Author Topic: Puppies (Re)Discovery EP Roulette V.4 (The Final Art!)  (Read 79865 times)

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Re: Puppies (Re)Discovery EP Roulette V.4 (Round 3 Result 4)
« Reply #1505 on: August 09, 2022, 05:11:06 AM »
Sorry/Not sorry for re-sending Mystery.  Shadow of the Lake is something I've used repeatedly, but in the context of this story, How Do You Feel? is/was actually the cornerstone song of this EP - the song is written specifically for a friend of the band that was sick (unsure if it was cancer though).  Remembering their 'dedication' of it when they played it at ProgStock a few years back, it always makes me remember of this person (the wife of my best friend from high school) that went thru cancer, and as such I had to re-use them.

And yes, In The Hands of Time is god-tier for me, and a top-5 of all-time guitar solo.  Schon is just so good on that album (ironically, it was the same best friend from high school that introduced me to Hardline).  It was the climactic track here, but (and I seemed to recall you being partial to Mac) I thought Time Drops would be a fitting conclusion (and setup/transition to Part 2).

Anyway... all around, I'm very pleased this clicked with you. 
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Re: Puppies (Re)Discovery EP Roulette V.4 (Round 3 Result 4)
« Reply #1506 on: August 09, 2022, 06:30:06 AM »
You know, I’ve got a good memory, it just isn’t very long

:lol

Umm.....I'm not sure this qualifies as having a good memory Chad.
:lol

He's really amazing at remembering things that just happened.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
Re: Puppies (Re)Discovery EP Roulette V.4 (Round 3 Result 5)
« Reply #1507 on: August 09, 2022, 07:12:58 PM »

Kingshmegland - There Are No Gods Among Us

Blue Murder - Valley of the Kings
Bruce Soord - Frozen North
Pagan's Mind - Approaching
Pagan's Mind - Through Osiris' Eyes
Ancestors - On the Wind
Circus Maximus - The Weight

First Impression - This starts off way better than it ends

Starting this off with Valley of the Kings is one hell of a way to start an EP. Here's another band that I apparently need to look into. Now, parts of this song sound a lot like Whitesnake's Still of the Night. This isn't a bad thing, because Still of the Night is awesome and it's probably because this has John Sykes on guitar as well and he apparently only uses 1 guitar tone. Especially in the guitar solo and oh, that keyboard melody during the solo is almost identical to Still of the Night. I'm not completely convinced by his vocals though. They're just OK. On the other hand, Tony Franklin and Carmine Appice kill it on bass and drums. Frozen North is a polarizing song for me. I guess it's a collaboration between Bruce Soord and Jonas Renske. I like both of them in their respective bands and I think it's an interesting take having Bruce's songwriting behind Jonas' vocals, but unfortunately it doesn't really grab me too much. Also as an interesting side note, in Bruce's main band, Pineapple Thief, their bass player's name is Jon Sykes :neverusethis: Now the two Pagan's Mind songs are great. I really like this band, but I just don't listen to them enough. I always forget how good they are. Approaching works as a nice segue with some great riffs and then Through Osiris' Eyes hits you in the face with some tasty Power/Prog. I really like Nils vocals and I'm just now realizing he was the vocalist on one of the Eidolon songs that Wolfking sent in the first round. I don't know how I didn't put that together. His voice is very reminiscent of peak Edu Falaschi. The band has a great sense of melody and it's used to great effect throughout the song. Next up is On the Wind by Ancestors. I've always been a fan of their albums Suspended in Reflections and Of Sound Mind, but never really connected with the album this song is from very well. The song is alright, but is just kind of flat throughout and is probably about 2-3 minutes too long. It just doesn't do nearly enough to justify 9 minutes. Anyway, moving on the The Weight, which might be the best song on side A of Havoc. Not my favorite Circus Maximus album (that would be The 1st Chapter), but it's not far behind. It was definitely better than Isolate and Nine, in my opinion. This song has some nice catchy melodies with more proggy bits. The chorus to this song gets stuck in my head every time I hear it. And that guitar solo is magical. Then Michael just kills it on vocals, like always and Truls is my drumming spirit animal, love his drum style! Great way to end this EP. Also I have no idea what I was talking about in my first impression now  :rollin
Song Score - 8/10

The story here sounds almost exactly like what I want out of a fantasy story, only severely condensed and lacking in details. But that is fine, because this feels almost like the synopsis for a grand and epic tale and something that could easily be expanded into a massive story. I am curious where you came up with the names for the people and places, I'm guessing you just made them up. They sound convincingly named though. The songs mostly fit with the story, the only exception being The Weight. I felt the lyrics to this song had little connection to the story. Other than that I enjoyed it.
Story Score - 8/10 +1 for bonus theme

I gotta hand it to you on the flow here. For just sending me a playlist of songs, this flowed almost too well. I think there was some witchcraft in the song choices here. As I kept listening to this EP and all the others I kept thinking how unfair it would be to give you a great flow score, even though you did nothing :lol Oh well, everyone else is just going to have to suck it up. Granted there are a couple edits that could have been done to make it perfect, in my opinion, but they weren't necessary for my enjoyment.
Flow Score - 8.5/10

Overall Score - 25.5/30
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1508 on: August 09, 2022, 07:17:34 PM »
Nice score, that means it is guarantee I'm taking last place  :metal
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1509 on: August 09, 2022, 07:20:49 PM »
Nice score, that means it is guarantee I'm taking last place  :metal
Hang on let me check..........

Yep :biggrin:

I actually don't know yet :lol
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1510 on: August 09, 2022, 07:40:35 PM »
On Spotify you can set the songs overlapping each other. I do play with when the cut into each other to blend them like a story would.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1511 on: August 09, 2022, 07:56:06 PM »
On Spotify you can set the songs overlapping each other.

Really? How?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1512 on: August 09, 2022, 08:34:01 PM »
On Spotify you can set the songs overlapping each other. I do play with when the cut into each other to blend them like a story would.
Yeah you can have Spotify to a crossfade on playlists. Plexamp does something similar (actually far better than what Spotify does), but it will actually analyze the songs and then crossfade at key points or start the next song on the beat, etc etc.
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1513 on: August 09, 2022, 08:46:02 PM »
WTF is plexamp?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1514 on: August 09, 2022, 09:29:05 PM »
WTF is plexamp?
Music software for listening to music from my Plex server.
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1515 on: August 09, 2022, 09:47:30 PM »
I'm sure Tim would also like to know WTF a plex server is too?
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1516 on: August 09, 2022, 10:25:04 PM »
I don't know, maybe......what I do know is that he and I had this conversation before  :lol
aka Puppies_On_Acid

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1517 on: August 09, 2022, 10:32:11 PM »

Cyril - The Drowned God

1. Dessiderium - Aria
2. Persefone - Spiritual Migration
3. Liturgy - God of Love
4. Aethereus - Upon Infinite Seas

First Impression - I think I'm going to have a hard time getting past one song here...

This first song Aria is a great opener. I here little bits from several different bands in the sound here. A little bit of Gojira, a pinch of Inanimate Existence, a touch of Equipoise, a smattering of Agrypnie, even a bit of Caligula's Horse. And I like it all! There is just so much going on here, at first I thought I was going to have a hard time thoroughly enjoying it, but it finally came around. In fact it fits very well with the next song on this EP stylistically, Spiritual Migration. Now I've always thought that Persefone's best albums were Aathma and Core, but Spiritual Migration isn't far behind. The one thing that always held it back for me is quite prevalent in this song. It has a jerky rhythm that just doesn't always sit right with me. Something about it always seems off. It's kind of djenty, but it's not. And coinciding with that is the vocals at times feel completely disconnected from the song. Most of the song is pretty great though. And kudos to their bass player Toni rockin the '90s Devin Townsend Skullet these days :lol Next we come to the song that out of all the songs this round I wanted to like the most, but man does this song just not connect with me at all. I think Hunter went off the rails with The Ark Work and has been quickly veering further into the weeds since. I don't know, there are parts of this that are brilliant and then parts that are just complete head scratcher. A few times I audibly said, "what the hell is this?" I like the way it starts with the strings, but it quickly becomes a chore to listen to. The vocals have never been great in Liturgy, but here they seem worse than usual. Then there are the constant record-skipping-endlessly parts that I just absolutely hate. The first time I listened to it I thought my computer froze while I was listening to it at one point. Then there are the repeating motifs throughout that go on for faaaar too long. If only someone could reign Hunter in a bit perhaps we will get another good Liturgy album. I don't see that happening any time soon. Upon Infinite Seas, on the other hand, is pretty much brilliant through and through. This band is from my wife's hometown, Tacoma, and fun fact, she went to High School with one of their guitarists, Benjamin Gassman. Anyway, this is basically Technical Death Metal done right, it also has some hints of early Abigail Williams in the sound. In fact, I think this bands vocalist is trying to look a bit like Ken Sorceron, but I digress. This song is great, kind of brings back feelings of hearing The Faceless for the first time. Great tech death with lots of quirkiness and oddities to the genre. Almost like if The Dear Hunter decided to write a Technical Death Metal album. Now there's a thought!
Song Score - 7.5/10

The story here of a man becoming a god out of obsession and then waging war on the other gods in the name of love and then subsequently becoming trapped in a void of his own making, to wander alone forever, feels kind of poetic and almost metaphorical. Like some of the other stories in this round, I could see this being lengthened out into an epic multi-volume story. The songs all really well with the story, both lyrically and musically. I do think it may be lacking the human emotional quality that your last 2 EPs had, but it's still a good story.
Story Score - 8.8/10 +1 for bonus theme

As per usual with your EPs this all flows quite well. I may be nit picking a little by saying the first transition isn't my favorite, even though I can't really say why it just doesn't sounds quite right. Other than that no complaints, but there didn't seem to be any over the top editing, nor was it really needed, with the exception of possibly that first transition :dunno: And sonically everything worked together.
Flow Score - 8.9/10

Overall Score - 26.2/30
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliςujoΰupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #1518 on: August 09, 2022, 10:34:23 PM »
damn, a flop EP :neverusethis:
(liturgy is probably my favorite song on this EP so naturally it's your least favorite)

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1519 on: August 10, 2022, 05:11:41 AM »
King... send me your playlist.  I gots to listen to it now.

Dayum... I beat Cyril this round!

That's right ...*TIM* wants to know.  Smooth.  ;)
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Re: Puppies (Re)Discovery EP Roulette V.4 (Round 3 Result 7)
« Reply #1520 on: August 10, 2022, 05:23:55 AM »
I took the liberty of updating the thread title to reflect the number of results posted. :)

I be am boner inducing.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1521 on: August 10, 2022, 06:27:55 AM »
I took the liberty of updating the thread title to reflect the number of results posted. :)
Ah, thanks. I was looking at that when I woke up thinking, I don't remember updating that.  :lol
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #1522 on: August 10, 2022, 06:37:30 AM »
Mine and Vmadera's left :)
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1523 on: August 10, 2022, 06:57:59 AM »
Ah, thanks. I was looking at that when I woke up thinking, I don't remember updating that.  :lol
My magical superpowers allow me to transform reality.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1524 on: August 10, 2022, 07:02:01 AM »
He saved the best for last right?...right? :corn

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1525 on: August 10, 2022, 07:06:39 AM »

Not necessarily... he saved the last for last.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1526 on: August 10, 2022, 07:30:19 AM »
My magical superpowers allow me to transform reality.

Next theme for your playlist? :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1527 on: August 10, 2022, 07:56:19 AM »

Not necessarily... he saved the last for last.
Oh, I fully expect my score to continue it's downward trajectory  :biggrin: If I score more than 18.4 I will consider that a win

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #1528 on: August 10, 2022, 08:49:15 AM »
For those who want to listen to my EP before results get posted (or afterwards), here it is. It’s a story about the offspring (or two halves, one ‘good’ and one ‘evil’) of Fate, the creator of the universe, battling for control over the world, and both failing since Fate has accidentally relinquished control to chance by sacrificing herself and creating her two halves.

The Marriage of Fate’s Dying Echoes

1. Symphony X - Communion and the Oracle
2. Ulver - Plates 21-22
3. Strawbs - The Hangman and the Papist
4. Ulver - Ord
5. UneXpect - Words
6. Schizoid Lloyd - Suicide Penguin
7. Charlie Griffiths - Crawl Walk Run
8. Ulver - Echo Chamber (Room of Tears)
9. Ulver - A Capella (Sielens Sang)
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1529 on: August 10, 2022, 11:29:31 AM »
Now the two Pagan's Mind songs are great. I really like this band, but I just don't listen to them enough. I always forget how good they are.

Quoted for truth.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1530 on: August 10, 2022, 06:28:38 PM »
Well, it's been a long day. Started work at 5am and got home at 5pm. I'm wiped out....however, I am determined to get those last two results out tonight. So stay tuned! :corn :soon:
aka Puppies_On_Acid

• DTF.org Member
Re: Puppies (Re)Discovery EP Roulette V.4 (Round 3 Result 8)
« Reply #1531 on: August 10, 2022, 09:06:12 PM »

Vmadera - The Undying Solitude of The Hunter

5 Atreyu – When Two Are One (4:41)
8.5 Avenged Sevenfold – A Little Piece of Heaven (8:00)
6.5Mastodon – The Hunter (5:18)
9 Rivers of Nihil – A Home (5:19)
8 Mastodon – Blue Walsh (5:12)
9.5 Rivers of Nihil – Where Owls Know My Name (6:42)

First Impression - This feels really unbalanced stylistically and song quality wise
Best EP title

So there's a reason I never got into Atreyu. Everything I heard by them I disliked. This song is no different. I don't like the vocals and the melodies are bland or basically non existent. I feel like there is more potential but it is never really used to good effect......wasted talent. The coolest part of the song is all within the last 20 seconds....everything leading up to that point was zzzzzzzzzzzzz.........Next we have a great song with A Little Piece of Heaven, a song I'm also very familiar with. This song is always such a trip every time I hear it. I like the way it switches between melody driven almost ballad-like song structure to complete insanity. Plus The Rev absolutely slays it on drums here. Plus all the orchestration works very well here. Then we have some more quality drop off with The Hunter. I basically jumped ship on Mastodon after Crack the Skye. I gave this album a few listens, but it never clicked. I felt like Mastodon took several massive steps back. This song, the title track, is just..........meh.... The one great part is the slow build into that guitar solo at about the midway point. That is sublime. And of course Brann Dailor is always a beast on the drums. Too bad the rest of the band didn't really show up. Next is the first of two Rivers of Nihil songs, A Home. I was sent a song from this album in my first roulette, The Silent Life, which is still easily the best song on the album. This song is pretty great though. I do like their style, I just wish they could be more creative across an entire album. One consistent theme on this EP, at least musically, is the spectacular drumming. This song is no exception. Next up is the second Mastodon song, Blue Walsh. I remember picking up the EP this song is on when it came out and thinking it's the best thing the band had done since Crack the Skye. The melodies and adventurousness that The Hunter was lacking is all here in Blue Walsh. Lastly we have the second Rivers of Nihil song, Where Owls Know My Name. This song is a close second to The Silent Life on its album. A great song with great buildup and payoff! Plus saxophone in metal is always a win in my book :metal
Song Score - 7.7/10

I like the overall story here. I think the finer details could be changed a bit to make the story a little more convincing, in my humble opinion. For example, I feel like the protagonists, if they can be called that, need a better reason for worldwide genocide. That part seemed a little contrived and hard to believe. The rest of the story felt pretty good although it's all kinds of depressing ;) The songs all do a pretty good job of telling the story through each songs respective lyrics. Especially A Little Piece of Heaven and Where Owls Know My Name.
Story Score - 7/10 +1 for bonus theme and +1 for Best EP title

Flow-wise this all works really well. Especially for you only sending me a playlist. Now it isn't perfect, mind you, and it you didn't luck out quite as well as Kingshmegland did with his playlist. It could use some editing here and there to make it better, but nothing stood out as bad.
Flow Score - 8/10

Overall Score - 24.7/30
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1532 on: August 10, 2022, 09:08:51 PM »

Yeah, you might say I'm per-plexed.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1533 on: August 10, 2022, 09:14:43 PM »

Yeah, you might say I'm per-plexed.
https://www.plex.tv/your-media/music/
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1534 on: August 10, 2022, 09:16:48 PM »
Is that just another Spotify?

I mean, I need an account? I load my music files to it? I got tired just looking at it.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1535 on: August 10, 2022, 09:28:45 PM »

I mean, I need an account? I load my music files to it? I got tired just looking at it.
It's mainly for people that already have a large digital music collection. So instead of you streaming music from a music service, you store your own files and stream them from your own server. And you can stream everything in CD quality or even higher if the files you have are higher quality.
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1536 on: August 10, 2022, 09:34:08 PM »
Wait, how do I get a server? :lol

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1537 on: August 10, 2022, 09:35:07 PM »

It's mainly for people that already have a large digital music collection. So instead of you streaming music from a music service, you store your own files and stream them from your own server. And you can stream everything in CD quality or even higher if the files you have are higher quality.

Can't I just play them from my computer or load them on my phone?
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1538 on: August 10, 2022, 09:58:00 PM »

Can't I just play them from my computer or load them on my phone?
Sure.
aka Puppies_On_Acid

• DTF.org Member
aka Puppies_On_Acid