Author Topic: Artists whose last album was their best.  (Read 4132 times)

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
Artists whose last album was their best.
« on: July 06, 2022, 06:13:30 AM »
We had artists who peaked with their debut thread recently, so let's go the other way.  Obviously I'm talking about artists/bands whom are no longer together, retired or no longer with us - who have a final album. 

I think I'd like to say the artist has to have a minimum of 3 proper albums recorded to qualify and I'm talking final studio album, not live or compilations.

Here's a couple to get started...

Simon and Garfunkel - Bridge over Troubled Water.
White Zombie - Astro Creep 2000.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: Artists whose last album was their best.
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2022, 06:21:04 AM »
Abbey Road - The Beatles

That was the last studio album the Beatles wrote and recorded as a band. Give an asterisk if you want since Let It Be was technically released after it (but most of it was recorded in pieces before Abbey Road, and several of the songs had even been released as singles before Abbey Road, so Let It Be seems more like a collection of songs pieced together to round out the band's history as they were breaking up rather than a proper studio album), but that's the first one that came to mind.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2022, 06:45:31 AM »
Abbey Road - The Beatles

That was the last studio album the Beatles wrote and recorded as a band. Give an asterisk if you want since Let It Be was technically released after it (but most of it was recorded in pieces before Abbey Road, and several of the songs had even been released as singles before Abbey Road, so Let It Be seems more like a collection of songs pieced together to round out the band's history as they were breaking up rather than a proper studio album), but that's the first one that came to mind.

Personally I'd put it behind Revolver and I think general consensus is Sgt Peppers is their best?  But Abbey Road is certainly in the conversation.

Offline Skeever

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2022, 06:57:47 AM »
Assuming posthumous albums don't count...

Jimi Hendrix - Electric Ladyland

Offline krands85

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2022, 07:01:19 AM »
I don't listen to that much 'old' music, so I guess I have less of a pool to choose from, but the only one I can think of is Reuben with 'In Nothing we Trust' - though even that was only their third album.

I was going to say Eden's Curse with 'Cardinal' as well, but I've just seen that they actually reformed last year, which I had no idea about!
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2022, 07:08:17 AM »
Cliff Burton alone counts?
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2022, 10:19:37 AM »
The Police - Synchronicity
Saigon Kick - Devil in the Details
Burst - Lazarus Bird
Daft Punk - Random Access Memories

Offline me7

• Disciple of the Cockroach
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2022, 10:21:38 AM »

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2022, 10:32:18 AM »
Simon and Garfunkel - Bridge over Troubled Water.

Sidebar; I'm in Nashville and we did a tour of the historic RCA Studio B, where Elvis recorded almost 200 tracks. They played a snippet of Elvis singing "Bridge Over Troubled Water" and turned the lights down to a dim red.  It gave me CHILLS.   His voice was SO GOOD...  It's worth checking out.

It's not their last, but if it was, I would put both Neal Morse Band and Iron Maiden on this list. Their most recent records are my favorites, still.  But bands we know are done, I'm not sure I have any except for the Beatles (I'm an Abbey Road guy).  I could do eras; the best Uli Roth Scorpions record was his last - Taken By Force.  The best Peter Gabriel/Genesis record was the last, The Lamb.   The best John Wetton King Crimson record was his last, Red.   The best Fish/Marillion record was the last: Clutching At Straws. 

Too many bands have one last hurrah shit release that ruins this (Rainbow; my answer would be Bent Out Of Shape if it weren't for Stranger In Us All, not that it's shit, but it's not at the level of what came before). 

Offline Dave_Manchester

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2022, 10:36:18 AM »
Camel's last album A Nod and a Wink (released 20 years ago so I'm assuming it's their final one) is my favourite of theirs, even more so than their classic 70s trio (Mirage, The Snow Goose and Moonmadness).

Offline pg1067

« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2022, 10:41:52 AM »
Toy Matinee!

Seriously, though...I can't think of a single band/artist for whom this is the case.  I don't agree about Abbey Road, but that's probably the closest one.  There are FAR more Yesses out there than Beatles.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online HOF

« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2022, 10:43:24 AM »
Camel's last album A Nod and a Wink (released 20 years ago so I'm assuming it's their final one) is my favourite of theirs, even more so than their classic 70s trio (Mirage, The Snow Goose and Moonmadness).

That’s a good call! Not sure if it’s their best or not, but it’s up there.

Offline Deathless

« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2022, 11:08:52 AM »
This thread also made me think of bands that have ended early due to breakups/deaths etc. Maybe the Smiths?

Online ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2022, 12:10:19 PM »
After Forever came to mind. I remember their last album being really strong and being sad that they called it a day after it.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Online HOF

« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2022, 12:11:08 PM »
There aren't a lot of bands I can think of who are definitely done, let alone those who might have made their last album their best one. Rush and Genesis are two that are done, but their last albums were far from their best. If Van Halen had stopped after III I might go there.

I don't actually own any of their albums so I can't say with certainty, but I think there are probably people who would say The Police's Synchronicity is their best?

I would say Pink Floyd's The Division Bell, but that only works if you don't count The Endless River (not sure you should).

Offline jammindude

« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2022, 12:47:34 PM »
Until the reunion happened, I would have said Galactic Cowboys. Let It Go was absolutely brilliant.

But then they got back together with Dane and recorded the extremely good Long Way Back to the Moon. Not the masterpiece that Let It Go was, but worthy of their classic material.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline nick_z

« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2022, 01:09:21 PM »
Until the reunion happened, I would have said Galactic Cowboys. Let It Go was absolutely brilliant.

But then they got back together with Dane and recorded the extremely good Long Way Back to the Moon. Not the masterpiece that Let It Go was, but worthy of their classic material.

You know, I love their first two records and I don't think I've given the more recent ones a fair shot. Is Let It Go THAT good (meaning, better than the first two)?

It's not their last, but if it was, I would put both Neal Morse Band and Iron Maiden on this list.

Stadler, I have seen you mention this a couple of times before - I'm genuinely curious about this take, since clearly you are someone that has been listening to music for a while (I mean it in the best possible way  ;)).

This is not me saying - OMG how can that be?!  :biggrin: I like Senjutsu very much myself (not as much as you do, though!). Just wondering how it came to be your #1, as I assume it's not just about "new car smell"...

Offline Trav86

« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2022, 01:28:56 PM »
Abbey Road - The Beatles

Yeah, I think this should count.
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline jammindude

« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2022, 01:31:36 PM »

You know, I love their first two records and I don't think I've given the more recent ones a fair shot. Is Let It Go THAT good (meaning, better than the first two)?

YMMV…but to me? ABSOLUTELY!

Fair warning. While there are some very straightforward songs, the album as a whole is more experimental. It’s got almost a “Sgt Pepper” feel to it. Fans of the earlier straightforward approach thought it was just OK, but it definitely showed a bit more of a dive into their proggier side.

Now…if you prefer that straightforward approach of the first two, you WOULD absolutely love Long Way Back to the Moon (which features the return of Dane, who was the guitarist on the first two albums). For me, it did a fantastic job of recapturing the feel of the early material, but it also felt maybe like going backwards as far as progression goes. Still a great album though.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2022, 04:04:12 PM »
Burst - Lazarus Bird

I really liked this band and have barely ever heard them mentioned anywhere. Great record.

I might say Rush. Clockwork Angels was so good.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline nick_z

« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2022, 04:13:59 PM »

YMMV…but to me? ABSOLUTELY!

Fair warning. While there are some very straightforward songs, the album as a whole is more experimental. It’s got almost a “Sgt Pepper” feel to it. Fans of the earlier straightforward approach thought it was just OK, but it definitely showed a bit more of a dive into their proggier side.

Now…if you prefer that straightforward approach of the first two, you WOULD absolutely love Long Way Back to the Moon (which features the return of Dane, who was the guitarist on the first two albums). For me, it did a fantastic job of recapturing the feel of the early material, but it also felt maybe like going backwards as far as progression goes. Still a great album though.

Thank you for this - I'll check it out!

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2022, 04:29:04 PM »
I've got a few more to add...

Death - The Sound of Perseverance
No Use for a Name -The Feel Good Record of the Year
Bolt Thrower - Those Once Loyal

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2022, 05:28:21 PM »
Abbey Road - The Beatles

Personally I'd put it behind Revolver and I think general consensus is Sgt Peppers is their best?  But Abbey Road is certainly in the conversation.

I am not sure there is a consensus anymore.  When I was young, it felt like Sgt Pepper was the consensus, but has time has gone on, it feels like Revolver, Sgt Pepper and Abbey Road are all about equal across the board (which is highest almost depends on where you look).  Personally, I dock Revolver just a tad because it has such a bland opener (Taxman), but it is otherwise fantastic.

That might be the best pick here, as I think that is their best album by a wide distance.

I would say Pink Floyd's The Division Bell, but that only works if you don't count The Endless River (not sure you should).

The Endless River, to me, is similar to Queen's Made in Heaven in that it feels like an album of leftovers thrown together and released more than a real studio album, but that is splitting hairs.  The Division Bell is great, regardless.  :tup :tup

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2022, 07:04:47 PM »
Abbey Road - The Beatles, for the win.

Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2022, 07:31:42 PM »
Pendulum - Immersion for sure.

They’ll probably release more and I haven’t listened to all of their albums yet but I’ll throw Moonsorrow in there too, since their most recent one is so amazing and they’ve been around for a while.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline Blind_FaithX

• I love music
« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2022, 08:58:02 PM »
Insomnium- Heart like a grave
Soen-Imperial
Countless skies-Glow
Clouds- Despartire
Sleep token- this place will become your tomb
Mystery-Lies and butterflies

Just realized this thread was for bands that were no longer active. Sorry!
« Last Edit: July 06, 2022, 09:05:16 PM by Blind_FaithX »
Funny how everything was Roses
When we held on to the Guns
Just because you're winnin'
Don't mean you're the lucky one

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #26 on: July 07, 2022, 04:07:03 AM »
David Bowie - Blackstar

Surely someone will agree but I'm sure real fans will curse me for this.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #27 on: July 07, 2022, 10:02:52 AM »
I think Dead Again by Type O Negative is a flawless masterpiece.

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #28 on: July 07, 2022, 10:52:55 AM »
David Bowie - Blackstar

Surely someone will agree but I'm sure real fans will curse me for this.
Came here looking for this. Although I've grown to love some of his older records, Blackstar is just amazing to me.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #29 on: July 07, 2022, 11:03:46 AM »
Abbey Road - The Beatles

I agree with this.

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #30 on: July 07, 2022, 06:23:00 PM »
Burst - Lazarus Bird

This is such a cool thread idea.

RE: Saigon Kick: the band had a fifth and final album entitled 'Bastards.' That said, 'Devil in the Details' is their high water mark IMO and is a lost gem from the mid '90s.

Offline WardySI

« Reply #31 on: July 07, 2022, 07:54:52 PM »
Burst - Lazarus Bird

This is such a cool thread idea.

RE: Saigon Kick: the band had a fifth and final album entitled 'Bastards.' That said, 'Devil in the Details' is their high water mark IMO and is a lost gem from the mid '90s.

Yep beat me to it and spot on WilliamMunny!

Bastards was like an attempt to move into 90's pop or something, average and a real disappointment but agree Devil In The Details was indeed SK peaking again.  Alongside their usual heavy and roll for anyone who's not heard it check out the beautiful Spanish Rain from that album, incredible stuff!

Offline faizoff

« Reply #32 on: July 07, 2022, 09:26:48 PM »
Interesting about Saigon Kick, I sorta stop following them after The Water. I'll have to check out those albums. For me, The Lizard was always their highlight. The Water also was very interesting and experimental.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #33 on: July 07, 2022, 10:51:41 PM »
Slipknot - We Are Not Your Kind.

Insomnium- Heart like a grave

Agree.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2022, 11:05:52 PM by wolfking »
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #34 on: July 07, 2022, 11:06:16 PM »
Just realized this thread was for bands that were no longer active. Sorry!

Oh shit.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.