Author Topic: NHL 2022-2023: FA July 13th - LET IT BEGIN  (Read 65875 times)

Offline Anguyen92

Re: NHL 2022-2023: FA July 13th - LET IT BEGIN
« Reply #1190 on: April 18, 2023, 12:15:42 AM »
This Wild/Stars series will go the distance and with goalies like these?  Got to be ready for the long haul in these games.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1191 on: April 18, 2023, 06:18:23 AM »
I couldn't stay up for either of the late games, although I did see some of the Wild/Stars game, but love seeing OT games! 

I did see Pavelski get knocked out of the game by what looked to be a clean hit (officials reviewed it and changed it from a major to nothing). Gotta keep your head on a swivel.

Offline Luoto

• Wandering midget
« Reply #1192 on: April 18, 2023, 07:34:42 AM »
I did see Pavelski get knocked out of the game by what looked to be a clean hit (officials reviewed it and changed it from a major to nothing). Gotta keep your head on a swivel.

It was admittedly a tough call but I don't think they got it right. Dumba committed to the hit after Pavelski had already passed the puck, so I wouldn't have considered him to be in possession at that point (a.k.a. interference). These kinds of dangerous hits shouldn't be in the game, playoffs or not.
Always too soon, always too late, always in between.

Online hunnus2000

« Reply #1193 on: April 18, 2023, 08:03:18 AM »
I think the real damage happened after his head ricocheted off the ice. I am no doctor but I don't have to be, he's concussed. I mean that was a Tua incident.

One of the bigger problems I had was he needed a stretcher. I realize it's a tough guy's game but let's be real. 

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #1194 on: April 18, 2023, 08:40:48 AM »
Also, going back to the scheduling thing.  I find it really perplexing that the Stars/Wild game started at around 8:30 PM their time.  This game didn't end until 1 AM CST.

Also, today's games doesn't really make sense from a scheduling perspective.  Golden Knights and Jets in Vegas at 6:30 PM PST.  Avs/Kraken at 7 PM in Colorado.  Since Colorado is Mountain time, wouldn't it better if the two games switched times to accommodate the live crowds?
« Last Edit: April 18, 2023, 09:03:25 AM by Anguyen92 »

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1195 on: April 18, 2023, 09:57:34 AM »
Gutsy win by the Kings. Never gave up. However, from a neutral point of view the Oilers completely dropped the ball on that one and handed the game over.

The Kings committed highway robbery this game.

Agree.  The Kings were outplayed for at least the first two periods.  They failed to take advantage of a bunch of power play opportunities.  On the other hand, they shut down McD, and that counts for a lot.  They need make it count by playing better tomorrow because I have no doubt the Oilers will.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1196 on: April 18, 2023, 09:58:16 AM »
Idiot me stayed up and watch both OT games.  didn't go to bed until after 2am.

So, Edmonton was 19-0-1 in their last 20 games, and then promptly blow TWO 2-goal leads in the 3rd period.   :facepalm:  Reminds me of the '93 Bruins .... finished the season 18-2 in the final 20 games, the promptly get swept with MAYDAY, MAYDAY, MAAAAAAYDAAAAAAAY!  (hard to believe he pulled that move on Ray-fucking-Borque!).

Oettinger got caught in an indecisive moment ... he subtly lurched forward to maybe poke-check the puck before Hartman got there, realized he wasn't going to get it, then lost his anchor foot against to post and couldn't push off laterally.  Tough break, as he'd been a stone-wall otherwise.

Let's see if Evason has the balls to stick to the 'tandem' goaltending that made them so successful, and put Flower in for Game 2.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #1197 on: April 18, 2023, 10:03:34 AM »
Idiot me stayed up and watch both OT games.  didn't go to bed until after 2am.

So, Edmonton was 19-0-1 in their last 20 games, and then promptly blow TWO 2-goal leads in the 3rd period.   :facepalm:  Reminds me of the '93 Bruins .... finished the season 18-2 in the final 20 games, the promptly get swept with MAYDAY, MAYDAY, MAAAAAAYDAAAAAAAY!  (hard to believe he pulled that move on Ray-fucking-Borque!).

Oettinger got caught in an indecisive moment ... he subtly lurched forward to maybe poke-check the puck before Hartman got there, realized he wasn't going to get it, then lost his anchor foot against to post and couldn't push off laterally.  Tough break, as he'd been a stone-wall otherwise.

Let's see if Evason has the balls to stick to the 'tandem' goaltending that made them so successful, and put Flower in for Game 2.

Yeah....I watched them as well. There is NOTHING like playoff hockey, I'm sorry to those of you who enjoy others sports as well. But those playoff games and format and championships are all a distant second to NHL Hockey playoff games and the Stanley Cup.

Edmonton had every chance to bury that game and lock down for the 'W'.....kudos to the Kings for being a pain in the a$$ and keeping their focus and effort going.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1198 on: April 18, 2023, 03:09:36 PM »

It was admittedly a tough call but I don't think they got it right. Dumba committed to the hit after Pavelski had already passed the puck, so I wouldn't have considered him to be in possession at that point (a.k.a. interference). These kinds of dangerous hits shouldn't be in the game, playoffs or not.

Okay, but you are allowed to hit the guy after he passes or shoots the puck, and I think the hit was within a reasonable time after Pavelski released the puck and not a late hit.  It was pretty close, I get it, and I was a little surprised when he got no penalty at all for the hit, as I thought the nasty fall might result in them giving a "the hit resulted in an injury" penalty.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1199 on: April 18, 2023, 04:19:18 PM »
League isn't going to review it.  They just announced it and Kev is right.  He just passed it and got hit right after he released it.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #1200 on: April 18, 2023, 08:00:03 PM »
It's going to be OK, Chad. It's just one game.

At least that's what Oilers fans are trying to believe.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #1201 on: April 18, 2023, 08:10:45 PM »
Chippy game with some weak calls on both sides. The biggest takeaway is how the Rangers smothered the Devils all game. New Jersey’s only goal was on a penalty shot after yet another weak penalty call, but beyond that, the Devils had a hard time getting any separation, and when they did, Igor worked his magic alongside the Rangers skaters getting a few key blocked shots. Obviously this series is far from over, but I liked what I saw in the first game other than the refs being too involved.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #1202 on: April 18, 2023, 08:34:16 PM »
Jingle, I haven't seen anything, but based on the scoresheet and what I've read, not really the greatest of starts for the Leafs.  That's easily a "forget everything that went wrong and move on," kind of game.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #1203 on: April 18, 2023, 08:36:55 PM »
Welp, I can't wait for the Devils playoff series to start on Thursday :lol
Photobucket sucks.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1204 on: April 18, 2023, 09:25:31 PM »
Considering it’s my first ever NHL playoff game, I’m just happy to be up 2-1 in the first game and playing so well.

I probably shouldn’t jinx it, but right now, even if we lose, I feel happy with the way that we are playing.

And what’s up with the Jets leading the Knights?
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1205 on: April 18, 2023, 10:44:45 PM »
WOW!!  7 beats 2, and 8 beats 1!!! On the road!!!

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #1206 on: April 18, 2023, 10:45:21 PM »
Well done, Kraken.  You have won your first playoff game in your franchise history against the defending cup champions and it was a pretty decisive win.  The Kraken was on top of everything and one step ahead of the Avs throughout the game.  Grubauer looked good in the win.

So far, 2-6 for the home teams in Game 1 and out of the 6 teams, I think two of them should feel good about their Game 1s to not let the loss affect them for the rest of the series.  Everyone else?  What the heck was that?  Especially the Golden Knights.  They looked really flat against the Jets.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1207 on: April 19, 2023, 09:17:10 AM »
WOW!!  7 beats 2, and 8 beats 1!!! On the road!!!

It's not as unusual as you might think.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1208 on: April 19, 2023, 09:36:10 AM »

Okay, but you are allowed to hit the guy after he passes or shoots the puck, and I think the hit was within a reasonable time after Pavelski released the puck and not a late hit.  It was pretty close, I get it, and I was a little surprised when he got no penalty at all for the hit, as I thought the nasty fall might result in them giving a "the hit resulted in an injury" penalty.

Look, I saw the hit and while I hate seeing players go down, with no dog in that hunt I struggled to see how that wasn't good hard hockey.  It was a LITTLE high, maybe, but no higher than a handful of hits over the last week or so.   I watched the stick and it was up but I didn't see any contact with the stick. In the first Bruins game, Marchand had his pituitary gland removed by a stick and no call.  I think it's part of the officiating these days in the NHL.  It's a fast game; they miss a fair amount.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1209 on: April 19, 2023, 10:28:03 AM »
Bergeron out again tonight.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1210 on: April 19, 2023, 10:54:05 AM »

Yup.  I was hoping to see him play live, one more time. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1211 on: April 19, 2023, 02:06:44 PM »

He probably wouldn't recognize you anyway, with your Bruins jacket all zipped up and all. ;D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1212 on: April 19, 2023, 03:34:03 PM »
I'll be the dot in the balcony. Lol

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1213 on: April 19, 2023, 03:44:53 PM »

He probably wouldn't recognize you anyway, with your Bruins jacket all zipped up and all. ;D

HAHAHAHA

I bought my Krejci jersey today.  Woo hoo.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1214 on: April 19, 2023, 03:58:30 PM »
Just found this tweet/video from Monday in Edmonton:  https://twitter.com/miketgould/status/1648211260805386241 .  Hope the person who threw the bottle is still sitting in jail.

And then there's this guy:

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1215 on: April 19, 2023, 04:03:20 PM »
C'mon, lighten up, Francis.   I draw the line at banging on the glass or throwing shit - those people should be expelled from the arena with prejudice - but if you're going to wear a hockey helmet to a game to begin with, you're not to be taken seriously.  What's a little trash talking in the form of a middle finger?   We'll all live.   

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1216 on: April 19, 2023, 04:20:33 PM »
I don't care about the birds; I just think the meme is funny.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1217 on: April 19, 2023, 04:55:05 PM »

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1218 on: April 19, 2023, 05:44:30 PM »
C'mon, lighten up, Francis.   I draw the line at banging on the glass or throwing shit - those people should be expelled from the arena with prejudice - but if you're going to wear a hockey helmet to a game to begin with, you're not to be taken seriously.  What's a little trash talking in the form of a middle finger?   We'll all live.

Wait…banging on the glass isn’t allowed? How long has that been a thing?

I mean, anything thrown on the ice at all (with the exception of post game seafood) should be a permanent ban all the way around. But I always thought banging on the glass was just part of the game.

The rowdies at the “Boone Street Barn” in Spokane (WHL team) used to do that all the time back in the 90s.  That and heckling the visiting team’s penalty box was half the fun. It was almost like a professional wrestling crowd.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1219 on: April 19, 2023, 05:48:15 PM »

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1220 on: April 19, 2023, 06:14:09 PM »

Wait…banging on the glass isn’t allowed? How long has that been a thing?

I mean, anything thrown on the ice at all (with the exception of post game seafood) should be a permanent ban all the way around. But I always thought banging on the glass was just part of the game.

The rowdies at the “Boone Street Barn” in Spokane (WHL team) used to do that all the time back in the 90s.  That and heckling the visiting team’s penalty box was half the fun. It was almost like a professional wrestling crowd.

Banging on the glass is allowed.  I think it's a bit of a douche move, but it's a big whatever to me.  If you're wearing a helmet to sit in the crowd, you may as well have a giant, flashing "douchebag" sign over your head.   :lol

Also, very nice, King!  Go Broons!

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1221 on: April 19, 2023, 06:38:31 PM »

You sitting with Charlie Jacobs?

I hear Gary Betman is here. I hope they put him on the jumbotron so we can boo,.  Lol

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1222 on: April 19, 2023, 06:39:26 PM »
Maybe it was just because I was 20 and always ended up in the “rowdy section”.

The other thing the whole section would do is verbally add the cymbal clashes to the Star Spangled Banner.

Singer: Oooooohhhhh say can you seeeeeeee

Section 12: “CHHHHHSSSSSHHHH”

Singer: Byyyyyy the dawns early liiiiggghhttt

Section 12: “CHHHHHHHSSSSSSHHHH”

It seems a little juvenile now I suppose.

Sometimes the visiting kid in the penalty box (remember the WHL players are between 16-20) would threaten to climb the glass.  (Which I’ve heard did happen on one occasion, but not that I ever saw)

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1223 on: April 19, 2023, 08:13:47 PM »
So many turnovers by the B's tonight. Easy scoring not touched at all. Panthers the aggressor tonight and it's paid off.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #1224 on: April 19, 2023, 11:07:50 PM »
Well, that was pretty rough.  The Kings got nothing going for like 30 minutes while the Oilers was coasting with two quick goals in the first.  The Kings have the fightback to tie the game, but they need to be on the ball and show that they can be on point from start to finish if they have a shot at this series.  Only held McDavid to a point (an assist) this series after two games, so that's a good sign.  Unfortunately, Draisaitl has 5 so far and he's been the more problematic guy to deal with so far in the series.  I guess it's also a positive sign that the Kings can be in it in this game 2 than last year's 6-0 debacle of a game 2.

It's a shame these games start so late.  This is going to be a great series and I think it's going to go long.  Unfortunately, Game 3 is this Friday and I got a ticket to see Gojira and Mastodon at the Forum the same day, so I will mull it over whether or not to sell the ticket.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2023, 11:16:33 PM by Anguyen92 »