Author Topic: Puppies (Re)Discovery EP Roulette V.4 (The Final Art!)  (Read 78857 times)

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: Puppies' (Re)Discovery EP Roulette V.4 (Signups Open!)
« Reply #35 on: June 26, 2022, 05:02:22 PM »
Yeah, I thought the 6 inch spike comment was a bit weird. But you're weird so I didn't question it. :lol

Right over your head. Lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #36 on: June 26, 2022, 08:48:07 PM »
When's the cut off before this gets started?  This seems like a time consuming roulette but challenging and definitely some fun.  I need to think if I'll actually invest the time. 

The story part scares me though.
When's the cut off before this gets started?  This seems like a time consuming roulette but challenging and definitely some fun.  I need to think if I'll actually invest the time. 

The story part scares me though.
Yeah, I want to join, but not sure I can put in the time for it, I'll see if join but have to think about it first lol
I'm leaving signups open through next weekend, and then giving everyone a few days after that to finalize their round 1 EPs. So you basically have a week and a half before round 1 officially starts. I realize this will be a bit of a time investment for y'all, so I'll be giving people a reasonable amount of time to come up with EPs. At the same time I don't want to be grinding the whole roulette to a halt between each round. It's going to be a balancing act to keep everyone engaged.

I can pencil you both in for now, just let me know if you won't be participating. I'd love to have both of you, since I don't think either of you participated in any of my past roulettes.  :metal
aka Puppies_On_Acid
My last.fm | My Rate Your Music Page
Quote from: Podaar
King's Photoshop powers are akin to a three year old cutting faces out of photographs with the edge of a dull spoon and pasting them in place with garden shovel full of Gorilla Glue.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #37 on: June 26, 2022, 08:53:40 PM »
Okay, a week before we even start helps.  Sign me up, can't promise much but let's see.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #38 on: June 26, 2022, 09:07:49 PM »
I need to dig up my modified Ariich hangman spreadsheet. :corn
aka Puppies_On_Acid
King's Photoshop powers are akin to a three year old cutting faces out of photographs with the edge of a dull spoon and pasting them in place with garden shovel full of Gorilla Glue.

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #39 on: June 27, 2022, 10:51:15 PM »

- I prefer EPs be edited to one track for the sake of flow, but I understand if you cannot do this or are time limited, in which case you can just send me a song list or a Spotify playlist, just know that this can affect the flow significantly.
- If you do edit your EPs together, please send timestamps of where the track splits are
- With regards to flow, you don't necessarily have to have each track flow right into the next, there can be a pause from one track to the next, but jarring cuts from one song to the next will negatively impact the flow score. At the same time songs that can be elegantly weaved together will significantly improve your flow score.

Being a fogey, I'm obviously having trouble with my flow. ;D

I mean, I wouldn't call the ending and beginning of my songs jarring, but they are clearly separate songs. I mean, are you basically looking for a 35 minute SONG, or a collection of songs that tell a story? I've never bought an EP where every song weaves into the next one.

Minor gripage I guess.
Just wanted to touch on something again here. The tracks composing your EPs do not have to all run together as one long song. If one track leading to the next doesn't warrant it, then so be it.

To give an example of how I go about editing together EPs, I intentionally look for tracks that can be edited in such a way that they will flow together without the listener really noticing. Sometimes that means chopping off portions of the beginning or end of the songs in question or crossfading them at key points. I've even gone so far as to edit sections of a song onto other places to make things flow correctly. Then there are times where I let the songs be and let them naturally end and then begin the next song. Sometimes I will add an additional gap if a song starts too abruptly after the previous one. Sometimes there needs to be a brief moment in between tracks.

It's really all in how you see your EP playing out, how you want it to flow, how you want the songs portrayed. A lot of times the music has just as much to do with the telling of the story as the lyrics do when I'm compiling tracks together for an EP or concept album.

Hopefully this helps.  :)
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #40 on: June 27, 2022, 11:11:14 PM »
Okay I'm in on this.  I'm more looking at the EP from a story point of view as opposed to a song flow point of view as I would have thought a story would be more importan..  Not sure what's more important but its gonna be a big ask to nail both.

Or are we thinking the themes can be recurring themes through the EP of the songs without a story attached?

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #41 on: June 27, 2022, 11:18:49 PM »
Okay I'm in on this.  I'm more looking at the EP from a story point of view as opposed to a song flow point of view as I would have thought a story would be more importan..  Not sure what's more important but its gonna be a big ask to nail both.

Or are we thinking the themes can be recurring themes through the EP of the songs without a story attached?
I'd say the story is more important to nail. I will be more forgiving of flow as long as there aren't awkward/jarring cuts from one song to the next or extreme genre shifts between songs, unless the story warrants it. Having said that, I'd still like to see some effort put into it  :lol
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #42 on: June 28, 2022, 05:09:31 AM »
Will be hard to do when you're using different bands, especially making it sound legit and somewhat seamless.  I'm up for the challenge, got some ideas for round 1.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #43 on: June 28, 2022, 05:32:57 AM »

- I prefer EPs be edited to one track for the sake of flow, but I understand if you cannot do this or are time limited, in which case you can just send me a song list or a Spotify playlist, just know that this can affect the flow significantly.
- If you do edit your EPs together, please send timestamps of where the track splits are
- With regards to flow, you don't necessarily have to have each track flow right into the next, there can be a pause from one track to the next, but jarring cuts from one song to the next will negatively impact the flow score. At the same time songs that can be elegantly weaved together will significantly improve your flow score.

I mean, I wouldn't call the ending and beginning of my songs jarring, but they are clearly separate songs. I mean, are you basically looking for a 35 minute SONG, or a collection of songs that tell a story? I've never bought an EP where every song weaves into the next one.

Minor gripage I guess.
Just wanted to touch on something again here. The tracks composing your EPs do not have to all run together as one long song. If one track leading to the next doesn't warrant it, then so be it.

To give an example of how I go about editing together EPs, I intentionally look for tracks that can be edited in such a way that they will flow together without the listener really noticing. Sometimes that means chopping off portions of the beginning or end of the songs in question or crossfading them at key points. I've even gone so far as to edit sections of a song onto other places to make things flow correctly. Then there are times where I let the songs be and let them naturally end and then begin the next song. Sometimes I will add an additional gap if a song starts too abruptly after the previous one. Sometimes there needs to be a brief moment in between tracks.

It's really all in how you see your EP playing out, how you want it to flow, how you want the songs portrayed. A lot of times the music has just as much to do with the telling of the story as the lyrics do when I'm compiling tracks together for an EP or concept album.

Yes it helps. It helps to make me feel worse.  :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #44 on: June 28, 2022, 05:58:22 AM »
I think I'll give this a try....... if you'll have me.

Bands... can you only use a band once?  I know what the OP says, artists are not banned, but does that mean for the person that originally used them?  Meaning, can I have a Kiss song in each EP, as long as it's different?

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #45 on: June 28, 2022, 06:00:46 AM »

Minor gripage I guess.

Yes it helps. It helps to make me feel worse.  :lol

:lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #46 on: June 28, 2022, 06:37:35 AM »
Put my first playlist together.  I want to listen to the flow today and then tighten up the story.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #47 on: June 28, 2022, 07:47:04 AM »

Bands... can you only use a band once?  I know what the OP says, artists are not banned, but does that mean for the person that originally used them?  Meaning, can I have a Kiss song in each EP, as long as it's different?
You're in...
Although now I'm debating if I want to listen to Kiss in every round.  :lol
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #48 on: June 28, 2022, 08:00:41 AM »
Dear Penthouse, This is a story about a guy needing to release some steam with his love gun.  Ladies were waiting in the ladies room.  All asking to take me.

You're welcome Stads.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #49 on: June 28, 2022, 11:32:14 AM »
Dear Penthouse, This is a story about a guy needing to release some steam with his love gun.  Ladies were waiting in the ladies room.  All asking to take me.

You're welcome Stads.

I'm stealing that.  :)

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #50 on: June 28, 2022, 11:55:20 AM »
Ah the memories.  :lol

Offline faizoff

« Reply #51 on: June 28, 2022, 12:39:05 PM »
This sounds like a lot of fun, not sure I can commit the time for each round though. I'll have to think about this.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #52 on: June 28, 2022, 01:15:49 PM »

You're in...
Although now I'm debating if I want to listen to Kiss in every round.  :lol

Music From The Stadler.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #53 on: June 28, 2022, 01:17:18 PM »
That's a good title Tim. :lol

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #54 on: June 28, 2022, 01:45:02 PM »
Stealing that, too.   :) :)

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #55 on: June 28, 2022, 06:41:34 PM »
Stealing that, too.   :) :)
At least I know what to expect  :lol
aka Puppies_On_Acid

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
Note: I've adjusted the scoring system to be more balanced across criteria, while still putting some emphasis on story and flow.
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
So, I've been noodling on this for a few days now, and

I won't be doing any of the editing to improve the flow (see prior post on the matter), and am having a helluva time coming up with story ideas, much less writing the actual story - regardless of the themes.  Since I'll be failing so hard on 2/3rds of the purpose of this roulette, I don't mind gracefully bowing out.  But, if you're still willing to listen to my submissions, I have an alternative idea that still fits the mould of what you want - I'll PM you.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Don't be such a pussy. You didn't gracefully bow out. You fucking QUIT! What, do you want to bask in your victory a bit longer before returning to Loserville?

;D

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Actually Chad, Puppies smoothing out the scoring is a big thing actually.

Say you get 8 points for your songs, 8 points for your story, and 7 for your flow...that's a 23. I think all scores are going to range from 21-26 anyway. As long as you choose decent songs with a relatable theme, you should be able to weave some loose narrative around it.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
Tim, I didn't know you had long arms?

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
So, I've been noodling on this for a few days now, and

I won't be doing any of the editing to improve the flow (see prior post on the matter), and am having a helluva time coming up with story ideas, much less writing the actual story - regardless of the themes.  Since I'll be failing so hard on 2/3rds of the purpose of this roulette, I don't mind gracefully bowing out.  But, if you're still willing to listen to my submissions, I have an alternative idea that still fits the mould of what you want - I'll PM you.

I am disappoint.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
Wow, Chad.  That's weak.   Why don't you ask your wife if she wants to play?  :) :) :) :)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Wow, Chad.  That's weak.   Why don't you ask your wife if she wants to play?  :) :) :) :)

:lol

Tim, I didn't know you had long arms?

WUT? Is that from a movie or something?

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
I didn't know you could bitch slap Chad when you were so low in Reaps standings for his roulette. 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I didn't know you could bitch slap Chad when you were so low in Reaps standings for his roulette.

Oh gotcha. Just shows the illegitimacy of Reaper's roulette.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
So you're throwing Reap under the bus too?!  Bad TAC, Bad TAC.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Well, he was the one with the upside down standings.. :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni

Well, he was the one with the upside down standings.. :lol

:lol  Only in your mind.  LOL

So, I think I'm ready to send the 1st round here.  I'll just need to type out the storyline.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Same here. I have my PM basically formatted..songs, timestamps, fonts... Just need to write some text.