Author Topic: Puppies (Re)Discovery EP Roulette V.4 (The Final Art!)  (Read 78820 times)

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
Re: Puppies (Re)Discovery EP Roulette V.4 (Round 1 Results Part 1)
« Reply #595 on: July 10, 2022, 08:45:28 PM »
Vmadera - Searching for a New Life

In Flames – Paralyzed
Gojira – Another World
Plini – Away
Haken – Earthrise
The Cyberiam – Sunset on Mars
Gojira – From Mars
Buckethead – Big Sur Moon

First Impressions - There are some really inspired song choices and flow between songs and some really questionable song choices and flow...

It takes some confidence to put a non melodic death metal In Flames song in a submission in one of my roulettes. Unfortunately this isn't going to work out for you. While I pretty much lost track of In Flames after the trash that was Reroute to Remain thru A Sense of Purpose, this sounds very similar to that. This just isn't what I want from In Flames. There are still glimpses of the former brilliance of the band, but it sounds too much like the band is trying to cash in on the modern Alternative Metal scene without fully "getting it." Another World is next and now we get into some good metal. This is from Gojira's most recent album, which I still haven't gotten around to, but after hearing this I think I need to. This is a great Gojira track! Heavy, while still being melodic and headbang worthy. Everything you need in a Gojira song. Next we have the Plini song Away. I've always enjoyed Plini's stuff, even waaaay back when on the old Mike Portnoy forum where we all knew him as CrazyFatKid (I'm pretty sure that's correct, it's been so long). He is quite the inventive guitar player and musician. This song is no exception. Then we have Earthrise, taken from my favorite Haken album. Just a great catchy Prog Metal song, with a great catchy groove. Sunset On Mars is arguably the best song here and I will definitely need to check out this band The Cyberiam. Very Rush like in places. Which is always a win for me. Next is From Mars, which is really just an intro/interlude track (more on this in a moment). Then it wraps up with a bizarre pick with Big Sur Moon. I like Buckethead, but this feels like it belongs as part of a greater whole and doesn't work for me as a closer to this EP. It's kind of a nothing-burger song on its own. Overall your song score was really hurt by the first track and last 2 tracks.
Song Score - 6.9/10

The story starts with the Earth unable to support life for much longer with scientists basically Paralyzed, not know what to do. The lyrics to this song really helps to paint the picture. Another World takes us to the decision that it's time to leave Earth. Lyrically it mostly fits. Away I can see as a movie montage of the scientists building the spaceship they would need to leave Earth and head to Mars, as well as the beginning of the journey. Earthrise feels like a look back at the history of how Earth got to this point, plus the hopes and dreams of those that left, and what they will find. The stories continues with them finally landing on Mars and contemplating their achievement. Only to realize years later that they would rather go back Earth, but know they can't. Overall I like what's happening in the story up to this point. Next they set forth to the stars and make their way to Sirius. It's this last bit of the story that gets a little lost in the songs that were chosen. I'm curious if you meant to add the Gojira song To Sirius to follow up From Mars. Because I feel like there's something missing here, not just story-wise, but musically and in terms of flow, speaking of...
Story Score - 6.5/10 +1 for bonus theme

The way this flows was going so well before we get to the last 2 tracks, which feel tacked on (especially if To Sirius was never intended to be here) and awkward in terms of flow. For instance the way things flow from Paralyzed to Another World to Away all works pretty well. Then the transition between Away and Earthrise feels nothing short of inspired. Even Earthrise to Sunset on Mars to From Mars all still works. It's just those last two tracks and what feels like something missing that throws it all out of whack for me.
Flow Score - 7/10

Overall Score - 21.4/30
aka Puppies_On_Acid
My last.fm | My Rate Your Music Page
Quote from: Podaar
King's Photoshop powers are akin to a three year old cutting faces out of photographs with the edge of a dull spoon and pasting them in place with garden shovel full of Gorilla Glue.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Deadeye21

• 30 years say we’re in this together
« Reply #596 on: July 10, 2022, 10:30:58 PM »
I can very easily see I am not doing well in the first round.
Let's go with a P for Deadeye has premature alphabetejaculation.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #597 on: July 10, 2022, 10:46:22 PM »
dude your results haven't been posted yet chill out  :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #598 on: July 10, 2022, 10:56:00 PM »

Where can you see that?
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Deadeye21

• 30 years say we’re in this together
« Reply #599 on: July 10, 2022, 11:24:54 PM »

Where can you see that?

Coz my flow and story were weaker than the higher rankings so far.
Let's go with a P for Deadeye has premature alphabetejaculation.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #600 on: July 10, 2022, 11:39:19 PM »

Where can you see that?

Coz my flow and story were weaker than the higher rankings so far.

According to you.  Puppies might see it a bit different.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #601 on: July 11, 2022, 01:35:10 AM »
Whatever will happen to my result, I'm enjoying putting together random songs and trying to make them work a lot :)
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #602 on: July 11, 2022, 04:39:07 AM »
Whatever will happen to my result, I'm enjoying putting together random songs and trying to make them work a lot :)

This.  I don't care if I come last.  The challenge im creating a little story from a group of tunes is way more enjoyable then I thought it would be.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #603 on: July 11, 2022, 05:24:07 AM »
Ha!, more or less what I expected. The last bit of the story was deff added at the end. I didn't like the happy ending of Sunset on Mars so I added some "ambiguity" with the last two songs. I'm sure if I had the time to mixed the two together it might have clicked differently (I had some ideas in my head to mixed them together), Specially Buckethead.

But as I said, this is fun and that's what I'm enjoying :) still working on round 2!
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #604 on: July 11, 2022, 06:33:36 AM »
I think I'm gonna take a pass on the Fantasy storyline as well.  I've got a ton of dragons/demons/castles/knights/magic/ etc.... type of songs, but I'm just not getting a creative vibe out of it.  I've got a few other ideas in mind for themes.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Re: Puppies (Re)Discovery EP Roulette V.4 (Round 1 First Impressions)
« Reply #605 on: July 11, 2022, 06:40:15 AM »

- I'm fairly certain the protagonist was just stoned and he imagined the whole experience.

I'm fairly certain this is Stadler's.

This is stunningly accurate.  :) :)

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #606 on: July 11, 2022, 06:43:40 AM »
My fantasy EP is edited, just not written up yet. It's the historical one that's taking longer to figure out - less freedom to take the narrative where I want to!

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #607 on: July 11, 2022, 06:50:24 AM »
I’ve got to cave, and try a little Audacity for my historical one, as leaving the transitions of a couple songs ‘as-is’ would be a hot mess.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #608 on: July 11, 2022, 06:56:15 AM »
I have a bit of a playlist for the fantasy theme.  Its not as fantasy as the wizards/dragons type thing but I'll make it work.  I have a loose story that fits in nicely too.  Some of the songs aren't your typical 'fantasy' type tunes however.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #609 on: July 11, 2022, 07:33:26 AM »
I have a bit of a playlist for the fantasy theme.  Its not as fantasy as the wizards/dragons type thing but I'll make it work.  I have a loose story that fits in nicely too.  Some of the songs aren't your typical 'fantasy' type tunes however.

So Puppies should expect some Steel Panther? :lol

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #610 on: July 11, 2022, 07:45:08 AM »

So Puppies should expect some Steel Panther? :lol
Haha oh God, should I have banned Steel Panther. I never thought someone would send them.  :rollin

I should have the rest of the results up this evening. I was planning on dropping a couple more last night, but apparently I'm an old man and fell asleep at 9.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
King's Photoshop powers are akin to a three year old cutting faces out of photographs with the edge of a dull spoon and pasting them in place with garden shovel full of Gorilla Glue.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #611 on: July 11, 2022, 08:38:20 AM »
Why do I have a feeling that my Historical EP will share the same topic as others  :corn working on the story, hope to spend some time editing tonight.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #612 on: July 11, 2022, 11:12:25 AM »
Alrighty then - historical EP is complete.  My edits aren't going to win any "Best Sound Engineering" awards or anything - it's more like a "barber-edit" ... a little trim here and there.  I'm content with it though.  Flow is far better than if I just left the tracks in their original form.

Now on to the story of me.  If only I could use Rush / I Think I'm Going Bald.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #613 on: July 11, 2022, 01:09:08 PM »
I’ve got to cave, and try a little Audacity for my historical one, as leaving the transitions of a couple songs ‘as-is’ would be a hot mess.

That's what I figured. And it could also net you a 6.5 as well. :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #614 on: July 11, 2022, 03:43:38 PM »
Sent for the History Round!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #615 on: July 11, 2022, 03:46:01 PM »
for some of y'all the history and personal story EPs are gonna be nearly identical :neverusethis:

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #616 on: July 11, 2022, 03:47:18 PM »
for some of y'all the history and personal story EPs are gonna be nearly identical :neverusethis:

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #617 on: July 11, 2022, 04:07:19 PM »

:lol

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #618 on: July 11, 2022, 04:21:08 PM »
Jingle - Lucifer's Prayer

Flaming Row – Father's Theme
Ad Infinitum – See You In Hell
Dynazty – Unholy Deterrent
Pyramaze – Forsaken Kingdom
Daydream XI – The Guts of Hell
Evergrey – Unforgivable
The Unity – The God of Temptation
The Ferrymen – A New Evil
Epysode – Now and Forever

First Impression - While the songs fit well together, I don't know that they support the narrative enough.

So this starts with the little piano interlude of Father's Theme. Not off to a great start ;) Then we jump into See You In Hell. I'd heard of Ad Infinitum before, but never gave them a listen. I'm liking this song. Great vocals, nice moody buildup that explodes into the chorus of crunchy yet melodic guitars. A fairly short, but sweet song. Unholy Deterrent kind of falls into the fairly generic power/heavy metal genre. I'm getting an Evergrey meets Thunderstone vibe from this. It's not a bad song, but a notable step down from See You In Hell. And I actually like the vocalist here better than either Tom Englund or Pasi Rantanen. Next up is Forsaken Kingdom which is a song that I know and like. I've been a Pyramaze fan for a long time now. This is a great pick from their best album! The Guts of Hell work well stylistically and thematically. The only problem I have with this song is the less than stellar production compared to the rest of the songs here. There are some great riffs and soloing here and the vocalist reminds me a lot of Russell Allen. Unforgivable isn't a great song. I'm not really a fan of their stuff from Recreation Day through Hymns for the Broken. I really don't like Tom Englund's vocals here either. Not much happens that excites me in this song. The God of Temptation is next. This would be a pretty good song if not for the striking metal sound that happens on the snare hits in various sections of the song. I just don't like it. Other than that I'm getting some Tad Morose and DGM vibes from this. The vocalist is competent enough. Next is A New Evil. This is a :metal song! And I thought I recognized the vocalist, it's Ronnie Romero from Lords of Black. I like him. And I guess Magnus Karlsson is in this band as well. That makes sense, I can hear his guitar style all across this. This is just a great song with a great guitar solo in the second half! Now and Forever feels like a great way to end this album musically. Especially with the trading male/female vocals. Works as a compliment to Ad Infinitum in the beginning and a counterpoint to the whole middle section of the EP. Pretty great music for the most part with just a couple of clunkers.
Song Score - 7.4/10

So I see what you are going for with the theme of twisting the Lord's Prayer into Lucifer's Prayer using the song titles as the backbone for the theme. The first 2 tracks actually kind of work for this lyrics wise (well the 2nd track, since the first has no lyrics). Actually I can see Unholy Deterrent working lyrically sort of. Lines like "Unleash the unholy deterrent, Abandon the laws of humanity, Strike down and rule them in terror" help. Forsaken Kingdom actually works quite well in possibly telling the story of how Satan fell from grace and is now the ruler over a forsaken kingdom and how he can't get out. The more I think about it, the more I'm liking how this story is turning out. The Guts of Hell tells of the tortures going on in hell and souls crying out for help in vain. I think I see what you were going for with Unforgivable, it could be the recounting of someone commiting an unforgivable sin that lands them in Hell. The God of Temptation and A New Evil kind of follow along the same lines of thought. The last song is the only one I have a problem with thematically and kind of takes me out of the story/theme. I thought the theme overall was interesting/unique, although I think it could have been pulled off a little more elegantly. I also struggled with whether or not this really fits the Sci-Fi theme, so I came up with a compromise and gave you half a point for the bonus theme.
Story Score - 7/10 +0.5 for bonus theme

So I was actually pretty impressed with the way everything flowed together without any editing. The intro track to See You In Hell-Unholy Deterrent-Forsaken Kingdom-Guts of Hell all worked pretty well. The weird production of Guts of Hell kind of ruined things for a moment. Also the transitions from Unforgivable to God of Temptation to A New Evil could have done with some editing. Other than that it mostly flows well, with nothing too jarring.
Flow Score - 7/10

Overall Score - 21.9/30
aka Puppies_On_Acid

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #619 on: July 11, 2022, 04:26:31 PM »
Awesome! I gotta make sure my inbox is clear for everyone to send. :corn
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #620 on: July 11, 2022, 04:27:57 PM »
Awesome! I gotta make sure my inbox is clear for everyone to send. :corn

Well, mine didn't get kicked back.

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
Cyril - Cry for All That Is Beautiful

Gunship – Dark All Day
Magdalena Bay – Chaeri
Daniel Olsén, Jonathan Eng & Linnea Olsson – Dead of Night
CHVRCHES – Nightmares
Magdalena Bay – Dreamcatching
Daniel Olsén, Jonathan Eng & Linnea Olsson – The World We Knew
Porter Robinson – Sea of Voices
Porter Robinson – Fellow Feeling
Porter Robinson – Goodbye to a World

First Impression - I'm fairly certain no one else in this roulette would like this EP, but this was surprisingly amazing.

I've been mulling over what to write out in this writeup, because a track by track like I had planned for all the EPs just doesn't seem right for this one, but I think that's just going to have to do. Basically if you had told me that this was an official conceptual EP by a band and sent it to me, I wouldn't have questioned it, I think you captured lightning in a bottle with this one.....Anyway onto the writeup.

So I guess it's time for me to finally dive in on Gunship. Dark All Day has convinced me. This is a great song, with that opening with the sax and the slow buildup. It's so atmospheric and really pulls me in. Then the sax is used to great effect throughout the song. The vocals are good to start out, but the vocals in the chorus just give me chills especially coupled with the sax and those '80s style synth toms. Chaeri is an interesting song. I've never heard of Magdalena Bay before, but this is another artist I plan on checking out. This song has that "beautiful, but dark" atmosphere to it. The vocals have a bit of that childish sound, similar to Grimes, which works very well with the production on this track. Then we have Dead of Night which is a bit more upbeat musically, if not lyrically. I like the change of pace and the vocals here are also great. That first line "Can you tell? Does it show? I'm alone in a city of ghosts" is great! Next is Nightmares and just like Gunship this song has convinced me to finally fully check out CHVRCHES. That voice is kind of hypnotizing.... I love it! When the beat finally drops on this with the chorus, man I feel that. What can I say, this is Synthpop with dark rock undertones done right. Dreamcatching is another Magdalena Bay song with more interesting tones/beats and vocals. I guess the song is best described as Chillwave infused Synthpop with a bit of Wonky/Glitch thrown in. When that second half kicks in with the drop and some heavier beats it takes on a whole new life. The World We Knew has a completely different tone to everything that came before, but is no less beautiful and haunting. After that we have 3 Porter Robinson tracks. These are the 3 songs that I was familiar with going into this and surprisingly are the weakest of the bunch as far as song quality/my enjoyment goes. Not to say they are bad songs. Far from it, just not quite up to the same standard as everything else. I'll have more to say about these in the story section. Overall this is probably an EP I'll go back to from time to time, just lots of great beats and vocals.
Song Score - 8.7/10

So the story was a hell of a thing. Part The Matrix, part Cyberpunkish, part Inception. I do kind of wish you had named the characters in the story, because I was a little confused which was which reading through the story because of only using pronouns. No big deal, after a few readthroughs I figured it out. Also each song really felt like it had a purpose in telling the story. Then the way you used the 3 Porter Robinson tracks to close it out was nothing short of inspired. Especially the last 2 tracks, the music plays a part in what is going on in the story and how the story ends. Thoroughly enjoyable.
Story Score - 9/10 +1 for bonus theme

Everything here flowed extremely well, except the transition from Dreamcatching to The World We knew. That was a little awkward. On the other hand the transition from Dead of Night to Nightmares was flawless, I didn't catch in the first time.
Flow Score - 9/10

Overall Score - 27.7/30
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
naming characters is incredibly hard and i hate doing it but i probably should've yes  :lol
the transition you mentioned is actually one of my faves tho  :'( the only one i couldn't really make work in a way i was happy with was dark all day into chaeri but otherwise i think it turned out silky smooth

anyways  :metal time to flub it all with the next EPs

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
naming characters is incredibly hard and i hate doing it but i probably should've yes  :lol
the transition you mentioned is actually one of my faves tho  :'( the only one i couldn't really make work in a way i was happy with was dark all day into chaeri but otherwise i think it turned out silky smooth

anyways  :metal time to flub it all with the next EPs
I usually just use a name generator and use whatever it spits out  :lol
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
I’ll take it!

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Fantastic score Cyril!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Wow!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Let's go Pup! Don't fall asleep.

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
Let's go Pup! Don't fall asleep.
Sorry, cooking dinner.
aka Puppies_On_Acid