Author Topic: Puppies (Re)Discovery EP Roulette V.4 (The Final Art!)  (Read 79649 times)

Offline Deadeye21

• 30 years say we’re in this together
Re: Puppies (Re)Discovery EP Roulette V.4 (Round 1 First Impressions)
« Reply #560 on: July 09, 2022, 10:52:54 PM »
Deadeye - One song feels kind of out of place

Yeah, i have a feeling I know which one too. Commander Thinks Aloud, right?
Let's go with a P for Deadeye has premature alphabetejaculation.

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #561 on: July 09, 2022, 11:09:31 PM »
Deadeye - One song feels kind of out of place

Yeah, i have a feeling I know which one too. Commander Thinks Aloud, right?
That is the one that stood out to me on first listen. I'll have more to say about it in the writeup.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #562 on: July 09, 2022, 11:15:02 PM »
Someone had asked earlier how many of the songs I was familiar with prior to this round. I knew 30 of the 69 songs that were sent. That's kind of the ratio I was looking for in this, about half and half. It's been interesting listening to the songs I know in a new context.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #563 on: July 10, 2022, 02:26:31 AM »
If anyone wants to hear this wacky mashup, I could send it to you as well :)

Elite - 2184: Inari's Penultimate Adventure

Martin O’Donnell – Ghosts of Reach
Blood Stain Child – Stargazer
VOLA – 24 Light-Years
Simon Chylinski – Red Alert
Obsidian Kingdom – The Pump
Simon Chylinski – Fear the Reapers
Muse – Panic Station
Cartographer – Built With Blood and Fears and Tears
Meshuggah – Dancers to a Discordant System
Andrew Prahlow – Into the Wilds
Dyble Longdon - Heartwashing
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Deadeye21

• 30 years say we’re in this together
« Reply #564 on: July 10, 2022, 02:33:25 AM »
If anyone wants to hear this wacky mashup, I could send it to you as well :)

Elite - 2184: Inari's Penultimate Adventure

Martin O’Donnell – Ghosts of Reach
Blood Stain Child – Stargazer
VOLA – 24 Light-Years
Simon Chylinski – Red Alert
Obsidian Kingdom – The Pump
Simon Chylinski – Fear the Reapers
Muse – Panic Station
Cartographer – Built With Blood and Fears and Tears
Meshuggah – Dancers to a Discordant System
Andrew Prahlow – Into the Wilds
Dyble Longdon - Heartwashing

Link me please.
Let's go with a P for Deadeye has premature alphabetejaculation.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #565 on: July 10, 2022, 03:16:47 AM »
Someone had asked earlier how many of the songs I was familiar with prior to this round. I knew 30 of the 69 songs that were sent. That's kind of the ratio I was looking for in this, about half and half. It's been interesting listening to the songs I know in a new context.
how many of mine were you familiar with  :corn

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #566 on: July 10, 2022, 04:18:36 PM »
how many of mine were you familiar with  :corn
I had heard 3 of them before, but I wasn't overly familiar with them.

So I'll start getting results out soon. They will be released in batches. I may not get them all out by tonight, but should have them finished by end of the day (my time!) tomorrow. First batch should be out in the next hour or so.  :corn
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Puppies (Re)Discovery EP Roulette V.4 (Round 1 Results Soon)
« Reply #567 on: July 10, 2022, 04:19:58 PM »
Round 2 I've almost got done, but I'm really struggling with the fantasy one....
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #568 on: July 10, 2022, 05:04:38 PM »
Round 2 I've almost got done, but I'm really struggling with the fantasy one....
Remember, you don't have to follow the round theme if you are struggling to come up with something.
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #569 on: July 10, 2022, 05:08:13 PM »
I'm going to gut wrench you puppies in round 2. It's actually been weighting on me. It's a great topic.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

• DTF.org Member
Puppies (Re)Discovery EP Roulette V.4 (Round 1 Results Part 1)
« Reply #570 on: July 10, 2022, 05:13:09 PM »
Here we go!!!!

Kingshmegland - Crimson On the Horizon

Peter Schilling – Major Tom (Coming Home)
Kansas – Icarus - Borne On Wings of Steel
Cellar Noise – Omega
Styx – Red Storm
Styx – The Outpost

First Impression - I was initially unsure how well these songs would go together musically, but the keyboards, surprisingly, were what bound a lot of it together.

On first listen, I wasn't sure if the first track would stick out compared to the rest, but in hindsight, I think it works quite well as the opener for this EP and for the story overall. I mean, let's be honest here, that initial keyboard motif to start off the song screams '80s cliche from the get go. Now I know this is a kind of bastardization of David Bowie's Space Oddity (which, coincidentally, was also sent in this round) and I will say I like the original better, but this is still a decent song. I have heard this song before, but not for many years and I didn't recognize it initially, until the chorus kicked in. Upon repeated listens I found myself singing along with it. The next song, Icarus, is another that I'm familiar with, but again hadn't listened to in many years. I think I need to dig out my copy of Masque and give it a spin soon. At any rate, I've always liked Kansas even though they have a handful of songs that I got sick of because of radio overplay (Carry On My Wayward Son, I'm looking at you!). This song is a great proggy styled classic rock song, with some more forward keyboards to kind of tie back into the previous song, even though they are obviously different styles. Omega is next and is probably the biggest departure stylistically from all the other songs here. Having said that, I still think it fits quite well. Especially with how it starts with that very cinematic intro and then flowing into a very neo-proggy sound. The biggest difference is this song delves more into the Progressive Metal side than anything else on here. I like how the song takes the time to breathe in places and slide in and out of different moods. It reminds me a bit of IQ in some respects. This is probably my favorite track on this EP, and I will definitely be checking out the rest of this album. Next is Red Storm and The Outpost, both from the album The Mission. I'm also familiar with these songs and really enjoyed the album when it was released back in 2017, but haven't listened to it in a while. I'll have to rectify that after this roulette. I like Red Storm a lot more than The Outpost, but I can see why they were both chosen for the story and it's not like The Outpost is a bad song, it just has some parts that I don't like all that much. Like the beginning is the part that always bothered me the most, because the keyboards sound so cheesy and out of place. But.....they do tie in quite well with the cheesy '80s keyboards of Major Tom....so there's that. Having said that, this song is what sounds closest to classic Styx out of the two on this EP and if I remember correctly also out of all the songs on the album it's from.
Song Score - 7.6/10

As far as the story goes, Major Tom sets the stage for our protagonist and works quite well. It's upbeat to signify the anticipation for the journey ahead, in which the protagonist is tasked with leading a mission to Mars, in which he is supposed to be the first human stationed there. Icarus works well to create some tension and showcase the stress the protagonist is under with a mission of this magnitude and the anxiety caused by the contemplation of failure and possible death. Storywise Omega is next and is used as a flashback on what our protagonist has left behind, what he has endured to get to this point in his life, and the loss of loved ones. The emotional nature of the song helps with the sentimentality of the story at this point. The last two tracks are where the astronaut finally gets to Mars and has to battle his way through one of Mars' notorious red sand storms, through howling winds to get to the outpost where he will be staying. Now, obviously this story is very inspired by the many movies that have to do with missions to Mars, but that doesn't bother me that it's not wholly original. You also kept the story fairly simple and let the songs do the heavy lifting, which works for the most part. Although it could have used a bit of fleshing out. I'm curious what you will end up bringing to the table for the rest of the roulette.
Story Score - 7/10 + 1 for bonus theme

The way this EP flows is actually pretty good despite not editing anything. The styles all work fairly well together. Although it helps when Major Tom fades out and Icarus starts with a nice mellow keyboard part, then Icarus also fades out, to which Omega starts with another mellow keyboard part.....wait a minute, I see what you did here... :lol The only part I could see needing some editing would be the transition from Omega into Red Storm, but that is a minor quibble. Also I'd say fadeouts are a lazy way out (never did like when artists did that), in this case it's not really your fault since that is how those songs were recorded.
Flow Score - 8/10

Overall Score - 23.6/30

Stadler - Lost In Space?

Elton John – Rocket Man
Pink Floyd – Interstellar Overdrive
Black Sabbath – Into the Void
Kiss – 100,000 Years
Beatles – Across the Universe

First Impression - I'm fairly certain the protagonist was just stoned and he imagined the whole experience.

OK, starting off an EP with Rocket Man is a ballsy move. Lucky for you I didn't ban this album and I love this song. Just a great classic song. Then the EP starts to fall apart. Interstellar Overdrive works well narratively, however, it was never a song I enjoyed much. Granted I haven't gone back to Pink Floyd's first album much over the years. I just think Pink Floyd did the spacey psychedelic rock much better on later albums, like on Meddle or Saucerful of Secrets. So much of the song, I just find more irritating than interesting. We move onto Into the Void, which is quite an enjoyable Sabbath tune, but stylistically it clashes a bit with what came before. I really like the low growl of Butler's bass on this track, especially in contrast to Ozzie's more nasally vocals. It makes for a nice dichotomy. Then the fast part is pretty cool and gets me headbanging. Stylistically, 100,000 Years works in conjunction with Sabbath (although Sabbath is way better), but I just don't like this song. The vocals are bad and the song is a little too simple. Across the Universe is next and is a huge departure from everything before it. Although, I like it ended the EP as kind of a coda to the story.
Song Score - 6.8/10

So another EP that starts with the protagonist heading to Mars. Did you guys all get together before hand and decide to make Mars the theme of the round? :lol At any rate, Rocket Man tells the story well enough about a man wanting to get away from Earth and go somewhere new. And the song does mention Mars. Works for me, so far. Interstellar Overdrive is supposed to denote the journey and subsequently when everything goes wrong. The fact it's instrumental doesn't help with storytelling, but the chaos of the song helps a bit. Makes it sound more like a the soundtrack to a trippy '60s space movie. Into the Void tells why our protagonist left Earth, it's basically destroyed and under Satan's control, but the protagonist decides to come back to try to improve things with the knowledge he has gained on his trip. 100,000 years signifies that he has been gone a long time and things have changed a lot while he was gone and he is not remembered, but he still tries to make things better with the wisdom he has gained in his trip across the universe..........However, I'm fairly certain he was stoned and imagined the whole thing... :D I don't know, in some respects all the songs make lyrical sense, but at the same time it sort of feels disjointed and rushed. Perhaps you tried to cram too much story into an EP length album. I do look forward to what you have coming next. I always feel like you are a wildcard in roulettes :P
Story Score - 6/10 +1 for bonus theme

The way this flows is mostly OK. There are some problems with varying volume levels between songs. Interstellar Overdrive is a bit too loud and the last 3 tracks were too low. The transitions from Rocket Man-Interstellar Overdrive-Into the Void are all fine enough. I had to go back and listen to Into the Void from the original album to see if it also ended the same way, it does not and I wish you hadn't just done a hard fadeout where you did, it was really jarring. You weren't time limited, so I'm not sure what your reasoning was for that. The final transition is fine, although that probably could have done with a brief pause, given the change of style and tone. Just my 2 cents.
Flow Score - 6/10

Overall Score - 19.8/30
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Puppies (Re)Discovery EP Roulette V.4 (Round 1 Results Part 1)
« Reply #571 on: July 10, 2022, 05:18:42 PM »
Well, I'm glad you dug it.  My goal besides the storyline was to mix decades and genres that still felt natural.   

I am noob for sound editing and that may hurt me but I hope the time and effort shows through.  Can't tell you how many times I doubted myself. 
« Last Edit: July 10, 2022, 05:33:20 PM by kingshmegland »
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #572 on: July 10, 2022, 05:29:26 PM »
Results? Wow!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #573 on: July 10, 2022, 05:51:33 PM »
yeah i have an idea of what i wanna do for the history EP but beyond that i haven't thought very far ahead for whatever else i'm gonna do

i think each of the EPs is gonna have a specific genre theme to it with what little thought i've given to fantasy and personal story so far, tho

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #574 on: July 10, 2022, 05:59:19 PM »
Results? Wow!
I'm not messing around this roulette  :lol

Although, like I said earlier, I want to make sure I give you all enough time to put together your EPs. I'd rather have quality work, instead of fast work...
aka Puppies_On_Acid

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #575 on: July 10, 2022, 06:54:12 PM »
Results? Wow!
Here have your results!

TAC - Tempting the Sun

Great Leap Skyward – Junkyard Planet
Amorphis – Sacrifice
Be'Lakor – Sun's Delusion
Lahmia – Elegy For A Dying Sun
Decembre Noir – A Weeping Sunrise

First Impression - Not sure if this was intentional, but the story almost sounds metaphorical for the loss of a loved one, could just be me projecting my own thoughts on the story and me reading more into the lyrics than was intended.

I really like the way this starts out with Junkyard Planet. A very metal song! Fitting for the theme. The song is also very balanced between it's lighter and heavier parts. Reminds me of Devin Townsend at times mixed with some proggy power metal. Sacrifice is next and feels like it pairs well with the first track. I've been an Amorphis fan for almost 20 years now, but there albums have never been what I would consider top tier. Rather they are just another in a long line of very good bands that put out solid albums. This song feels like the status quo for Amorphis to me. I like the atmosphere throughout the song and it reminds a bit of a better version of Evergrey at times. Sun's Delusion is probably one of the more interesting Be'Lakor songs I've heard. I've been sent them in previous roulettes, but never liked them enough to really delve into them much more. This however is some great Melodic Death Metal with some interesting riffing and a cool little instrumental part that is very headbang worthy :2metal: I also really like the drumming in this song, so much so that I started to learn it myself. Nothing overly complicated, but a fun groove. Elegy for a Dying Sun is next with some more Melodic Death Metal. This song doesn't quite grab me the same way as Sun's Delusion, but it's still pretty good. Next we come to my favorite song on the EP, A Weeping Sunrise. What a tour de force this song is! The Death/Doom riffing, the beautiful yet haunting piano, the spoken word bits. It all works so well together. And what a way to end the EP! You almost got the bonus point for best song of the round with this one. So close!
Song Score - 8/10

The story starts out by laying the setting with the state of Earth being, essentially, a junkyard after an apocalypse. The rest of the story comes across like an action filled sci-fi romp made by someone whose science consultant was the homeless man that sleeps behind movie studio. So essentially a Michael Bay movie. Sacrifice tells the story of the man that will be taking on a suicide mission to rewrite Earth's history by resetting the Sun. Sun's Delusion moves to how foolhardy it is for a human to think they can affect anything regarding the sun, let alone reset it/turn back time. Next in Elegy for a Dying Sun it turns out the way they had planned to reset everything actually backfires and causes the death of the Sun prematurely within the next day. This outcome actually makes more scientific sense to me than somehow resetting the sun/turning back time. But I guess that's why they call it Science Fiction...The story ends with A Weeping Sunrise. As the sun's last light winks out, life on Earth comes to an end. This was the song that really hammered into my brain that this whole story could be metaphoric for the loss of a loved one, rather than just the loss of all life due to the loss of the sun. Coupled with some of the lyrics in the other songs it really felt like you were going for more than just a sci-fi story. Like I said, I'm sure I just read way more into it than you intended, but it came across as more than the sum of its parts. Another note, I liked the way you separated the Earth and Sun parts using clean vocals for the Earth part and harsh vocals for the parts involving the Sun. That's a clever little story telling trick that I appreciated. I also like the way the last song really sounds like a dirge for all that is lost. Overall I liked the story, despite some of the cheese, but sometimes you get cheese in your sci-fi :lol I don't know if you saw the movie Sunshine, but it seems like you took some inspiration from that movie.
Story Score - 8.5/10 +1 for bonus theme

Flow-wise, I had some trouble with the way songs faded out completely, only to have the next song slowly fade in. For example the long fade in on Sacrifice was weird, I think the way Junkyard Planet ended and the how Sacrifice starts it afforded you an opportunity for a cool crossfade that would have made the transition seamless. It was just kind of a weird way to stitch things together. I do like the way you left intentional gaps between the 3 acts to denote changes in the story and those transitions actually worked much better for me. Having said all that I know you are new to Audacity and the way it works, so I'll take that into account. Although I'm not going to go easy on you.... ;)
Flow Score - 6.5/10

Overall Score - 24/30
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #576 on: July 10, 2022, 07:00:51 PM »
Well, I'll happily take the 8/10 for the music and the 8.5/10 for the story. I'm pretty happy with those.
But gee whiz, on the editing. :lol

I just finished editing my Fantasy EP, and I think each of the next ones as far as editing are better. I'm having trouble with one transition for my Personal EP, but I'm not sure what to do with it.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #577 on: July 10, 2022, 07:04:04 PM »
Stop crying Tim. Your flow sucked and your still ahead of me. Lol. Tee hee.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #578 on: July 10, 2022, 07:08:11 PM »

Yeah, but I'm still on the first day of results. That puts me third to last..

I mean...the audacity! ;D

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #579 on: July 10, 2022, 07:12:07 PM »
Time to get your constituents to pound the streets. Lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #580 on: July 10, 2022, 07:14:30 PM »

Did the Queen type that post for you?? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #581 on: July 10, 2022, 07:18:36 PM »

Did the Queen type that post for you?? :lol

I've typed it so many times it pops up for me thankfully.   

Technology Tim. Lol

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #582 on: July 10, 2022, 07:20:53 PM »
I feel like I need to apologize for the long winded writeups, but I just have a lot to say on all these, so y'all will just have to deal with it  :)
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #583 on: July 10, 2022, 07:22:54 PM »
It's not like Stads posts. Love you Stads. XXX OOO

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #584 on: July 10, 2022, 07:26:19 PM »
I feel like I need to apologize for the long winded writeups, but I just have a lot to say on all these, so y'all will just have to deal with it  :)

Your writeup for me was great, but I did find the Flow portion a bit longwinded. :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #585 on: July 10, 2022, 07:27:16 PM »

Your writeup for me was great, but I did find the Flow portion a bit longwinded. :lol

You f'ing bitch.  :lol

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #586 on: July 10, 2022, 07:29:03 PM »

Round 2 TAC flow section preview:

Flow sucked. :)
0/10
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #587 on: July 10, 2022, 07:35:31 PM »
No fucking way. I'm all crossfaded and shit. :metal  :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #588 on: July 10, 2022, 08:01:29 PM »

Been thinking about this. You should've included Dennis DeYoung!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #589 on: July 10, 2022, 08:06:38 PM »
Oh, and @ Pup, I have never even heard of the movie Sunrise.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #590 on: July 10, 2022, 08:06:47 PM »
Sure, if he wrote a kick ass song about Mars and not about his wife. That pussy.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #591 on: July 10, 2022, 08:10:14 PM »
Sure, if he wrote a kick ass song about Mars and not about his wife. That pussy.

You don't think he'd be singing "These are the best of times" as he landed his rocket ship?

Wait a minute...his wife is Mr. Roboto??

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #592 on: July 10, 2022, 08:13:11 PM »
You know it's yooouuuuu babe...

Now you are my bitches!@ I made a #1 song!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #593 on: July 10, 2022, 08:16:11 PM »

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #594 on: July 10, 2022, 08:17:08 PM »
Exactly. It's a ham sammich.