Author Topic: NHL 2022-2023: FA July 13th - LET IT BEGIN  (Read 65906 times)

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Re: NHL 2022-2023: FA July 13th - LET IT BEGIN
« Reply #735 on: February 18, 2023, 02:55:31 PM »
4th line depth is what the Leafs need. Defense has not been their problem - they’re 7th in the league in GAA. They’re D is a pretty solid 8 players, + Muzzin IF he returns.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #736 on: February 18, 2023, 02:58:47 PM »
4th line depth is what the Leafs need. Defense has not been their problem - they’re 7th in the league in GAA. They’re D is a pretty solid 8 players, + Muzzin IF he returns.

Gotcha!

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #737 on: February 18, 2023, 07:34:16 PM »
It will be a good deal for the Leafs if they can make a deep playoff run.

Of course, a deep playoff run for them would be getting to the 2nd round.  :lol :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #738 on: February 18, 2023, 07:38:04 PM »
I can definitely see them getting by Tampa in the first round.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #739 on: February 19, 2023, 06:37:21 AM »
Ironically, Acciari was the better player last night.  4 quality chances, and he made the 4th line relevant.  Odd choice (to me) to put RO'R on a line that moved Tavares to the wing - the latter looked like he was unsure of himself.  I wonder when it was the last time he played the wing?  I still think RO'R would be better slotted as the 3rd line Centre.  Keefe's got 26 games to experiment.

Now just gotta polish off Chicago, and take 8 points on this 5-game span.  Nice to see TB lose in regulation.  Home ice advantage is going to be key (imo).

Columbus W 3-0
Columbus L 4-3
Chicago W 5-2
Montreal W 5-1

Chicago
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #740 on: February 19, 2023, 06:54:46 PM »
JFC... twice in the span of just over a week they lose to the last place team in the entire fucking league in regulation.  Fuck this team is frustrating!

Columbus W 3-0
Columbus L 4-3
Chicago W 5-2
Montreal W 5-1
Chicago L 5-3

4/8 points against the 2 worst teams in the league.  :zeltar:

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #741 on: February 19, 2023, 07:10:39 PM »
6 out of 10 points Chad?
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #742 on: February 19, 2023, 07:32:28 PM »
Oil have dropped 3 straight in extra time. I appreciate the Bettman points, but i worry these missed single points are going to hurt in the long run.  They're keeping pace in the Pacific, but they can't afford to keep missing opportunities to distance themselves from the WC chase.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #743 on: February 19, 2023, 07:35:02 PM »
Oil have dropped 3 straight in extra time. I appreciate the Bettman points, but i worry these missed single points are going to hurt in the long run.  They're keeping pace in the Pacific, but they can't afford to keep missing opportunities to distance themselves from the WC chase.

How come the Oilers never seem to gain any traction?

The Bruins are out there next Monday I think. Looking forward to the game.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #744 on: February 19, 2023, 08:24:10 PM »

They are keeping pace, but it doesn't really help their cause when the three teams ahead of them in the Pacific are winning their games.  Still, with the standings are being paced, I highly doubt we will get to see a Pacific vs Central pairing in the playoffs.

Online SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #745 on: February 19, 2023, 09:47:01 PM »

How come the Oilers never seem to gain any traction?

The goaltending has gotten leaky again.  Campbell's GAA the last 3 have been .82 vs. DET, .85 vs. NYR and .89 vs. COL today.  And they blew 3 goal leads inthe NYR and COL games. Since of the goals have been brutal d break downs that Campbell had no chance on,  but he just hasn't been good enough

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #746 on: February 20, 2023, 06:05:51 AM »
6 out of 10 points Chad?

Yeah... 6/10 on this 5-game stretch; 4/8 against Chi/CBJ - the literal 2 worst teams in the league (at the time they played them ... they're no longer the 2 worst, thanks to *their* Wins against Toronto!  :lol  :|).  Not even getting the loser point is disappointing.  They were completely gassed last night.  And now they've got a stretch of teams fighting hard to get/stay in the playoff hunt - Buf, Min, Sea, Edm, Cgy.  Looking at their March schedule, there aren't many 'easy' games.  Those missed 4 points were an opportunity to put a bit of separation between them and Tampa.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #747 on: February 20, 2023, 06:31:05 AM »
Solid weekend for the Devils with regulation wins over Pittsburgh and Winnipeg, and good to see them playing well in those wins as well. There were some games recently where we definitely didn't look like the better team on the ice. Which, it's good to see that we can still find a way to win when we don't have our A game, but it's nice when the 2 points feel well deserved.

Maybe even more so than the the team's current on-ice performance though, the fanbase is locked in on the Timo Meier sweepstakes. He would be a perfect fit for our top six with his size and scoring. I do like that from what I've heard though, we won't trade for him unless we can work out a new contract. Our contention window is just starting to open, no need to trade away multiple high value assets for a rental. I do worry though, the other supposed finalist is Carolina, so if we miss out then we could be stuck seeing a lot of him on the opposing team in the coming years.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #748 on: February 20, 2023, 06:39:10 AM »
Carolina is definitely going to make a move.  They've got a lot of cap space to fill with Pacioretty on LTIR for another year.

Online pg1067

« Reply #749 on: February 20, 2023, 10:26:18 AM »
Kings and Ducks.  I hate the Sharks more, but man, those Kings/Ducks game gets really chippy.  Late in the 2nd, a Ducks player gave a face shove on Copley.  Copley didn't like it which caused a huge scrum.  I think Gibson almost wanted to get into a goalie fight as well.  Copley got ejected.  Doughty and Mikey Anderson got in the box for 5 minutes.  Quick had to step in.  Let a goal in during that 5 minute major.  Not good when our top D pairing is in the box.  Things looked really shaky when it comes to protecting the lead, but the Kings power play was humming nicely to get us out of that mess.  Had 3 PPG goals.

First match penalty on a goalie since Garth Snow (then of the Islanders) got one in November 2002.  Snow also punch an opponent with his blocker.  The difference was that Snow actually got suspended.

I'm not sure Gibson wanted any part of a fight with Copley there.  He did the minimum required by skating to center ice and banging his stick on the ice, but I don't think it'd have gone well for him had the ref not restrained Copley.

Unfortunately, the Kings giving up a couple to Anaheim foreshadowed the meltdown against Arizona.  Damn good thing they salvaged that in the shootout, but not getting the RW or ROW will come back to bite them.  HUGE road trip coming up.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #750 on: February 20, 2023, 01:23:45 PM »
Carolina is definitely going to make a move.  They've got a lot of cap space to fill with Pacioretty on LTIR for another year.
I don't know about that, but I know with the outdoor game they had at the football stadium Saturday, traffic was REALLY gnarly.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #751 on: February 21, 2023, 09:28:01 PM »
Red Wings are 6-1 through their last 7 games, and 5 of those were a mainly Western Canada road trip. With a little bit of health and stability, as well as a few guys stepping up the Red Wings look to have finally taken that next step they were expected to this year.

This takes the trade deadline play from obvious sellers to who the hell knows. Next few weeks will be very interesting.

What really sucks is the best case scenario still isn't totally perfect. Even if the Wings win every single game, even if they are in playoff position come the deadline, I still don't know that you buy. And the sad part of that is they are one of the few teams that actually has cap space. Even with a big add I don't see them as serious contenders.

Only two types of moves really make sense to me.
1. A guy like JVR from the Flyers who has a high cap hit, and might be hard for a lot of teams to fit with 50% salary retention. Take 100% of his salary instead for a more mild return, just a little something extra to reward the team and make a push.
2. A decent contract with extra term or upcoming RFA that helps in years to come as the team continues to build.

But given how patient the team has been through the rebuild, I don't see anything happening unless it's a clear cut win for them.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #752 on: February 22, 2023, 05:04:52 AM »
Like Buffalo, I think the Wings should just be patient and stick to the bigger plan.  Being this close to playoff contention is part of the plan - making the playoffs would be gravy.  It's reminiscent of the Leafs in '17.  Their win in game 82 gave them a 1st round series against the Caps, and was an added bonus to the development of the team.  Unless either of them might be able to grab Gibson (who still has 4 years of term left),   I don't think either Yzermand or Adams should do a damned thing as a 'push' for the playoffs this year.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #753 on: February 22, 2023, 07:51:43 AM »
Like Buffalo, I think the Wings should just be patient and stick to the bigger plan.  Being this close to playoff contention is part of the plan - making the playoffs would be gravy.  It's reminiscent of the Leafs in '17.  Their win in game 82 gave them a 1st round series against the Caps, and was an added bonus to the development of the team.  Unless either of them might be able to grab Gibson (who still has 4 years of term left),   I don't think either Yzermand or Adams should do a damned thing as a 'push' for the playoffs this year.

I basically agree. I didn't mention it in my first post, but now the question becomes what to do with Bertuzzi especially. A few weeks ago they would obviously look to move him. Now it's looking more likely their trade deadline "move" may be simply keeping him as an in house rental.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #754 on: February 22, 2023, 04:44:07 PM »
What the Kings did in that spot, last season, was trade a 7th pick for Troy Stecher.  Depth D man that was really needed since all the D-man on the Kings' opening night roster were injured at the time.  The best thing they did in that spot was not overreact and say, "We need to spend a 1st round pick to get a pending UFA rental."  That said, I was more than ok if they spent other picks, outside of the 1st, on someone like Phil Kessel.  So for the Sens, Sabres, and Red Wings, they should try to see if they can get something along the lines of depth guy that's under the radar that could help the team down the stretch without blowing up 1st round picks or high prospects.

I don't know what the Kings should be doing this deadline.  I kinda joked about wanting Määttä back, but he got extended by the Red Wings so that's a no go.  Everyone thinks we should get a goalie, but getting a goalie is a huge no-go unless they think they can trade Cal Petersen's contract at a price that doesn't kill the team and get someone like Gibson or Demko or Karel Vejmelka (which the Kings kinda slit their throats on that one, scoring 5 goals on 14 shots on that guy).  If the prices to do those things aren't where Rob Blake likes it to be, I'm all in favor of them trying to get a good shutdown D-men rental (preferably left D).

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #755 on: February 22, 2023, 06:05:27 PM »
I would really love to watch some hockey tonight.

But...
The Bruins are off.
I'm not paying for ESPN+. Fuck that!
TNT has how many games per week? Is it one? When is it..I know, it's tonight, but it's a late game.
I turn on the NHL network for highlights/live look ins of tonight's games, and it's ANOTHER Rivalry Series game between the US and Canada womens' teams. Who fucking cares?? Do they one play each other all year long?

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #756 on: February 22, 2023, 06:31:57 PM »
Do they one play each other all year long?

No kidding! That matchup lost all it's luster about twenty games ago. Snoozefest central right there.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #757 on: February 22, 2023, 06:33:57 PM »
Well, they’re the only two countries that have competitive women’s hockey talent, so it’s that or nothing to promote women’s hockey.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #758 on: February 22, 2023, 06:39:42 PM »
Well, they’re the only two countries that have competitive women’s hockey talent, so it’s that or nothing to promote women’s hockey.

Can't they put it on Lifetime or the damn Hallmark channel? You know, channels that women actually watch.

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #759 on: February 22, 2023, 06:58:20 PM »

Totally get that but…..every other month it’s “the showdown of the decade” or something like that.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #760 on: February 22, 2023, 07:11:02 PM »

Can't they put it on Lifetime or the damn Hallmark channel? You know, channels that women actually watch.

Jesus dude. Are you saying only women should watch women’s sports?!?

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #761 on: February 22, 2023, 07:14:53 PM »
I don't think most women even watch women's sports.

Just ask Bill Burr.  "Name your top five WNBA players! You can't do it!"

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #762 on: February 22, 2023, 07:18:03 PM »

No. But if men watched women's sports, there'd be more of a market for them. Men don't care and putting them on the men's hockey channel is only going to piss men off more.

I'd venture to guess that the NHL Network's demos have to be at least 80% men..probably 90%.

Women's hockey should be on a Saturday afternoon on actual channel that women actually watch.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #763 on: February 22, 2023, 07:19:17 PM »
I don't think most women even watch women's sports.

Just ask Bill Burr.  "Name your top five WNBA players! You can't do it!"

Exactly.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #764 on: February 22, 2023, 07:29:54 PM »
Tim, you'd love Bill Burr's rant on that.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #765 on: February 22, 2023, 07:32:05 PM »
Tim, you'd love Bill Burr's rant on that.

I've seen it and he's dead on, as usual.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #766 on: February 22, 2023, 07:58:37 PM »

No. But if men watched women's sports, there'd be more of a market for them. Men don't care and putting them on the men's hockey channel is only going to piss men off more.

I'd venture to guess that the NHL Network's demos have to be at least 80% men..probably 90%.

Women's hockey should be on a Saturday afternoon on actual channel that women actually watch.

Wow. “men’s hockey channel”. I’m kinda at a loss for words.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #767 on: February 22, 2023, 08:00:12 PM »
It's the NHL Network.

Do any women play in the NHL?

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #768 on: February 22, 2023, 08:03:24 PM »
You’re right.  It deserves to be a 100% sausage fest. Fire all the broad commentators while they’re at it.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #769 on: February 22, 2023, 08:05:45 PM »
No one said that, and now you're just intentionally being emotional and creating a straw man.

It's the NHL Network. 

The NHL features men playing hockey.

This is not difficult to connect the dots.