Author Topic: NHL 2022-2023: FA July 13th - LET IT BEGIN  (Read 67509 times)

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Re: NHL 2022-2023: Montreal is on the board
« Reply #35 on: July 10, 2022, 08:14:34 PM »
Apparently The Leafs are front running to trade for Matt Murray. To eat that salary, they’ll have to give up a decent sized salary, and Jake Muzzin would likely maybe the logical deal - I get the sense that the Sens could use that kind of defenceman. 

Though I must say,a tandem of Murray and Campbell would be quite appealing.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #36 on: July 11, 2022, 06:18:54 PM »
So it's official.  Matt Murray (along with a few inconsequential picks) is going to the Leafs for future considerations.  Senators retain 25% of the cap hit for two years.  I'm sure people will be coming after Kyle Dubas with pitchfork and torches with this trade being done.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #37 on: July 11, 2022, 07:44:03 PM »
What kind of money can I make on $100 if I place a bet now that the Leafs make it to the 2nd round and Matt Murray starts all games in the first round? Not that I'd do it, but given Leafs fans reactions I think the odds have to make that kind of bet worth it. :lol
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #38 on: July 12, 2022, 04:44:07 AM »
So it's official.  Matt Murray (along with a few inconsequential picks) is going to the Leafs for future considerations.  Senators retain 25% of the cap hit for two years.  I'm sure people will be coming after Kyle Dubas with pitchfork and torches with this trade being done.

I'm not sure how they eat that cap space.  And I'm still unsure that Murray can be the guy that carries the #1 goalie spot.  Also, shockingly...Murray was a Sault Greyhound in the Jrs (where Dubas was GM).  If this isn't part of a bigger plan, and they're walking away from Campbell, I'm going to be disappointed.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
Re: NHL 2022-2023: FA July 13th - Gaudreau coming to a town near you?
« Reply #39 on: July 12, 2022, 03:07:55 PM »
Flyers today bought out the final year of Oskar Lindblom's contract. That gives them a 3m+ cap savings this year, and in a vacuum based on hockey performance it's hard to disagree with the move. That said when you bring in a questionable character like DeAngelo while shipping out a league wide feel good story like Lindblom it's tough to see.

Now is where things get interesting for them going into free agency. In order to sign Johnny Gaudreau, who has had rumored links to Philly his whole career they have one of three options per most sources. Shell out even more draft assets to send James Van Riemsdyk to Arizona, Anaheim, etc, or find a trade partner for Provorov or Konecny. All of this is predicated on their belief that this "aggressive retool" will put them in contention this year. And since that stance is laughable, I will laugh my ass off if any of those things happen.
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #40 on: July 12, 2022, 03:47:15 PM »
So Detroit takes Lalonde from Tampa, Tampa takes longtime Red Wings coach Blashill as an assistant. The next logical step is for Ondrej Palat to come to Detroit I think.

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #41 on: July 12, 2022, 06:26:38 PM »
Ottawa has been making some noise in the last few days.  At first, before the draft day, I didn't think their roster have quite enough to convince Claude Giroux to take a chance on them.  As of right now, they are getting closer.  We'll see how they fare on FA day tomorrow.  For the teams at the bottom with a lot of space, they need their version of a Phillip Danault-like signing to change their luck around.  Maybe the Senators gets theirs.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #42 on: July 12, 2022, 08:57:00 PM »
I’m not sure they’re in the playoff hunt this year, but it’s not entire unforeseeable that they could supplant Boston, given the latter’s injury issues.

Campbell rumoured to be going to The Oil; Johnny hockey to the Isles?  Finally they’d have a marquee name.

Jingle.son predicts Mallon to The Caps.

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #43 on: July 12, 2022, 09:00:12 PM »
Malkin to the Capitals would be interesting.  Apparently, negotiations really soured in the end between him and the Pens.  Signing with their biggest rival would be quite a spite move and it would be such an intrigue to see him and Ovi on the same team.

Edit: All right, I don't know what happened anymore.  Malkin just signed with the Pens at the very last min.  Just right now.

https://www.nhl.com/penguins/news/penguins-agree-to-terms-with-forward-evgeni-malkin-to-a-four-year-contract-extension/c-334951704?partnerId=pit-twt-penguins

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #44 on: July 13, 2022, 06:10:18 AM »
As much as i despise the human being, i very much like the Kane signing. 4 years at $5.25M is a fantastic looking contract for the Oil

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #45 on: July 13, 2022, 06:30:16 AM »
Seems like Campbell to the Oil, and Giroux to the Sens are pretty much locked in.

Oilers are gonna be a force in the West, especially if they can find someone to take the minutes that Keith had.

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #46 on: July 13, 2022, 06:50:23 AM »
Seems like Campbell to the Oil, and Giroux to the Sens are pretty much locked in.

Oilers are gonna be a force in the West, especially if they can find someone to take the minutes that Keith had.

Defense will be questionable again next season. Especially if Nurse doesn't bounce back. He was not great last year

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #47 on: July 13, 2022, 06:51:23 AM »
Yeah, full credit to the Sens for making the offseason moves needed to attract people. I think given what they've done if they get Giroux and another decent signing they can really take a big step forward this year.

A guy I feel bad for in the past few months is Cam Talbot. Dude played well for Minnesota only to have them trade for Fleury when there were plenty of others (*cough* Oilers) who would have been a far more logical destination. Then the team resigns Fleury and ships him off.

It got dramatic, but no surprise that Malkin ended up staying with the Penguins.

For the Oilers, the question will remain on the defensive side of things. They will be a force for sure, but unless they improve there they won't get to the cup.

Now for Detroit heading into today, as I mentioned I think as far as logical options Palat is target #1. I would love them to give Lindblom a depth signing as well. But in all cases I doubt they will get too aggressive or crazy with any deals handed out at this point in their rebuild, so it's entirely possible that little if anything happens for them.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #48 on: July 13, 2022, 07:51:51 AM »

Defense will be questionable again next season. Especially if Nurse doesn't bounce back. He was not great last year

They're gonna try the Leaf strategy from a couple years back... win games 6-5, or 7-4.  Ya just need to outscore your mistakes.   :D

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #49 on: July 13, 2022, 08:24:01 AM »
Looks like the Blues are about to announce they've locked Robert Thomas down to an 8 year, $64 million contract. That's a good thing.....that kid is good.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #50 on: July 13, 2022, 10:36:36 AM »
That's a cheap price for Giroux.

Samsonov looks like a good backup, and a good price at $1.8M

$5M x 5 for Campbell is a bit steep (imo).  He hasn't yet displayed consistency or in-season durability / longevity.  Could be a bit of risk - or it could be a grand slam.  Sad to see him not in a Leaf uni.

Trochek to the Rangers

Unofficial
Copp to the Wings (edit ... official now)
Kuemper to the Caps

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #51 on: July 13, 2022, 11:19:24 AM »
How on earth do the Bolts sign Sergachev to 8x8.5m with that roster, yet the Bruins have only 2.5m in cap space heading into today with NO Top 2 centers.

And Sweeney trades Erik Haula, who was pretty good last year, for Pavel Zacha? Like Sweeney doesn't have enough 2015 First Round stiffs of his own?

How this guy not only kept his job, but received an extension is beyond me. I loved him as a player, but I'm really starting to detest him as a GM.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #52 on: July 13, 2022, 11:35:24 AM »
Wasn't McDonagh carrying close to $7M in AAV?  Plus Palat's salary gets freed up.

I just looked up ... Sergachev is an extension, so that $8.5M doesn't kick in until NEXT year.  He's still only a $4.8M cap hit for this season.  They basically just told Ian Cole (or Alex Kilorn) and his $3M (or $4.4M) salary for this year (they're both UFAs next year), "we're not re-signing you next season and giving your salary to Sergachev".

But man... that's now six players in the 8.5ish AAV range (along with Point, Kuch, Stammer, Hedman, Vasi).  $55mish tied up in 6 players.  $30Mish for the other 17 players.  Wow.  And I thought the Leafs 'core four' made the team top heavy!

Edit... tack on Cirelli at $6.25AAV! (for 8 years).  That team has a "Magnificent 7".  Though, Stammer only has 2 years left on his contract.

But, 2024 is the year that escrow is supposedly all paid up, and the cap will be going up a crap-ton.  Lots of contracts are lined up to end that summer.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #53 on: July 13, 2022, 11:37:45 AM »
Wasn't McDonagh carrying close to $7M in AAV?  Plus Palat's salary gets freed up.

I just looked up ... Sergachev is an extension, so that $8.5M doesn't kick in until NEXT year.  He's still only a $4.8M cap hit for this season.  They basically just told Ian Cole (or Alex Kilorn) and his $3M (or $4.4M) salary for this year (they're both UFAs next year), "we're not re-signing you next season and giving your salary to Sergachev".

But man... that's now six players in the 8.5ish AAV range (along with Point, Kuch, Stammer, Hedman, Vasi).  $55mish tied up in 6 players.  $30Mish for the other 17 players.  Wow.  And I thought the Leafs 'core four' made the team top heavy!

Edit... tack on Cirelli at $6.25AAV! (for 8 years).  That team has a "Magnificent 7".  Though, Stammer only has 2 years left on his contract.

But, 2024 is the year that escrow is supposedly all paid up, and the cap will be going up a crap-ton.  Lots of contracts are lined up to end that summer.

Good info there Chad. Just goes to show what a real GM with a plan and knows WTF he is doing looks like.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #54 on: July 13, 2022, 11:41:04 AM »
I'm getting a little concerned about the Kings roster.  I think they got too many bodies signed and two key defensemen RFAs (Sean Durzi and Mikey Anderson) that they need to lock up.  Cap space is down to like $3M now.  Could be vulnerable to offer sheets now.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #55 on: July 13, 2022, 11:45:18 AM »
Looks like the Blues are about to announce they've locked Robert Thomas down to an 8 year, $64 million contract. That's a good thing.....that kid is good.

Blues sign Leddy to 4yr, $16mil deal as well.

I really like both of these signings. Leddy isn't flashy but the instance he came over the Blues defense was able to get set as far as pairings and they really clamped down.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #56 on: July 13, 2022, 12:37:21 PM »
Kuemper 5 x $5.25M to the Caps
Marchment 4x$4.5M to the Stars
Lehkonen stays with the Avs - 5 x $4.5M

Nick... Lindblom to the Sharks.  Oof.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #57 on: July 13, 2022, 12:38:34 PM »
Love the Thomas and Leddy signings, but I am gonna be bummed if we lose Perron, which looks likely.  That ripple effect of Parayko's contract could handicap the team's ability to make moves to get over the top again.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #58 on: July 13, 2022, 12:53:16 PM »
Man, far more aggressive offseason for Detroit than I expected.

Husso traded for and signed previously.

Today already we got
-Copp
-Maatta
-Chiarot

And rumored we'll soon be added Perron as well.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #59 on: July 13, 2022, 12:55:51 PM »
I saw that on Twitter about Perron and the Wings. If that happens, I might very well throw up.

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
  • So often fragile power turns to scorn and ridicule
« Reply #60 on: July 13, 2022, 01:23:15 PM »
So you've chosen Detroit, Nick? Welcome aboard, happy to have you. Yzerman seems to have a real plan in place that he has been developing, so it should hopefully be a fun ride. I'll admit I haven't been following nearly as closely as I used to for some years, but this flurry of activity is exciting to watch. And the Perron deal is reportedly done, according to mlive.com, however reputable that might be. How long it takes to contend remains to be seen, but I'm glad it's Steve at the helm and not Holland as it used to be.
"My melancholy wants to rest in the hiding places and abysses of perfection. This is why I need music." –Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #61 on: July 13, 2022, 01:27:16 PM »
Forgot to mention in my Tampa post, that they are currently $6.4M above the cap

Fuck the Atlantic is gonna be tight.  Detroit and Ottawa have made some significant moves/gains.  Boston's gonna be in for a fight.  Maybe Florida too, because I really think they were punching above their weight class - plus, you never know which Bobs is gonna show up for a full season.

BURAKOVSKY to the Kraken - 5 x $5.5M
And Shane Wright signed his ELC

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #62 on: July 13, 2022, 01:27:56 PM »
Love the Thomas and Leddy signings, but I am gonna be bummed if we lose Perron, which looks likely.  That ripple effect of Parayko's contract could handicap the team's ability to make moves to get over the top again.

I get that sentiment because he's a good 'team' guy and had a pretty good season last year....BUT....he's a 34 year old player with an extensive concussion history.....and missed 20+ games last season with concussion symptoms again. He was wanting $4+ mil for 2-3 years....just a lot of cash for an aging, concussion prone player. We have Kyrou now to sign after this season AND O'Reily is up as well after this season. I'm on Armstrong's side here by not making the full effort to get him back.

And the Paryako deal is a bargain for him. Very good defender who can move the puck well....his play the last half of the season (especially after Leddy came over) was really good. Once you stop asking him to do things he simply can't and just get back to his game....that deal looks like the bargain it is.

The handicapping contracts will start to come to fruition here in two or three years when the aging Schenn, Faulk and Krug's on the team start on the back nine of their careers. Those are the ones that hurt.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2022, 01:55:01 PM by gmillerdrake »

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #63 on: July 13, 2022, 01:34:34 PM »
So you've chosen Detroit, Nick? Welcome aboard, happy to have you.

Indeed. And honestly, given the happenings in the time between leaving the Flyers and now, it's looking like it might not be a temporary switch.

It's so refreshing to have confidence in the process and people in charge as opposed to hoping against all odds that the team succeeds in spite of them.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #64 on: July 13, 2022, 01:46:29 PM »
Interestingly, four teams are above the cap (Bolts, Canucks, Knights, and Panthers).  Four teams are below the floor - Devils, Coyotes, Flames, and Ducks.  The latter is $14M below the minimum  :omg:

Offline Deathless

« Reply #65 on: July 13, 2022, 01:50:57 PM »
So you've chosen Detroit, Nick? Welcome aboard, happy to have you.

Indeed. And honestly, given the happenings in the time between leaving the Flyers and now, it's looking like it might not be a temporary switch.

It's so refreshing to have confidence in the process and people in charge as opposed to hoping against all odds that the team succeeds in spite of them.

Welcome! Today's signings have been interesting, the debate online has been fun to watch. I don't know if any of these guys will push Detroit over the edge, but they are good culture pieces and should help shore up the defensive zone too.

Offline romdrums

« Reply #66 on: July 13, 2022, 01:51:13 PM »
I saw that on Twitter about Perron and the Wings. If that happens, I might very well throw up.

Don't worry, the Wings will likely send him back to St. Louis at a trade deadline in the future for a 1st or a 2nd round draft pick.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #67 on: July 13, 2022, 01:56:55 PM »

Don't worry, the Wings will likely send him back to St. Louis at a trade deadline in the future for a 1st or a 2nd round draft pick.

:lol   Funny enough.....this is the first contract he's signed from any other team than the Blues. 2 years @ $4.75 mil.....I don't know why the Blue's couldn't go there for that to keep a guy who was a big part of the locker room culture but as I mentioned in my earlier post.....I get it.....we have other players to focus on locking in.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #68 on: July 13, 2022, 03:47:21 PM »
So for the Flyers to contend for a cup this is all that needs to happen:

-The entire management needs to realize playing a "Flyers brand of hockey" is meaningless in 2022.
-Comcast has to realize Fletcher has sold the future at a chance at being semi-competitive for a year or two to keep his job.
-Chuck Fletcher needs to be fired.
-Comcast has to bring in a GM who will give them an honest outlook of the club and what needs to be fixed, and they need to accept that person and what they are being told.
-Then the club needs to initiate and complete the long overdue rebuild.

So we're looking at 10 years minimum for them, I think. At least 10 years until the Flyers even make a finals appearance.

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #69 on: July 13, 2022, 05:07:02 PM »
So Gaudreau, the biggest UFA going to free agency, is going to Columbus???  At $9.5M x 7?

As I said before, some teams need to take a chance at one great FA signing to turn their luck around.  Columbus have shot their bullet it seems.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2022, 05:36:17 PM by Anguyen92 »