Author Topic: NHL 2022-2023: FA July 13th - LET IT BEGIN  (Read 67838 times)

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
Re: NHL 2022-2023: FA July 13th - LET IT BEGIN
« Reply #1330 on: April 26, 2023, 08:18:39 PM »
Fudge.

I was working tonight, so literally only got to see overtime. I know Boston has two really good goalies, but damn, that was a very dumb unforced error.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1331 on: April 26, 2023, 08:19:35 PM »
Good forecheck to cause it
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1332 on: April 26, 2023, 08:29:55 PM »

Not really, it was a terrible play by Ullmark. Tonight, he looked like Sabres-era Ullmark.  But man-oh-man... If Marchand had ended it with 1 second left, that would've been something.

Bobs was Blue Jackets-era Bobs tonight.  He stole that one.

Go Panthers!
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1333 on: April 26, 2023, 08:59:41 PM »
Yeah, that was a horrible misplay by the Bruins goalie.  As someone with no rooting interest in it, Florida winning means more hockey, so works for me.  Boston will still win the series, but it will just take longer.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #1334 on: April 26, 2023, 10:22:33 PM »
Kraken's going to Seattle with a 3-2 series lead against the Avs.  The Avs feels really depleted when it comes to quality depth in this stretch.  Kraken looked really good in the 3rd protecting that lead.  Was getting quality chances their way and not giving the Avs any before they had the 6th skater.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1335 on: April 26, 2023, 10:51:33 PM »
I want to feel hopeful about game six, but I’ve learned very quickly that home ice in the NHL playoffs means exactly DICK.

Still excited though. This season is already a huge win for the organization. Playoffs in our 2nd season and taking the defending champs to a game six at home? I’m over the moon right now.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1336 on: April 27, 2023, 04:26:27 AM »

Not really, it was a terrible play by Ullmark. Tonight, he looked like Sabres-era Ullmark.  But man-oh-man... If Marchand had ended it with 1 second left, that would've been something.

Go Panthers!

If that Panther was not up there that quickly, there wouldn't be any issues with the mis communication between Grzelcyk and Ulmark.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1337 on: April 27, 2023, 06:44:10 AM »

Go Panthers!

If that Panther was not up there that quickly, there wouldn't be any issues with the mis communication between Grzelcyk and Ulmark.

And the way he (Verhaege) played it; he didn't go right at Grizz, he backed off into the corner.  Ullmark must've never even seen him, but he was positioned to do more than just tie up the puck, but also make a play on it.

Ullmark has regressed a bit going into the playoffs.  When he holds his position, and stays upright, he's brilliant; when he starts to dive and flop, he gets in trouble.  He's been doing more diving and flopping in this first round than he did the entire season since the Winter Classic.

Also, our $90 million man has disappeared in the playoffs. Pastrnak is playing like crap.  It's like he's playing a different game plan.  Thank god Taylor Hall has stepped up.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1338 on: April 27, 2023, 07:02:38 AM »
It's funny because they've made a big deal about how Ullmark has been watching Tim Thomas videos from 2011. Well he did his best to imitate Tim Thomas' gaffe in G2 of the 2011 SCF.

Pastrnak has been fucking invisible.

Foligno was a step behind tonight too. If Frederic is healthy, I'd put him in.

Ullmark isn't right. He's not going to be able to carry the Bruins all the way.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1339 on: April 27, 2023, 07:22:28 AM »
It's funny because they've made a big deal about how Ullmark has been watching Tim Thomas videos from 2011. Well he did his best to imitate Tim Thomas' gaffe in G2 of the 2011 SCF.

I fear this is truth. 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1340 on: April 27, 2023, 07:40:52 AM »

I fear this is truth.

It's one of the reasons why it was critical to get out of this series last night.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1341 on: April 27, 2023, 09:38:54 AM »
I want to feel hopeful about game six, but I’ve learned very quickly that home ice in the NHL playoffs means exactly DICK.

Still excited though. This season is already a huge win for the organization. Playoffs in our 2nd season and taking the defending champs to a game six at home? I’m over the moon right now.

Until you get to games 6 and 7.  It's not as big as in other sports, but having that game 6 at home is a big deal (he said, desperately trying to believe it in preparation for Saturday).

Anyone else surprised all 8 of the first round series are still going?  This is the first year since 2016 (and only the 6th time since the turn of the century) with no first round sweeps.  If Tampa and Winnipeg can win their game 5's tonight, it will be the first time since 1992 that all 8 first round series went at least 6 games (in 1992, 6 of the 8 first round series went 7 games).
« Last Edit: April 27, 2023, 10:01:19 AM by pg1067 »
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #1342 on: April 27, 2023, 09:39:59 AM »
I don't think Boston has much to worry about in this round. I can't see Florida winning 3 straight against a team that had a single 3 game losing streak all season. Anything could happen, I suppose, but that seems very improbable.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1343 on: April 27, 2023, 02:10:34 PM »
I didn't post it here at the star of the round, but my first round bracket I submitted on NHL.com was...

Bruins
Carolina
Devils
Toronto
Avalanche
Wild
Vegas
Oilers

I say this just to mention that I am currently living in a timeline where I'm 10x more worried about the Avalanche blowing this out than the Maple Leafs.
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com

Offline romdrums

« Reply #1344 on: April 27, 2023, 02:57:11 PM »
I didn't post it here at the star of the round, but my first round bracket I submitted on NHL.com was...

Bruins
Carolina
Devils
Toronto
Avalanche
Wild
Vegas
Oilers

I say this just to mention that I am currently living in a timeline where I'm 10x more worried about the Avalanche blowing this out than the Maple Leafs.

Well, if any team can come back from 3-1, it's the Bolts, and if any team can blow a 3-1 lead, it's the Leafs.  Wondering about Vasilevsky though.  He's been uncharacteristically sieve-like so far.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1345 on: April 27, 2023, 03:03:06 PM »

Bruins
Carolina
Devils
Toronto
Avalanche
Wild
Vegas
Oilers

Well, if any team can come back from 3-1, it's the Bolts, and if any team can blow a 3-1 lead, it's the Leafs.  Wondering about Vasilevsky though.  He's been uncharacteristically sieve-like so far.

Vaseivelsky

Offline romdrums

« Reply #1346 on: April 27, 2023, 03:07:27 PM »
 :rollin
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1347 on: April 27, 2023, 03:14:49 PM »

Bruins
Carolina
Devils
Toronto
Avalanche
Wild
Vegas
Oilers

Vaseivelsky

"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1348 on: April 27, 2023, 07:32:09 PM »
Not tonight.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1349 on: April 27, 2023, 07:51:02 PM »
11 straight losses in series clinching games. Fuck this franchise is snakebit.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1350 on: April 27, 2023, 08:06:06 PM »
Leafs need to win this on the road in Game 6, as their home crowd reminds me of Cubs fans 10-15 years ago in playoff games. The second anything goes wrong, they get deathly silent as if the sky is falling, and the home team senses it and plays accordingly.  I was flipping back and forth between the two games.  The Toronto crowd was crazy quiet for most of the 3rd, even before it was 3-1, while the NJ was super loud for the Devils/Rangers game. Granted, the Devils were winning, but still, the difference was massive.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1351 on: April 27, 2023, 08:25:13 PM »
The Leafs just lost the series.  They were lucky to get out of Tampa with one win, let alone taking both games 3 and 4.  The Bolts were the better team in both those games, but just collapsed.  That won't happen a 3rd time.
 The only game the Leafs were the better team was the one without Headman in the lineup.  They will lose on Saturday, and come back to Toronto with a massive case of the yips, and fold.

These guys just can't get it done in the post-season.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1352 on: April 27, 2023, 08:47:10 PM »
11 straight losses in series clinching games. Fuck this franchise is snakebit.

That's an absolutely incredible stat in the worst possible way.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1353 on: April 27, 2023, 09:56:10 PM »
Well, nothing the Jets have shown give any indication they'll turn this around in the third.

Golden Knights are set to be the first team into the second round.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #1354 on: April 27, 2023, 09:57:39 PM »
This amount of effort the Jets are showing is just as sad as the Kings' effort in their game 5.  Except it's worst for the Jets since their season is on the line here.  I want some heart and fire here, man.

Edit: On a side note, this is a great response from Jon Cooper.  That's how you know he's in a good mood after today.

« Last Edit: April 27, 2023, 10:10:36 PM by Anguyen92 »

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1355 on: April 28, 2023, 04:20:54 AM »
When the Leafs opened the scoring, things seemed good. When Tampa evened it up just 26 seconds later, I knew it was over.  The Leafs were just flat and couldn’t get anything going. Tampa had a killer instinct last night; Toronto did not.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1356 on: April 28, 2023, 08:38:42 PM »
No idea why the Bruns are insisting on playing Ullmark. He's clearly not 100%. They should've gotten Swayman into the series earlier. I don't think the Bruins will win on Sunday if Ullmark plays.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1357 on: April 28, 2023, 08:52:09 PM »
Oof.

I need to buy a bottle of Tums for Sunday.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1358 on: April 28, 2023, 10:42:41 PM »
We just don’t have it tonight. We had some fire early on, and we’re making some decent individual defensive plays, but as a team we’re allowing them too much time in our zone. Give a team like Colorado that many chances and it doesn’t matter how many great individual plays you make. Something is going to give.

The good news is that home teams are 2-4 in this series.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #1359 on: April 28, 2023, 11:06:23 PM »
Hurricanes and Stars make it to round 2, but the Bs has not yet.  Matthew Tkachuk is coming through for the Panthers in that series.  I'm glad that guy is out of the Pacific division.  The Leafs and Bs and the rest of the Atlantic can deal with that guy for all I care.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2023, 11:48:40 PM by Anguyen92 »

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1360 on: April 29, 2023, 04:30:14 AM »
Sad to see the Kraken get eliminated.  They gave it a good effort against the champs.  I don't see the Avs getting past Dallas - especially if Pavelski comes back.

I hope both Canadian teams can get their shit done tonight.  But that would mean Tampa goes winless at home this series.  I'm not sure I see that happening.

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #1361 on: April 29, 2023, 06:48:30 AM »
Sad to see the Kraken get eliminated.  They gave it a good effort against the champs.  I don't see the Avs getting past Dallas - especially if Pavelski comes back.

I hope both Canadian teams can get their shit done tonight.  But that would mean Tampa goes winless at home this series.  I'm not sure I see that happening.

Already writing them off? There's still game 7 to play lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1362 on: April 29, 2023, 06:50:31 AM »
It's time like this I am kinda relieved the Blues missed the playoffs. It's nice being able to watch these 1st round games without any stress at all.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1363 on: April 29, 2023, 06:57:47 AM »

Already writing them off? There's still game 7 to play lol

Ok that makes sense. I thought they were up 3-2. Chad's post didn't make sense, unless he now thinks it's over.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1364 on: April 29, 2023, 06:59:25 AM »
The impending annual Leafs collapse is likely causing a bit of disorientation.