Author Topic: The Official Blaze Bayley Thread  (Read 2498 times)

Offline Mladen

The Official Blaze Bayley Thread
« on: June 30, 2022, 07:18:38 AM »
Since the Iron Maiden thread very often turns into a discussion of Blaze Bayley's solo albums, I figured the man deserves his own thread. So, here's a place to discuss his solo career, as well as maybe his days in Wolfsbane. Of course, we may discuss his work in Iron Maiden, but that's what the Iron Maiden thread is for as well.

For starters, how about kicking things off with ranking his solo albums? I'll break the ice:

Promise and terror
Silicon messiah
The Man who would not die
Blood and belief
Infinite entanglement
Endure and survive: Infinite entanglement III
The Tenth dimension
War within me
The Redemption of William Black: Infinite entanglement III
The King of metal

The top four are all five out of five, while the ones near the bottom I'm not too crazy about.

Offline MirrorMask

Re: The Official Blaze Bayley Thread
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2022, 07:40:46 AM »
I must confess I lost track of him after King of Metal.

The third three albums came out as "Blaze", or stylized "B L A Z E", and they're absolutely great. Silcion Messiah and The Tenth Dimensions are both classics, and Blood of Belief was defined as "criminally underrated" in the Maiden thread... I agree, it's dark and raw and not as classic-sounding like the first two, but it's one of those personal and visceral albums that you have to be in the mood for.

After that, I have to say I remember only the tracks rather than the full albums. The Man who Would Not Die has two of his very best songs ever, the title track (love the ferocious lyrics) and Smile Back at Death; don't remember much about Promise and Terror and from King of Metal I remember the weird production with some gems here and there, as Judge Me for example.

Guess I'll have to catch up with him sometime in the future.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Shalev Amir

• Shmoolikipod
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2022, 10:23:33 AM »
I'm a big fan of his solo stuff. My Spotify Wrapped in 2019 is like 33% Blaze :P

Been a while since I listened to some of those, but I'm feeling:

1. Tenth Dimension
2. Blood & Belief
3. Endure and Survive
4. The Man Who Would Not Die
5. Infinite Entanglement
6. Promise and Terror
7. Silicon Messiah
8. The Redemption of William Black
9. War Within Me
10. The King of Metal

I only don't like WWM and TKOM. Tenth Dimension at 1 is kind of an auto-slot, it's been there for so long. The others are pretty much interchangeable, I love them all.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2022, 04:32:35 PM »
Let's see;

The Man Who Would Not Die
Sillicon Messiah
Blood and Belief
Tenth Dimension
Promise and Terror
War Within Me
The King of Metal
Trilogy

Something about the Trilogy I didn't take to at all.  I should revisit them but all three were a low point for me.  King of Metal has a certain charm if you ask me.  Not the greatest but some interesting stuff.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline WardySI

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2022, 06:33:38 PM »
I thought the trilogy was quite strong material wise but lacked in production, some may disagree but considering the concept was quite epic the records needed to sound that way too although I get it was done on a budget (which explains the terrible videos for those too, should've avoided those and gone with lyric vids IMO)...

Still overall the trilogy was a tremendous return and set him on course for War Within (little surprised after your top choices you didn't rate War Within a little higher Shalev? :-\)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2022, 08:04:18 PM »
Yes, the production on those trilogy albums was absolutely terrible.  Certainly didn't do it any favours.

Offline Shalev Amir

• Shmoolikipod
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2022, 11:00:05 PM »

Still overall the trilogy was a tremendous return and set him on course for War Within (little surprised after your top choices you didn't rate War Within a little higher Shalev? :-\)
I'm interested, why do you think WWM is similar to my top choices?

It's more power metal than the others, and I don't like the feel-good lyrics at all. It's less my style.
Then there's Witches Night, ruined by the start and stop guitars in the chorus. Really jarring. Some songs have autotune(?) on Blaze and it sounds bad. The title track comes to mind. Just little stuff that bring it down.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2022, 02:33:41 AM by Shalev Amir »

Offline Mladen

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2022, 01:11:02 AM »
Yes, the production on those trilogy albums was absolutely terrible.  Certainly didn't do it any favours.
As much as I love the songs, I don't like the production on the first part of the trilogy, but Endure and survive was an improvement in that department. The third part of the trilogy had neither the songs nor the production, though.

Offline WardySI

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2022, 02:42:29 AM »

It's more power metal than the others, and I don't like the feel-good lyrics at all. It's less my style.
Then there's Witches Night, ruined by the start and  bystop guitars in the chorus. Really jarring. Some songs have autotune(?) on Blaze and it sounds bad. The title track comes to mind. Just little stuff that bring it down.

Fair enough.  So far as your question goes I just remember getting the vibe that most folks liking War Within seemed it was some of his best material and not unlike Tenth Dimension, certainly a few of us my end of the world thought so and I noted you rated that one pretty highly but that's like, a few of us at best LOL...

Thinking about it yeah I can see the powermetal comparison you make particularly the 3 song finale, although I think there's some decent balance and could've seen 18 Flights fitting on Tenth Dimension or Silicon and Pull Yourself Up might've fit on Blood and Belief perhaps?  For my ears anyway ;)

Didn't really hear the auto-tune thing but I often don't these ears aren't what they used to be but I was certainly impressed with the improvement in production and killer artwork overall presentation.  Anyway all that said considering Witches Night was my favorite off the album particularly for the stop start riffing during the chorus we clearly different pages with this one :D

Tempted to grab his recent Tenth Dimension LP pressing though, that looks awesome!

Offline Shalev Amir

• Shmoolikipod
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2022, 05:10:48 AM »

Then there's Witches Night, ruined by the start and  bystop guitars in the chorus. Really jarring. Some songs have autotune(?) on Blaze and it sounds bad. The title track comes to mind. Just little stuff that bring it down.
Thinking about it yeah I can see the powermetal comparison you make particularly the 3 song finale, although I think there's some decent balance and could've seen 18 Flights fitting on Tenth Dimension or Silicon and Pull Yourself Up might've fit on Blood and Belief perhaps?  For my ears anyway ;)

I think 18 Flights and Pull Yourself Up were my favourites from the album! As I said, I don't think they'd fit in the early albums because they're just so much more uplifting. Actually, maybe yes on Silicon Messiah because it had songs like Born as a Stranger, The Brave, The Launch...

Agree on the artwork, I loved the trilogy's artworks and WWM also has this sci-fi feel. Don't know if I agree on the production. I'll have to hear the IE trilogy again because I don't remember the production being that bad there...

Offline Shalev Amir

• Shmoolikipod
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2022, 10:09:18 AM »
Wow, only today I saw the binary on the Tenth Dimension art. I always thought it looked blurry and now I know why...

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2022, 04:04:03 PM »

I think 18 Flights and Pull Yourself Up were my favourites from the album! As I said, I don't think they'd fit in the early albums because they're just so much more uplifting. Actually, maybe yes on Silicon Messiah because it had songs like Born as a Stranger, The Brave, The Launch...

Agree on the artwork, I loved the trilogy's artworks and WWM also has this sci-fi feel. Don't know if I agree on the production. I'll have to hear the IE trilogy again because I don't remember the production being that bad there...

I thought the Stephen Hawking song was amazing!

Online MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2023, 11:25:18 AM »
Blaze Bayley to Release New Studio Album in 2024 – Interview Reveals Exciting Plans
https://lotsofmuzik.com/blaze-bayley-to-release-new-studio-album-in-2024-interview-reveals-exciting-plans/

Offline WardySI

« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2023, 05:31:01 PM »
Wow he's not mucking around then is he?  Good for him and will be interesting to see which direction he takes his new music.  Looking forward to it :metal

Offline Qrusher14242

« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2023, 11:42:36 PM »
I remember buying Tenth Dimension at Tower Records years ago, and played the hell out of that CD. I haven't listened to much after 'The Man Who Would Not Die'. I have most of the albums afterwards, but haven't listened to them much.

1. Tenth Dimension
2. Silicon Messiah
3. The Man Who Would Not Die
4. Blood & Belief
5. Infinite Intanglement
6. Promise and Terror
7. The King of Metal

I need to go back and listen to more of his later solo cds. Tenth Dimension/Silicon Messiah are both just so good. Just amazing albums. I'm glad to see he's better and going to release a new cd.

Offline WardySI

« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2023, 08:41:56 PM »
Can't recommend enough you dig into his last album War Within Me which for my ears nods back to lots of his early albums.

Personally Silicon Messiah is my go-to Blaze and Tenth Dimension a close 2nd but again am drawn to War Within Me for those comparisons which I'd now rate in his Top3.

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2024, 09:07:26 AM »
New album announced "Circle of Stone" coming out February 23rd
https://blabbermouth.net/news/blaze-bayley-announces-circle-of-stone-album-shares-title-track

First single Circle of Stone (Feat. Niklas Stalvind from the band Wolf)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TEJJSeQm49c

Sounds solid as usual. Blaze looks great and sounds as powerful as ever.

Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2024, 09:28:38 AM »
Love this part of the article:

"The thing I feel most lucky about is the incredible support I've had from my fans," he told BLABBERMOUTH.NET. "All over the world. My WOLFSBANE, Blaze Bayley, the MAIDEN fans. Everybody bought a t-shirt for a tour that was postponed. They still bought it to support me. I'm just incredibly lucky. And the letters people wrote to me. Hundreds of cards from all over the place. It's very humbling."

Blaze continued: "I've always put my whole life into music. It is my life. When people get in touch with you and say, 'I wish you well because your music has gotten me through tough times,' 'Your music meant this to me,' 'I first saw you way back when and it's been the soundtrack to my life,' it's incredible. I got a massive card from the MAIDEN fan club. The [MAIDEN] guys all sent me a message. I'm always in touch with Steve Harris [MAIDEN bassist] anyway, but everyone sent messages of support."

beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2024, 09:32:01 AM »
I think the new song is pretty lifeless - I miss the big crunch that the guitars had on his first couple of records.  It's great to see Luke Appleton in the video though.  I'm glad that he found a home in Blaze's band.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2024, 02:14:01 PM »
The vocal intro gave me goosebumps. I'm a hell yes on this album!!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2024, 04:23:02 PM »
The release got me in a Blaze mood and watching some videos from the Infinite Entanglement albums really shows how much weight he's dropped. I hope he can keep it off because he looks great and I know it's hard to tell from a studio recording but his voice sounds a bit stronger than it has the past couple years.

Only solo album of his I haven't really cared for is The King of Metal so I'm looking forward to the new one.
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2024, 04:32:22 PM »
Hmmm....sounded decent enough.  None of the melodies really grabbed me though.  Needs another listen.  Sounds like a great follow up to the last excellent album though.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2024, 04:35:22 PM »
The release got me in a Blaze mood and watching some videos from the Infinite Entanglement albums really shows how much weight he's dropped. I hope he can keep it off because he looks great and I know it's hard to tell from a studio recording but his voice sounds a bit stronger than it has the past couple years.

Only solo album of his I haven't really cared for is The King of Metal so I'm looking forward to the new one.

I have nothing but respect for this guy, have always loved him and been happy to follow him since the start of his solo career.  It's also so good to see that he had a medical issue that was almost life-threatening yet he's taken that chance and really started looking after himself again and got himself in a more healthier state, mad respect there.  Takes nothing for granted. 

I didn't mind TKOM, just because it was so different but that's me.  To be honest though, that IE trilogy didn't do a lot for me.  The last album was a MAJOR bounce back for me.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2024, 02:12:24 AM »
The song didn't really grab me, I feel like War within me was a much more powerful single. But who knows, the rest of the album War within me was underwhelming compared to the single, the situation might be reversed this time around.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2024, 02:56:35 AM »
Yeah, this doesn't feel like a single to me.

The song didn't really grab me, I feel like War within me was a much more powerful single. But who knows, the rest of the album War within me was underwhelming compared to the single, the situation might be reversed this time around.

I thought it was strong across the board.  I wouldn't even call the title track the best one.

Offline WardySI

« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2024, 03:54:36 AM »
Yeah, this doesn't feel like a single to me.

I thought it was strong across the board.  I wouldn't even call the title track the best one.

Yep, not hearing a single but something more in line with the trilogy?  That said agree the vocals into those opening guitars is sweet maybe needed more of a chorus but a couple spins in and digging it more.

War Within Me was a good title-track but count me in liking many of the album tracks better and think 18 Flights was the first single and it's still spot in  :metal

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2024, 03:59:54 AM »
My favs are Pull Yourself Up and the Stephen Hawkings song.

Online MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2024, 03:33:16 PM »
Is there anyone here who could review the new album by Blaze that comes out on next Friday?

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2024, 08:07:47 AM »
I did an interview with Blaze about the new album. Check it out below:

https://youtu.be/NwhFfGvQNxI?si=RHacm5-eo43AAPB6

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2024, 08:12:14 AM »
Since the Iron Maiden thread very often turns into a discussion of Blaze Bayley's solo albums, I figured the man deserves his own thread. So, here's a place to discuss his solo career, as well as maybe his days in Wolfsbane. Of course, we may discuss his work in Iron Maiden, but that's what the Iron Maiden thread is for as well.

No interest in this thread, other than to find out the "Why?" to the bolded part above.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #30 on: February 20, 2024, 08:44:23 AM »
It's probably because the Blaze Bayley era is so controversial and strange when you look at the entire Iron Maiden career, that it gets a lot of scrutiny. It often happens that discussions about The X Factor and Virtual XI turn into discussion of Silicon messiah, for example. So I guess the guy deserves his own thread.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #31 on: March 01, 2024, 05:27:12 AM »
The new album is fine. It's less derivative than War within me and actually goes for something more ambitious. Ironically enough, the highlights are probably the tracks that are the most direct.  :lol I enjoyed The Year beyond this year and Mind reader, as well as The Broken man. The second half is pleasant to listen to, although not necessarily filled by the highlights.

The biggest issue with the album is that there are half a dozen albums in Blaze's catalogue that I'd rather listen to than Circle of stone. If you take the catchiest tunes on Silicon messiah, The Man who would not die, or even Infinite entanglement, the best tracks on this release pale in comparison. But still, it's a solid release, and it's nice to see Blaze is still out there doing his thing.

Offline WardySI

« Reply #32 on: March 03, 2024, 02:02:48 AM »
Hmmm interesting.

Personally finding this a much more complete listen than the likes of The Man Who WND.  Even though  love those mid-era releases, (albeit still feel let down by King Of Metal :lol), this later stuff is bang on IMO.  That said really hope Blaze digs deeper subject wise for his next album particularly after his health scare because Promise & Terror proved he can certainly deliver such an album \m/

Anyway I loved and still love War Within Me.  It's probably my favourite of his since Tenth Dimension. 

Played War Within again today just to compare with Circle Of Stone, and tbh I'm not sure yet which is the better of the two.  Yes, aside from inferior production and cover art (albeit warming more to it) I do think Circle Of Stone is not only up to War Within, but potentially the better album.

Huge rewards with repeat listens this one  :metal
« Last Edit: March 03, 2024, 02:09:05 AM by WardySI »

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #33 on: March 05, 2024, 02:51:55 AM »
New album is excellent.  Really liking it.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #34 on: March 18, 2024, 08:57:17 PM »
I can't believe how good Blaze sounds on this album. His vocals and performance (and the song) on Broken Man are just excellent.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history