Author Topic: NHL 2022-2023: FA July 13th - LET IT BEGIN  (Read 66907 times)

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
Re: NHL 2022-2023: FA July 13th - LET IT BEGIN
« Reply #1225 on: April 20, 2023, 05:45:09 AM »
You absolutely go see Mastodon and Gojira. That's a solid double bill.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1226 on: April 20, 2023, 06:14:12 AM »
I stayed up for most of the 1st period of Kings/Oilers, but my need for sleep won out over playoff hockey.  Damn late starts.

Bummer you guys got a loss in the game for which you had tickets, Joe, but I am sure the Bruins will bounce back. Home ice advantage is fiction in the SC playoffs anyway.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1227 on: April 20, 2023, 06:17:00 AM »
I felt bad for my nephew, Kev. Man, the b's had at least 4 turnovers that lead to goals.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1228 on: April 20, 2023, 06:25:28 AM »
I felt bad for my nephew, Kev. Man, the b's had at least 4 turnovers that lead to goals.

I hear ya, but best he learn now at a young age that the NHL playoffs can often equal misery. :P :lol 

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1229 on: April 20, 2023, 06:38:15 AM »
So true.  Lots of F bombs around us last night. Lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1230 on: April 20, 2023, 06:40:07 AM »
Maybe it was just because I was 20 and always ended up in the “rowdy section”.

The other thing the whole section would do is verbally add the cymbal clashes to the Star Spangled Banner.

Singer: Oooooohhhhh say can you seeeeeeee

Section 12: “CHHHHHSSSSSHHHH”

Singer: Byyyyyy the dawns early liiiiggghhttt

Section 12: “CHHHHHHHSSSSSSHHHH”

It seems a little juvenile now I suppose.

Sometimes the visiting kid in the penalty box (remember the WHL players are between 16-20) would threaten to climb the glass.  (Which I’ve heard did happen on one occasion, but not that I ever saw)

I like how they yell "STARS!" in Dallas during the anthem.

Banging on the glass is not illegal; I always found it a douche move, though, especially when the play is right there.  Anyone who's ever played hockey and blew out an edge because of something on the ice would tell you it's not just a douche move, but outright dangerous.  You can blow out a groin pretty easy; very painful.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1231 on: April 20, 2023, 09:14:54 AM »
The Kings doomed themselves with a shitty start...again.  They got lucky on the two goals.  They need to play a full 60 minutes on Friday and Sunday.

I loathe the Stars fans thing during the Anthem.  Never heard the cymbal crash thing, but both are pretty disrespectful.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #1232 on: April 20, 2023, 10:28:15 AM »
The Kings doomed themselves with a shitty start...again.  They got lucky on the two goals.  They need to play a full 60 minutes on Friday and Sunday.

I loathe the Stars fans thing during the Anthem.  Never heard the cymbal crash thing, but both are pretty disrespectful.

I think it's dumb we play anthems before non-Olympic sporting events to begin with. Especially in the case of the NHL where, especially in games between American teams, most of the players are from other countries.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #1233 on: April 20, 2023, 10:42:26 AM »

I think it's dumb we play anthems before non-Olympic sporting events to begin with. Especially in the case of the NHL where, especially in games between American teams, most of the players are from other countries.

Well that shows what a crappy Stars fan that I am, I never knew they did this but I agree, I hate that the National Anthem is played in the first place. No need for it but if you do it, leave the players in the locker room like it use to be.

That said, I lovbe the fact that the crowd yells out Stars, totally harmless.  :metal

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #1234 on: April 20, 2023, 10:50:14 AM »
I do really like the presentation before the National Anthems for the Edmonton games where they have a video of Chief Willie Littlechild say a small speech in the team recognizing the land that they play is on the territory of First Nations tribes.

"The recognition of our history on this land is an act of reconciliation and we honor those who walk with us,"

https://www.facebook.com/Oilers.NHL/videos/pre-game-land-acknowledgment/475849247012078/

https://www.nhl.com/news/oilers-honor-indigenous-cultures/c-327477738
« Last Edit: April 20, 2023, 11:29:04 AM by Anguyen92 »

Offline DTwwbwMP

« Reply #1235 on: April 20, 2023, 07:31:49 PM »
CHRIS F'N KREIDER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #1236 on: April 20, 2023, 08:10:12 PM »
Life is pain.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1237 on: April 20, 2023, 08:32:14 PM »

Re: the cymbal crash during the anthem- As I said, this was a minor league team, and for some god forsaken reason there was just this one entire section (right near the penalty box) where all the rowdies knew they’d be among their own. I’m not exaggerating when I said it was like a wrestling crowd. It’s like most of the section were there to watch a fight on the ice and be trolls. I’ve never seen that behavior before or since, and some fans in the other sections gave us all the evil eye…but it wasn’t just one or two guys. It was a congregation of trolls and we weren’t causing any damage or anything else you could legally persecute us for. Just being generally obnoxious.  And as I’ve said in another thread, when I was between the ages of 19-21, irritating others was a form of sport.

I have changed a lot in 30 years.

Banging on the glass was a little different. I seem to recall just about everyone who had a glass seat would bang the glass if a scrum developed right in front of them. It seemed fairly harmless and didn’t seem like it caused any harm.  It’s an attempt to irritate or otherwise get in the opposing teams head. Though I don’t think it’s any more successful than waiving your hands behind the basket during a free throw.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2023, 11:00:24 PM by jammindude »
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #1238 on: April 20, 2023, 10:48:09 PM »

He will be the last New York Ranger to ever wear the number 20. He is the heart and soul of this team.

Also, Vladimir Tarasenko is the best veteran player acquisition the Rangers have made since Mika Zibanejad.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #1239 on: April 21, 2023, 08:24:30 AM »

He will be the last New York Ranger to ever wear the number 20. He is the heart and soul of this team.

Also, Vladimir Tarasenko is the best veteran player acquisition the Rangers have made since Mika Zibanejad.

He is and has always been a beast in the playoffs. Not just stats wise either. He comes to play for sure!
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #1240 on: April 21, 2023, 11:55:44 AM »

He is and has always been a beast in the playoffs. Not just stats wise either. He comes to play for sure!

I’m ready to start a GoFundMe so the Rangers can afford to resign him.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1241 on: April 21, 2023, 12:07:09 PM »

He will be the last New York Ranger to ever wear the number 20.

Really?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1242 on: April 21, 2023, 12:31:31 PM »

He will be the last New York Ranger to ever wear the number 20.

Really?

Luc Robitaille, but he was only there two seasons.  Otherwise, there aren't a lot of standout names there.

Ed Slowinski 1951-1953
Aldo Guidolin 1953-1956
Phil Goyette 1964-1969
Dunc McCallum 1966
Jack Egers 1970-1974
Juha Widing 1970
Gene Carr 1972
Curt Bennett 1973
Greg Polis 1975-1979
Cam Connor 1980-1983
Claude Larose 1980-1982
Jan Erixon 1984-1993
Mark Osborne 1995
Luc Robitaille 1995-1997
Brian Skrudland 1998
Todd Harvey 1999
Radek Dvořák 2000-2003
P.J. Stock 2000
Jozef Balej 2004
Pascal Rhéaume 2004
Steve Rucchin 2006
Jason Krog 2007
Fredrik Sjöström 2008-2009
Vinny Prospal 2010-2011
Chris Kreider 2013-2023
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1243 on: April 21, 2023, 03:19:34 PM »
My high school hockey number was 20. 

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1244 on: April 21, 2023, 09:37:56 PM »
Such a lame BS penalty call against the Oilers there. It’s the playoffs….give me a break.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1245 on: April 21, 2023, 10:23:35 PM »
My high school hockey number was 20.

If only you'd played for the Rangers.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1246 on: April 21, 2023, 11:27:22 PM »
Night of fortune for LA. Gift PP goal and not having that OT goal overturned was lucky as well. Could have and maybe should have been reversed.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1247 on: April 22, 2023, 04:46:26 AM »
Night of fortune for LA. Gift PP goal and not having that OT goal overturned was lucky as well. Could have and maybe should have been reversed.

Could - yes.  Should - not really.  There wasn't anything that clearly showed there was high-stick contact. 

The Leafs CBC games have had Derek Lalonde (Detroit head coach; former ass't to Jon Cooper) on their intermission panels.  Regarding inGame 1, and the Bolts' 5th goal that was upheld (which, was lame ... I still fail to see how the puck A) crossed the line, and B) if it did - the only way it crossed is if Perry pushed Samsonov's pad across the line with the puck), Lalonde made the perfect comment "In today's game, the league wants to keep goals on the board as much as possible".  In reviews, it has to be completely conclusive to take a goal back.

I think the slash was a slash - the Kings player had his stick broken.  There's lots of other calls to beef about, but the Kings have had the fortune to convert both of their  OT PPs.  Edmonton has trailed for a total of 7 minutes in the series - and are down 2-1.

I still think it's a 7-game series.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #1248 on: April 22, 2023, 07:03:18 AM »
I figured it was going to be Oilers in 6.  I just thought it would be LA always clawing back into the series,  and not the other way around.  Need a win Sunday. I don't want the oil to be in a situation needing 3 straight wins.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #1249 on: April 22, 2023, 08:19:28 AM »
It's still going to be a long series.  I have seen the sites like Moneypuck and other analytical-based sites that confirms that the Oilers are winning the expected goals battles, you can see they have been pounding the Kings physically and lighting up Korpisalo with shots.

I rather have the Kings take it down in regulation rather than need a fortuitous PP in OT to win it, but got to take the goals how you can get them.  Now there's going to be that lingering feeling that the Oilers are going to be pissed and want to smoke the Kings in the next game.  The Oilers haven't done that so far this season and series and they feel like they need to deliver what they think the Kings deserve in that end.

At least, this is good improvement from last year's Games 2 and 3 and I'll take these kinds of games rather than getting smoked 6-0 and 8-2.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2023, 08:36:52 AM by Anguyen92 »

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1250 on: April 22, 2023, 09:43:02 AM »

Could - yes.  Should - not really.  There wasn't anything that clearly showed there was high-stick contact. 

The Leafs CBC games have had Derek Lalonde (Detroit head coach; former ass't to Jon Cooper) on their intermission panels.  Regarding inGame 1, and the Bolts' 5th goal that was upheld (which, was lame ... I still fail to see how the puck A) crossed the line, and B) if it did - the only way it crossed is if Perry pushed Samsonov's pad across the line with the puck), Lalonde made the perfect comment "In today's game, the league wants to keep goals on the board as much as possible".  In reviews, it has to be completely conclusive to take a goal back.

I think the slash was a slash - the Kings player had his stick broken.  There's lots of other calls to beef about, but the Kings have had the fortune to convert both of their  OT PPs.  Edmonton has trailed for a total of 7 minutes in the series - and are down 2-1.

I still think it's a 7-game series.

Not that slash where the dudes stick was broken. The BS ‘unsportsmanlike’ they gave Draisaitl after McDavids second goal. He gave Doughtery a tap on the ankle as he skated past him and they called it a penalty. Something that happens after every scrum or whistle. Kings scored on the PP.

I have no skin in the game for either team so it makes no difference to me. I’m just saying the Kings had the fortune in that game. You need that type of luck to win the Cup due to how hard it is to win it.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1251 on: April 22, 2023, 01:21:11 PM »
Oh, yeah …. That one was horseshit.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1252 on: April 22, 2023, 07:34:34 PM »
Just watched the highlights of the 2OT game between the Jets and Knights. What a heartbreaking loss for Winnipeg.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1253 on: April 22, 2023, 09:23:34 PM »
The Kraken look terrible.

I’m not expecting to win the series, but I was hoping for a home ice win in our first playoff appearance

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #1254 on: April 22, 2023, 09:41:29 PM »
Just need to string a few minutes of a couple of good positive shifts and all of a sudden we got a tie game in Seattle.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1255 on: April 22, 2023, 10:03:44 PM »
Just need to string a few minutes of a couple of good positive shifts and all of a sudden we got a tie game in Seattle.

That was a shock! And a bit of a bummer….because I walked away because the dog needed out for the first one. Then after they scored that, I desperately had to use the bathroom thinking they would never score again THAT fast.  I ended up missing both goals.  :facepalm:  But that’s ok. I’m happy to be tied heading into the third. Just hope we can keep up the momentum.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1256 on: April 22, 2023, 10:13:11 PM »
So much for that.

Maybe I’m jinxing it by watching??  :lol :lol

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1257 on: April 23, 2023, 05:57:59 AM »
The Leafs had no business winning that game.  They were manhandled by the Bolts in the 2nd, and most of the third.  But O'Reilly and Samsonov pulled that W out for them.  Along with Acciari getting the opening goal, that trade with the Blues won that game for them.  It's nice to see the Leafs can win a game like that - where Tampa brought their A-game, and the Leafs brought their B-game.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1258 on: April 23, 2023, 06:07:48 AM »
Despite their insane regular season, tough draw for the Bruins in Round 2.  They'll either get the Lightning, whose recent playoff success goes without saying, or the Leafs, who are talented enough to easily make a deep run if they can finally get over the 1st round mental hurdle. 

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #1259 on: April 23, 2023, 07:49:50 AM »
Relieved to see the Devils get on the board in this series last night. Tough fought game and we got some bonus hockey.
Photobucket sucks.