a lot of pieces going towards one team to another, both ways.

https://twitter.com/SanJoseSharks/status/1630025454047621120

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #830 on: February 26, 2023, 07:10:34 PM »
I'm pretty happy with that, we land Timo and didn't surrender any of our top-tier prospects in the process.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #831 on: February 26, 2023, 09:37:04 PM »

LA Kings fans have been hugely fortunate in this regard.  We had HHOF'er Bob Miller for the better part of 45 years (long before I started following hockey).  When he retired in 2017, we got Alex Faust, who is outstanding.  And, also for longer than I've been following the sport, we've had Jim Fox as the color analyst.  On the radio side, we've had HHOF'er Nick Nickson for nearly 35 years.  When I first started following hockey in the early '90s, Nickson's partner was Brian Engblom.  Daryl Evans (of Miracle on Manchester fame) took his spot beside Nickson in 1998 and remains there today.  All of these guys strike a great balance between wanting the Kings to do well and being critical when it's warranted (as it was today).

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #832 on: February 27, 2023, 07:16:04 PM »
Wow, one period in and I'm out of breath. Jeezus, McDavid is ridiculous. He's a threat every shift. You have to know where he is at all times. And those turbo jets....holy shit!

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #833 on: February 27, 2023, 09:14:10 PM »
These are the few times I really appreciate the Bs.  Thank you for taking care of business against the Kraken and Oilers in regulation.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #834 on: February 27, 2023, 09:16:26 PM »
That game was intense.

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #835 on: February 28, 2023, 05:25:29 AM »
That double minor with 4:30 to go was a bad time to take a penalty.  I was surprised Boston went with what i assume is their regular 5 on 3 lineup of 5 forwards knowing full well that the Oilers were going to go for it by sending McDavid and Draisaitl out for that kill.  As it is, the oil lead the league in shorties. It clearly still worked out for the B's, but i think they'd have preferred it wasn't end-to-end action like that when they have a 2 man advantage. Exciting game last night. Another tough outing Wednesday against the leafs.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #836 on: February 28, 2023, 07:06:07 AM »
Wow, one period in and I'm out of breath. Jeezus, McDavid is ridiculous. He's a threat every shift. You have to know where he is at all times. And those turbo jets....holy shit!

I watched the game with my stepson, and I literally said the exact same thing:  a player like that you need to know where he is - including on the bench - at every moment.  The local guys - Billy Jaffe and Andrew Raycroft - both said, you  can't stop him, you can only hope to keep him UNDER three points.  And they did that.  I thought they looked really good.  I REALLY love how they spread the scoring across all four lines.  That's going to be key when the season starts (i.e. the playoffs).

Online TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #837 on: February 28, 2023, 01:18:27 PM »
Oh my god is the Patrick Kane trade actually happening?!
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #838 on: February 28, 2023, 01:23:46 PM »

I watched the game with my stepson, and I literally said the exact same thing:  a player like that you need to know where he is - including on the bench - at every moment.  The local guys - Billy Jaffe and Andrew Raycroft - both said, you  can't stop him, you can only hope to keep him UNDER three points.  And they did that.  I thought they looked really good.  I REALLY love how they spread the scoring across all four lines.  That's going to be key when the season starts (i.e. the playoffs).

I thought the Bruins were solid, but I didn't think they were crisp at all. I thought they were intimidated by the Oilers' speed. Keep in mind, this is the fastest Bruins team I've ever seen.
The ice looked choppy and pucks were bouncing all over the place. Their timing looked off the entire night.

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #839 on: February 28, 2023, 01:29:22 PM »
Oh my god is the Patrick Kane trade actually happening?!

Yeah, looks like it's happening.  The Coyotes will be a 3rd team to eat up 1/4th of that giant cap hit, but who cares about that.  It's the move people probably thought was going to happen at the trade deadline and here we go.  The Rangers got one souped up Top Six (even if Kane may be banged up and not producing at a pace like he has always done).