Author Topic: Artists whose last album was their best.  (Read 4136 times)

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Re: Artists whose last album was their best.
« Reply #35 on: July 08, 2022, 12:54:11 AM »
Slipknot - We Are Not Your Kind.

I don't think you understand the thread dude, it's not artists whose last album was their WORST  :facepalm:

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #36 on: July 08, 2022, 06:41:14 AM »
2pac - All Eyez on Me
The Notorious B.I.G. - Life After Death

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #37 on: July 08, 2022, 06:47:13 AM »

I don't think you understand the thread dude, it's not artists whose last album was their WORST  :facepalm:

Really?  Easily their best.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #38 on: July 08, 2022, 07:07:09 AM »

Tastes and all that, but I think Slipknot's last few albums have been lacking and nowhere near the level of their self titled, Iowa and Subliminal Verses. Those albums are just on another level to me.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #39 on: July 08, 2022, 07:09:18 AM »
It's not their last, but if it was, I would put both Neal Morse Band and Iron Maiden on this list.

Stadler, I have seen you mention this a couple of times before - I'm genuinely curious about this take, since clearly you are someone that has been listening to music for a while (I mean it in the best possible way  ;)).

This is not me saying - OMG how can that be?!  :biggrin: I like Senjutsu very much myself (not as much as you do, though!). Just wondering how it came to be your #1, as I assume it's not just about "new car smell"...

I dunno; I haven't given it much thought (but I will!).   It's just an album that I WANT to listen to, more than most in the catalogue.  It might well be "new car smell"; I can't rule that out.  But that usually fades pretty quick with me.  There are a LOT of CDs in my collection that I've literally only listened to once or twice.  But I find myself putting this on when I need an hour or so of music playing and it just delivers everything I'm looking for in music these days.  It's very similar to NMB I&D in that way; substitute two guitars for two keyboards and they're not that dissimilar.  There's probably an element too of being on a high with both bands; they both deliver live in a way that I find most other bands don't.   I'm still talking about the last Maiden show and it was going on three years ago now. 

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #40 on: July 08, 2022, 07:20:19 AM »

Tastes and all that, but I think Slipknot's last few albums have been lacking and nowhere near the level of their self titled, Iowa and Subliminal Verses. Those albums are just on another level to me.

I like Vol 3 a lot.  I dunno, something about this new one just gave me a new appreciation of the band.  Home run for me.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #41 on: July 08, 2022, 11:48:41 AM »
I've been thinking about this all day, and I initially struggled to come up with a repsonse.

I mean, most of my favorite bands/artists either 'debatably' went out with a wimper or are activly working on it.

Then, I remembered Poe's 2001 release 'Haunted.'

Few of you have probably heard this album, but for those who have, this remains a hidden gem.

The record is an incredible mash-up of trip-hop, alt-rock, and soundscapes, and the story (https://25yearslatersite.com/2020/10/27/haunted-poes-emotional-masterpiece/) of why Poe hasn't recorded since is equally compelling.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #42 on: July 08, 2022, 11:52:00 AM »
I can only come up with Abbey Road too (my favourite album by my favourite band, btw).
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #43 on: July 08, 2022, 12:43:23 PM »
I think Dead Again by Type O Negative is a flawless masterpiece.

It's a decent album, but nothing beats the Bloody Kisses / October Rust / World Coming Down era, for me.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #44 on: July 08, 2022, 08:55:15 PM »
I've been thinking about this all day, and I initially struggled to come up with a repsonse.

I mean, most of my favorite bands/artists either 'debatably' went out with a wimper or are activly working on it.

Then, I remembered Poe's 2001 release 'Haunted.'

Few of you have probably heard this album, but for those who have, this remains a hidden gem.

The record is an incredible mash-up of trip-hop, alt-rock, and soundscapes, and the story (https://25yearslatersite.com/2020/10/27/haunted-poes-emotional-masterpiece/) of why Poe hasn't recorded since is equally compelling.
I came to know this album due to the House of Leaves connection, and it's got some great tunes.

Offline RandalGraves

« Reply #45 on: July 09, 2022, 08:44:32 AM »
The Swell Season - Strict Joy

I could see where most might prefer their first album because that has all the tracks people know from Once but Strict Joy is the "break-up album." It's chock full of tracks about heartache, regret, letting go, etc. Front to back I prefer it to the first because it's so emotional.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #46 on: July 09, 2022, 08:55:29 AM »
Abbey Road has already been mentioned but I do agree with that one. Nick Drake's Pink Moon comes to mind, what a perfect album that is. I think there's a case to be made for Joy Division's Closer (although they only made 2 albums so it might be cheating) but if they do count then Slint's Spiderland is another one. I would say Talk Talk ended with their best album - Laughing Stock. Mr. Bungle has 3 very consistently amazing albums in my opinion but their final one - California might be the best one.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #47 on: July 09, 2022, 09:08:31 AM »
Any votes for "Coda" by Led Zeppelin?   :) :) : ) (I'm not suggesting it; it's not their best by a long shot; it's just indicative of what happens for a lot of bands).

Offline jammindude

« Reply #48 on: July 15, 2022, 09:18:25 AM »
Until the reunion happened, I would have said Galactic Cowboys. Let It Go was absolutely brilliant.

But then they got back together with Dane and recorded the extremely good Long Way Back to the Moon. Not the masterpiece that Let It Go was, but worthy of their classic material.

You know, I love their first two records and I don't think I've given the more recent ones a fair shot. Is Let It Go THAT good (meaning, better than the first two)?

YMMV…but to me? ABSOLUTELY!

Fair warning. While there are some very straightforward songs, the album as a whole is more experimental. It’s got almost a “Sgt Pepper” feel to it. Fans of the earlier straightforward approach thought it was just OK, but it definitely showed a bit more of a dive into their proggier side.

Now…if you prefer that straightforward approach of the first two, you WOULD absolutely love Long Way Back to the Moon (which features the return of Dane, who was the guitarist on the first two albums). For me, it did a fantastic job of recapturing the feel of the early material, but it also felt maybe like going backwards as far as progression goes. Still a great album though.

Thank you for this - I'll check it out!

Hey nick… just thought you might want to know that the reunion album Long Way Back to the Moon has been marked down to $5.

https://usa-store.mascotlabelgroup.com/collections/5-cd/products/galactic-cowboys-long-way-back-to-the-moon-cd?fbclid=IwAR39RRVfPuFSpx_qfVdunE61XAEKpRbt2yuZ6tIYc4QueDPPeNmw09c_nCs
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Online nick_z

« Reply #49 on: July 15, 2022, 09:44:33 AM »

Hey nick… just thought you might want to know that the reunion album Long Way Back to the Moon has been marked down to $5.

https://usa-store.mascotlabelgroup.com/collections/5-cd/products/galactic-cowboys-long-way-back-to-the-moon-cd?fbclid=IwAR39RRVfPuFSpx_qfVdunE61XAEKpRbt2yuZ6tIYc4QueDPPeNmw09c_nCs

Nice! Thank you - I might just snatch it  :tup

Online TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #50 on: July 15, 2022, 10:56:58 AM »
Nirvana-In Utero
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline jammindude

« Reply #51 on: July 15, 2022, 12:54:10 PM »

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #52 on: July 15, 2022, 01:12:43 PM »
Nirvana-In Utero

Great call!

Well, you're right on the band, but wrong album:  MTV Unplugged In New York.  No offense, but while I'm not a huge Nirvana fan to begin with, In Utero is their worst record.   

Offline Mr.Mister

« Reply #53 on: July 15, 2022, 01:45:40 PM »
Icky Thumb by the White Stripe could be in this list.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #54 on: July 15, 2022, 06:05:37 PM »
Toy Matinee!

Ha! I tried getting in to that album when I read Guy Pratt, who has worked with a ton of talent, heaped a ton of praise on it, calling it one of the best projects he was ever involved with, but it just didn't do anything for me. 

Whoever said After Forever - that is a good call on that one.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #55 on: July 16, 2022, 02:14:06 PM »
I'll concur on After Forever and Death. 

Demiurg with Slakthus Gamleby.  I never would have guessed that Marjan Welman was the missing ingredient to making one of the best Swedeath albums ever, but she really adds the finishing touches on a few tracks.  Maybe it's SweDutchDeath since Warby is also from the Netherlands. 

If you count Triptykon as a separate entity without Ain's involvement, it's Celtic Frost with Monotheist.  Everything just came together on that one. 

Pineforest Crunch with Panamarenko was easily my favorite. 

Royal Anguish with A Journey Through the Shadows of Time.  Supposedly they had a followup virtually finished, and I heard samples from it back in the day, but the band seemed to implode, so it may never see the light of day and leave that one as going out with a bang. 

Quo Vadis with Defiant Imagination, just a spectacular album. 

Daylight Dies is supposedly still active, but it's been over a decade now, and A Frail Becoming is arguably their best. 

If Van Halen had stopped after III I might go there.

Interesting, I often feel like one of the only people in the world who loves this album.  I'm biased because it's the first full album of theirs I heard, but it has really underrated tracks like "Fire in the Hole" and "Once".  Even "Without You", which everyone thinks they hate because of Todd in the Shadows, has incredible rhythm guitar playing especially.  I think it would have been better received as an EVH solo album.  I just never cared for DLR or Hagar, so even though they have earlier albums that are probably objectively better, I don't listen to them as much. 
« Last Edit: July 16, 2022, 02:20:04 PM by LithoJazzoSphere »

Online HOF

« Reply #56 on: July 16, 2022, 02:34:26 PM »

Interesting, I often feel like one of the only people in the world who loves this album.  I'm biased because it's the first full album of theirs I heard, but it has really underrated tracks like "Fire in the Hole" and "Once".  Even "Without You", which everyone thinks they hate because of Todd in the Shadows, has incredible rhythm guitar playing especially.  I think it would have been better received as an EVH solo album.  I just never cared for DLR or Hagar, so even though they have earlier albums that are probably objectively better, I don't listen to them as much.

I needed you in the top 50 VH songs thread!

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #57 on: July 16, 2022, 02:52:02 PM »
Nirvana-In Utero

Great call!

Well, you're right on the band, but wrong album:  MTV Unplugged In New York.  No offense, but while I'm not a huge Nirvana fan to begin with, In Utero is their worst record.   

Completely agree with you, the unplugged album was easily their best.

Online LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #58 on: July 16, 2022, 03:16:00 PM »

I needed you in the top 50 VH songs thread!

Yeah, I'm probably a bit too casual of a fan for it.  Maybe I could have done it right after I did a full discography runthrough right after he passed, but a lot of the lesser known tracks from various albums have probably gone back out of my head again.  Other than the dozen songs everyone knows because classic rock radio won't let go of them, there's only maybe another dozen or two I listen to with any degree of regularity. 

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #59 on: July 16, 2022, 05:28:37 PM »

Insomnium- Heart like a grave

Agree.

I agree with Slipknot, excellent album.

Can't think of any other artist where this applies.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #60 on: July 16, 2022, 05:54:49 PM »
Toy Matinee!

Ha! I tried getting in to that album when I read Guy Pratt, who has worked with a ton of talent, heaped a ton of praise on it, calling it one of the best projects he was ever involved with, but it just didn't do anything for me. 

When did you first listen to it?  Last Plane Out got a ton of radio play at the time it was released, and I really dug the song and bought the album and found a bunch of similar songs that I really liked.  However, if you didn't hear it until recently (maybe the last 10 years or so), I can understand it might not click.  I still enjoy it, but I think it's definitely a product of its time.  The funny thing is that no one who played on that album is at all familiar to me (except Julian Lennon, who did backing vocals on a couple songs, and a then unknown Sheryl Crow, who played keys and did some backing vocals).
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #61 on: July 16, 2022, 06:02:39 PM »
Toy Matinee!

When did you first listen to it?  Last Plane Out got a ton of radio play at the time it was released, and I really dug the song and bought the album and found a bunch of similar songs that I really liked.  However, if you didn't hear it until recently (maybe the last 10 years or so), I can understand it might not click.  I still enjoy it, but I think it's definitely a product of its time.  The funny thing is that no one who played on that album is at all familiar to me (except Julian Lennon, who did backing vocals on a couple songs, and a then unknown Sheryl Crow, who played keys and did some backing vocals).

When I read Guy's book a few years ago, the name wasn't familiar to me, and when then I listened to the album, none of the songs were either. 
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #62 on: July 16, 2022, 06:13:04 PM »
Toy Matinee!

Sheryl Crow did not appear on the Toy Matinee studio album.

Sheryl is on this:

Not everyone would know all the performers, even Patrick Leonard, while he got known in the industry for producing some of Madonna's biggest records, isn't a household name.

Bill Botrell, Tim Pierce, Brian McLeod, Marc Bonilla (who played with them live) were all industry people that came to be known, but wouldn't necessarily be known by your average music fan.

Truth be, Julian Lennon and Guy Pratt may have been the most well known "names" when it was made, which is scary.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #63 on: July 16, 2022, 06:20:47 PM »
a few years ago

Makes sense.

Sheryl Crow did not appear on the Toy Matinee studio album.

I was looking at the Wikipedia article when I wrote my prior post, but I wasn't paying much attention.  She's listed under "Live Band," and I have since checked the CD booklet, and it doesn't mention her, so my bad.  I'm guessing this is she in the background:  https://youtu.be/f5vleAO9z8o

EDIT:  This one shows her better (and both list her in the description):  https://youtu.be/F4vDIq32l6g
« Last Edit: July 16, 2022, 06:36:27 PM by pg1067 »
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #64 on: July 17, 2022, 07:19:33 AM »
well, A Night At The Opera and Innuendo are my two alltime favourite Queen albums and so I think Innuendo will qualify here at least (and yes I know Made In Heaven was released posthumously and all that)

Ghost In The Machine and Synchronicity by The Police are my two favourites by them, and so likewise, Synchronicity qualifies
« Last Edit: July 17, 2022, 12:01:55 PM by Max Kuehnau »
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #65 on: July 17, 2022, 07:27:52 AM »
Nirvana-In Utero

Great call!

1. I never considered 'Unplugged' (or any live album for that matter) to be an official 'album' release. By this logic, 'Celebration Day' is Led Zeppelin's final release.

2. Count me in as someone who considers 'In Utero' to not only be Nirvana's best album (by a mile), but also one of the best album's of the decade.

I love Albini's production (do you all know that, to this day, the man still charges a flat fee to record, and only made a few thousand dollars to record Nirvana?).

The songs are a great representation of everything Kurt had done as a songwriter...pensive ballads (Dumb), radio-friendly-unit-shifters (Heart Shaped Box, Rape Me), stage-ready rockers (Serve the Servents, Frances Farmer...), and brazen noise-fests (Tourettes). Oh, and don't even get me started on Scentless Apprentice...jesus, what a riff!

The performances are visceral (again, thanks to Albini's methods).

And, above all else, I feel like the album was a nod to where Kurt was heading. Obviously, the man (really, he was still a kid) was troubled, but I firmly believe that if he had gotten the help he so desparately needed, he could've/would've setteled into a reclusive, artistic phase not unlike J. Mascis or Bob Mould or Pearl Jam, content to write and record without the pressure of expectation. His fans would've been there for all the twists and turns, and the masses would continue to say 'Nevermind was their peak.'

Bleach is interesting.

Nevermind is, well, it's the closest thing alt-rock got to 'Thriller.'

In Utero, however, is the epitome of a band captured at the peak of their powers.

Online DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #66 on: July 17, 2022, 07:40:54 AM »
'Synchonicity' by a far margin.  #1 in six countries, certified Platinum in six countries, including 8x Platinum in the States.

Personally, I'd list 'Abbey Road'....even though it's not quite their last, but I lost a trivia tie breaker once on this.  They didn't legally break up until '74, but that's how the PTB listed it.

It's not a majority, but many Queen fans list 'Innuendo'.  I disagree, but would never 'argue' against their opinion.  It certainly was their best album in a decade (even with 'Delilah')
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Online Trav86

« Reply #67 on: July 17, 2022, 09:42:33 AM »
I forgot about Synchronicity. That’s definitely one. Also, Jellyfish Spilt Milk. They only had two albums, but still.
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #68 on: July 17, 2022, 11:56:06 AM »
1 that only semi-qualifies

sElf - Super Fake Nice

it's just an EP and likely soon Matt Mahaffey will be releasing something new to not make this release the last thing sElf did, but as much as I love many of the sElf albums like Breakfast With Girls, Gizmodgery and Ornament & Crime especially, Super Fake Nice is 6 tracks that are all more or less perfect.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #69 on: July 17, 2022, 12:37:05 PM »
Completely agree with everything Munny said about In Utero.

And now I feel terrible that I didn’t think of Spilt Milk first. Literally a desert island disc for me.