Author Topic: NHL 2022-2023: FA July 13th - LET IT BEGIN  (Read 67843 times)

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
Re: NHL 2022-2023: FA July 13th - LET IT BEGIN
« Reply #1295 on: April 24, 2023, 11:11:26 PM »
Anyone else have the experience where you miss parts of the game, and the parts you missed are the only times they are dominating??

For me this year it wasn't parts of games, but just games in general. I swear if I didn't watch a Red Wings game they were 3x as likely to win it.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #1296 on: April 24, 2023, 11:23:17 PM »
Congrats to the Kraken! First home playoff win! Makes it a series…..gutsy win!
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #1297 on: April 24, 2023, 11:23:44 PM »
Many firsts. Now my first playoff OT.

I hate the way the Kraken play when I start watching!

Anyone else have the experience where you miss parts of the game, and the parts you missed are the only times they are dominating??

When I first tuned in we were up 2-0 and shots were 28-12.  But all I’ve seen is a team that has played pretty scrappy…but mostly on their heels.

Now you can scratch first Kraken OT winner and first Kraken home game playoff win.  And there's going be at least a Game 6 in Seattle.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1298 on: April 24, 2023, 11:24:21 PM »
I SAW THAT!!!!

:lhk:

"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1299 on: April 25, 2023, 07:04:35 AM »
I picked the Leafs in my bracket and they are actually doing what I would have hoped. That first game was bad, but man, they finally get over the hump of the first round and they could be really dangerous.

Edit: Just checked, 5-0-3 in the first round thus far, with 5 teams I picked ahead, and 3 series tied. Could easily be 4-0-4 by the end of the night if Colorado loses their game and series goes to a tie.

I'm assuming that's your win/loss; how are you counting that?  How do you have ties?  Am I misunderstanding?

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #1300 on: April 25, 2023, 08:10:13 AM »
I picked the Leafs in my bracket and they are actually doing what I would have hoped. That first game was bad, but man, they finally get over the hump of the first round and they could be really dangerous.

Edit: Just checked, 5-0-3 in the first round thus far, with 5 teams I picked ahead, and 3 series tied. Could easily be 4-0-4 by the end of the night if Colorado loses their game and series goes to a tie.

I'm assuming that's your win/loss; how are you counting that?  How do you have ties?  Am I misunderstanding?

With Colorado losing now 4 series are tied (and thus my picks in those series are as well) while the 4 other teams I picked are all ahead in their series. Doesn't mean it'll end that way, just leaning nicely for now.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1301 on: April 25, 2023, 08:26:03 AM »
While it's a bummer when your team isn't in the playoffs.....it makes watching these games so much more enjoyable in a way. I am 'pulling' for a couple teams due to former Blues players and just buddies but just being able to watch without the 'stress' of it all is a relief.

It looks inevitable that Toronto and the Bruins are going to face each other int he second round though. That's two of the teams I'm pulling for due to Joe, Tim and Chad. So....'if' that matchup happens I may have to default to 'former Blues players' and Toronto would eek out my loyalty.

I don't really have a team I 'like' in the West. I have teams I don't like....The AVs and Dallas. Any of the others I'd be perfectly fine with seeing them make a run.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1302 on: April 25, 2023, 08:30:12 AM »
While it's a bummer when your team isn't in the playoffs.....it makes watching these games so much more enjoyable in a way. I am 'pulling' for a couple teams due to former Blues players and just buddies but just being able to watch without the 'stress' of it all is a relief.

I always used to say that now that the Bruins are out, I can finally sit back and enjoy the playoffs.

I've been dreading the 2nd round series all year.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1303 on: April 25, 2023, 08:46:11 AM »

I always used to say that now that the Bruins are out, I can finally sit back and enjoy the playoffs.

I've been dreading the 2nd round series all year.

And my buddy told be I've become negative.   He should posts like this.  :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1304 on: April 25, 2023, 08:47:12 AM »

It looks inevitable that Toronto and the Bruins are going to face each other int he second round though. That's two of the teams I'm pulling for due to Joe, Tim and Chad. So....'if' that matchup happens I may have to default to 'former Blues players' and Toronto would eek out my loyalty.

I don't really have a team I 'like' in the West. I have teams I don't like....The AVs and Dallas. Any of the others I'd be perfectly fine with seeing them make a run.

Toronto:  Hold my beer.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1305 on: April 25, 2023, 09:01:31 AM »

With Colorado losing now 4 series are tied (and thus my picks in those series are as well) while the 4 other teams I picked are all ahead in their series. Doesn't mean it'll end that way, just leaning nicely for now.

Oh, oh, gotcha.   I thought you were calling GAMES, but you're calling SERIES.  Got it.  :)

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #1306 on: April 25, 2023, 09:08:26 AM »
The Rangers are doing that thing where they get my hopes up just so they can crush my dreams.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1307 on: April 25, 2023, 09:21:18 AM »

All of us.

All the time.

:lol
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1308 on: April 25, 2023, 09:35:06 AM »

All of us.

All the time.

So Paul, which segment of Jeopardy should I go take a shit during?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline crazy climber dude

« Reply #1309 on: April 25, 2023, 09:43:58 AM »
Many firsts. Now my first playoff OT.

I hate the way the Kraken play when I start watching!

When I first tuned in we were up 2-0 and shots were 28-12.  But all I’ve seen is a team that has played pretty scrappy…but mostly on their heels.

That is the series in a nutshell. I think the Kraken has scored first in every game. Then they give up a goal and the Avalanche just roll for awhile. Difference last night was they stayed aggressive all night, even when Rantanen scored two goals to tie. The Makar hit on McCann seemed to spark their intensity.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1310 on: April 25, 2023, 09:48:57 AM »

All of us.

All the time.

:rollin :rollin :rollin

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1311 on: April 25, 2023, 09:56:54 AM »
It's only a half hour!  Plan your movements accordingly.   :rollin
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1312 on: April 25, 2023, 10:18:27 AM »
So, Makar will likely be getting a suspension - at least, he better.  That was a brutally late and dangerous hit.

I think he was trying to coyly ask when are you going to be kicking ass.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1313 on: April 25, 2023, 10:22:21 AM »

Yup. Just trying to help the cause.  ;D

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1314 on: April 25, 2023, 10:24:14 AM »
Agreed about Makar.  How that got changed to a minor is unfathomable.  That should have been a major and a game misconduct.  One of the dirtiest hits I've seen in a while. Maybe the NHL really does love the Avs just that much.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #1315 on: April 25, 2023, 10:30:58 AM »
There will be a hearing about that Makar hit.  It's hard to tell what the DOPS is going to do.  If they suspend Makar, Stars fans may be a little mad about how Dumba's hit on Pavelski was not suspension worthy.

https://twitter.com/nhlplayersafety/status/1650846098431377415

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1316 on: April 25, 2023, 10:31:38 AM »

All of us.

All the time.

HAHA

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1317 on: April 25, 2023, 10:47:29 AM »
There will be a hearing about that Makar hit.  It's hard to tell what the DOPS is going to do.  If they suspend Makar, Stars fans may be a little mad about how Dumba's hit on Pavelski was not suspension worthy.

Dumba's hit was an unfortunate result of a hockey play (using DOPS terminology).  Makar's hit was not a "hockey play".  That hit was as late as Hunter-Turgeon for those that remember that one.

It's pretty easy to tell the Avs fans in that twitter thread.  :lol

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1318 on: April 25, 2023, 12:00:16 PM »

Yup. Just trying to help the cause.  ;D

It was still early.  I just barely got it now.   :lol

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1319 on: April 25, 2023, 12:38:03 PM »
Just reading that Makar was suspended for one game.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1320 on: April 25, 2023, 12:45:45 PM »

Good. Like Chad mentioned, it was a cheap shot and I’m glad to see he got some sort of suspension and it wasn’t explained away or overlooked.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1321 on: April 25, 2023, 12:50:40 PM »

Stars fans have no room to be mad since the two hits are very different.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1322 on: April 26, 2023, 05:35:07 AM »

Good. Like Chad mentioned, it was a cheap shot and I’m glad to see he got some sort of suspension and it wasn’t explained away or overlooked.

One game is still a joke.  Bunting got 3, and despite being a shit-disturber of a player, Bunting had never been suspended before (I'm not being a homer here, his hit was worthy of 1-2 playoff games, but not 3).  But, the DOPS sets the standard - three games for a check with head contact where the player is injured; but Makar gets 1 game for a brutally late hit with head contact (against the boards) where the player is injured.

Love the DOPS (in)consistency.

Like I said, this hit was just as late and unexpected as Hunter-Turgeon, and Hunter got 21 games.  Now, Hunter did have a history, so there's that.  1-game probably isn't the wrong call, but coming just one week after Bunting got 3 ... the inconsistency is a joke.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1323 on: April 26, 2023, 06:02:28 AM »
The defenses by Avs fans in that twitter feed are so awful.

"He played to the whistle."  Oh, so anyone can hit anyone whether they have the puck or not until the whistle blows. Great. That should really allow teams like the Avs with a lot of skill to excel going forward.

"He didn't know he still had the puck,"  Oh.  Using that defense, again, anyone can hit anyone, because "I didn't know he didn't have the puck!!" 

Homers and all that, I get it, and Twitter, I really get that, but, damn, people are really dumb sometimes.  :lol :lol :lol

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1324 on: April 26, 2023, 09:38:43 AM »
The Kings may as well have sent the Ontario Reign to Edmonton last night.  Absolutely uninspired effort.  I think they'll bounce back on Thursday at home, but I have a very hard time envisioning two straight wins unless Edmonton suddenly gets hit by the flu bug.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #1325 on: April 26, 2023, 09:57:56 AM »
That was really an uninspiring effort.  You think after they made it 3-2, they would be still in it mentally and rally towards that.  Nope.  Game 6 is actually on Saturday, unless they moved the game now that the Clippers are out and the building is available.  A good few extra days to reevaluate and give us something to latch to.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1326 on: April 26, 2023, 10:10:45 AM »
That was really an uninspiring effort.  You think after they made it 3-2, they would be still in it mentally and rally towards that.  Nope.  Game 6 is actually on Saturday, unless they moved the game now that the Clippers are out and the building is available.  A good few extra days to reevaluate and give us something to latch to.

Seems most series have an extra day off around now.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #1327 on: April 26, 2023, 10:16:17 AM »
I think that was to accommodate a couple of teams that has their building occupied by NBA teams that's also in playoffs.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1328 on: April 26, 2023, 11:47:53 AM »
I think that was to accommodate a couple of teams that has their building occupied by NBA teams that's also in playoffs.

Perhaps, but only the Avs/Kraken series does *not* have an extra day off this week.  Last I checked, neither Vegas or Winnipeg have NBA games to contend with ;).  And the Scotiabank Arena is sitting idle tonight.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1329 on: April 26, 2023, 08:17:45 PM »
Fudge.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC