Author Topic: NHL 2022-2023: FA July 13th - LET IT BEGIN  (Read 67715 times)

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Re: NHL 2022-2023: FA July 13th - LET IT BEGIN
« Reply #1365 on: April 29, 2023, 07:38:27 AM »
Sad to see the Kraken get eliminated.  They gave it a good effort against the champs.  I don't see the Avs getting past Dallas - especially if Pavelski comes back.

I hope both Canadian teams can get their shit done tonight.  But that would mean Tampa goes winless at home this series.  I'm not sure I see that happening.

Already writing them off? There's still game 7 to play lol

Ok that makes sense. I thought they were up 3-2. Chad's post didn't make sense, unless he now thinks it's over.

Yeah, total brain cramp.  I shouldn't post until I have at least 1/2 a cup of coffee in me.

The impending annual Leafs collapse is likely causing a bit of disorientation.

There's that too.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #1366 on: April 29, 2023, 08:16:10 AM »
Unlike Chad, I still have faith in the Leafs. I said it a few months back and I stand by it, this is the year they finally make it out of the first round.

Wild flamed out big time and broke my bracket.

Panthers, WTF. Look, I still think Boston wins that series, but Florida is what really surprises me. Last year they absolutely dominate only to come in and completely fuck up, while this year they barely sneak in and then take it to a team that should be destroying them. I don't know if it's Tkachuk or what, but their playoff compete level jumped multiple levels this year.

For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #1367 on: April 29, 2023, 08:48:57 AM »
No idea why the Bruns are insisting on playing Ullmark. He's clearly not 100%. They should've gotten Swayman into the series earlier. I don't think the Bruins will win on Sunday if Ullmark plays.

This is my take. Bruins had a good thing going in the regular season swapping Swayman in every 1-2 games Ullmark played. And he won most of them. I've never understood the need to ride one goalie in the playoffs. Obviously if your backup is trash, that's what you do. But Ullmark has been amazing when he gets rest. Four days rest would have been fantastic for him if Swayman had started, say Game 2. They lost that game with Ullmark, I could imagine a scenario where they sweep going back and forth.

That said, the series may have been lost when Marchand didn't score on that last-second breakaway in Game 5. Now it's down to one game. Win and continue the best season ever, or lose in the first round like everyone outside Boston is hoping for.
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1368 on: April 29, 2023, 08:53:56 AM »
No idea why the Bruns are insisting on playing Ullmark. He's clearly not 100%. They should've gotten Swayman into the series earlier. I don't think the Bruins will win on Sunday if Ullmark plays.

This is my take. Bruins had a good thing going in the regular season swapping Swayman in every 1-2 games Ullmark played. And he won most of them. I've never understood the need to ride one goalie in the playoffs. Obviously if your backup is trash, that's what you do. But Ullmark has been amazing when he gets rest. Four days rest would have been fantastic for him if Swayman had started, say Game 2. They lost that game with Ullmark, I could imagine a scenario where they sweep going back and forth.

That said, the series may have been lost when Marchand didn't score on that last-second breakaway in Game 5. Now it's down to one game. Win and continue the best season ever, or lose in the first round like everyone outside Boston is hoping for.

The Bruins haven't had to play desperate hockey all year. They showed a glimpse of it last night and dominated that portion of the game.

Going with Ullmark would remind me of going with a hurt Rask a couple of years ago.

And WTF has happened to Hampus Lindholm? The guys was playing at a Norris caliber level all season. I know he was battling something late in the year, but he has not responded well in this series. That Delay Of Game last night was atrocious.

Foligno also needs to come out. He's been skating in mud.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #1369 on: April 29, 2023, 09:16:34 AM »
Panthers, WTF. Look, I still think Boston wins that series, but Florida is what really surprises me. Last year they absolutely dominate only to come in and completely fuck up, while this year they barely sneak in and then take it to a team that should be destroying them. I don't know if it's Tkachuk or what, but their playoff compete level jumped multiple levels this year.

That's why playoff hockey is so much fun to watch. All of these players are top tier players. Every team, even the crappy ones have talented players on the roster. But, when it's crunch time....the teams that go 'all in' for one another and just execute a smart system together just start to snowball.

Didn't get a chance to watch much hockey at all last night....but, was checking scores. Last I checked it was 4-3 Boston in the third, then my Dad texted me that they lost. Got home in time to see Dallas win their game and then watch the Kraken lose. I think Seattle may have missed their opportunity. The AV's playoff experience may come in to play in the next game...plus, they're playing better now than they were earlier in the series. Still think it's BS Makar is out there playing.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1370 on: April 29, 2023, 09:20:36 AM »
I'm on record as wanting no part of Florida. The Islanders or Pittsburgh would've been just fine with me. The good news is that if the Bruins can win tomorrow, I'll like their chances going forward. BUT, the Bruins have gotten awful goaltending. Ullmark is obviously hurt. Goals are being scored this series that were stops all season long. Last night was another atrocious game for Ullmark.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1371 on: April 29, 2023, 09:22:40 AM »
Ullmark is obviously hurt. Goals are being scored this series that were stops all season long. Last night was another atrocious game for Ullmark.

Clearly you've watched him more than I have this season....BUT....is there a chance he's just not rising to the occasion? Playoffs are a different beast....different set of stress and consequences for screwing up. Maybe he just can't 'handle' it?

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1372 on: April 29, 2023, 09:26:34 AM »
Ullmark is obviously hurt. Goals are being scored this series that were stops all season long. Last night was another atrocious game for Ullmark.

Clearly you've watched him more than I have this season....BUT....is there a chance he's just not rising to the occasion? Playoffs are a different beast....different set of stress and consequences for screwing up. Maybe he just can't 'handle' it?

We won't really know. I actually think he's competing his ass off. He's definitely hurt. There's no question about it. Plus, even healthy, he wouldn't be used to this workload.
He's moving gingerly, his reflexes aren't what they were, he's not covering the net. He came out of Game 81 holding what looked like his hip, and had missed some time even previous to that.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1373 on: April 29, 2023, 09:29:04 AM »

We won't really know. I actually think he's competing his ass off. He's definitely hurt. There's no question about it. Plus, even healthy, he wouldn't be used to this workload.
He's moving gingerly, his reflexes aren't what they were, he's not covering the net. He came out of Game 81 holding what looked like his hip, and had missed some time even previous to that.

Gotcha. One would think that if he had some limitations that due to the importance of these games he'd be sat in order to heal. Hockey players (and coaches) are stubborn though.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1374 on: April 29, 2023, 09:31:06 AM »

Gotcha. One would think that if he had some limitations that due to the importance of these games he'd be sat in order to heal. Hockey players (and coaches) are stubborn though.

There was a situation where Bruce Cassidy was afraid to go "against the room" and continued to Play Rask (who had a torn labrum) in the playoffs a couple of years ago.

I don't understand because Jeremy Swayman has basically been every bit as good as Ullmark this season.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1375 on: April 29, 2023, 09:38:12 AM »
Tim is dead on.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1376 on: April 29, 2023, 09:44:06 AM »
I don't understand because Jeremy Swayman has basically been every bit as good as Ullmark this season.

Here's a clip from an article on 'The Athletic' today:

“We’re going to be consistent,” Montgomery said. “We’re going to review the game. We’re going to analyze everybody that played. If we think there needs to be a change, we’re going to make a change.”

At this point, a switch seems unlikely. It would put Swayman in a difficult spot of winning the most important start of his life.

The Bruins have made their goaltending bed. Montgomery and goaltending coach Bob Essensa, with confirmation from management, have decided Ullmark is their guy. Now they must live with the consequences of their primitive thinking of riding one postseason goalie into the ground when rotating two sharp netminders was their regular-season formula."

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1377 on: April 29, 2023, 09:52:05 AM »
^ This was what I was just about to say.  Montgomery is in a no win position - if the Bruins don't close this out, he'll be questioned on whatever decision he made.  It's a tough one, as the Wild had been going full-on tandem, until Flower got lit up in Game 2, then it was all on Gustavson.

Also, when you haven't had anything to play for since November, it makes it quite a bit harder to flick the switch and elevate your game when you get punched back.  Florida has been playing meaningful games since February.  I'm not surprised AT ... ALL that this is the makeup of this series.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1378 on: April 29, 2023, 09:57:33 AM »
Also, when you haven't had anything to play for since November, it makes it quite a bit harder to flick the switch and elevate your game when you get punched back.  Florida has been playing meaningful games since February.  I'm not surprised AT ... ALL that this is the makeup of this series.

Yep....this scenario happens every single year. Hitting the playoffs in stride is a huge advantage...especially magnified in this instance due to....like you said (and said many times in this thread all along)...Boston hasn't really been challenged at all this season. No adversity, nothing really to fight for.

They're perfectly capable of coming out and wiping the ice with Florida next game. But, momentum and confidence are a hell of a thing and Florida don't care at all right now about the standings and 'who' is supposed to win.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1379 on: April 29, 2023, 11:43:18 AM »
I got home last night just as the 3rd period was starting, and it went from 3-2 Florida to 4-3 Boston just like that as the Bruins looked like they were shot of a cannon.  I was like, this is gonna end up 7-3 Bruins, but the Panthers just didn't let up.  Even after the Bruins got the SHG, the Panthers tied it back up almost immediately.  I was impressed with how resilient they were.  The Bruins are obviously the more talented team, but momentum and pressure are funny things.  Should be an interesting Game 7.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1380 on: April 29, 2023, 04:41:10 PM »
Prediction: the Leafs win in TB tonight and take the series.

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #1381 on: April 29, 2023, 08:05:49 PM »
Did the nightmare finally ended for the Leafs?

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1382 on: April 29, 2023, 08:06:01 PM »

Nice call Kev!

Congrats to Chad!

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1383 on: April 29, 2023, 08:07:33 PM »

Nice call Kev!

Congrats to Chad!

For sure.  Glad to see them advance.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1384 on: April 29, 2023, 08:10:05 PM »
Not gonna lie...as fun as it was to joke about the Leafs 1st round woes, I yelled "yes!" when they scored to win it and was genuinely happy for that team.  Nice work.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1385 on: April 29, 2023, 08:10:32 PM »
Typical playoff goal also. Just throw it at the net and see what happens.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1386 on: April 29, 2023, 08:11:16 PM »
Not gonna lie...as fun as it was to joke about the Leafs 1st round woes, I yelled "yes!" when they scored to win it and was genuinely happy for that team.  Nice work.

Yep. My wife and I shouted and celebrated like it was ‘our’ team. Very happy for the players and fans.

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #1387 on: April 29, 2023, 08:11:22 PM »
At some point in time, the jokes stops being funny for a long while and you think at some point, this Leafs group with the high-end talent they have will finally get a freakin first round win.  Now their next task will be either the Bruins or the Panthers.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2023, 09:03:50 PM by Anguyen92 »

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1388 on: April 29, 2023, 08:11:53 PM »
Typical playoff goal also. Just throw it at the net and see what happens.

Yep, that is what some of us would call "puck luck."  That is why throwing it at the net in OT is never a bad thing.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1389 on: April 29, 2023, 08:14:38 PM »
Chad hasn't even texted me back. He's probably still hiding under his bed not aware of what happened.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1390 on: April 29, 2023, 08:28:12 PM »
Chad hasn't even texted me back. He's probably still hiding under his bed not aware of what happened.

He texted me. Haha.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1391 on: April 29, 2023, 10:29:29 PM »
Well, Ullmark no longer has the biggest goalie mishandle of the playoffs!
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1392 on: April 29, 2023, 10:48:10 PM »
Never mind, Stuart's stick apparently broke, it's back on Ullmark!

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #1393 on: April 29, 2023, 10:56:52 PM »
Well, the Kings really had us hoping they can somehow manage to push this to OT for maybe a win to push the series back to Edmonton, but nope, the Oilers depth scoring guys like Yamamoto and Kostin pulled through for them when they needed it.  That's rough.  A lot of question marks for the Kings' off-season, particular on Defense and Goaltender.  Probably need to move some salary and roster spots around if guys like Jordan Spence and Brandt Clarke can be every day players. 

The forward group I'm happy with.  They can get away with low offers on Kupari and JAD.  Gabe Vilardi will be the bigger signing to deal with.  He's been great when he's healthy.  Key word, when he's healthy, so I'm thinking Rob Blake can get away with a short-term deal at a reasonable number for Vilardi to accept.

Anywho, Oilers and Golden Knights in round 2.  The top two teams in the Western standings going at it.  Should be a good one.

Online axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #1394 on: April 30, 2023, 05:22:57 AM »
Sigh, I really didn't want this series to have to go to game 7 when the other team has a generational talent in between the pipes.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1395 on: April 30, 2023, 05:32:34 AM »
Finally!  The monkey is off the back of this franchise.  Appreciate the comments and sentiments, boys.  It's been a brutal stretch to be a Leaf fan the last 6 years - especially coming off the 2013 collapse.  I truly had no faith they were going to win last night.  Once again, Tampa was the better team last night.  Samsonov bailed the team out, especially in the first.  There were at least 4-5 times I stated "goal" before he made a brilliant save (jingle.daughter even commented to my "why you gotta be such a Debbie Downer?").  I had no faith that TB would go 0-3 at home in the series - when they were the 2nd best home team in the league during the season.  Speaking of which, the SportsNet broadcast made the comment that road teams were 27-17 going in to last night (and ergo, 29-18 now)... and that ALL of last years playoffs saw 35 road-game wins.  Amazing.  Home ice advantage really does mean jack-squat this year.

One of the hockey channels I follow on YT (Eck), commented that - even with 50/50 odds - the chances of losing 11-straight close-out games as the Leafs had going in to last night are less than 0.1%!  It really was a spectacular feat to have that kind of inability to get the 4th win. 

I was impressed with the Kings.  Fiala played like a beast in the 3 games he was in the lineup.  Could've been a different story if he'd been healthy.  None-the-less, we always root for Canadian teams, so it was great to see both #2 seeds close the series out on the road last night.

Naturally, I'll be rooting for Florida, but only because I always root against Boston.  To be honest, I think the chance to go up against them would make for a thrilling series - one I might actually enjoy now that this team has accomplished step 1.  It sure would be nice to exorcise the Bruins demon as well - or even just have the chance.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1396 on: April 30, 2023, 06:05:30 AM »
So, I just watched the summary package from nhl.com (which uses the TBS feed), and man did I ever want a "holy jumpin!" out of Pang.  He disappointed me.

I gotta say, it certainly looks like Matthew Knies is gonna be a stud.  Despite losing the puck on the play that led to Tampa's lone goal, he was on the ice for all 3 OT winners, and it was him and Tavares that owned the o-zone on the shift of the GWG.  That kid looks legit.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1397 on: April 30, 2023, 06:27:42 AM »

He texted me. Haha.

My phone dinged as I typed this.

I gotta say, it certainly looks like Matthew Knies is gonna be a stud.

That kid looks good.

I think we're well on our way to an all Canada Final..Toronto vs. Edmonton.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1398 on: April 30, 2023, 08:15:20 AM »

Let's pump the brakes a little ... it's only 1 round.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1399 on: April 30, 2023, 08:43:26 AM »

Let's pump the brakes a little ... it's only 1 round.

Leafs aren't losing to anyone in the Metro so as long as they can beat the Panthers, you're all set.