Author Topic: Puppies (Re)Discovery EP Roulette V.4 (The Final Art!)  (Read 80767 times)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: Puppies (Re)Discovery EP Roulette V.4 (Round 3 Result 9)
« Reply #1575 on: August 11, 2022, 08:17:58 PM »
*after exchanging texts*

Ah, I see what you were thinking. It is kind of along those lines, but not exactly.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1576 on: August 11, 2022, 08:20:12 PM »
Makes me even more intrigued.   
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #1577 on: August 12, 2022, 12:47:41 AM »
  WTF are you doing a roulette for?!   ;D :lol

Stories and flow!
Yeah pretty much  :lol

So is everyone going to have their round 4 stuff in by Saturday? Or Sunday?

Is Monday alright? We're approaching insane temperatures here, I won't really be in the house over the weekend. Got the songs mostly ready, I'll do the editing on Monday so I can send it to you then.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #1578 on: August 12, 2022, 02:38:41 AM »
  WTF are you doing a roulette for?!   ;D :lol

Stories and flow!
Yeah pretty much  :lol

So is everyone going to have their round 4 stuff in by Saturday? Or Sunday?

Is Monday alright? We're approaching insane temperatures here, I won't really be in the house over the weekend. Got the songs mostly ready, I'll do the editing on Monday so I can send it to you then.
Works for me.

Everyone has until Monday......ish
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1579 on: August 12, 2022, 08:20:17 AM »
And it's a good thing I double checked, as Google Drive fucked up and was sync'g the wrong version of a file I'd edited.

Will send later ... have a bit of an additional writeup still to add.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1580 on: August 13, 2022, 05:39:50 AM »
Ok, now that the round is over, I am going to TAC it up about some of the flow scores :biggrin:.  For starters, I had the 2nd highest score of the round, so I'm not bitching about this, just pointing out an observation.  I don't particularly care - I think my last flow score was completely fair and appropriate (though, it was 3rd worst despite comments of "the pacing was fantastic and worked well with how you were trying to tell the story. Also each song had its place"), and as I've said from the outset, I ain't winning this thing - so I'm not stuffed about my scores.

However, looking at how you rate them, the comments and corresponding scores does make it seem like you may have an unconscious bias to those submissions that have been edited, and those that are just a playlist.  Personally, I think that it's just as impressive to get a decent/good/great flow between songs *without* editing anything.  I won't speak for others, but in my case, I probably spend as much time searching for the right songs/transitions as others do editing their transitions.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1581 on: August 13, 2022, 06:23:51 AM »
I dunno Chad.  Not sure why you would think that when you got the second highest score of the round, as you said.

I haven't analysed other results but my flow scores seem middle of the road and I do a bit of editing and join everything as 1 track while working on transitions.  I was actually feeling some of you just putting in a playlist are getting the benefit of the doubt with the flow scores.  As I said, I'm not really following who is doing what or the scores that closely though, so I'm happy to be wrong.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1582 on: August 13, 2022, 06:38:10 AM »
From the first 3 rounds I edited round 2 and that got me a 4 in flow  :lol while I know that the editing was crappy, it made me feel that Puppies was looking for something different in flow than I was. So just like Chad, I spend time finding songs that I think flow well without editing.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1583 on: August 13, 2022, 07:28:33 AM »
I dunno Chad.  Not sure why you would think that when you got the second highest score of the round, as you said.

I haven't analysed other results but my flow scores seem middle of the road and I do a bit of editing and join everything as 1 track while working on transitions.  I was actually feeling some of you just putting in a playlist are getting the benefit of the doubt with the flow scores.  As I said, I'm not really following who is doing what or the scores that closely though, so I'm happy to be wrong.

Just my sniff test looking at the flow scores and corresponding comments. Could be a ‘me’ thing or a hot take.

• DTF.org Member
Re: Puppies' (Re)Discovery EP Roulette V.4 (Signups Open!)
« Reply #1584 on: August 13, 2022, 10:34:34 AM »
Ok, now that the round is over, I am going to TAC it up about some of the flow scores :biggrin:.  For starters, I had the 2nd highest score of the round, so I'm not bitching about this, just pointing out an observation.  I don't particularly care - I think my last flow score was completely fair and appropriate (though, it was 3rd worst despite comments of "the pacing was fantastic and worked well with how you were trying to tell the story. Also each song had its place"), and as I've said from the outset, I ain't winning this thing - so I'm not stuffed about my scores.

However, looking at how you rate them, the comments and corresponding scores does make it seem like you may have an unconscious bias to those submissions that have been edited, and those that are just a playlist.  Personally, I think that it's just as impressive to get a decent/good/great flow between songs *without* editing anything.  I won't speak for others, but in my case, I probably spend as much time searching for the right songs/transitions as others do editing their transitions.

I'm just going to quote myself here.

Just wanted to touch on something again here. The tracks composing your EPs do not have to all run together as one long song. If one track leading to the next doesn't warrant it, then so be it.

To give an example of how I go about editing together EPs, I intentionally look for tracks that can be edited in such a way that they will flow together without the listener really noticing. Sometimes that means chopping off portions of the beginning or end of the songs in question or crossfading them at key points. I've even gone so far as to edit sections of a song onto other places to make things flow correctly. Then there are times where I let the songs be and let them naturally end and then begin the next song. Sometimes I will add an additional gap if a song starts too abruptly after the previous one. Sometimes there needs to be a brief moment in between tracks.

It's really all in how you see your EP playing out, how you want it to flow, how you want the songs portrayed. A lot of times the music has just as much to do with the telling of the story as the lyrics do when I'm compiling tracks together for an EP or concept album.

Hopefully this helps.  :)
To add to this, in the end, the score I give for EP flow is based on my enjoyment of the EP. I'm looking at these as conceptual pieces, so the less convinced I am that these disparate songs are supposed to be together, the lower the score. My comments on flow also don't always have a 100% direct correlation to the given score. Sometimes I just don't know how to put into words how I feel about certain aspects, and so I don't try. That, I guess, would be a failing on my part, but I do try convey how I'm feeling about them and give pointers of how/where it could be improved. Perhaps you are 100% happy with how it flows, but then again....Tastes!

Now having looked back at all my score lists for the last round, I somehow gave you your flow score from round 2. I will fix that, cause your score for round 3 was actually a bit better.  :facepalm:
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1585 on: August 13, 2022, 10:39:29 AM »
Also rereading some of my write ups, apparently my proofreading skills are failing me. I've noticed way too many grammatical mistakes and spelling errors for my liking. :lol
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1586 on: August 13, 2022, 12:10:50 PM »
Now having looked back at all my score lists for the last round, I somehow gave you your flow score from round 2. I will fix that, cause your score for round 3 was actually a bit better.  :facepalm:

WTF? I think my Round 3 Flow score should now be my Round 1 Flow score.

Fucking Chad...plays the Cancer Card, crushes the round, and still bitches..
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1587 on: August 13, 2022, 01:12:08 PM »

Don't make me turn this into a Scar roulette  :biggrin:
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #1588 on: August 13, 2022, 01:26:05 PM »
11/10 fantastic song have literally listened to it just now for the first time
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1589 on: August 13, 2022, 02:44:24 PM »
What s a Scar Roulette?

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1590 on: August 13, 2022, 03:31:36 PM »

WTF?  How come when I had a bitch I didn't get a better score.  :lol

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1591 on: August 13, 2022, 07:42:27 PM »

I guess everyone is getting 10's across the board next round  :biggrin:
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: Puppies (Re)Discovery EP Roulette V.4 (Send for Round 4 by Monday-ish)
« Reply #1592 on: August 13, 2022, 07:44:40 PM »
Then I better get an 11 with my samples. ;D

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1593 on: August 13, 2022, 07:46:55 PM »
Then I better get an 11 with my samples. ;D
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1594 on: August 13, 2022, 08:07:28 PM »

I guess everyone is getting 10's across the board next round  :biggrin:

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1595 on: August 13, 2022, 08:19:03 PM »
Tim won't get mine even though it was a famous song. He was buried in the ground in his time capsule in the 90's.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1596 on: August 13, 2022, 08:23:20 PM »
Tim won't get mine even though it was a famous song. He was buried in the ground in his time capsule in the 90's.

You only sent one song??

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1597 on: August 13, 2022, 08:25:24 PM »

You only sent one song??

Taking the Chad level of cheats to a whole new level sending Green Carnation, Edge of Sanity or Insomnium!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1598 on: August 13, 2022, 08:26:48 PM »
I think he meant to post in the Deadeye thread. :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1599 on: August 13, 2022, 08:30:00 PM »

You only sent one song??

Yeah, in the other roulette. Lol. I'm a dummy.  :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1600 on: August 13, 2022, 08:30:41 PM »
 :rollin

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1601 on: August 13, 2022, 08:30:47 PM »

You only sent one song??

Taking the Chad level of cheats to a whole new level sending Green Carnation, Edge of Sanity or Insomnium!

I do own that CD. LOL

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1603 on: August 13, 2022, 10:50:04 PM »

You only sent one song??

I do own that CD. LOL

Umm......I posted 3 bands there.  :lol

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1604 on: August 13, 2022, 11:11:36 PM »
Well I have 3 EPs so far. I've already given them 1 listen each. Waiting for the rest.

In the meantime I've got some interesting album art cooking up for them.
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #1605 on: August 14, 2022, 12:55:06 AM »
okay spent the  last two hours making an EP so now puppies has an EP

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #1606 on: August 14, 2022, 04:05:45 AM »
Goddammit, one of the songs that was essential to my EP is on an album that's banned. FFS.
Squ

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1607 on: August 14, 2022, 04:34:33 AM »
My concept album is looking like it's gonna be 2 hours long........

......actually, I'm going to have to try and cut 8 minutes off it to make it 2 hours.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2022, 04:42:41 AM by wolfking »

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1608 on: August 14, 2022, 05:27:56 AM »

FFS, which part of "I'm not bitching" did you not read, understand, or accept??  You read like mrs.jingle listens.  :lol

My comments on flow also don't always have a 100% direct correlation to the given score. Sometimes I just don't know how to put into words how I feel about certain aspects, and so I don't try. That, I guess, would be a failing on my part, but I do try convey how I'm feeling about them and give pointers of how/where it could be improved. Perhaps you are 100% happy with how it flows, but then again....Tastes!

Chris... thanks for this detailed explanation.  The bolded part is all you really needed to say.  I totally get that, and it's totally understandable.  And I was completely fine with a 7.5 rating last round.

Maybe because I wasn't "bitching"   :P

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1609 on: August 14, 2022, 05:39:53 AM »
So you can just put a disclaimer up saying 'I'm not bitching' and it gives you a free pass to bitch about what you want?  Sounds legit, I'm gonna do that.  ;D