Author Topic: Puppies (Re)Discovery EP Roulette V.4 (The Final Art!)  (Read 78917 times)

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
Re: Puppies (Re)Discovery EP Roulette V.4 (Round 2 Result Three)
« Reply #1085 on: July 24, 2022, 01:26:42 PM »
Since we are getting results, don't think it's a big deal if you reveal your own songs, but idk how Puppies feel about it. There are still 2 songs left unsolved from my EP (besides Indians, which you already guessed).
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Online King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #1086 on: July 24, 2022, 01:30:59 PM »
Interesting, the song scores suggest that your overall score for song quality is a simple average? Never been a fan of that myself as it doesn't account for song length, but each to their own.

With that in mind though, do you want us to specify any short tracks that are essentially intros/interludes, or are you happy to make that judgement call yourself?

(EDIT: from my perspective, the two 2.5 min tracks in the current round are pretty much an intro and interlude - part of the story and flow but not intended to be included as strong songs in themselves)
To your point about song length. All the songs on King's EP happened to be all around the same length between 4-6 minutes. So a simple average (almost) worked out. However that was not the case with Jingle's EP, since I took The Oswald File song as a whole, it had a much larger impact on the score. Same with TAC's EP, the last track was much shorter and therefor had a much lower impact on score.

As far as Intro/segues/interludes/etc. I can make that judgement call. It's usually pretty obvious which songs are interludes, and I score (or don't score) them appropriately.

Oh dear :lol I have a sixth of a song on my EP! On its own that doesn't make sense, I hope it does in the full thing.

Hangmanen is a bit slow for some reason? I'm considering revealing the thing and posting the link for you guys to listen to it (if you want) before I leave the house again. Came back late last night, and I'll be away again next week starting tomorrow morning.
I'd go ahead and reveal it, since I'll be posting the rest of the results today (most likely). A couple may bleed into tomorrow...

Since we are getting results, don't think it's a big deal if you reveal your own songs, but idk how Puppies feel about it. There are still 2 songs left unsolved from my EP (besides Indians, which you already guessed).
Yeah, anyone that wants to fully reveal their EPs, I say go for it!  :tup
aka Puppies_On_Acid
My last.fm | My Rate Your Music Page
Quote from: Podaar
King's Photoshop powers are akin to a three year old cutting faces out of photographs with the edge of a dull spoon and pasting them in place with garden shovel full of Gorilla Glue.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #1087 on: July 24, 2022, 01:36:02 PM »
Came back late last night, and I'll be away again next week starting tomorrow morning.
Are you going to be able to get your next EP to me before next Saturday? That would be the 30th.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
King's Photoshop powers are akin to a three year old cutting faces out of photographs with the edge of a dull spoon and pasting them in place with garden shovel full of Gorilla Glue.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1088 on: July 24, 2022, 01:46:25 PM »
Interesting, the song scores suggest that your overall score for song quality is a simple average? Never been a fan of that myself as it doesn't account for song length, but each to their own.

With that in mind though, do you want us to specify any short tracks that are essentially intros/interludes, or are you happy to make that judgement call yourself?

(EDIT: from my perspective, the two 2.5 min tracks in the current round are pretty much an intro and interlude - part of the story and flow but not intended to be included as strong songs in themselves)
To your point about song length. All the songs on King's EP happened to be all around the same length between 4-6 minutes. So a simple average (almost) worked out. However that was not the case with Jingle's EP, since I took The Oswald File song as a whole, it had a much larger impact on the score. Same with TAC's EP, the last track was much shorter and therefor had a much lower impact on score.

As far as Intro/segues/interludes/etc. I can make that judgement call. It's usually pretty obvious which songs are interludes, and I score (or don't score) them appropriately.
Sounds good all round. :tup

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1089 on: July 24, 2022, 02:16:49 PM »
Also for anyone interested, here's my round 2 EP:

Void II: Call of the Infinite Cosmos
« Last Edit: July 31, 2022, 12:36:04 AM by ariich »

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #1090 on: July 24, 2022, 02:47:10 PM »
Also for anyone interested, here's my round 2 EP:

Cool, thank you! Have you ever heard the album Darkness Rises by Temko? (Probably not). It's an instrumental piece about Voyager 10. I think I actually used a 'song' from this one on an EP once!
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #1091 on: July 24, 2022, 02:48:46 PM »
Came back late last night, and I'll be away again next week starting tomorrow morning.
Are you going to be able to get your next EP to me before next Saturday? That would be the 30th.

I'm going to do my best to at least send you a Spotify playlist of songs, if that's alright.. Then you will get the edited version on Sunday. I have the rough draft for the next EP, but I won't be able to do the editing until Sunday (31st).
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #1092 on: July 24, 2022, 02:52:08 PM »
Sunrise: If I Should Lose You Before the Night is Through, the Stars Will Fall From the Skies
That was a hell of a ride! Cinematic, powerful, heartfelt, crushing, and sort of weird

1. Julie London - You and the Night and the Music
2. 1914 - Corps d'Autos-Canons-Mitrailleuses (a.c.m.)
3. 1914 - Passchenhell
4. Queen - Lily of the Valley
5. The Beatles - Julia (excerpt)
6. "We're Here Because We're Here" (WWI song, excerpt of 'Passchenhell')
7. Ministry - Victims of a Clown
8. Rammstein - Sonne
9. Julie London - If I Should Lose You
10. Ibrahim Maalouf - True Sorry

Link to the EP!

See if you can figure out the story  :corn
Squ

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #1093 on: July 24, 2022, 03:33:20 PM »
oh yeah here's mine

The Southern Rebellion and Massacre of 1832-1835: link

1. SikTh - Tupelo
2. Primeval Well - Tales Carved in Stone on a Forbidden Road
3. Trophy Scars - Brother
4. Wiegedood - FN Scar 16
5. Kevin Devine - Brother's Blood
6. Izthmi - The Arrows of Our Ways

i am the person who would make a country black metal EP (roughly that's what this is anyways idk)
« Last Edit: July 24, 2022, 03:42:39 PM by Cyril »

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #1094 on: July 24, 2022, 03:54:11 PM »

i am the person who would make a country black metal EP (roughly that's what this is anyways idk)
And oddly enough you didn't put any Panopticon on there  :lol
aka Puppies_On_Acid

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
Re: Puppies (Re)Discovery EP Roulette V.4 (Round 2 Result Four)
« Reply #1095 on: July 24, 2022, 03:56:52 PM »

Deadeye - Rewound.Recast

Ozzy Osbourne – For What It's Worth
Foo Fighters – Waiting on a War
Megadeth – Foreclosure of a Dream
Green Day – Governator
Pink Floyd – Two Suns in the Sunset
Alter Bridge – Waters Rising
Muse – Aftermath
David Bowie – When the WInd Blows
Volatus – A Pictures Worth

First Impression - Some less than stellar singing throughout a lot of this.

So this starts off with an Ozzy cover of For What It's Worth......and man do I not like his vocals on this song. I do like the guitar work here and if I'm not mistaken I believe this was Jerry Cantrell on this album. I've always liked his guitar playing. This is followed by Waiting on a War from the Foo Fighters newest album, which I've only given 1 listen to at this point. I actually really like this song. It sounds better than anything on their last 2 albums. Dave Grohl even sounds decent here, even though his voice has been getting progressively worse as time goes on. I like how the song builds to a grand climax. Good stuff! Next is Foreclosure of a Dream. This is from the album that got me into Megadeth many years ago, but I haven't really listened to it in quite some time. Now Dave Mustaine is not a good vocalist by any means, but I don't remember him sounding this bad on this song. I often wonder how much better Megadeth could have been had Mustaine hired an actual vocalist instead of appealing to his own sense of pride. Other than the vocals this is a decent song, with a great solo by Mustaine. Governator is next and let's just say this isn't my kind of song. I like some punk rock, but this just doesn't resonate with me. I remember listening to this album when it first came out and hated it. Hearing this song again isn't making me want to give the album another listen. More not great vocals here too. Pretty bold of you to send me a Pink Floyd song from the album of theirs that I dislike the most :D The Final Cut is a 3/10 album for me. This song might be the least offensive on the album and is actually a decent, but not great, song. Waters Rising is a great Alter Bridge song. I'm a big fan of this band and this is a big departure from all the vocals that came before because Myles Kennedy is a great singer! This also happens to be from my favorite Alter Bridge album and you gotta hand it to Mark Tremonti when given lead to write the music he wants he can come up with some great riffs and melodies. Helps when you are surrounded by other great songwriters too....and a competent vocalist. So I remember really disliking the album Aftermath is from (Drones) when it came out and I basically shelved the album and haven't listened to it since. Perhaps it's because of the context here, but I don't remember this song being this good. This is just a really good classic Muse track with interesting vocals and good song writing. Maybe I should revisit this album, but I have the sneaking suspicion I'm going to hate it still :lol Anyway, congratulations on sending me a David Bowie song I've never heard before. I never even knew this song existed....Unfortunately I don't like this song very much, so....there's that. It sounds super '80s and not in a good way and I don't like Bowie's vocals here either. They aren't bad, they just sounds awkward with weird vocal melodies and harmonies. Lastly, we come to an original song by you (your band?). I don't want to sound too harsh here, because I'd rather nurture people trying to make their own music, so all I can offer is some constructive criticism and hope you don't take offense. So my biggest hurdle here is the production; everything sounds way too loud in the mix and it has a bit of a brickwalled sound. The guitars sound a bit like the amps were covered with a wet blanket, although there are some really cool riffs throughout the song. As a matter of fact, there's a lot of cool instrumentation here, but like I said, the production is holding it back. I actually don't have much to criticize regarding the vocals, like you feared. Overall the EP has some good, some bad, and some ugly singing ;)
Song Score - 7.1/10

So the story is an interesting alternate take on the Cold War. What could have happened if everyone decided to start dropping nuclear bombs. It's a scary thought and one that is still a very real threat. I think all the songs here work better for the story than even you thought. And I think Aftermath actually fits really well in this story. I also like the way you ended with A Pictures Worth, as somebody looking back, kind of like we do today, and wonder what could have happened....or what could still happen.
Story Score - 8/10 +1 for bonus theme +1 for favorite EP title

The flow here, being a Spotify playlist, needs some work, but overall it isn't too bad. While I do prefer EP's to be edited to make them work as a cohesive whole, I do understand people's hesitancy to try that. Having said that there were quite a few things that could have been done here to make it more interesting. Plus there were a few changes in production/volume that were a little jarring. Overall it worked much better than your round 1 EP, though. Seems like you took the time to try to pick songs that could naturally flow well.
Flow Score - 6/10

Overall Score - 23.1/30
« Last Edit: July 25, 2022, 11:28:33 PM by Puppies_On_Acid »
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #1096 on: July 24, 2022, 04:06:28 PM »
I'm going to listen to first Rich and Cyril's EPs in the car tomorrow :)
Squ

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1097 on: July 24, 2022, 04:25:57 PM »
i only have one panopticon album & i'm not a big fan, that's why  :corn

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
Re: Puppies (Re)Discovery EP Roulette V.4 (Round 2 Result Five)
« Reply #1098 on: July 24, 2022, 05:01:16 PM »

Elite - Sunrise: If I Should Lose You Before the Night is Through, The Stars Will Fall From the Skies

Julie London – You and the Night and the Music
1914 – Corps d'Autos-Canons-Mitrailleuses (a.c.m.)
1914 – Passchenhell
Queen – Lily of the Valley
The Beatles – Julia (excerpt)
"We're Here Because We're Here" (WWI song, excerpt of 'Passchenhell')
Ministry – Victims of a Clown
Rammstein – Sonne
Julie London – If I Should Lose You
Ibrahim Maalouf – True Sorry

First Impression - That was a hell of a ride! Cinematic, powerful, heartfelt, crushing, and sort of weird.

Man, this EP.... I gotta say, you don't always knock it out of the park with your song choices, but you have a gift for taking wildly different genres and mashing them up into a cohesive whole (most of the time).

So this starts off with the Jazz Standard, You and the Night and the Music, by none other than Julie London. I've heard quite a bit of her stuff before, my parents are fans, so I knew what to expect going in. I don't listen to this kind of music often, but when I do, I enjoy it. And this is just a great way to start the whole EP. Then following the Jazz Standard number we have 2 Black Metal songs.....I don't think I would have ever thought to do that, but apparently I'm going to have to up my genre mashup game for whoever runs an EP roulette next ;) I'm kind of taking Corps d'Autos-Canon-Mitrailleuses and Passchenhell as one song and the way you made them flow together they kind of feel like 2 halves of a whole here. First things first, I've never heard of this band, 1914, before. And judging by their name I'm guessing they write music mostly about WWI. Fitting for your EP. These songs work really well and are quite enjoyable, musically. It delves mostly into the doomy side of black metal, with occasional bursts of faster tempo black metal. They also use field recordings/etc quite well too. Although if I'm being honest I think I like the first 1914 song better than the 2nd. Just slightly. Maybe....Eh, they are both good, plus Passchenhell has that cool violin solo....Lily of the Valley is next and a nice little break from the metal of 1914, followed by a small portion of Julia by the Beatles. This is an interesting use of using excerpts. I like that. Then using an excerpt of Passchenhell. Next up is Victims of a Clown. This is the song I struggled with the most. I've never been a Ministry fan. I just can't get into their music, for whatever reason. I can't even really explain why. There's some interesting spoken word parts in this song and it almost has a twisted haunted house feel to it. I don't know, the fact that it goes on for over 8 minutes without much change up, it just feels like it overstays its welcome. This was a similar problem in your last EP with the Meshuggah track. Anyway, Sonne is an improvement. I love me some Rammstein. And Sonne is kind of the definitive song from the definitive Rammstein album. Not much else to say about this song. Then we get another Julie London song. I don't think this one is as compelling as the first one, but still not a bad song. Then to close out the EP we have True Sorry and at first I was confused because it starts out sounding almost exactly like a Dire Straits song....for like the first 5 seconds. Anyway, this is some interesting Jazz/Fusion type stuff. I really like that recurring melody throughout the song on the horns. Overall mostly strong songs with a couple less than stellar ones thrown in. Unfortunately one of the less than stellar songs was 8 minutes of the run time.
Song Score - 8/10

The story for this felt quite cinematic. The way you weaved these songs together felt almost like a soundtrack to a movie. There were a few things that really stood out to me. The use of Black Metal to depict the horrors of war, especially WWI. The usage of the shorter songs and excerpts in the middle of the EP worked well as kind of a transition between acts of the story. I liked the use of Victims of a Clown and Sonne to depict the weird nature of the aftermath of the war. And this being an alternate history version of WWI and the aftermath, it works well. Then closing it out with another Julie London song shows what became of the protagonist of the story and finally the closing track working as almost an epilogue/closing credits song. I like that!
Story Score - 9/10 +1 for bonus theme

This mostly flows quite well and the way you rearranged some of the tracks and cut and moved things about to make it work was great too. Just the way you transitioned from Julie London to black metal was great. This is only inspiring me to go more crazy with genre choices in future roulettes ;) Anyways, then going from Black metal to Queen was handled really well. The only real issue I had was the transition from the Passchenhell excerpt to Victims of a Clown, there's kind of a hard cut there that I don't like and probably could have been handled a bit differently. Other than that, great job intermixing so many different genres and making it work! Not only making it work, but making it cinematic!
Flow Score - 9/10

Overall Score - 27/30
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline Deadeye21

• 30 years say we’re in this together
« Reply #1099 on: July 24, 2022, 05:42:51 PM »

Deadeye - Rewound.Recast

Ozzy Osbourne – For What It's Worth
Foo Fighters – Waiting on a War
Megadeth – Foreclosure of a Dream
Green Day – Governator
Pink Floyd – Two Suns in the Sunset
Alter Bridge – Waters Rising
Muse – Aftermath
David Bowie – When the WInd Blows
Volatus – A Pictures Worth

First Impression - Some less than stellar singing throughout a lot of this.
 Lastly, we come to an original song by you (your band?). I don't want to sound too harsh here, because I'd rather nurture people trying to make their own music, so all I can offer is some constructive criticism and hope you don't take offense. So my biggest hurdle here is the production; everything sounds way too loud in the mix and it has a bit of a brickwalled sound. The guitars sound a bit like the amps were covered with a wet blanket, although there are some really cool riffs throughout the song. As a matter of fact, there's a lot of cool instrumentation here, but like I said, the production is holding it back. I actually don't have much to criticize regarding the vocals, like you feared. Overall the EP has some good, some bad, and some ugly singing ;)

No no, this is pretty much exactly what we’ve been saying since the EP came out. It got rushed in the last stages with mastering and the last vocals literally being done the week it came out. In the producer’s own words “I absolutely cooked this mix and it ended up wetter than a fish”. We pretty much learned a lot of how not to do my next EP by doing this one, so “production bad” is pretty much the least original constructive criticism of this one. This coming out the way it did is kinda why we’re trying to relight the old fires and do an album even though this band broke up in 2020.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2022, 06:51:41 PM by Deadeye21 »
Let's go with a P for Deadeye has premature alphabetejaculation.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1100 on: July 24, 2022, 06:54:39 PM »
Elite is killing it!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Re: Puppies (Re)Discovery EP Roulette V.4 (Round 2 Result One)
« Reply #1101 on: July 24, 2022, 10:02:52 PM »
Link to my take - https://drive.google.com/file/d/12wg5hr7tUZ7rZK6AH85RpCFH6SMd8zDh/view?usp=sharing

Nice... that transition into/out of Assassination was a bit smoother than mine.   :tup
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #1102 on: July 25, 2022, 05:59:42 AM »
Elite is killing it!

:partyinpartyinyeah:

—-

Thanks for your review! I must say, the thing I enjoy most about this whole roulette is using different styles and putting everything together. I think jazz and metal go well together, if you pick the right stuff and I always try to make original combinations. This came together organically, and was fueled by recent concert experiences (Rammstein live, Ibrahim Maalouf who uses the same Chaplin speech as in the Ministry song, learning You and the Night and the Music myself). I’n glad you liked it and I’m happy I made this bunch of songs work together. I knew the Ministry song might not be your cup of tea, it might just be better in context of the album it comes from. Anyway, I’m happy with my score :biggrin:

Squ

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #1103 on: July 25, 2022, 06:06:08 AM »
I'm going to listen to first Rich and Cyril's EPs in the car tomorrow :)

ariich’s EP was beautiful, wow!

Cyril’s was.. intense. The two Brother songs were the best thing to me, great songs! Of the black metal stuff I thought the first track was the most enjoyable. I really disliked FM Scar 16. That’s everything I don’t like about black metal, but I guess it fits with the story. As far as flow goes, I think most of the changes were a bit abrupt. Anyway, was nice listening. Thanks for sharing! :)
Squ

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1104 on: July 25, 2022, 07:04:36 AM »
Thanks Rich, really glad you liked it. Once it came together I was so pleased with it, I've found myself listening to it quite a lot myself which I don't normally do. Also it's a rare one of my EPs with a more upbeat ending - they're usually pretty bleak! :lol

I'm intrigued by yours - at first glance it doesn't seem like it'd be very coherent in style but Pup obviously thought it worked great. I'll give it a listen this evening!

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1105 on: July 25, 2022, 12:27:23 PM »
that wiegedood album is the harshest sides of black metal done right imo but i get it, it's a lot  :lol

i still think i nailed the transitions on this one but puppies disliked one of my favorite transitions on the last EP so who knows

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1106 on: July 25, 2022, 03:16:51 PM »
:corn

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1107 on: July 25, 2022, 03:46:08 PM »
:soon:

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1108 on: July 25, 2022, 05:06:41 PM »
Round 3 from me has been sent.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #1109 on: July 25, 2022, 06:06:29 PM »
OK, finally home from work. Time to finish up the last results.
aka Puppies_On_Acid

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
Re: Puppies (Re)Discovery EP Roulette V.4 (Round 2 Result Six)
« Reply #1110 on: July 25, 2022, 07:03:58 PM »

Wolfking - Stalingrad: The Regime of Evil

Sabaton – Rise of Evil (0:00)
Slayer – Angel of Death (7:25)
Angel Dust – Come Into Resistance (12:14)
Angel Dust – First in Line (17:34)
Angel Dust – Cross of Hatred (18:51)
Accept – Stalingrad (23:48)
Black Majesty – Fall of the Reich (29:49)
Nightingale – Stalingrad (34:59)

First Impression - There were some moments where I was just like :metal and then there were some moments where I was like :|

So, some pretty bold picks for this EP. Starting it off with Sabaton, the world's most boring metal band :neverusethis: I jest....sort of....This song actually works fairly well as an intro song. I still don't want to listen to an entire Sabaton album, but one is fine enough. I'm just not the target audience for Sabaton, which is fine. The chorus actually had a way of worming its way into my brain, so there's that. Next is the world's most overrated Thrash Metal band, Slayeeeeeerrrrrr!!!!!!! And really Slayer is just a poor man's Vektor, in my opinion. And it's a good thing Dave Lombardo had Gene Hoglan around to teach him how to play drums :neverusethis: Granted Slayer was doing this 30 years before Vektor, but Vektor basically took that intensity and made it better and more progressive and more technical. Again, this works in context, and again, I wouldn't want to listen to a whole album of Slayer.....Let's move on to some of the more awesome songs here. The three Angel Dust songs are all quite enjoyable. I've never heard this band before and am now looking forward to diving into them more. Come Into Resistance has some nice riffs and melodies. The only not so great part of this song might be the keyboards. They are teetering on the edge of being just a bit too cheesy for me. First In Line works as a nice segue and then we blast into Cross of Hatred for some headbanging :2metal: I feel like Angel Dust is a much more interesting version of Sabaton :neverusethis: At any rate, there are some tasty guitar solos in both of these Angel Dust songs :metal Next we come to the first of two Stalingrad tracks, this one by Accept.....or as I like to call them, slightly heavier AC/DC (aka rocks most boring band :neverusethis: (I need to stop using this emoji :neverusethis: (nevermind.....))) Actually this song isn't all that bad (chugga-da-chugga-da-chugga-chugga-chugga-da-chugga-chugga.....Brian Johnson sound-a-like yelling....rinse...repeat :D ) There are actually some cool melodic solos here and the chugging doesn't really bother me, I'm just being an ass. Now, Fall of the Reich is a cool song, from another band I haven't listened to before, although it took me a few listens to really get into this song. Cool riffing, decent singing (actually the singer looks like the lovechild of Kiko Loureiro and Dallas Toler-Wade). Then we end with the 2nd Stalingrad song. I like the little change in style here with Nightingale to end the EP. Makes it feel more cinematic/story-like. I like pretty much anything Dan Swano, so this was a pretty safe pick. Overall, fairly consistent song quality with only a couple dips, but not quite as strong as your last EP.
Song Score - 7.8/10

I like the story of a German man falling in with Hitler during his rise to power, but then realizing the atrocities that were being committed he joins a rebellion to bring down Hitler's regime. I like the way you used the songs you chose. They all work really well lyrically and musically. I especially like the way you used Angel of Death to tell of the atrocities being done under Hitler's power. However you probably could have subbed in KYPCK's Stalingrad, Sabaton's Stalingrad, and Caducity's Destination: Stalingrad and just made the EP about Stalingrad.... ;) Overall I think this was an improvement in storytelling from your last EP.
Story Score - 8/10 +1 for bonus theme

As far as flow goes, I think the one thing that is bothering me most, and I know this is going to sound slightly hypocritical, is I think Rise of Evil should have faded all the way out before starting in on Angel of Death. Rise of Evil feels more like an introduction to the story and Angel of Death feels like the beginning of Act 1. Just a small thing, but eh. Then Stalingrad to Fall of the Reich might be a little too abrupt, but that almost sounds nitpicky at this point. Mostly good flow overall.
Flow Score - 8/10

Overall Score - 24.8/30
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1111 on: July 25, 2022, 08:14:35 PM »
Accept is awesome.  :metal

I had considered using them for one of my Concept Album ideas. Jeez, now I have to rethink that.

And Dave Lombardo is awesome.

Pup, you're a young punk. ;D
« Last Edit: July 25, 2022, 08:29:38 PM by TAC »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1112 on: July 25, 2022, 08:48:02 PM »
Accept is awesome.  :metal

I had considered using them for one of my Concept Album ideas. Jeez, now I have to rethink that.

I'll guarantee the title is *not* How To Influence People and Win Friends.  :lol
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Deadeye21

• 30 years say we’re in this together
« Reply #1113 on: July 25, 2022, 09:11:22 PM »

Wolfking - Stalingrad: The Regime of Evil

Sabaton – Rise of Evil (0:00)

First Impression - There were some moments where I was just like :metal and then there were some moments where I was like :|

So, some pretty bold picks for this EP. Starting it off with Sabaton, the world's most boring metal band :neverusethis: I jest....sort of....This song actually works fairly well as an intro song. I still don't want to listen to an entire Sabaton album, but one is fine enough. I'm just not the target audience for Sabaton, which is fine. The chorus actually had a way of worming its way into my brain, so there's that.

I’m sorry, how could you possibly know if this song is any good since it’s apparently 0 seconds long!?
Let's go with a P for Deadeye has premature alphabetejaculation.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1114 on: July 25, 2022, 09:13:45 PM »
 :rollin

Couldn't have said it better myself! :lol

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #1115 on: July 25, 2022, 09:26:29 PM »
:rollin

Couldn't have said it better myself! :lol
:lol My behind the scenes stuff keeps finding its way into the results  :rollin
aka Puppies_On_Acid

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
Re: Puppies (Re)Discovery EP Roulette V.4 (Round 2 Result Seven)
« Reply #1116 on: July 25, 2022, 09:30:56 PM »

Ariich - Void II: Call of the Infinite Cosmos

Public Service Broadcasting – The Race for Space
This Day and Age – Second Star to the Right
Sleeping at Last – Jupiter
Sleeping at Last – Saturn
The Dear Hunter – What Time Taught Us
65daysofstatic – Escape Velocity
The Dear Hunter – Mandala
Sleeping at Last – Hearing
Dream the Electric Sleep – Flight

First Impression - With the exception of one transition this was super smooth and relaxing

Not quite as exciting as Void 1, but somehow just as good. Moving on....gold star.......

OK, I guess I'll actually write a review here. So The Race for Space works as a moodsetter and a great intro to the story at hand, not much else to say about this track. Second Star to the Right is next and I have the album this is from for some reason, but I've never listened to it....again, for reasons....I actually really like this kind of Indie styled rock, it has a bit of a progressive flair, but not like full on technical wankery. It's just a good solid rock song, but with beautiful melodies. I really enjoy the passion in the vocals too. This is followed by a pair of Sleeping at Last songs, Jupiter and Saturn, which kind of sets the stage for the mood of this whole EP. You went with the peaceful serenity of space for the mood, rather than the crushing, cold, and unforgiving nature of space. These two songs encapsulate that mood perfectly. Moody, ethereal, atmospheric, beautiful and slightly melancholic. I especially like the way Saturn starts with the strings before giving way to more of an atmospheric buildup. Sleeping At Last is a band that I've been meaning to get into more. I have a bunch of their stuff, but I just need to dedicate more time to listening to them. Next we have What Time Taught Us, in a brilliant move to placate me with songs from my favorite Dear Hunter album :neverusethis: And to think I almost banned this album for the roulette. This is just one of those songs that proves Casey Crescenzo can write music in just about any genre/style. I think he should do a black metal album next.... :D Next we have a segue track with Escape Velocity. I gotta say you are really appealing to my tastes on this EP, I love me some 65dos. They make some of the best music that could be set to an outer space setting. Next we have Mandala....see part I wrote about What Time Taught Us :neverusethis: OK, not really. This is such a nice spacey track with the distant vocals to start accompanied by piano before it breaks into the song proper. Then we get another Sleeping at Last track with Hearing, which is very reminiscent of the other tracks by them on here, and yet is unique in its own way. More great strings with a nice build up. This feels like more of a segue to the end, even though it's 4 minutes long. Not that I'm complaining. This is one of those songs that I almost wish would last forever... The last track is Flight. I believe I have this bands Heretic album, but I don't remember it at all. This song is pretty great, very uplifting, bright, hopeful. Not a typical way for you to end your EPs ;)
Song Score - 8.6/10

This story is a strange one. On the one hand, I love stories set in space and I love astronomy. I like stories about AI and the idea of AI. On the other hand, there's something about this that falls just a little flat, not in the storytelling aspect or the songs used (as I think that was all done superbly), but in the general premise. I'm not sure I can really put my finger on what is bothering me about this. It could be the open ended, almost cliffhanger, ending to the story.....I think you just Stargate: Universed me. Just when the story started getting really good all of a sudden it was over. I want to know what happens next dammit! :lol Meh, perhaps Void III will be the answer :D
Story Score - 8/10 +1 for bonus theme

The flow here is fantastic. If you get any better at this I'm going to start getting jealous ;) I especially thought it was intriguing how you had the audacity to think it was necessary to put a track between the 2 Dear Hunter tracks that flow naturally together on the album they are from. But damned if it didn't work. You also kept the same general tone throughout even though you subtly shifted styles from one track to the next. :slowclap:
Flow Score - 9.5/10

Overall Score - 27.1/30
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1117 on: July 25, 2022, 10:05:56 PM »
you're definitely putting mine off because it did bad this time  :sadpanda:

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1118 on: July 25, 2022, 11:06:25 PM »
Jeez, pretty underwhelming score.  Perhaps I need to worry more about the songs then trying to create a story through a selection of songs.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #1119 on: July 25, 2022, 11:09:27 PM »
Jeez, pretty underwhelming score.  Perhaps I need to worry more about the songs then trying to create a story through a selection of songs.
I don't know, it wasn't far off from your first round EP. Besides I did really enjoy it.  :metal

On a 100 point scale that works out to an 83/100  :)
aka Puppies_On_Acid