Author Topic: Puppies (Re)Discovery EP Roulette V.4 (The Final Art!)  (Read 81966 times)

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Re: Puppies (Re)Discovery EP Roulette V.4 ((Hopefully) Brief Hiatus)
« Reply #1960 on: September 02, 2022, 02:18:08 AM »
I'm not sure I'd really have time to put into another round, but I'm 100% fine with the hiatus taking as long as you need. There's no need to rush and you should not feel any pressure to entertain us in the meantime!

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #1961 on: September 02, 2022, 02:41:46 AM »
Just been catching up on this emotional roller coaster of a roulette.

So sorry for your loss Puppies, I can't imagine what you must be going through  :heart

And reading up on everyone else's heartwrenching stories as well. DTF really does bring people closer together and give people a space to talk about things they may not in their day to day lives. DTFers, you are some beautiful souls.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #1962 on: September 02, 2022, 03:01:26 AM »
yeah i'm not sure i'd have the time (or the tunes) for a bonus round but however long you need is fine

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1963 on: September 02, 2022, 06:21:21 AM »
I'm 100% fine with the hiatus taking as long as you need. There's no need to rush and you should not feel any pressure to entertain us in the meantime!

Oh yeah absolutely.

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1964 on: September 02, 2022, 06:32:02 AM »
Maybe have a comedy/fun EP round instead, or go right to the concept album, or whatever..
So, this may not be a bad idea. I can put this round on the backburner and do a bonus round. Maybe make it a "light-hearted/upbuilding/feel-good" themed round. No real story necessary, just keep it within that theme. What do you guys think? Then after that I will circle back around to the "Personal Story" round.

I have a playlist in my iTunes library called "Happy Happy, Joy Joy".  I would gladly curate something from there for ya.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1965 on: September 02, 2022, 06:40:06 AM »
Actually if it was like an "interlude" round that didn't contribute to the scores but was just for fun, then I'd probably be up for that. That way, it would also be optional for anyone who for whatever reason isn't able to participate.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #1966 on: September 02, 2022, 06:19:14 PM »
Actually if it was like an "interlude" round that didn't contribute to the scores but was just for fun, then I'd probably be up for that. That way, it would also be optional for anyone who for whatever reason isn't able to participate.
This is pretty much what I was thinking. I just need something to occupy my mind so I don't go crazy or fall into a void of depression. Not an official round. Just anyone that would like to throw something together for me and send it over. I'll even give a few thoughts on it, perhaps next week sometime when I have the time to really type something out.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1967 on: September 02, 2022, 06:32:32 PM »
A free round to make you laugh?  Yes. I'm all for laughs and helping in times of need.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Deadeye21

• 30 years say we’re in this together
« Reply #1968 on: September 02, 2022, 09:29:11 PM »
The YtseJam Records of EP Roulette rounds. It happened and it kinda counts, but it’s really not in the main line of releases. No big concerts, just upbeat tunes.

Maybe we take off the banned band list too abd it’s just a “what makes you happy” list?  Kinda an offshoot of the personal EPS in that we’ll all have different songs that make us happy.
Let's go with a P for Deadeye has premature alphabetejaculation.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1969 on: September 02, 2022, 10:02:06 PM »
The YtseJam Records of EP Roulette rounds. It happened and it kinda counts, but it’s really not in the main line of releases. No big concerts, just upbeat tunes.

Maybe we take off the banned band list too abd it’s just a “what makes you happy” list?  Kinda an offshoot of the personal EPS in that we’ll all have different songs that make us happy.
Yeah, no banned list. Go wild!
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1970 on: September 08, 2022, 06:15:09 PM »
Just want to say thanks to Jingle for sending me a bunch of happy/feel good music. Made my week!

I'm hoping to try listening to the round 4 EPs again starting next week or the week after (we'll see how it goes) and try to get this roulette back on track.
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1971 on: September 08, 2022, 06:33:18 PM »
I sent happy feel good music for Round 4 anyway! :lol

No rush, Chris. No rush at all. :)
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Deadeye21

« Reply #1972 on: September 18, 2022, 05:28:46 AM »
How are you doing, mate? Just wanted to check in and send my best wishes.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1973 on: September 18, 2022, 01:23:31 PM »
Thanks for checking in. I'm basically taking it a day at a time. I've slowly been getting more active on the forum and I haven't forgotten about this roulette, but it just hasn't been on my list of priorities at the moment.

I will return in full force. So get your final round submissions ready at some point in the near future...
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1974 on: September 18, 2022, 01:27:30 PM »
Thanks for checking in. I'm basically taking it a day at a time. I've slowly been getting more active on the forum and I haven't forgotten about this roulette, but it just hasn't been on my list of priorities at the moment.

I will return in full force. So get your final round submissions ready at some point in the near future...

It's ready!

Yes and glad to see you posting.

No rush, man. None at all.

Deadeye on the other hand....let's fucking go!!! :lol

Offline Deadeye21

« Reply #1975 on: September 18, 2022, 06:08:58 PM »

It's ready!

Yes and glad to see you posting.

No rush, man. None at all.

Deadeye on the other hand....let's fucking go!!! :lol

Bro, like no one’s attempted first impressions on this one. Planning to do my one by one again today.

• DTF.org Member
Re: Puppies (Re)Discovery EP Roulette V.4 (And We're Back!)
« Reply #1976 on: September 25, 2022, 03:05:32 AM »
First of all, let me say thank you to everyone for being patient with me while I was dealing with personal matters. I'll tell you, this has been one of the hardest months of my life. Dealing with my own feelings, seeing the absolute anguish of the 2 families that lost someone, managing the fallout, etc etc. Things are still slowly getting better and I feel like I'm in the right headspace to continue this now. So thanks again to all of you. :hug:

So on with the first batch of results for round 4. These have been a long time coming. I also included some "remastered" cover art for the albums too. I wasn't completely happy with all of them, so I improved some of them.

Wolfking - The Wolf

1. Mastodon - The Wolf is Loose (0:00)
2. Blaze - Blood and Belief (3:29)
3. Saxon - Night of the Wolf (9:24)
4. Tribulation - Hour of the Wolf (13:23)
5. Megadeth - She-Wolf (17:31)
6. King Diamond - Follow the Wolf (21:01)
7. Wolfheart - The Hunt (24:27)
8. Green Carnation - Hounds (29:16)

First Impression - I think you Stadler'd your song choices here ;)

This starts off kickin with a band that should have probably been banned, but meh. The Wolf is Loose is such a banger of a Mastodon track and starts this off fantastically. Not much to say about it musically other than it's just a fantastic track. Next is another Blaze song. I'm getting exposed to more Blaze than I had hoped in this roulette, but at the same time I haven't regretted listening to either Blaze track so far. This one isn't exactly as good as the other one you sent me, but it's still a far cry better than anything he did with Maiden. The song might be a little longer than necessary, but not terribly so. I mean I can't really say where the track should be cut down. I especially like the chorus here, it worms its way into my brain and then the little instrumental section just after the first chorus is pretty sweet. I guess I'm going to have to finally give in and listen to some Blaze solo stuff. Thanks Kade....I guess ;) After this we get Night of the Wolf by Saxon. This is another one of those bands that I always meant to check out more, but always managed to slip past me. I'm not sure I really like the singers vocals a lot here. I kind of have the same issues with him as I do Tobias Sammet. The way he uses his vibrato and the obvious limits on range. It's not terrible, just not my cup of tea, if that makes sense. Instrumentally this is pretty nice even if the drummer is a bit boring. Would have loved to hear the drummer change things up a bit more and add a few more interesting flares. Hour of the Wolf starts off interesting, but falls into what I call Amon Amarthisms. Other than some of the cool atmospheric keyboard parts, this song doesn't really capture my interest much. Feels very death metal by numbers. Then we get She-Wolf and let me just cut right to the chase. Why didn't Dave Mustaine ever see fit to hire a proper vocalist. He is a gifted guitarist for sure, but the exact opposite on the mic. I know some people think he fits perfectly fronting Megadeth, but I beg to differ. This song shows both qualities in spades. Great guitar licks and bad vocals :P Follow the Wolf brings things back up a bit. There's no denying King Diamonds ability to sing and hit some incredible falsetto notes. The problem with King Diamond's solo stuff, and by extension Mercyful Fate, is there is a certain quality to the music that just does not resonate with me at all. It's all seemingly perfectly executed, but it just doesn't do anything for me. Having said all that, this song is sprinkled with all kinds of cool parts. Like cool lead guitar flares, the aforementioned falsetto moments, and even some great drumming. Next is The Hunt by Wolfheart. If I'm not mistaken the frontman for this band is also the guy behind Black Sun Aeon, which I really like. Never listened to Wolfheart before now though. I actually really like this. Especially that 2 minute intro before the vocals kick in. Then the song just kind of kicks your face in. Great use of melody in the guitar leads and pummeling drums has me headbanging to this quite a bit :metal At times this reminds me of Insomnium and Enshine a little bit. Great song! Finishing things off we have Hounds. Green Carnation is another band I'm quite familiar with, but really only their first 2 albums. I know I gave the album this song comes from a listen back when it first came out, but don't remember it at all. This song goes through a lot of shifting styles and moods and I like it, especially as the closer here. I like the generous use of what sounds like Hammond organ and the great melodies throughout. Overall the first and last 2 songs of this EP are great, but the whole middle section just doesn't really do it for me musically.
Song Score - 7.7/10

I really like the way you tied your story in with the whole wolf theme throughout this. I can totally see where you are coming from in the story. The feeling of being stuck in a job and even though you are good at it and enjoy it to an extent, you wonder if this is what you are supposed to be doing, if there's more out there. Am I doing the right thing? Am I missing out? Should I make a change in my life? If so, what do I change? Where do I go from here? These are questions I've asked myself at times in my life. And then the whole part about looking back and realising the mistakes you've made and wondering what you could have done differently, I can relate to that so well. I think we all at one time or another wish we could go back and redo something in our lives. The She-Wolf and Follow the Wolf part is definitely relatable too. I can see my wife in some of the lyrics to those songs as well. Then closing out the story with Hounds is kind of brilliant, giving some closure, yet at the same time leaves so many questions in life....
Story Score - 9.5/10 +1 for bonus theme

For the most part I like the way this flows. I like the way you transitioned between Mastodon and Blaze on the beat. Also the acoustic guitar outro of Saxon to the electric guitar intro of Tribulation sounds similar and makes for a decent transition. But it's the last 3 songs that all flow together almost perfectly. The rest is all serviceable.
Flow Score - 8/10

Total Score - 26.2/30

TAC - Not Gonna Do It

1. Smiling-Shopping Cart 0:00
2. Persefone-Returning To The Source 1:53
3. James Labrie-Undecided 8:32
4. VOLA-Controllable 13:52
5. Death-A Moment Of Clarity 18:52
6. Horchata Network-Shopping Cart Chorale 27:49

First Impression - OMG...

So starting off with Shopping Cart (I guess we are getting a meme story ;) ), never heard of this band, never heard this song before. Perfect! What a way to set the tone of the album. It's really just an intro to the EP as a whole. Silly song.... Followed by something completely different, Returning to the Source. I've always been a fan of Persefone. Although the album this song is from is not my favorite, that would be either Aathma or Core. The biggest issue I have with this album is the herky jerky rhythms in most of the songs, they just don't appeal to me nearly as much as their other albums. I don't really know how to describe it. This song definitely has its moments of greatness, but sometimes it gets in its own way. Next we come to a song from an album I haven't thought about in a long time, even though I used to listen to this album a ton when it came out, Undecided. The problem is this album has not aged well for me at all. There are lots of issues that I tended to overlook when I was younger and my musical palette was much smaller. I had just gotten into Dream Theater in 2003 and wanted to take in any and everything even semi-related to the band, so of course this album made it into my rotation heavily. These days I have acquired so much music and in way more genres and styles than back then, this is one of the casualties of my changing standards. The sound is really brickwalled, the riffs are a little pedestrian, Mangini's drumming is weirdly unimaginative, the bass is buried in the mix, and it sounds dated to me these days. The one redeeming thing here is James sounds pretty good. Next is Controllable by VOLA. I had not heard this song before, because its from an old EP that I've never listened to before. I really enjoyed VOLA's first album a lot and this is a fair bit different. This sounds more like a band trying to find their sound. Not that it doesn't have some cool stuff going on, like the cool little keyboard parts and the occasionally quirky vocal bits. However this is missing a lot of the uniqueness that the band would go on to explore on their debut album. Good, but not great. Up next is A Moment of Clarity and now we are talking! This is from one of the very few albums that I overlook the poor production because the music contained within is just so good! Does the production suck? Yes. Does Richard Christy sometimes go overboard on the drums? Yes. Is the music sometimes too technical for its own good? Yes. However Chuck Schuldiner was a musical genius and this song and by extension the whole album is a tour de force of musical extremes. It's too bad that Chuck passed away at such a young age from pneumonia which was the result of his cancer treatment. I often wonder if Mike Portnoy would have ever ended up working with Chuck at some point had he not died. Anyway I digress, this song is amazing! And lastly we come to the "hidden track" Shopping Cart Chorale. Between the opening track and this one I definitely got a good laugh out of this EP.
Song Score - 7.5/10

So I'm aware of the Shopping Cart thread here. I believe I even participated in it a little. I can't remember if someone ultimately got the thread locked, but it was amusing back in the day. I like that you took this route for your personal story. I got a good laugh every time I listened to it. Especially with the personal tragedy I recently suffered it was a welcome reprieve from the more heavy personal story EP's I got this round. The song choices worked well for the story, even if they were a little cryptic at times. I even like how you did the little interlude sound of someone pushing a shopping cart in between Controllable and A Moment of Clarity. And even going so far as to putting a hidden track at the end and then a voice saying "Not gonna do it" at the end. Well played sir!
Story Score - 9/10 +1 for bonus theme

Now I know we've gone back and forth on this whole flow thing and I think it's the one thing that has pissed most of you off in this roulette the most. I'm just gonna start out here by saying it's an almost intangible thing, ineffable, if you will. Sometimes it's hard to describe why one thing works for me and another doesn't. Having said all that, I think this might be your best one yet. I can tell you are learning Audacity more, you even reached out to me a couple times on how to do certain things with the program. So your willingness to try to appeal to my sense of how an album should flow shows effort at the very least. The crossfade between Returning to the Source and Undecided was well timed. Then hitting Controllable on the beat was inspired, if not perfect because of the drastic change in production and abrupt key change.
Flow Score - 9/10

Total Score - 26.5/30

Jingle - Teenage Wasteland

Geoff Hughes - Happy Birthday Kid
Mr. Mister - Broken Wings
Bonnie Tyler - Holding Out for a Hero
Triumph - Magic Power
Arthemis - Alone (Acoustic Version)
Red Dawn - Flyin' High
Damnation's Day - Begin Again

First Impression - I see what you did there :neverusethis:
Best song of the round - Magic Power

Starting with Happy Birthday Kid, this is a bit of a quirky song. I have never heard this song before. Or if I have, I didn't realize it. In fact I've never heard of Geoff Hughes either. Glenn Hughes sure, but not this guy. Anyway, I digress. This isn't exactly might jam when it comes to music. It isn't a bad song, but not something I would purposely put on. I get why it's here, but we will get to that in the story section. Next is a song that I've always liked and one of those songs that brings me back to my childhood. This is one of those songs that would come onto the radio when I was driving around with my mom. It has a nice atmospheric quality to it, along with a great buildup. There's also some great drumming (what little of it there is) here by......Pat Mastelotto? Huh, I had no idea he was the drummer on this song or was even in this band. I, of course, know him from King Crimson....weird. Anyway, I love this song, unashamedly so. Great pick, not only musically, but to also scratch that nostalgia itch. Next is another childhood song memory, Holding Out for a Hero. This song is definitely of its time, very '80s sounding, but no less enjoyable. But wait why is it fading out so soon......Oh I see what you did there.........Oh wait, what's this? Another band doing the same song. You clever bastard! That was cool. We'll circle back to this in the story section as well. Now moving on to Magic Power. I absolutely love Triumph and I absolutely love this song. However that wasn't always the case. When I was a kid, my dad loved Triumph more than Rush and back then I was a Rush or nothing music listener, so I didn't want to listen to a Rush-sound-a-like. I came to my senses later in life. This particular song was also a grower. Even after I gave Triumph a proper chance this song didn't immediately click with me. Years later it came on randomly one day and it all just fell into place. I kind of place this on the same pedestal as The Spirit of Radio. It's a reminder to me of the importance of music in my life (yours as well, but once again, we will come back to this in the story section). Anyway this is one of those perfect 10 songs. Not much else to say about it. Although I can't help but wonder if The Spirit of Radio would have made it onto this EP if I hadn't banned Rush. No matter. Next we get into another song I hadn't heard before, Alone. Arthemis isn't a band I've ever listened to before. I'm going to have to listen to the original version of this song at some point, but this acoustic version is pretty nice. Although the muted drums in the background are more distracting and annoying that beneficial to the song. They should have just stuck to the sporadic floor tom hits to add to the atmosphere of the song. Would have made the song feel more powerful. Don't get me wrong, I do like this a fair amount, but it could have been better. The vocals also stand out here. We come to another song I've never heard, although now that I think about it, my dad may have had this album in his collection when I was a kid. I'll have to ask him. The album cover looks familiar. Flyin' High is a pure early '90s hard rock song, not dissimilar to something by Hardline. The vocalist also sounds familiar, but I can't place him. Anyway, this song sounds so triumphant and upbeat, I even like the somewhat cheesy keyboard flourishes sprinkled throughout. The song does get a tad repetitive, but eh... Lastly we have Begin Again. I could have sworn someone sent Damnation's Day to me in one of my roulettes, but I couldn't find it. I thought it was you, but perhaps not. Anyway, this song is great. Well sung, great lead guitar tone and solos, and it doesn't overstay its welcome. Fantastic! Overall a good showing of music.
Song Score - 8.5/10 +1 for best song of the round

So this story, or an autobiography told in music, if you will, is well told through not only the lyrics, but the way this was edited and the music contained within. You talked about why you chose Happy Birthday kid in the PM you sent me and I get it. It works for the story. I also like the way you used Broken Wings and interpreted the lyrics to fit your story. I can see them working either way. Perhaps the coolest thing you did story-wise was throwing the opening line of Black Dog in the middle of Holding Out for a Hero, but more than that transitioning the song from the original Bonnie Tyler version to the metal cover version. Thematically this was the coolest storytelling device used in this whole round, in my opinion. It works beautifully by representing the wide world that was introduced to you so long ago and that change from a casual radio listener to a lover of music. I had a similar revelation the first time I heard Tom Sawyer, then some lesser revelations later in life the first time I heard Fight Fire with Fire by Metallica and then The Glass Prison. It's those certain songs that make you want to explore deeper into all kinds of music. I love following that up with Magic Power as the pure joy of discovering and listening to music. Then there's the downward spiral of Alone and Flyin High and then the climb back out of being a teenage shit with Begin Again. I appreciate the story and the way it was told.
Story Score - 10/10 +1 for bonus theme

So the flow here isn't perfect, but nor is it bad. These songs all stand alone as their own entities, telling snippets of the story. Although there are flashes of brilliance, like in the aforementioned transitions within Holding Out for a Hero. Also the way the songs slowly change in style to show your musical growth and discovery helps keep things flowing well enough. Nothing stood out as being out of place either.
Flow Score - 8/10

Total Score - 28.5/30
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1977 on: September 25, 2022, 04:02:05 AM »
Woah!  We're back alright!  Glad to see you back Chris.  I'm really happy with that score.  I knew a few of those songs wouldn't work but worked with the story, so no regrets.

Tim's EP is fantastic and creative, love it.

Well done Chad, amazing score!

I guess I have to finish my album now.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Deadeye21

« Reply #1978 on: September 25, 2022, 05:07:27 AM »
Holy hell, this is possibly the best thing I’ve ever seen. Welcome back Puppies!

That Wolf artwork is amazing. I’m looking forward to seeing my writeup, since my first impression was so positive.

Guess I’d better follow in wolf’s footsteps and do my album. No idea what my story will be there.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1979 on: September 25, 2022, 05:11:16 AM »
Holy hell, this is possibly the best thing I’ve ever seen. Welcome back Puppies!

That Wolf artwork is amazing. I’m looking forward to seeing my writeup, since my first impression was so positive.

Guess I’d better follow in wolf’s footsteps and do my album. No idea what my story will be there.

Woah!  Really mate?   :lol

Offline Deadeye21

« Reply #1980 on: September 25, 2022, 05:17:46 AM »
Holy hell, this is possibly the best thing I’ve ever seen. Welcome back Puppies!.

I’m just excited to see a forum friend feel able to get back to it, man. Maybe it’s an over exaggeration but I’m genuinely excited and happy nonetheless.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1981 on: September 25, 2022, 05:36:08 AM »
Holy hell, this is possibly the best thing I’ve ever seen. Welcome back Puppies!.

I’m just excited to see a forum friend feel able to get back to it, man. Maybe it’s an over exaggeration but I’m genuinely excited and happy nonetheless.

I know mate!  :metal

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1982 on: September 25, 2022, 06:50:14 AM »
First of all, let me say thank you to everyone for being patient with me while I was dealing with personal matters. I'll tell you, this has been one of the hardest months of my life. Dealing with my own feelings, seeing the absolute anguish of the 2 families that lost someone, managing the fallout, etc etc. Things are still slowly getting better and I feel like I'm in the right headspace to continue this now. So thanks again to all of you. :hug:
While things may well never quite feel normal again, I'm really glad to hear you're feeling well enough again to be able to participate in things you enjoy. Hope the upward trend continues!

Looking forward to the rest of this roulette. Just finished making some tweaks to my concept album a couple of days ago!

I be am boner inducing.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1983 on: September 25, 2022, 01:19:55 PM »
Woah!  We're back alright!  Glad to see you back Chris.  I'm really happy with that score.  I knew a few of those songs wouldn't work but worked with the story, so no regrets.

Tim's EP is fantastic and creative, love it.

Well done Chad, amazing score!

I guess I have to finish my album now.

While things may well never quite feel normal again, I'm really glad to hear you're feeling well enough again to be able to participate in things you enjoy. Hope the upward trend continues!

Looking forward to the rest of this roulette. Just finished making some tweaks to my concept album a couple of days ago!
Thanks all for the warm welcome back!  :)

Cyril - As the Crow Flies

1. fun. - Be Calm
2. glass beach - glass beach
3. La Dispute - King Park
4. Actor | Observer - Dilettante
5. Actor | Observer - Pareidolia
6. Spanish Love Songs - Brave Faces, Everyone
7. Mew - Comforting Sounds

First Impression - This ends perfectly, but the rest....

This starts off with Be Calm by fun. I've listened to fun. in the past, without much success. My wife likes them, I have several friends that likes them, but they just never clicked with me. There's a lot of bits in here that remind me a bit of Kiss Kiss (the quirkiness, the use of lots of different instruments, the almost progressive slant), but it's just not on the same level of Kiss Kiss. It wouldn't surprise me if fun. was influenced by Kiss Kiss though. They are from the same general area after all. Anyway, I don't hate the song, it just doesn't grab me in any meaningful way. Glass Beach kind of follows a similar sound although much much better and closer to the quality of Kiss Kiss. In fact you sent this to me in my last roulette, so my thoughts on the song haven't changed much. It has that quirky, angular sound that I like in more avant-garde leaning music. The music is varied and interesting without ever delving into Cardiacs circus ridiculousness. Next is a song from La Dispute. A band I've been meaning to check out for a long time. This particular song, King Park, has a similar sound to bands like Cursive or Glassjaw. The problem here is the song doesn't really capture my interest. Even after multiple listens, I just don't know, it's ehhh.... Cursive does this style better, even Glassjaw's older material does this sound better. Nothing here makes me want to go give the album a listen. On the other hand the loud/quiet dynamic is done fairly well and the ending is quite emotionally driven and hard hitting. It's just everything else that doesn't work for me. After this we get a pair of Actor | Observer songs, Dilettante and Pareidolia. Really it's the closing tracks on its respective album. This is an album that I really like, but haven't listened to in a while. Glad to hear this again. It hits hard, the vocals are filled with passion, and man do these guys know how to write a good melodic hook. I mean Dilettante's chorus is just so catchy, it gets stuck in my head for long after I listen to it. And Pareidolia is a slow burn into a massive explosion filled with emotion. The quieter parts are filled with a dream-like atmosphere that I find comparable to some of BtBaM's quieter parts on their Alaska album, which I love. Both tracks are just great great stuff! Next we have Brave Faces, Everyone by Spanish Love Songs. This is a band I've seen thrown about in roulettes for a while now, but never actually gave them a spin until now. This song leans much more heavily into that midwest emo sound. I'm not sure I'm completely convinced by the vocals here, but the melodies and instrumentation are both quite captivating. I'm not really sure what to compare this to, except maybe a touch of old school Jimmy Eat World, like Static Prevails and Clarity era. Although that isn't really a 100% accurate comparison. Anyway, I enjoy this song and will need to check out the album. Wrapping things up is Comforting Sounds. I'm not sure anything needs to be said for this song that hasn't already been said by many people over the years. This song is nearly perfect. Mew is quite the unique sounding band, not really sounding like anyone else and this song encapsulates that uniqueness. The slow build, the dreamy vocals, the heartfelt lyrics, the achingly beautiful melodies, the sense of ethereal infinity that is evoked where you just never want the song to end....I could go on and on. A perfect ending the the EP.
Song Score - 8/10

I like how you stuck with songs that you could pull a piece of yourself out in the lyrics and then weaved them into a semi-concept semi-autobiographical EP, with leanings into philosophical moments of clarity throughout your life, all leading to optimism. Even in the wake of life trying to drag you down via anxieties, stress, prejudices, world events, feelings of not being good enough, lost loved ones, and just the passing of time. I won't share too much of what you sent me, I'll leave that up to you to share with the rest of the class, but I do see a lot of myself in what you wrote, at least insofar as life trying to drag us all down with everything going on and feelings of inadequacy. I like how you ended it with the acknowledgement of all of us being imperfect and just doing our best (some more so than others), even though some people just like to drag others down with them. But there is that note of optimism that maybe things can and will be better.
Story Score - 9.5/10 +1 for bonus theme

Flow is usually never a problem in your EP's and concept albums. The only real issue I had was the discrepancy of production quality/styles going from Glass Beach to La Dispute and then the transition into Actor | Observer felt a little hamfisted. Other than that the rest worked really well. Also the overall consistency of styles was nice.
Flow Score - 8/10

Total Score - 26.5/30
« Last Edit: September 26, 2022, 11:04:56 PM by Puppies_On_Acid »
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Puppies (Re)Discovery EP Roulette V.4 (And We're Back! Round 4 Results Part 1&2)
« Reply #1984 on: September 25, 2022, 01:26:18 PM »
Chad crushed it.

So glad to see you are OK puppies. Love ya. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

• DTF.org Member
Re: Puppies (Re)Discovery EP Roulette V.4 (And We're Back! Round 4 Results Part 1&2)
« Reply #1985 on: September 25, 2022, 01:42:39 PM »
Chad crushed it.

So glad to see you are OK puppies. Love ya.
Thanks King!

I also forgot to put the updated album cover in the results post for Tim and Chad. Whoops

aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #1986 on: September 25, 2022, 01:48:41 PM »
i'll take it  :lol
i haven't worked on my concept album at all over the past month or so, so
uhhh it'll exist at some point. that's all. i'm very busy rn lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1987 on: September 25, 2022, 05:49:46 PM »
Chris, I'm happy to see that you are ready to resume the roulette. Not for the roulette's sake, but just that you feel well enough to go on with it. We are really in no rush.

I'm glad you enjoyed the spirit of my EP. I really struggled with a concept, as I really didn't want to revisit any rough points in my life. I figured that'd be cliche, so once I was able to find enough songs to loosely support my concept, I went with it. I knew that my real challenge was the songs, and I just threw caution to the wind, and tried to add a couple of effects. I'm glad you liked and got a kick out of those.

I was actually planning on sending you my Concept Album after work the morning I read your post about the hiatus. I'll re-up the tracks to We Transfer probably tomorrow and send it along.

Glad to have you back, man. Shitty score and all.. :lol

Just kidding. :)

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1988 on: September 26, 2022, 11:04:22 PM »
One more result for tonight. This was probably the hardest one for me to get through...

Kingshmegland - The Words You Never Want to Hear

Thrice - All That's Left
Cave In - Anchor
Silverchair - The Greatest View
Dilemma - The Inner Darkness
Rise Twain - Prayers
Spock's Beard - Disappear
King's X - Life Going By

First Impression - I swear those aren't tears, I just have something in my eye...

Starting off with an old Thrice song :metal All That's Left is a good short rocker. A fairly straightforward melodic Post-Hardcore track with some great hooks and a good chorus. I'm a pretty big Thrice fan, but also a fairly recent convert. I never really got into them until they were sent in my first roulette back in 2018. Anyway off to a good start. Next we get another band that I'm kind of familiar with, Cave In, but mostly their stuff since White Silence. This song is fresh to me. This is quite a bit different than the stuff of theirs I'm familiar with. This has a more Post-rock/Space rock/Hardcore mish mash.....Post-Space-Core if you will... :D I quite like it. EP still going strong musically. Next is The Greatest View by Silverchair. This is a band I know from my highschool years and I'm sure I heard this song before. It sounds very familiar, but I just don't recall when or where I heard it. This song is kind of surprising and it opened up more and more as I listened to it multiple times. It has a mix of Alternative/PostGrunge style with Symphonic Prog, if that makes sense. The chorus sounds like something right out of a Big Big Train song. Great song! Now onto the epic of the EP, The Inner Darkness. We'll get into the lyrics in the story section, because I have a bit to say about them, so let's focus on the music here. This band, Dilemma, is new to me. They sort of sound like if Porcupine Tree, Galahad, and Sylvan had a weird 3 way love child. That's about the best way I can describe it. The way this song builds on itself and becomes more bombastic over the first 6 minutes is really quite captivating. The Vocals have a very Neal Morse-like quality to them. All good there. Then there's that whole middle section that is really great. Speaking of, the change ups throughout the song are interesting and feel like natural progressions in the song. Guess I'm gonna have to pick up this album. Next we have Rise Twain with Prayers. I remember seeing this band name thrown around a few years ago when their album came out and immediately dismissed them because their name was too close to Shania Twain :rollin Anyway, this is a nice somber song. It has a nice acoustic artsy prog rock feel. Reminds me a bit of a mix of Alpha Rev and Pineapple Thief, especially some of the vocal inflections and melodies. It isn't the greatest song I've ever heard, but it's definitely a pleasant listen. Then we get to Disappear, a song I am fairly familiar with by Spock's Beard. I will say I didn't really care for this album, even though I'm a fan of Ted Leonard. I mean, I really liked Brief Nocturnes and Dreamless Sleep. However, hearing this song in the context of this EP, I think you may have changed my mind on this song. This is a lot better than I remembered. Sounds just like classic Spock's Beard. Anyway, the EP ends with Life Going By. So a quick rundown of my experience with King's X. I got introduced to them with their album Ogre Tones and quite enjoyed it. So I went back to their first album and started slowly buying and listening to their discography in chronological order. For whatever reason I only made it up to Dogman and stopped. I probably got distracted by some other band. So long story short (too late), I never listened to the album this song is from and boy do I wish I had. This song just feels like a classic King's X song right from the outset. The music here just feels like perfect nostalgia all the way through and is just a beautiful way to end this EP.
Song Score - 8.3/10

So the story here is beautiful. Inspiring. Triumphant. Just to go on a quick tangent here (since I don't want to make this about me), cancer has affected my life, as it has so many others. I lost my paternal grandfather to it 9 years ago. My maternal grandfather fought through it about 15 years ago. My aunt is fighting breast cancer. You get the idea. What I'm trying to say is, I may not know exactly what you went through, but I can sympathize and have a pretty good idea of what your wife went through. Anyway, just to read what you wrote in the PM you sent me and then listen to this and read along with the lyrics it just overwhelmed me with emotion. I can't even imagine how scary the whole situation was, but man am I glad you made it through. And to have your wife stick by you through the worst of times speaks a lot to her character and the type of person she is....You are a lucky man. So many people would just bail at that point. Now I wanted to focus in on The Inner Darkness. This track fit so well for the story. Especially with lines like "remember the future we wanted to hold, a slippery thief nearly took it away, who would have thought, the last time we talked, we’d be standing right here today." That one hit me pretty hard. Something like cancer can just up and take away your entire future. And then you are amazed that you are still standing in the aftermath. Then the lyrics to Life Going By is a beautiful way to end the story.
Story Score - 10/10 +1 for bonus theme

So the flow here is pretty good. It helps that, even though you have Post-hardcore, Alternative Rock, Neo-Prog, and Symphonic Prog, it all seems to blend quite nicely. Cave In works like a merger of the styles found in both Thrice and Silver Chair. Then Silverchair incorporates some symphonic prog touches to bridge the gap to the next 3 songs quite nicely. Then King's X works well coming off of Spock's Beard. The only nits I have to pick are the way song of the songs transition. Namely going from All That's Left to Anchor and then to The Greatest View didn't really work so well, but the rest of the tracks all transition very nicely.
Flow Score - 8/10

Total Score - 27.3/30
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline Deadeye21

Re: Puppies (Re)Discovery EP Roulette V.4 (And We're Back! Round 4 Results Part 3)
« Reply #1989 on: September 26, 2022, 11:19:55 PM »
Great score. I’ll be surprised if that isn’t one of the highest in this round.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Puppies (Re)Discovery EP Roulette V.4 (And We're Back! Round 4 Results Part 3)
« Reply #1990 on: September 27, 2022, 04:41:22 AM »
Thank you.  I was 2 years of hell for my family and myself. So much unknown. It was tough for me even to write it out. I figured you'd dig the Dilemma album.

I'm so glad you are posting again Puppies.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1991 on: September 27, 2022, 06:44:02 AM »
I knew I should’ve sent a picture of me pushing a shopping cart with a cat!

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1992 on: September 27, 2022, 01:15:59 PM »
:corn

(no rush of course!)

I be am boner inducing.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1993 on: September 27, 2022, 05:28:41 PM »
Pup, I sent you my Concept Album across 3 PM's, although I think I sent Part II twice. Just delete one of them.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1994 on: September 27, 2022, 09:33:36 PM »
:corn

(no rush of course!)
Yours is up next. Got a phone call earlier from a mutual friend of the friends that died last month. Long call with lots of crying, reminiscing, stories, and just talking through stuff. Needless to say I didn't get much done on the writeups today between that and work, but at least yours should be up tonight  :)

Pup, I sent you my Concept Album across 3 PM's, although I think I sent Part II twice. Just delete one of them.
Just looked at the PMs. Epic!  :metal :corn
aka Puppies_On_Acid