Author Topic: Puppies (Re)Discovery EP Roulette V.4 (The Final Art!)  (Read 78858 times)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Puppies (Re)Discovery EP Roulette V.4 (Round 3 Result 8)
« Reply #1540 on: August 10, 2022, 10:25:45 PM »
Is that just another Spotify?

I mean, I need an account? I load my music files to it? I got tired just looking at it.
It's mainly for people that already have a large digital music collection. So instead of you streaming music from a music service, you store your own files and stream them from your own server. And you can stream everything in CD quality or even higher if the files you have are higher quality.

Can't I just play them from my computer or load them on my phone?
Sure.

I mean, that's what I do now, but I'll check out that link later out of interest.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1541 on: August 10, 2022, 10:29:21 PM »
I’m not sure I can handle all of that.  :lol

I am way too old.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #1542 on: August 10, 2022, 10:59:00 PM »

I mean, I need an account? I load my music files to it? I got tired just looking at it.
It's mainly for people that already have a large digital music collection. So instead of you streaming music from a music service, you store your own files and stream them from your own server. And you can stream everything in CD quality or even higher if the files you have are higher quality.

Sure.

I mean, that's what I do now, but I'll check out that link later out of interest.
It's convenient for me because I have over 9000 CDs that I have ripped to my Plex server and I can listen to them anywhere on my phone without having to store the music on my phone. Or on any other device, as long as I have an internet connection.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
My last.fm | My Rate Your Music Page
Quote from: Podaar
King's Photoshop powers are akin to a three year old cutting faces out of photographs with the edge of a dull spoon and pasting them in place with garden shovel full of Gorilla Glue.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1543 on: August 11, 2022, 12:05:17 AM »

Sure.

It's convenient for me because I have over 9000 CDs that I have ripped to my Plex server and I can listen to them anywhere on my phone without having to store the music on my phone. Or on any other device, as long as I have an internet connection.

Jesus, I thought I had a big collection.  You have 9000 CD's?

It does sound handy for large collections.

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #1544 on: August 11, 2022, 12:33:56 AM »

Sure.

:lol I couldn't believe it either, but I've been collecting CDs for almost 30 years now and when I started loading them into Plex I couldn't believe how many albums it said I had. This is why they are almost all in storage now. I have no idea where I'd put them all in my house. I'll be honest about 500-600 of them are my wife's that I commandeered when we got married  :biggrin:
aka Puppies_On_Acid
King's Photoshop powers are akin to a three year old cutting faces out of photographs with the edge of a dull spoon and pasting them in place with garden shovel full of Gorilla Glue.

Online Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Re: Puppies (Re)Discovery EP Roulette V.4 (Round 3 Result 9)
« Reply #1545 on: August 11, 2022, 01:29:22 AM »
Did you posting the result for my EP cause the hour-long forum crash? :(

"Round 3 Result 9" yet nothing to be seen :(
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #1546 on: August 11, 2022, 01:33:31 AM »
Did you posting the result for my EP cause the hour-long forum crash? :(

"Round 3 Result 9" yet nothing to be seen :(
I think so, cause as soon as I went to post it the forum went down  :lol
aka Puppies_On_Acid

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #1547 on: August 11, 2022, 01:34:53 AM »

Elite - The Marriage of Fate's Dying Echoes

1. Symphony X - Communion and the Oracle
 2. Ulver - Plates 21-22
 3. Strawbs - The Hangman and the Papist
 4. Ulver – Ord
 5. UneXpect – Words
 6. Schizoid Lloyd - Suicide Penguin
 7. Charlie Griffiths - Crawl Walk Run
 8. Ulver - Echo Chamber (Room of Tears)
 9. Ulver - A Capella (Sielens Sang)

First Impression - This probably contains the most unexpected song I've received so far this roulette

Alrighty, starting off with Symphony X. This is the 2nd Symphony X song I've received so far in the roulette, not that I'm complaining. I love Symphony X. Communion and the Oracle is classic Symphony X. I can always tell it's Symphony X just by Michael Romeo's guitar tone and playstyle and Jason Rullo's drumming. I wonder how many times I can say Symphony X in this write up :neverusethis: Anyway this song has a great mellow buildup with always great keyboards that aren't too in your face. They take on this very twinkly and ethereal piano tone, which I really like. And of course this was back when Russell Allen still liked to actually sing....Anyway, not my favorite Symphony X (I said the name again!) song, but still a great one. Next we have Plates 21-22 from Ulver. I love Ulver and their William Blake album is one of my favorites. It's such a different album with many sides and little things to unravel. This song is one of the more "rockin" songs on the album and is one of my favorites from the album. Next we come to a band I never expected someone to send me, Strawbs. I was unaware anyone on this forum even listened to them :lol So The Hangman and the Papist is an interesting pick. It's basically just straight up '70s style folk music. There are touches of psychedelic prog music influence, especially with the organ and mellotron usage. And fun fact, it's Rick Wakeman on the organ and mellotron. Interesting song, if not completely captivating for me. We are going to skip right over Ord, since it's being used as a segue here. Therefore we lead right into Words. This is from one of my favorite albums of 2011 and I have not listened to it in a while. I think I will need to remedy that. Anyway, like the rest of this album this song is complex, technical, and intense with just a hint of crazy (ok, who are we kidding, a lot of crazy!). I also love the plethora of vocals styles used here. It's songs like this that make me wish the band never broke up. So, I almost thought about rejecting this submission based on you sending me Suicide Penguin again. You sent this to me in my first roulette. However, I couldn't remember it at all, so I let it slide. Funny thing is, I wrote down some thoughts on the song each time I listened to it in this EP and then compared it with my notes from my first roulette and they were nearly identical :lol So, the song maintains the quirkiness from the Unexpect song, but not the intensity and it's by far not as interesting or fun. Same with the various vocal styles, they are there, just not as well executed. Plus the way this song changes is.....kind of abrupt and not smooth at all. Anyway, there are aspects I like and some I don't. Moving on, I had no idea that Charlie Griffiths had a solo project. I like this song Crawl Walk Run, even though it's fairly well planted in the typical Progressive Djenty metal. Plus Darby Todd shows up here on drums! I've been wanting to find more stuff with him on drums as I was impressed with his live drums with Devin Townsend. Charlie's vocals sound a bit like something you would here in a Mastodon song at times. Interesting. Also his guitar playing is obviously good. Lastly we cap this EP off with a couple of Ulver tracks, one song proper and then ending with an outro track. Echo Chamber is a track from an EP I have not heard before, but it sounds like it could be a B-side from The Assassination of Julius Caesar sessions. I like it a lot. Just another song that proves Ulver could write any kind of music they want to. Anyway ending this with the A Capella chanting song actually really works for me.
Song Score - 8.1/10

I like the grand premise of the story here, if not the actual execution of said story. The idea of Fate being a person of sorts and made the universe and then essentially spawning good and evil. And then we have the classic good vs evil story, although with a bit of a twist. I think if you had a bit more time (probably a lot more time, knowing how long it takes to develop a convincing story world) you could have come up with a bit more detail on the logistics of how the world operates. I do like the ambition of the story though and it could be turned into a captivating story, given time. All the songs work well with the story, as told, but I think the only other complaint I have is similar to the issue I had with Cyril's story this round. I think this one lacks that emotional quality that your previous EPs had.
Story Score - 7.8/10 +1 for bonus theme

I think the flow here suffered a bit more than your previous EPs as well. I think this may have been due to time constraints. I know you were out of town and didn't have much time to put this together. The first transition between the Symphony X song and Plates was a bit abrupt, as was the following transition into the Strawbs song. Then the crossface between Crawl Walk Run into Echo Chamber was a little....eehhh... Then there's the probably with stylistic whiplash. Even more so than your last EP. That one I understood the purpose, this one is just a little too far on the style change scale.
Flow Score - 7/10

Overall Score - 23.9/30

Standings
Cyril - 27.7, 29.8, 26.4 (83.9)
Ariich - 27.5, 27.1, 28.6 (83.2)
TAC - 24, 25.75, 26.7 (76.45)
Elite - 25.4, 27, 23.9 (76.3)
Jingle - 21.9, 25.5, 27.9 (75.3)
Wolfking - 25.3, 24.8, 23.3 (73.4)
Deadeye - 21.7, 23.1, 21.4 (66.2)
Vmadera - 21.4, 19.9, 24.7 (66)
Kingshmegland - 23.6, 16.9, 25.5 (66)
Stadler - 19.8, Ragequit :neverusethis:

« Last Edit: August 13, 2022, 10:35:44 AM by Puppies_On_Acid »
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Online Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #1548 on: August 11, 2022, 01:50:56 AM »
Thanks for the write-up! Fun fact that happened to line up: 'Ord' means 'Words', which is the next song. And did you catch all references to God and creation in all the lyrics? I'm pretty sure there's a good story in there somewhere!  Glad you enjoyed it and I agree it may have been better if fleshed out a little more. It doesn't really surprise me that I sent Suicide Penguin before, but I should have checked to make sure, because looking at your scores for the songs that one is responsible for pretty much the song score part of the EP :lol (actually if I do an average of the tracks without ranking Ord, I get 8.25 instead of 8.1 :neverusethis:).

The Charlie Griffiths album is actually really enjoyable, so definitely give that a listen. He uses a lot of guest vocalists, it's not actually Charlie himself singing on that track (although he does sing on one of them). Echo Chamber is indeed from an EP made after The Assassination... so it's in the same vein as that album. I think I agree on the flow as well. You can only do so much when mixing different styles. For some reason jazz and black/death metal works better than mixing avant-garde metal with folk/prog and synthpop.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #1549 on: August 11, 2022, 02:28:09 AM »
i will casually point out that Elite's score should be 23.9, not 23.8  :corn

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1550 on: August 11, 2022, 02:32:30 AM »
ELITE WON. BY A LOT.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #1551 on: August 11, 2022, 02:33:26 AM »
but I should have checked to make sure, because looking at your scores for the songs that one is responsible for pretty much the song score part of the EP :lol (actually if I do an average of the tracks without ranking Ord, I get 8.25 instead of 8.1 :neverusethis:).

What song scores? :neverusethis:

Whoopsie, I'll fix it in the morning. Sleepy time now...
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1552 on: August 11, 2022, 06:19:40 AM »
Cool, I'll take that score  :metal
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1553 on: August 11, 2022, 09:02:15 AM »
So… not counting Ariich and Cyril..I’m in the lead!!! :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1554 on: August 11, 2022, 09:31:16 AM »

Not counting non-Canadians, I'm in the lead!
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #1555 on: August 11, 2022, 09:41:39 AM »
I’m second place for people called Richard!
Squ

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1556 on: August 11, 2022, 09:41:55 AM »

I’m part Canadian so  :P

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1557 on: August 11, 2022, 11:50:39 AM »

Just like Elizabeth Warren is part Indigenous?
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1558 on: August 11, 2022, 11:51:53 AM »

He drinks Labatts Blue & Moosehead.   
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #1559 on: August 11, 2022, 11:52:14 AM »
not counting myself, i'm in last place

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1560 on: August 11, 2022, 11:58:58 AM »

Hah, funny you say that. Yes, my grandfather was French Canadian with native blood.

He drinks Labatts Blue & Moosehead.   

Well, I definitely drink Moosehead...and Molson, but definitely not Labatts, which is Canadian for Budweiser.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1561 on: August 11, 2022, 12:06:48 PM »

Hah, funny you say that. Yes, my grandfather was French Canadian with native blood.

Well then ... 1/32nd of your points can be considered  "Canadian".

Well, I definitely drink Moosehead...and Molson, but definitely not Labatts, which is Canadian for Budweiser.

That's true.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1562 on: August 11, 2022, 12:18:47 PM »
The Canadian version of Labatts Blue 6.1%.  Makes Budweiser look like a pussy.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1563 on: August 11, 2022, 04:09:26 PM »

Sure.

:lol I couldn't believe it either, but I've been collecting CDs for almost 30 years now and when I started loading them into Plex I couldn't believe how many albums it said I had. This is why they are almost all in storage now. I have no idea where I'd put them all in my house. I'll be honest about 500-600 of them are my wife's that I commandeered when we got married  :biggrin:

Wow, that's quite incredible.  WTF are you doing a roulette for?!   ;D :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1564 on: August 11, 2022, 04:17:28 PM »
  WTF are you doing a roulette for?!   ;D :lol

Stories and flow!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1565 on: August 11, 2022, 04:27:51 PM »

Stories and flow!

Touche!

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #1566 on: August 11, 2022, 07:35:14 PM »

Stories and flow!
Yeah pretty much  :lol

So is everyone going to have their round 4 stuff in by Saturday? Or Sunday?
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1567 on: August 11, 2022, 07:36:43 PM »
Are you done scoring Round 3 yet? :lol

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #1568 on: August 11, 2022, 07:41:24 PM »
Are you done scoring Round 3 yet? :lol
Yep :splodearms:
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1569 on: August 11, 2022, 07:49:11 PM »
Takes a week to post results

Asks for next submission in 2 days.

:P ;D

Ima gonna have one more listen thru, but I’m 99% certain mines ready to go.

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #1570 on: August 11, 2022, 07:54:29 PM »
Takes a week to post results

Asks for next submission in 2 days.

:P ;D

Ima gonna have one more listen thru, but I’m 99% certain mines ready to go.
:hefnotoad:
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1571 on: August 11, 2022, 08:01:16 PM »
Well, you already have mine. It's a tearjerker for sure. Quite personal.

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #1572 on: August 11, 2022, 08:05:48 PM »
Yeah, it's been equally tough coming up with album art than is just as emotional.
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1573 on: August 11, 2022, 08:07:53 PM »
Yeah, it's been equally tough coming up with album art than is just as emotional.

I know. I'm pretty good at coming up with my own, but even I struggled on what I wanted it to convey.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1574 on: August 11, 2022, 08:09:47 PM »
Tim, I can only imagine since I know from what you told me. I bet it will hit hard.

I hope mine comes as close as his story.