Author Topic: Puppies (Re)Discovery EP Roulette V.4 (The Final Art!)  (Read 78854 times)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: Puppies (Re)Discovery EP Roulette V.4 (Round 3 Result 2)
« Reply #1470 on: August 07, 2022, 05:34:20 PM »
Hey Pup, where do you stand on Nirvana?
The Hindu/Buddhist state of enlightenment or the band?

:lol

Er...the band.

How about Nirvana with double bass?  :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: Puppies' (Re)Discovery EP Roulette V.4 (Signups Open!)
« Reply #1471 on: August 07, 2022, 05:36:04 PM »
Congrats Ariich!

Well that was a fun roulette.

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: Puppies (Re)Discovery EP Roulette V.4 (Round 3 Result 3)
« Reply #1472 on: August 07, 2022, 05:50:52 PM »
Rich walking around like this right now. 

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #1473 on: August 07, 2022, 05:52:20 PM »
excited to be last again  :corn

Online King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #1474 on: August 07, 2022, 06:01:20 PM »
You actually won't be last this time.....unless you mean last place :biggrin:
aka Puppies_On_Acid
My last.fm | My Rate Your Music Page
Quote from: Podaar
King's Photoshop powers are akin to a three year old cutting faces out of photographs with the edge of a dull spoon and pasting them in place with garden shovel full of Gorilla Glue.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #1475 on: August 07, 2022, 06:05:31 PM »
yeah exactly  :metal

i have no clue how you're ordering these reveals to be fair

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1476 on: August 07, 2022, 06:05:41 PM »
You bastard. :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #1477 on: August 07, 2022, 06:06:59 PM »
yeah exactly  :metal

i have no clue how you're ordering these reveals to be fair
Each round is completely random as far as the revealing of results. Just to keep you all guessing.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
King's Photoshop powers are akin to a three year old cutting faces out of photographs with the edge of a dull spoon and pasting them in place with garden shovel full of Gorilla Glue.

Offline Deadeye21

• 30 years say we’re in this together
« Reply #1478 on: August 07, 2022, 06:33:53 PM »

Surely that’d have to be mine, right?
Let's go with a P for Deadeye has premature alphabetejaculation.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1479 on: August 07, 2022, 06:35:15 PM »

Surely that’d have to be mine, right?

Well, it ain't gonna be Cyril.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1480 on: August 07, 2022, 07:06:47 PM »
Well done Rich.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1481 on: August 07, 2022, 08:24:14 PM »
Sent for round 4.

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
Re: Puppies (Re)Discovery EP Roulette V.4 (Round 3 Result 4)
« Reply #1482 on: August 07, 2022, 08:47:27 PM »

Deadeye - The Unlikely Tale of Fools and Heroes

Edguy - Nobody's Hero
Avenged Sevenfold - Hail to the King
Ayreon - Sail Away to Avalon
Anthrax - Medusa
Alter Bridge - Pawns & Kings
Trivium - The Phalanx
Disturbed - The Brave and the Bold

First Impression - Outside of a couple songs, this was actually more enjoyable than I was anticipating.

Alright, starting off with a band that I’ve seen touted around by various friends for some time, but never really got around to listening to, Edguy. This song Nobody’s Hero, is actually a good bit of fun. I still don’t like Tobias’ vocals much. His vibrato is just plain annoying. It’s the same problem I have with his Avantasia project. Either way, the music here is fun and works well enough that I can mostly overlook the vocals and just enjoy the song for what it is. Next is the first of the two songs I was referring to in my first impression. A7X’s Hail to the King album was a big steaming turd in comparison to the rest of their albums. I believe a lot of the problem with the album and by extension this song is their choice of drummer for the album. I mean if they wanted someone to drum like Meg White, why not just get Meg White. At any rate, I’m fairly confident the drummer holds the band back from writing better songs. I mean how did the band have the audacity to follow up The Rev and Mike Portnoy with this guy? It’s almost insulting….anyway I digress. Also the song is 5 minutes long and feels about 5 minutes too long :neverusethis:  Next up is Sail Away to Avalon and despite Cyril’s comment about the song earlier, I actually really like this song and the album it’s from. I mean, I do find it kind of funny that Arjen got the guy from Golden Earring to do the vocals on this song. His vocals are quite out of place in music like this. The female vocals work much better in this song. Overall it’s an enjoyable song for me….maybe it’s just nostalgia on my part, since when I first heard Ayreon back in 1999 this album and Into the Electric Castle were basically it. I mean, yeah Actual Fantasy was around, but I didn’t listen to it back then. Anyway, moving on to Medusa. I actually like this Anthrax track much better than the one sent in the last round. I even kind of like Joey Belladonna’s vocals here, which is saying something since I mostly don’t like him. I also like the driving rhythm of this song, it’s kind of unique. Next we get to my favorite track on the EP, Pawns & Kings. I’ve always liked Alter Bridge, but I hadn’t listened to this song yet. Probably because it’s only available as a single right now and I don’t really care to listen to singles, but I’m glad you sent it to me and forced me to listen :D Everything enjoyable about this band is still here in this song. I still think the combination of Myles Kennedy and Mark Tremonti is brilliant. They work well together musically/vocally. And oh man does that little instrumental breakdown in the middle hit hard! And of course Tremonti’s great lead work. This track is kind of a roller coaster ride and I love it. The Phalanx is next and from another album that I have, but haven’t gotten around to yet. It sounds like Trivium is back with more great metal though. I mean after a couple of dud albums, Vengeance Falls and Silence in the Snow, I’m glad their 2 albums after were good and this one seems like it’s just as good. I think Matt Heafy has been learning a lot from as many people as possible over the last 5 years or so and really expanding his musical knowledge and it’s really shown lately. Lastly we have the 2nd of the songs referred to in my first impression, The Brave and the Bold, however after multiple listens I’ve actually grown to enjoy the song a fair amount. It isn’t a great song, mind you, but enjoyable. I just wish their vocalist would just stop with the stupid sounds he makes. He just can’t help himself. There’s a reason Down With the Sickness is a meme….
Song Score - 7.4/10

As far as the story goes, I always enjoy a good mythological story. This one being the battle against Medusa works for me. Perhaps a bit light on content and a little bit confusing in parts, I do like the story of a nobody rising up to become the hero. Overall I think it works OK even though some of the lyrics don’t quite fit. Not the best of your EP stories so far.
Story Score - 7/10 +1 for Bonus theme

Now the flow is actually fairly decent being that it’s a Spotify playlist again. It seems you were trying to be careful with the songs to make sure they aren’t too jarring back to back. Having said that, it could use a bit of help with some edits. Like the transition between Hail to the King and Sail Away to Avalon was a little harsh. Same could be said of the transition into Medusa. Just some small tweaks and this EP could have flowed almost perfectly. As it is, it doesn’t.
Flow Score - 6/10

Overall Score - 21.4/30
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline Deadeye21

« Reply #1483 on: August 07, 2022, 09:05:09 PM »

Deadeye - The Unlikely Tale of Fools and Heroes

Edguy - Nobody's Hero
Avenged Sevenfold - Hail to the King
Ayreon - Sail Away to Avalon
Anthrax - Medusa
Alter Bridge - Pawns & Kings
Trivium - The Phalanx
Disturbed - The Brave and the Bold

First Impression - Outside of a couple songs, this was actually more enjoyable than I was anticipating.

A7X’s Hail to the King album was a big steaming turd in comparison to the rest of their albums. I believe a lot of the problem with the album and by extension this song is their choice of drummer for the album. I mean if they wanted someone to drum like Meg White, why not just get Meg White. At any rate, I’m fairly confident the drummer holds the band back from writing better songs. I mean how did the band have the audacity to follow up The Rev and Mike Portnoy with this guy? It’s almost insulting….

I mean, I agree for HTTK, but also he played on Carry On and Not Ready to Die, so that’s kind of a harsh statement to make. And now they’ve got Brooks Wackerman and he’s actually doing a better job with Avenged than Portnoy and Portnoy set a pretty high bar.

21.4, yeah. To be fair, I went from not being able to put anything together at all to this, so I’m way ahead of where I thiught I was. Still better than I’m gonna get with my personal EP. It’s a shame I haven’t got my recording software set up, coz I’d rather just make my own EP for that one.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1484 on: August 08, 2022, 03:51:54 AM »
I'm not a big A7X fan but I thought that album was pretty good.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #1485 on: August 08, 2022, 05:58:56 AM »
I find it quite difficult to make an EP that’s personal to me without using some of the bands on the banned list. Is anybody else experiencing the same difficulties?
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1486 on: August 08, 2022, 06:28:22 AM »
I find it quite difficult to make an EP that’s personal to me without using some of the bands on the banned list. Is anybody else experiencing the same difficulties?

Not really.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1487 on: August 08, 2022, 06:37:36 AM »
I'm just having difficulty with what story I want to tell
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #1488 on: August 08, 2022, 06:37:40 AM »
My initial thought was doing something along the lines of my own musical experiences, but that needs to have (parts of) Metallica, Iron Maiden, Dream Theater, Porcupine Tree etc. I guess I'll have to settle with a different idea.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1489 on: August 08, 2022, 07:54:20 AM »
Yay, glad you liked it so much! I put quite a lot of effort in so I'm glad it paid off.

That's fair enough about the reversing, and I appreciate you not really being punitive score-wise in recognition that it's a taste thing. Ultimately I knew it wouldn't have worked to jump straight back into "TIIIIME" from In the Wake of Evolution, it was just too sudden and out of the blue, so I needed some sort of build up as Azara got pulled back into the world. I thought the reversing effect worked great but completely understand it's not for everyone.

I'm delighted you liked the Drudkh intro though. I spent a disproportionate amount of time on it, but I think it paid off. :lol I knew World of the Void was my opener but I felt it jumped into the vocals too quickly so I wanted a short intro. So I literally worked my way through all the short tracks I had in my collection seeing what would work, and amazingly this one had exactly the same motif as the opening to World of the Void. Only problems were, the sound was quite different, plus it was in E while WotV is in F. So I pitch-shifted it up a semitone, and faded in and out some cellos (playing an F) to straddle across the two tracks. Totally worth it. :hat

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1490 on: August 08, 2022, 02:51:45 PM »
Methinks I have the final tracklisting for the last round.  Now I just gots to clean up a few things with some edits (not diets!), and craft the story.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #1491 on: August 08, 2022, 07:24:06 PM »
Alright, I finally got home from work.....I'm going to eat dinner and then see how many of these results I can get out tonight.....I make no promises...
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1492 on: August 08, 2022, 07:26:48 PM »
How many do you have left?

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #1493 on: August 08, 2022, 07:33:19 PM »
How many do you have left?
Uh, 5 I think.
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1494 on: August 08, 2022, 07:37:17 PM »
I have a question on the Concept Album. Do you want it as ONE single track? My story is told in two halves, and I've edited them separately, but I can still edit those together to make a single track if you prefer that.

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #1495 on: August 08, 2022, 08:00:24 PM »
I have a question on the Concept Album. Do you want it as ONE single track? My story is told in two halves, and I've edited them separately, but I can still edit those together to make a single track if you prefer that.
Doesn't have to be one single track. However you want to edit it together works for me.
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1496 on: August 08, 2022, 08:48:42 PM »
Guess I’ll see ‘‘em in the morning. East coast bedtime.

Offline Deadeye21

« Reply #1497 on: August 08, 2022, 09:41:08 PM »
Can I make up some bs about a “Deadeye” character instead of the actual personal story? How many points is being personal actually worth here?

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #1498 on: August 08, 2022, 10:00:04 PM »
Can I make up some bs about a “Deadeye” character instead of the actual personal story? How many points is being personal actually worth here?

Round 4 - Optional Theme: Your story (Your origin story, the story about you, or a made up story about you or your forum persona)
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline Deadeye21

« Reply #1499 on: August 08, 2022, 10:09:35 PM »
I sing I have accidentally found on Spotify in looking for songs about my username. SOMEONE WROTE A SONG ABOUT US!

https://open.spotify.com/track/0x4ctlzLd1bhEiQuBSf36p?si=HbVJd9JNRdaxYLtSLy5LGA

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #1500 on: August 09, 2022, 12:08:50 AM »

Jingle - F#ck Cancer Part 1: Us

Poverty's No Crime / Spiral of Fear
Mystery / How Do You Feel?
Mattador / Tired
Thunderstone / Weak
Ostura / Deathless
Hardline / 31-91
Hardline / In The Hands Of Time
Yargos / Time Drops

First Impression - Dang
Bonus Point for best song - In the Hands of Time

Starting this off with a song you've already sent me, eh? Bad form! Just kidding...it's not like it was an official roulette submission last time :neverusethis: Anyway I'll just repeat what I said last time about this song, since it still holds true. This song has a great progression and great sound. It almost sounds like Falling Into Infinity era production with Awake/A Change of Seasons creativity. Long story short, I like this song. In fact I may like it even better than I did the last time you sent it. It's a great song and jeez that guitar solo to end it! How Do You Feel is another great song. I love this band's brand of Neo-Prog, it being very emotion driven. Everyone plays for the song instead of doing the "prog I need to show off my uber skillzzz, dude bro" thing. I know you've sent me Mystery before and while this song has some amazing moments in it, I think it lacks some of the brilliant melodies in the other songs you've sent me. Still a top notch song though. Tired is next and from a band I don't believe I've ever heard of before. I looked them up and, yeah I'm about 101% I've never heard of this band. For a simple acoustic song, this packs quite a punch. It's strong vocally and melodically. I wasn't sure about the field recording in the second half of the song, but I'll have more to say about this later. Weak is kind of in a similar vein as Tired. This is piano driven instead of acoustic guitar driven though. I don't like the vocals here quite as much as the Mattador song. However the build up here is pretty strong. This is probably the best Thunderstone song I've heard before. Then we get to Deathless. At first listen this felt out of place (more on this later). I do love this song and the cinematic feel of it and the great varied vocals throughout (is that Michael Mills on this?). Plus we get some great guitar work from Marco Sfogli and that part with the Violin mixed with what sounds like a harp is quite nice. I wish Ostura would hurry up and release another album! Next we get a pair of Hardline tracks. Neal Schon Hardline to be precise. Gotta love Neal Schon's guitar work here. The first is just an acoustic intro to what I consider the centerpiece of this EP. In the Hands of Time is one of those tracks that just hits me just right. I can't really explain it, but I'll try. Everything about it is just perfect. It's the perfect blend of emotional and passionate vocals mixed with emotional and melodic guitar solos combined with a catchy melody that never gets tiring. The last song has a tough act to follow. Time Drops is not a bad song though. And this is another band I've never heard of before. But wait is that Andrew McDermott? Why, yes it is! So you managed to throw in my favorite Threshold vocalist on here. The rest of the song is just merely good, but Mac is awesome, as always. Needless to say you kind of knocked it out of the park with your song choices here.
Song Score - 8.9/10 +1 for Best song of the round

Now the story you kind of nailed it too. It just works. You pretty much perfectly reflected all the emotions and actions associated with going through a cancer diagnosis. Between my grandfather dying from cancer 9 years ago and my Aunt battling breast cancer, I can relate. And speaking of, it is a battle! So those field recordings of battle are actually quite fitting and I don't know if that was intentional, but battling cancer is one of the toughest battles a human can endure and fight. Then the Ostura song was also quite fitting with it being more bombastic and cinematic. It works well with the story. Again, not sure if you intended it that way, but it's how I interpreted it. Now I am almost dreading what you have cooked up for the second part. I'm sure it will be good, but I'm also sure it will be an emotional roller coaster. Anyway, I have literally no complaints about the story here at all.
Story Score - 10/10

Flow Score - I'm not going to spend too much time on this aspect. Overall the flow from song to song was fine. A couple transitions could have been tightened up, however, the pacing was fantastic and worked well with how you were trying to tell the story. Also each song had its place and fit well within the whole of the EP.
Flow Score - 8/10

Overall Score - 27.9/30
« Last Edit: August 13, 2022, 10:36:10 AM by Puppies_On_Acid »
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1501 on: August 09, 2022, 04:17:34 AM »
Great score Chad. Fantastic story.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1502 on: August 09, 2022, 04:45:19 AM »
I’ll take it!!

I do now feel a little bad for resending Spiral of Fear. You know, I’ve got a good memory, it just isn’t very long - even after reminding me of that concept album I built and sent even though I’d been eliminated in tha prior roulette, I totally forgot that song was in it… because again, it’s not on Spotify, so it’s not actually in the playlist I sent you!  I didn’t re-read you’re review of that, so I’d also forgotten what your take on it was. It’s a fave song of mine, and one that I felt set the stage of fear/scared appropriately here.

Cheating is in my DNA so much, I don’t even know I’m doing it sometimes!!! :lol

Given how well the first two elements scored (including song of the round :fistpump:) I won’t even pull a “Tim” and complain about the flow score.  ;D

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1503 on: August 09, 2022, 04:49:41 AM »
Nice one Chad.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1504 on: August 09, 2022, 04:51:16 AM »
You know, I’ve got a good memory, it just isn’t very long

Umm.....I'm not sure this qualifies as having a good memory Chad.