Author Topic: NHL 2022-2023: FA July 13th - LET IT BEGIN  (Read 65949 times)

Offline Anguyen92

Re: NHL 2022-2023: FA July 13th - LET IT BEGIN
« Reply #1155 on: April 12, 2023, 11:31:21 AM »
Even if the Avs win both games on hand in regulation and tie the Golden Knights in pts. at 109, that would give the Avs 36 regulation wins compared to the Golden Knights 37 regulation wins.  Golden Knights would win the tiebreaker.  That's the 1st tiebreaker.

Per the standings page at the NHL website,

If two or more clubs are tied in points during the regular season, the standing of the clubs is determined in the following order:

The fewer number of games played (i.e., superior points percentage).
The greater number of games won, excluding games won in Overtime or by Shootout (i.e., "Regulation Wins"). This figure is reflected in the RW column.
The greater number of games won, excluding games won by Shootout. This figure is reflected in the ROW column.
The greater number of games won by the Club in any manner (i.e, "Total Wins"). This figure is reflected in the W column.
The greater number of points earned in games against each other among two or more tied clubs. For the purpose of determining standing for two or more Clubs that have not played an even number of games with one or more of the other tied Clubs, the first game played in the city that has the extra game (the "odd game") shall not be included. When more than two Clubs are tied, the percentage of available points earned in games among each other (and not including any "odd games") shall be used to determine standing.
The greater differential between goals for and against (including goals scored in Overtime or awarded for prevailing in Shootouts) for the entire regular season. This figure is reflected in the DIFF column.
The greater number of goals scored (including goals scored in Overtime or awarded for prevailing in Shootouts) for the entire regular season. This figure is reflected in the GF column.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2023, 11:37:36 AM by Anguyen92 »

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #1156 on: April 12, 2023, 11:48:58 AM »
Interesting.  I guess edmonton sewered the Avs chances of winning the West last night lol. I always thought ROW was the first tie breaker, but it makes sense they'd weigh regulation wins more heavily. That's what i get for not bothering to check the official tie break rules on nhl.com

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1157 on: April 12, 2023, 11:55:58 AM »
Colorado could still win the West which would put WC1 vs. Pacific winner. If both Edmonton and Vegas lose Thursday, combined  with Colorado winning both their remaining games, I think that puts the Avs atop the West. They'd be tied for pts and ROW with Vegas, but would have more wins. I think wins is the next tie breaker before head to head record or goal differential.

Nope.  The best Colorado can do is 109 points.  If Colorado wins both remaining games and Vegas earns 0 points in tomorrow's game, the two teams will be tied in points, but Vegas owns the first tiebreaker, which is regulation wins.  Vegas currently has 37 and Colorado has 34, so Colorado can't catch Vegas.  Likewise, if Edmonton also ends up at 109 points, they own the RW tiebreaker over both Vegas and Colorado (currently at 44).  ROW only comes into play if the teams are tied in both points and RW.

Interestingly (although not at all relevant for playoff seeding), Edmonton and Seattle are the only 2 teams in the NHL with 0 SO wins.

Edit...swopped by Anguyen!
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #1158 on: April 12, 2023, 12:57:24 PM »
Yeah.... Edmonton's record in extra time is abysmal this season.  You'd think they'd excel in the 3 on 3 format given they throw McDavid and Draisaitl out together. Certainly not the case

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1159 on: April 12, 2023, 02:09:20 PM »
Yeah.... Edmonton's record in extra time is abysmal this season.  You'd think they'd excel in the 3 on 3 format given they throw McDavid and Draisaitl out together. Certainly not the case

Looks like Edmonton has been pretty good at avoiding OT altogether.  If I'm doing the math right, they've only had 14 games go to OT and are 5-5 in OT and 0-4 in shootouts.  I didn't run numbers for everyone else, but that seems like a really low number of non-regulation outcomes.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1160 on: April 13, 2023, 07:46:03 PM »
Well, the ‘Canes win seems to have locked in all other options in the East. Now let’s see how the West shakes out.

Kraken are at home and if we pull the upset and LA loses to the Ducks, we’ll get a proper playoff spot (not that it really matters) and Edmonton will have a shot at 1st.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #1161 on: April 13, 2023, 07:52:29 PM »
Wildcard is a legit playoff spot. Used to be top 8 straight up, with division winners getting top 3 seeds in each conference.  Only but the nhl in the ass once (i think?) where a division winner finished with the 9th best record in their conference.

Even in the wc position,  you're top 8 in the West. This isn't some joke playoff play-in tourney

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1162 on: April 13, 2023, 07:59:12 PM »
Speaking of Wild Cards, the Bruins are going to play Florida. I would've preferred the Islanders, that's for sure.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1163 on: April 13, 2023, 07:59:36 PM »
We’re actually saying the same thing. I understand it really is a legit spot. When I said “not that it really matters” I was just facetiously addressing the fact that there isn’t any real difference between the top 3 playoff spots and the “wild card”.  It’s a difference in title only. They are all playoff spots and I’m actually pretty stoked to be in.

Now it’s just a matter of sorting out who we play.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #1164 on: April 13, 2023, 08:13:18 PM »
Hughes to Hughes for the OT winner to break the Devils wins and points records. 20 years from now we're going to be talking about putting a statue of Ellen Hughes up outside the arena :hat
Photobucket sucks.

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #1165 on: April 13, 2023, 08:13:56 PM »
We’re actually saying the same thing. I understand it really is a legit spot. When I said “not that it really matters” I was just facetiously addressing the fact that there isn’t any real difference between the top 3 playoff spots and the “wild card”.  It’s a difference in title only. They are all playoff spots and I’m actually pretty stoked to be in.

Now it’s just a matter of sorting out who we play.

Ah gotcha! You're still relatively new on this thread,  so i wasn't sure if you were like the MLB purists who despise the expanded playoffs, and only see the pennant winners as 'real playoff' spots earned

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1166 on: April 13, 2023, 08:24:06 PM »
But then again… the title “wild card” does make it sound like they are “2nd rate” teams when that’s not necessarily the case.

It just makes the other 6 spots sortof like being in the RNRHOF.  When you’re not in, it’s no big deal. But when you DO get in, it kinda feels like a big deal.  :lol

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1167 on: April 13, 2023, 08:28:06 PM »
UGH! What is ESPN doing to the puck? I’m watching the Kings/Ducks, and when LA went on the power play, they put a “tracer” on the puck.

Anyone remember when they tried highlighting it in yellow back in the 90s?

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #1168 on: April 13, 2023, 08:53:14 PM »
People hate the puck tracer thing when teams go on the PP.  It's too distracting and makes us think someone broke a stick.  When Bally was incorporating it in their broadcasts recently, Kings fans and even journalists like Helene Elliott of the LA Times, was like, "No.  Remove that please," and they actually did and Kings broadcasts don't have to see that thing anymore.  Wait, are you watching it on ESPN+ through the Ducks broadcasts?  The Ducks still have that thing?

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1169 on: April 13, 2023, 08:58:05 PM »
Apparently.

And ya I’m watching the Ducks broadcast. I’d rather hear the announcers from the team I’m rooting for.  :angel:

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #1170 on: April 13, 2023, 09:31:36 PM »
Well, Edmonton did their part. Fingers crossed the Kraken can pull their shit together

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1171 on: April 13, 2023, 10:16:30 PM »
Well, Edmonton did their part. Fingers crossed the Kraken can pull their shit together

If the Kings keep up what they are doing, it won’t matter to the Kraken.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #1172 on: April 13, 2023, 10:20:41 PM »
^^ Yeah, but I don't want the Kings to play the Oilers and it would be nice if the Oilers win the Conference title in the McDavid/Draisaitl era after the run those guys had.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #1173 on: April 13, 2023, 11:23:47 PM »
You only had one job and that was just to win one game in regulation, Seattle, in two shots to not let the Golden Knights win the Conference Title. Couldn't make that work for all of us to be happy about and now the Western pairings are as follows.

Golden Knights vs Jets
Oilers vs Kings
The higher of the Avs or Stars vs Kraken
The lower of the Avs or Stars vs Wild

If the Avs lose in any fashion in their final game against the Predators, they will face the Wild and the Stars will get the Kraken.  If the Avs win, it would be Avs vs Kraken, Stars vs Wild.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2023, 12:46:13 AM by Anguyen92 »

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1174 on: April 13, 2023, 11:48:11 PM »
And the shots were 31-19 in favor of Seattle.

And that first Vegas goal was practically an own goal.  Just in the sheer amount of missed opportunities…that one hurt.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1175 on: April 14, 2023, 09:11:38 AM »
Apparently.

And ya I’m watching the Ducks broadcast. I’d rather hear the announcers from the team I’m rooting for.  :angel:

Pro tip for the future (and I know I'm biased, but every survey on the subject bears me out):  John Ahlers and Brian Hayward are one of the worst broadcast teams in the NHL.

And the shots were 31-19 in favor of Seattle.

And that first Vegas goal was practically an own goal.  Just in the sheer amount of missed opportunities…that one hurt.

Reasonable minds may differ, but I think you guys are FAR better off against Dallas or Colorado.

The Kings at least have Mikey Anderson back, and that will make a huge difference against Edmonton.  If we can get at least 2 of the other 3 injured players back, then we might have a chance.  I'd really rather not have another year where we say, "yeah, but just think what might have been if everyone had been healthy...."

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #1176 on: April 14, 2023, 09:34:55 AM »
I, too, would not want to have another playoff loss where they blame it on injuries.  That's a losing mentality.  I would prefer if they get Vilardi and Fiala back just to help balance the power play lines better and help their offense more which is going to have to be a key factor for the playoff series against the Oilers.  As I said before, there's only going to be a limited amount of time they can do all they can to stop McDavid before McDavid is going to breakthrough and torch them in his ways.  The offensive punchback needs to be there for the Kings.  Vilardi almost seems ready to go for game one.  Been skating in the red non-contact jersey in practices this week.

And yes, Brian Hayward is the worst.  For the people that may not like Faust and Fox for the Kings broadcasts, those people haven't heard Brian Hayward.  I had the audio off so I wasn't listening to either broadcasts, but when I was listening to the recap from the Hockey Guy, he mentioned that Hayward kept saying that Kopitar's goal should not be allowed because he played it with a high stick and his stick was above the crossbar.  A. Apparently, that rule is applied if the goal is tipped in with a high stick, above the crossbar, which it wasn't.  and B. when Kopitar settled the puck down before getting it in, he played it at shoulder height and had his stick horizontal which is fine.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2023, 04:14:20 PM by Anguyen92 »

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1177 on: April 14, 2023, 10:04:33 AM »
And yes, Brian Hayward is the worst.  For the people that may not like Faust and Fox for the Kings broadcasts, those people haven't heard Brian Hayward.  I had the audio off so I wasn't listening to either broadcasts, but when I was listening to the recap from the Hockey Guy, he mentioned that Hayward kept saying that Kopitar's goal should not be allowed because he played it with a high stick and his stick was above the crossbar.  A. Apparently, that rule is applied if the goal is tipped in with a high stick, which is wasn't.  and B. when Kopitar settled the puck down before getting it in, he played it at shoulder height and had his stick horizontal which is fine.

I cannot fathom folks not liking Faust and Fox.  On the Kopitar goal, Fox called it immediately.  He said it was NOT a situation where the stick had to be at or below the height of the crossbar (and he noted that Kopi's stick almost certainly was above crossbar height).  He said that's the rule when the puck goes directly into the net, which wasn't what happened here.  He immediately noted that the rule applicable in that situation was the rule that applies any time the puck is played with a high stick.  It's shoulder height.  They had a replay that was almost exactly from ice level, and Fox said he thought the goal would count, but he noted that Toronto might have other angles, so he reserved judgment.  Not surprisingly, when the ref made the call, he explained it almost word for word what Fox had said.

This video pretty much sealed the deal with Hayward as a douchenozzle:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8_ZuWEtjQ8   Sadly, they didn't do a follow-up after the Kings won 2 of the next 3 Cups.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1178 on: April 14, 2023, 03:56:33 PM »
And yes, Brian Hayward is the worst.  For the people that may not like Faust and Fox for the Kings broadcasts, those people haven't heard Brian Hayward.  I had the audio off so I wasn't listening to either broadcasts, but when I was listening to the recap from the Hockey Guy, he mentioned that Hayward kept saying that Kopitar's goal should not be allowed because he played it with a high stick and his stick was above the crossbar.  A. Apparently, that rule is applied if the goal is tipped in with a high stick, which is wasn't.  and B. when Kopitar settled the puck down before getting it in, he played it at shoulder height and had his stick horizontal which is fine.

I cannot fathom folks not liking Faust and Fox. On the Kopitar goal, Fox called it immediately.  He said it was NOT a situation where the stick had to be at or below the height of the crossbar (and he noted that Kopi's stick almost certainly was above crossbar height).  He said that's the rule when the puck goes directly into the net, which wasn't what happened here.  He immediately noted that the rule applicable in that situation was the rule that applies any time the puck is played with a high stick.  It's shoulder height.  They had a replay that was almost exactly from ice level, and Fox said he thought the goal would count, but he noted that Toronto might have other angles, so he reserved judgment.  Not surprisingly, when the ref made the call, he explained it almost word for word what Fox had said.

This video pretty much sealed the deal with Hayward as a douchenozzle:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8_ZuWEtjQ8   Sadly, they didn't do a follow-up after the Kings won 2 of the next 3 Cups.

They're horrible.  Maybe not as horrible as a duo that doesn't know their hockey, but it's like Jammin' says:  if you're going to listen to homers, it might as well be YOUR homers (and that's not a great example; there was an example in the Oilers game where Anderson was hurt that WAS a judgement call, and they just couldn't allow for an outcome that wasn't in favor of the Kings).

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #1179 on: April 14, 2023, 04:09:36 PM »
I wanted 5 and an ejection on McDavid on that hit, but that's just not happening two minutes into the game.  That's nearly the same thing he did to Kempe around late 2021 and he got ejected and the Kings made the Oilers pay with three power play goals on the major.

No matter, naturally, it has to come to this. Another playoff series against the Oilers.  No matter what happened in all of the events during the regular season series, it's about getting it done in the playoffs.  For those that says Gl, you're going to need it.  I'm saying, "Not as much as you.....  Brother."

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1180 on: April 15, 2023, 08:15:22 AM »
Man, the NHL is dumb.  Connor McDavid is the guy who they should be trying to market, yet every Kings/Oilers game is on super late to where only people on the west coast will be able to see their games.  Even the games next weekend on Friday and Sunday are on super late.  Not sure why the Sunday game couldn't be an afternoon game...oh, that's right, because the East Coast teams are all that anyone cares about apparently.

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1181 on: April 15, 2023, 09:01:49 AM »
Well, the Leafs ended the 5-game road-trip 3-2.  Could've been better, but it'll do.  Nine games to go, 7 points up on Tampa with one game in hand.  Leafs would have to go 3-6 and Tampa go 8-0 for Tampa to gain home ice advantage.  Unlikely, but mathematically it's possible.

RoR could be back as early as Wednesday against the Panthers.

Every Toronto fan of my generation remembers 1987 when the Blue Jays were up 3 1/2 games on the Tigers with 5 to go, and within a week Detroit won the AL East by 2 games.

Gibby's HR on the next to last Sunday.  Trammell's extra inning game winning single in Game 161.  Tanana's 1-0 masterpiece and Larry Herndon's HR in the finale.  Yeah, Tiger fans won't forget that season (along with the damn Twins' wives and their whistles :censored)

I'd been waiting to chime in as to the Red Wings.  I believe they were actually in 8th place around the 60 game mark, but sellers at the trade deadline.  First chance at a winning season since 2016, and they lose their last five games.  :facepalm:   In Stevie Y, We Trust <fingers crossed>

Hockey barely gets mentioned in Maryland, and when the Caps get eliminated (too) early every year but one over the past ten plus, the sport becomes nonexistent.

Good luck to those who still have a team in the hunt.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2023, 10:01:41 AM by DragonAttack »
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1182 on: April 15, 2023, 09:16:26 AM »
Man, the NHL is dumb.  Connor McDavid is the guy who they should be trying to market, yet every Kings/Oilers game is on super late to where only people on the west coast will be able to see their games.  Even the games next weekend on Friday and Sunday are on super late.  Not sure why the Sunday game couldn't be an afternoon game...oh, that's right, because the East Coast teams are all that anyone cares about apparently.

The East Coast rules!!!

No, Kev, I totally get your point. Aggravating.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #1183 on: April 15, 2023, 10:36:44 AM »
The schedule makes perfect sense. They're trying to avoid overlap between the East and West coast games, likely due to contractual obligations with the TV rights holders among other reasons.  They also need to balance this with the local markets. They can't start weekday games at 6pm MST or they risk having plenty of empty seats at the start of the game.

The easy answer would be starting the East games at 6 EST, but then you have the same problem in local markets. The simple fact is that you can't have teams play across 3 time zo es without some degree of issue

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1184 on: April 15, 2023, 12:16:33 PM »

The East Coast rules!!!

No, Kev, I totally get your point. Aggravating.

I get his point too, and I'd like to see those games as well, but the fact is, the East Coast games DO draw more.  I don't have this season numbers, but last season Edmonton and LA were, what, 22 and 23 in average attendance?  EVERY Bruin away game (and it's the same for the Rangers) there's a meaningful percentage of Bruins jerseys in the crowd.  Hell, at most AWAY games there's a "LET'S GO BRUINS" cheer at some point during the game.

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #1185 on: April 15, 2023, 12:53:09 PM »
Average attendance is skewed though by seating capacity.  Pretty well every single oilers game is a sell out, but the arena only seats 18k for hockey. The boggest difference is that an overwhelming majority of the population lives in the east. I don't know the exact number,  and am too lazy to look it up, but i wouldn't bat an eye if some told me 70% of the US/Canada population is in the eastern timezone.

One interesting fact i learned about Canada's population is that 90% (i.e. 33M of the 36M) live within 100 miles of the US border. That means half of the folks who don't live within that 100 mile range live in the metro Edmonton area (pop ~1.5M)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1186 on: April 15, 2023, 04:05:27 PM »
Average attendance is skewed though by seating capacity.  Pretty well every single oilers game is a sell out, but the arena only seats 18k for hockey. The boggest difference is that an overwhelming majority of the population lives in the east. I don't know the exact number,  and am too lazy to look it up, but i wouldn't bat an eye if some told me 70% of the US/Canada population is in the eastern timezone.

One interesting fact i learned about Canada's population is that 90% (i.e. 33M of the 36M) live within 100 miles of the US border. That means half of the folks who don't live within that 100 mile range live in the metro Edmonton area (pop ~1.5M)

WOW.  That IS interesting; i didn't know that.     Huh. 

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #1187 on: April 17, 2023, 11:34:33 PM »
Gutsy win by the Kings. Never gave up. However, from a neutral point of view the Oilers completely dropped the ball on that one and handed the game over.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #1188 on: April 17, 2023, 11:42:14 PM »
The Kings committed highway robbery this game.  Things looked really bleak after the first two periods and makes me think, "This reminds me of last year's series where the Kings just don't have enough offensive oomph in their game.  That's why they went out and got Kevin Fiala to help that area, but he's injured for God only knows how long."  After Kopitar and Kempe was quiet through last year's series, it's nice when they were the ones that had to drag the team to force OT.  It also helps that they got some timely PPs that they were able to convert after going 0 for 4 and then converting on the last two.

I don't expect this series to go in this trend and I know McDavid (he had no pts. this game.  Draisaitl had two goals and was very effective 5v5 against Kopitar's line) and co. will be pissed enough to come roaring in game two.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #1189 on: April 18, 2023, 12:02:30 AM »
Wild win it. Both goalies were huge. I can’t stand either of those teams so if there’s a way neither win the series I’d like to see it.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind