Author Topic: Puppies (Re)Discovery EP Roulette V.4 (The Final Art!)  (Read 78847 times)

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
What's the timing?  I'm still behind and need at least one more day.

Debating with Chad is time consuming. :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
What's the timing?  I'm still behind and need at least one more day. 

Not all results have been revealed, so I guess you're fine!
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
You guys are keen.  I still haven't finalised my round 2 submission.  Hoping I can squeeze it out until Saturday morning to finalise depending when Puppies wants them.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Tough subject about real life I picked.  I hope I did it justice.

This was me for Round 4. Bared my soul.

It's about the shopping carts, isn't it?

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

:lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
You guys are keen.  I still haven't finalised my round 2 submission.  Hoping I can squeeze it out until Saturday morning to finalise depending when Puppies wants them.
Yeah, since I don't have all results out yet, you have some time.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
My last.fm | My Rate Your Music Page
Quote from: Podaar
King's Photoshop powers are akin to a three year old cutting faces out of photographs with the edge of a dull spoon and pasting them in place with garden shovel full of Gorilla Glue.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni

That would lead to WWE songs to finish my playlist. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Yeah, let's see..

Sunday night-fell asleep
Monday night-power outage

What's tonight's excuse gonna be? ;D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
Tim harassing me.

Back off Mr. NO Life. Lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Who's Mr. NO life? What do you have, Harassment Complex? I was harassing Puppies.

I'll be sure to harass you later, don't worry. :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
Like I don't like a challenge. You know I'll be on your front lawn this weekend. Lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Like I don't like a challenge. You know I'll be on your front lawn this weekend. Lol

Like get off my lawn Valley Girl.

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!

Yeah, let's see..

Sunday night-fell asleep

Tonights excuse is going to be me revising the writeup to your EP. :corn
aka Puppies_On_Acid
King's Photoshop powers are akin to a three year old cutting faces out of photographs with the edge of a dull spoon and pasting them in place with garden shovel full of Gorilla Glue.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

Yeah, let's see..

Sunday night-fell asleep

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Yeah, let's see..

Sunday night-fell asleep

Awesome, the Flow score needs some looking at. :lol

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!

Yeah, let's see..

Sunday night-fell asleep

You're right! I think I'm going to take all your flow points away and give them to Kade, since he's had enough shit to deal with this year.  :biggrin:
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Well, you already gave 2 each to Joe and Chad so...

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

Yeah, let's see..

Sunday night-fell asleep

You're right! I think I'm going to take all your flow points away and give them to Kade, since he's had enough shit to deal with this year.  :biggrin:

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
We know the only flow Tim has....

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
We know the only flow Tim has....

Now that flow definitely merits a 6.5. :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni

Still love ya bro. Glad we can crap on each other in love. It makes the game elevate.

I'm so nervous about this round.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Why are you nervous? You already got your score.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
Round 2

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Oh ok gotcha.

You using Journey without Steve Perry?

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
Oh ok gotcha.

You using Journey without Steve Perry?

Lol. Deep shit this time Brah.

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
OK, let's get on with another result.

Wolfking - Rise of the Nanobots

Eidolon – De-Evolution
Scar Symmetry – Seers of the Eschaton
Scar Symmetry – Cryonic Harvest
Blaze Bayley – Robot
Eidolon – Eternal Call
Symphony X – Iconoclast
Flotsam and Jetsam – A Place to Die

First Impression - :metal hmm, that might be too vague, let me try to express myself a little better :2metal:

METAL! That's the name of the game with this EP. Kicking things off with a great Eidolon track, De-Evolution. This is one of those bands I'd heard about numerous times over the years, but never checked out, so I'm glad you sent a couple songs by them. This track has a great groove and some epic riffs. After that we have a pair of Scar Symmetry tunes. I kind of lost track of these guys after Holographic Universe, so it was nice to get a couple tracks from their albums after that. I've always liked their brand of Melodic Death Metal merged with Prog. I love the tone on the lead guitars in both of these songs. I mean it's Per Nilsson, he's a great guitarist and songwriter! I know him from a couple other bands that I like too, Kaipa and Zierler. Now onto the most surprising song of this entire round. My dislike for the Blaze era of Maiden is well known. I just don't feel any passion or emotion from him in Maiden's music. I always thought he was a bad pick for the band. But this song.....this not only works for his voice, but he has actual emotion and good tone to his singing here. How come he couldn't bring this level of energy to Iron Maiden. Now I will have to check out some of his solo stuff. This song totally threw me for a loop, I'm still in shock.... :lol It also helps that this song is absolutely headbang worthy :metal Maybe I'm experiencing Stockholm Syndrome... Anyway, moving on to the 2nd Eidolon song. This one is just as metal as the other one, but perhaps a bit more proggy? Maybe? I also like where this is placed on the EP stylistically between Blaze and Symphony X. Also, until you pointed it out in your PM, I had no idea Frank Aresti was involved with this band. I love his style of lead guitar work and this song is no different. Iconoclast is next and is a fitting song here. I love Symphony X, but I never listened to anything post-Paradise Lost much. I should rectify that. I think my reasoning is, I prefer the more proggy version of Symphony X (basically everything up to The Odyssey) versus the more Metal version they've become since. This ends with a band that I also never got around to listening to much. I've heard the odd song here or there, but not A Place to Die. This song is just :metal Overall this EP is :metal It's kicks your ass all the way through!
Song Score - 8.3/10

De-Evolution starts the story off by introducing our antagonist and does a good job of telling of his sinister nature. The two Scar Symmetry tracks move the plot forward telling how our supervillain takes over the population and then turns them into some kind of cyborgs for his purpose of taking over the world. I like how you used the song Robot to give the perspective of one of the cyborgs. The way I read the lyrics, the cyborgs seem to be aware of what happened to them and what they are doing, but are powerless to stop. Our antagonist as full control over their actions and so leads them to war with the world. Kind of puts a more sinister twist on the whole story. These were innocent people. Eternal Call goes into this a bit more as they are marched off to war. Iconoclast recounts the final battle where the people of the nations rise up and ultimately defeat the cyborg army. All the lyrics to this song fit extremely well story-wise. This ends with A Place to Die which has our antagonist basically go into a deep depression because things didn't go his way and all his plans are for naught and then kills himself. Worst supervillain ever and good riddance ;) There's lots to like about the story. I'd watch this movie. I mean, it's not the most in depth story, but you can only get so far with the EP length.
Story Score - 7.5/10 +1 for bonus theme

Overall the flow works pretty well. I saw no reason to run each song into the next and you didn't for the most part and they all work well on their own. However, the way you blended the 2 Scar Symmetry songs together was a nice touch. I didn't even notice it the first few times I listened through. I also liked the way the spoken word part at the end of Cryonic Harvest leads into Robot. Perfect placement and well executed. The only issue I have is the Symphony X song being just a little quieter than the rest of the songs. Other than that, it all worked quite well.
Flow Score - 8.5/10

Overall Score - 25.3/30
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
Nice job Kade!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Pup, I don't mean to belabor the point, and this will be the last I post on this, but I tried to do some Audacity and you've given three people that didn't even fucking bother 2 to 2.5 more points than me. In all seriousness, I'm kind of fried about it. I know this is all about fun, but I honestly wouldn't have bothered if I knew better.

I tried fade ins and fade outs because that's what I thought I was supposed to do. I don't know man, I feel kind of screwed, honestly.
I feel like trying to do what was encouraged in the spirit of the roulette as opposed to those that didn't even bother isn't sitting well. I'm not gonna Evermind rage quit and if you have to Rule 6 me for complaining then fine, but I'm kind of WTF at this point.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
Tim, you telling me your thought process is better than the one running the roulette?

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
Pup, I don't mean to belabor the point, and this will be the last I post on this, but I tried to do some Audacity and you've given three people that didn't even fucking bother 2 to 2.5 more points than me. In all seriousness, I'm kind of fried about it. I know this is all about fun, but I honestly wouldn't have bothered if I knew better.

I tried fade ins and fade outs because that's what I thought I was supposed to do. I don't know man, I feel kind of screwed, honestly.
I feel like trying to do what was encouraged in the spirit of the roulette as opposed to those that didn't even bother isn't sitting well. I'm not gonna Evermind rage quit and if you have to Rule 6 me for complaining then fine, but I'm kind of WTF at this point.
I'm not sure what to say to this to make you feel better about it, other than I have already given the round 2 ep a listen and the flow is much improved from round 1. And in all honesty, I might have been a little too harsh in the scoring of your EPs flow.

Also, I explained my methodology in the OP regarding how I do my edits. It's not always about crossfading/fading in/out everything. Sometimes 2 songs just don't need it. But again like I said, so far your round 2 EP is much improved.

I don't know what all else to say, other than, I want everyone to have fun here. If you aren't then there is no hard feelings if you want to back out. I run these mostly to have fun and to try my best to make sure the participants have fun. :-\
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

I'm not sure what to say to this to make you feel better about it, other than I have already given the round 2 ep a listen and the flow is much improved from round 1. And in all honesty, I might have been a little too harsh in the scoring of your EPs flow.

Also, I explained my methodology in the OP regarding how I do my edits. It's not always about crossfading/fading in/out everything. Sometimes 2 songs just don't need it. But again like I said, so far your round 2 EP is much improved.

But I only had 5 songs, and left 2 spaces between which you complimented. I tried to edit two songs twice, or two total instances of fading/crossing..and I got whacked. It'd be one thing to give a charity point with a warning that it needs to improve on the next one. I mean, I downloaded the program and roughed my way through it. I put the effort in, and in the end, I just wasted my time.

And my 2nd one IS improved, and I'm really happy with the shit I did for the Round 4 EP.

Sorry. I won't detract any more from the roulette.

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!

But I only had 5 songs, and left 2 spaces between which you complimented. I tried to edit two songs twice, or two total instances of fading/crossing..and I got whacked. It'd be one thing to give a charity point with a warning that it needs to improve on the next one. I mean, I downloaded the program and roughed my way through it. I put the effort in, and in the end, I just wasted my time.

And my 2nd one IS improved, and I'm really happy with the shit I did for the Round 4 EP.
I wouldn't say you wasted your time. You are learning a new skill, so to speak. No one can be a master at something the first time they do it and I don't believe in handing out "participation trophies." That doesn't give people the incentive to improve. Again, your 2nd EP is much improved and I'm looking forward to what you do with the rest of them. As far as those who just sent Spotify playlists that scored better in the flow department, believe me, I was just as surprised as you are. Sometimes life just isn't fair.
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
Pupps, I still love you no matter the score.

*brown nose*

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
Pupps, I still love you no matter the score.

*brown nose*
While you are up there can you check my prostate? :lol
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
How old are you?  I have thick fingers bruh.