Author Topic: Puppies (Re)Discovery EP Roulette V.4 (The Final Art!)  (Read 78855 times)

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Re: Puppies (Re)Discovery EP Roulette V.4 (First Impressions)
« Reply #1050 on: July 23, 2022, 09:01:59 AM »
Elite - Sunrise: If I Should Lose You Before the Night is Through, the Stars Will Fall From the Skies
That was a hell of a ride! Cinematic, powerful, heartfelt, crushing, and sort of weird

6. Ministry - Victims of a Clown
7. Rammstein - Sonne

Come on hangmanen peeps! Finish my EP before Puppies posts results :)
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1051 on: July 23, 2022, 09:11:52 AM »
Maybe Pup can move all of the songs and updates to this new page.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #1052 on: July 23, 2022, 11:26:57 AM »
Maybe Pup can move all of the songs and updates to this new page.
Ask and you shall receive

?: In Vain – Wayakin (The Guardian Spirit of Nez Perce)
?: Sabaton – Rise of Evil
?: Blair Mowat – Souls Released
?: Julie London – You and the Night and the Music
?: Ozzy Osbourne – For What It's Worth
?: The Dear Hunter – Mandala
?: Aniki Moa – In the Morning
?: 1914 – Passchenhell
?: The Dear Hunter – What Time Taught Us
?: SikTh – Tupelo

Guessed letters: Ćnotsfmlared

?: _ni Di_r_n__ – _ell_ Bir_in____
?: ____ – __r_s d'__t_s-__n_ns-_itr_ille_ses __._._._
?: The Beatles – __li_
?: _e_in De_ine – Br_t_er's Bl__d
?: Megadeth – Foreclosure of a Dream
?: Tr____ S__rs – Br_t_er
?: __l_t_s – _ _i_t_res __rt_
?: Ibr__i_ ___l___ – Tr_e S_rr_
?: S__ri_i_e – B_rned _t t_e St__e
?: __r_e_t – _it__ B_rner
?: Queen – Lily of the Valley
?: __d__s__st_ti_ – Es___e _el__it_
?: David Bowie – __en t_e _Ind Bl__s
?: I_t__i – T_e _rr__s __ __r ___s
Ariich: Sleeping at Last – _e_rin_
?: _nt_r__ – Indi_ns
?: Julie London – If I Should Lose You
?: ___ _i__ters – __itin_ _n _ __r
?: S_s_n _erner – __n__tt_n __ns_s

Guessed letters: bnilsređtd

Wolfking: Stalingrad: The Regime of Evil
Slayer – Angel of Death
Angel Dust – Come Into Resistance
Angel Dust – First in Line
Angel Dust – Cross of Hatred
Accept – Stalingrad
Black Majesty – Fall of the Reich
Nightingale – Stalingrad

TAC: The Curse of Salem
Genus Ordinis Dei – Salem
Candlemass – Witches
Revocation – Witch Trials

Jingle: Ich bin ein Berliner
Mob Rules – The Oswald File: Chapter I - Prologue
Mob Rules – The Oswald File: Chapter II - Desperate Son
Mob Rules – The Oswald File: Chapter III - 11:30 AM
Mind's Eye – AssassiNation
Mob Rules – The Oswald File: Chapter IV - Unnecessary Doubt
Mob Rules – The Oswald File: Chapter V - A Dead Man's Face
Mob Rules – The Oswald File: Chapter VI - Did You Reach The Sun?
Mind's Eye – Feed My Revolver
Seventh Wonder – The Black Parade

Ariich: Void II: Call of the Infinite Cosmos
Public Service Broadcasting – The Race for Space
This Day and Age – Second Star to the Right
Sleeping at Last – Jupiter
Sleeping at Last – Saturn
Dream the Electric Sleep – Flight

Deadeye: Rewound.Recast
Green Day – Governator
Pink Floyd – Two Suns in the Sunset
Alter Bridge – Waters Rising
Muse – Aftermath

Vmadera: Native Manifest
Testament – Trail of Tears
Testament – Native Blood
Testament – Allegiance
Iron Mask – When All Braves Fall

Elite: Sunrise: If I Should Lose You Before the Night is Through, The Stars Will Fall From the Skies
Ministry – Victims of a Clown
Rammstein – Sonne

King: The Hurt Was There Before
The Verve Pipe – The Freshmen
Fleetwood Mac – Sara
Ben Folds Five – Brick
Jeffrey Gaines – Headmaster of Mine

Cyril: The Southern Rebellion and Massacre of 1832-1835
Primeval Well – Tales Carved in Stone on a Forbidden Road
Wiegedood – FN Scar 16
« Last Edit: July 23, 2022, 01:49:27 PM by Puppies_On_Acid »
aka Puppies_On_Acid
My last.fm | My Rate Your Music Page
Quote from: Podaar
King's Photoshop powers are akin to a three year old cutting faces out of photographs with the edge of a dull spoon and pasting them in place with garden shovel full of Gorilla Glue.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
Re: Puppies (Re)Discovery EP Roulette V.4 (Round 2 Result One)
« Reply #1053 on: July 23, 2022, 01:46:36 PM »
First Result coming in hot!

Jingle.Boi - Ich bin ein Berliner

Mob Rules – The Oswald File: Chapter I - Prologue
Mob Rules – The Oswald File: Chapter II - Desperate Son
Mob Rules – The Oswald File: Chapter III - 11:30 AM
Mind's Eye – AssassiNation
Mob Rules – The Oswald File: Chapter IV - Unnecessary Doubt
Mob Rules – The Oswald File: Chapter V - A Dead Man's Face
Mob Rules – The Oswald File: Chapter VI - Did You Reach The Sun?
Mind's Eye – Feed My Revolver
Seventh Wonder – The Black Parade

First Impression - Some killer music, not so killer flow

I don't know if I would call this cheating, since you followed the rules, and even though you have the Mob Rules stuff separated into into its various parts it's still technically one song. This is similar to an EP I sent in one of Cyril's roulettes, where I based the story around a longer piece and supplemented it with additional songs.

So for the purposes of this write up I'm going to take The Oswald File as one song. So I've heard the name Mob Rules around these parts in passing, but never heard anything that made me want to check them out. This song is quite simply, awesome! Each of its parts work and flow well (as they should) and it's all brought together with some good passionate vocals and, while not technically overwhelming, the music is pretty engaging and played FOR the song rather than technical wankery. I appreciate that. Speaking of the vocals, this guy reminds me a bit of a slightly better Tobias Sammet. I love when bands use field recordings and segues to immerse you in the story of a song. Mob Rules uses this to great effect throughout and feels very natural to the song. Let's just say this song has made me want to check out this band in greater depth. Any suggestions as to where to start would be appreciated. Now onto the other songs, none of which were as good.....Assassination, is.....alright.... It was bold of you to send Mind's Eye, seeing as how I rated this album a 3/10 :D But Assassination is at least catchy in the chorus and is backed by some decent instrumentation. One of the biggest detractors is the absolutely corny (in a bad way) keyboards. I also don't particularly like Andreas Novak's vocals. He has a little bit of that nasal congestion sound to his voice that I don't really like. There is a pretty cool guitar solo in the back half that I really enjoy, which proceeds to go into a really cool drum pattern which unfortunately doesn't last long enough and then goes into more of those Casio toy keyboard sounds. Feed My Revolver isn't quite as catchy to me, but the vocals are a bit better sounding to me. The keyboards are also much better sounding in this song. Some of the lyrics, vocal phrasing, and vocal melodies are a bit awkward which kind of detracts from the song, but that's mostly in the bridge section. Overall not a terrible song. The Black Parade starts off with a great heavy riff that I love. I'm not sure I get the issue some people have with Tommy Karevik's vocals. He has a very clean tone and in some ways has a similar singing style to Arno Menses, although different tonal qualities. I'm obviously very familiar with this song, since Mercy Falls is a fantastic record. This song is a great closer to that album and works as a great closer here. This song would be the strongest here if not for The Oswald File. Overall I'd say this is quite strong musically, I don't know that I can knock the song score down too badly for 10 minutes of mediocrity, especially since the majority is taken up with great stuff!
Song Score - 8/10

The story works well especially due to The Oswald File being the main piece of the puzzle, telling the bulk of the story. I like how you used the two Mind's Eye songs as a flashback and an alternate perspective, respectively. Ending it with The Black Parade, while not completely lyrically relevant, works splendidly. I can see how you can draw out certain lyrics and apply them to the story at hand. Overall a great retelling of a widely known historical event.
Story Score - 9/10 +1 for bonus theme

Now the flow......at first I wasn't feeling it at all. I thought the transitions to the Mind's Eye and Seventh Wonder songs were too abrupt and I didn't like it. However I really began to see what you were going for (I mean, I know you mentioned what you were trying to do in the PM, but I digress). The ideas were sound, but I still think the execution could have been better. I know you said you weren't really going for flow points in this, but I appreciate the willingness to try here. Having said all that, I actually took some time in the middle of writing this review/result and redid the way this flows to something a little closer to what you were going for. I'll provide a link at the end of this post if you want to give it a listen (and for anyone else who is interested in my take).
Flow Score - 7.5/10

Overall Score - 25.5/30

Link to my take - https://drive.google.com/file/d/12wg5hr7tUZ7rZK6AH85RpCFH6SMd8zDh/view?usp=sharing
« Last Edit: July 23, 2022, 03:40:03 PM by Puppies_On_Acid »
aka Puppies_On_Acid
King's Photoshop powers are akin to a three year old cutting faces out of photographs with the edge of a dull spoon and pasting them in place with garden shovel full of Gorilla Glue.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1054 on: July 23, 2022, 02:46:46 PM »
I'll be watching these Flow scores very closely. :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #1055 on: July 23, 2022, 03:38:21 PM »
Oh, I forgot to add the made up album art I did. I'll edit that in.
aka Puppies_On_Acid

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
Re: Puppies (Re)Discovery EP Roulette V.4 (Round 2 Result Two)
« Reply #1056 on: July 23, 2022, 05:45:48 PM »

TAC - The Curse of Salem

Genus Ordinis Dei – Salem
Candlemass – Witches
Revocation – Witch Trials
Warfect – Witch Burner
Sacrifice – Burned at the Stake
Blair Mowat – Souls Released

First Impression - Trying to out-metal Wolfking's last EP. :metal

Very metally! Is that a word? So Salem is first and has a very Fleshgod Apocalypse does Deathcore vibe to it. Complete with heavy symphonics and the female vocals mixed with harsh vocals. There are some really cool melodies here, but the song may be slightly too relentless with harsh vocals being as harsh as possible. Not a huge problem, just a little too much in places. This is followed by Witches. Not much can make me want to headbang as much as Candlemass. The huge riff at the beginning of this is just so headbang worthy. This song is just a fantastic metal song and Messiah Marcolin is as good as always on the mic. I mean Leif Edling just knows how to write a metal song :metal Next is Witch Trial by Revocation. This is one of those bands that does the mix between Thrash and Death Metal right! And this song is no exception. Great drums, great guitar leads and riffs! And what a closing solo, which is sadly cut short by the fade out (which I know isn't your fault since that's how it is on the album). Witch Burner follows with some more heavy Thrash! This has a very similar vibe to Revocation with more great riffs and solos. Also the bass is very audible and there are some amazing bass lines here too! I really like the second half where the tempo slows down a bit and the band is able to expand musically with some more crushing riffs. The drummer also does some more interesting things in the second half. Then, surprise! More Thrash with Burned at the Stake. Not that I'm complaining....although this might be the least interesting song here, though there are some cool things going on here. The ending is pretty great when the band ups the tempo and charges to the finish :metal At the end is Souls Released which kind of ends the EP on a similar symphonic element as it began, although in a much lighter fashion. All in all some very strong metal throughout this :2metal:
Song Score - 8.25/10

The story is overall well done, but feels somewhat incomplete. Would make for a good episode of a TV show, probably. I just think the story could have been expanded upon a little bit. And your EP being only 28 minutes long, you could have thrown another song or 2 in, but I digress. I like the twist with The Queen of the Damned and the Hierarchy. It might have been cool to expand on that a little with another song. Either way I enjoyed what was there and all the music and lyrics served the story well.
Story Score - 8.5/10 +1 for Bonus theme

Now, the flow here is improved from your last EP. Plus the way a couple of the songs ended probably didn't help with your efforts of editing. So I have to give props for improving your editing skills. I'm still not exactly a fan of the longer fade-ins on the Candlemass and Revocation tracks, perhaps you are relying too heavily on the crossfade option (although I can't be certain exactly what you did, and I could be completely wrong). Typically what I will do when fading songs is use the specific fade-in and fade-out functions and select the exact portion of the song I want faded in/out, then move the tracks about in relation to each other to get the desired effect. And the Warfect song needed a bit of a volume boost, which you can do in Audacity with the Amplify option under "Effect". Just for future reference. The rest of it was edited together pretty well. Like Jingle's EP I also took some time to do a re-edit/remix in Audacity, just as an example of how I might have edited it. Having said that, I could see what you were going for and the vision you had for the EP.
Flow Score - 8/10

Overall Score - 25.75/30

Link to my re-edit if anyone cares to have a listen - https://drive.google.com/file/d/1zD-1oEAqfPBcZWM4onCwrursuBIKS2T7/view?usp=sharing
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1057 on: July 23, 2022, 06:36:16 PM »
OK, I'll take the improved score.

You mention the 28 minutes...I guess I target my EPs at 5 songs/30 minutes. If they fall a tad short or longer than it is what it is. I'm generally hesitant to take 5 good songs and adding two mediocre songs just to lengthen it for sake.

I just listened to your edit between Candlemass and Revocation. Your fade out to Candlemass went on just as long as mine, but I see you cut out the beginning of the Revocation. Honestlly, I wouldn't have thought to do that. Your version of the soft Revocation opening and then right into the harsh vocals is quite jarring IMO.
I did edit out a long outro on my personal EP, so I'm not against doing that kind of thing, but I wouldn't have thought to cut out the Revocation as you did. I like my version better. ;D

Between tracks, I fade out the first and fade in the second. Then I try and crossfade at the same volume. Seems you don't like the wind down between tracks, but personally, I'd rather that than a blunt lead in to the next song.

I mentioned in my personal EP where I just couldn't get the songs to connect, and I opted for trying to bring it on the beat. I wasn't happy with it, but you'll probably like it. ;D

Anyway, let me look at my Fantasy one one more time. I'm not home until Wednesday, so don't lock me in just yet.

I guess I would've rather had a "What Puppies Would've Done" version of my first EP in the that writeup, since that Flow score tanked so badly.

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #1058 on: July 23, 2022, 06:51:50 PM »
OK, I'll take the improved score.

You mention the 28 minutes...I guess I target my EPs at 5 songs/30 minutes. If they fall a tad short or longer than it is what it is. I'm generally hesitant to take 5 good songs and adding two mediocre songs just to lengthen it for sake.

I just listened to your edit between Candlemass and Revocation. Your fade out to Candlemass went on just as long as mine, but I see you cut out the beginning of the Revocation. Honestlly, I wouldn't have thought to do that. Your version of the soft Revocation opening and then right into the harsh vocals is quite jarring IMO.
I did edit out a long outro on my personal EP, so I'm not against doing that kind of thing, but I wouldn't have thought to cut out the Revocation as you did. I like my version better. ;D

Between tracks, I fade out the first and fade in the second. Then I try and crossfade at the same volume. Seems you don't like the wind down between tracks, but personally, I'd rather that than a blunt lead in to the next song.

I mentioned in my personal EP where I just couldn't get the songs to connect, and I opted for trying to bring it on the beat. I wasn't happy with it, but you'll probably like it. ;D

Anyway, let me look at my Fantasy one one more time. I'm not home until Wednesday, so don't lock me in just yet.

I guess I would've rather had a "What Puppies Would've Done" version of my first EP in the that writeup, since that Flow score tanked so badly.
In the end, I think it all comes down to tastes. It's the same with song scores, some songs I like and some I don't. Doesn't mean those songs are bad. Same with the way an album or EP flows. Some may like the longer crossfades, where I may like to do things differently. Doesn't mean one is inherently wrong. But in the end I have to score it according to my tastes.

I'll take a look at your first EP and work up my own re-edit at some point.
aka Puppies_On_Acid

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #1059 on: July 23, 2022, 06:54:52 PM »
Oh and don't worry about being locked in for the next round. I plan on giving everyone until Saturday to have their submissions in, like last round. That seems like a good pace to allow for people to have time to put something together, plus with only 5 rounds (for now) the roulette won't last an eternity... If I get everything in before Saturday we just start the next round sooner.
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1060 on: July 23, 2022, 06:56:58 PM »
In the end, I think it all comes down to tastes. It's the same with song scores, some songs I like and some I don't. Doesn't mean those songs are bad. Same with the way an album or EP flows. Some may like the longer crossfades, where I may like to do things differently. Doesn't mean one is inherently wrong. But in the end I have to score it according to my tastes.

I wasn't complaining. I listened to the spot that you called out, that's all. All good.

I'll take a look at your first EP and work up my own re-edit at some point.

Don't bother. Rear view mirror..

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1061 on: July 23, 2022, 06:57:25 PM »
Oh and don't worry about being locked in for the next round. I plan on giving everyone until Saturday to have their submissions in, like last round. That seems like a good pace to allow for people to have time to put something together, plus with only 5 rounds (for now) the roulette won't last an eternity... If I get everything in before Saturday we just start the next round sooner.

Do you have a theme in mind for the added round?

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #1062 on: July 23, 2022, 07:04:52 PM »

Do you have a theme in mind for the added round?
Sort of, I'm still trying to work out if I want to do it though.

I'm a bit surprised Chad hasn't chimed in about his results yet.  :corn

Anyway, I should get 2 or 3 more posted tonight. Then the rest tomorrow.
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1063 on: July 23, 2022, 07:10:00 PM »
I was about to chime in, but I didn't think it was appropriate. I mean, I suppose I could've taken an 8 part song, kept 6 of them and substituted a couple of other tracks and called it a day, but I figured I'd start from scratch, come up with my own story, and take a bunch of random tracks and tie them together, which I guess paid off for the extra .25 points.  :lol

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1064 on: July 23, 2022, 07:49:09 PM »
I’ll takes it!  I didn’t know you rated A Gentleman’s Hurricane so poorly. Oh well, good thing I didn’t use any more of that one.

I’m not a huge fan of Mob Rules, tbh.  I only have a few albums of theirs, and a few more saved to Spotify. The run of Radical Peace, cannibal Nation, and Tales From Beyond would be my suggestion. I don’t know much of their earlier stuff. Kade might.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1065 on: July 23, 2022, 07:55:45 PM »
I was about to chime in, but I didn't think it was appropriate. I mean, I suppose I could've taken an 8 part song, kept 6 of them and substituted a couple of other tracks and called it a day, but I figured I'd start from scratch, come up with my own story, and take a bunch of random tracks and tie them together, which I guess paid off for the extra .25 points.  :lol

Actually, the Oswald File is a 6-part suite …. I used the whole damned thing.  :lol

No need to be so butt hurt after you goaded me in to playing, and now I’m doing almost as good as you with 1/2 the effort.  I play smarter, not harder     ;) :D :-*
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1066 on: July 23, 2022, 08:01:16 PM »
I suppose you're sending the fucking Hobbit Soundtrack for the next round?

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1067 on: July 23, 2022, 08:05:05 PM »

So touchy Tim.  I'm the one who's going to take it on the chin brah.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #1068 on: July 23, 2022, 08:05:15 PM »
I'd take it  :biggrin:
aka Puppies_On_Acid

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
Re: Puppies (Re)Discovery EP Roulette V.4 (Round 2 Result Three)
« Reply #1069 on: July 23, 2022, 10:53:35 PM »

Kingshmegland - The Hurt Was There Before

6.5 The Verve Pipe – The Freshmen
2 Ani DiFranco – Hello Birmingham
5 Aniki Moa – In the Morning
9 Fleetwood Mac – Sara
5 Susan Werner – Manhattan Kansas
6 Ben Folds Five – Brick
7.5 Jeffrey Gaines – Headmaster of Mine

First Impression - Having a hard time connecting to most of these songs

Oh boy. Let's get one thing out of the way. When it comes to hot button political topics (or just politics in general), I stay out of it. Politics only do 2 things in my opinion, stir up hatred and/or cause people to be unreasonable when they hear a differing viewpoint. Having said that, I would never tell a person what they can or cannot do. I believe people have the right to make whatever choice they want in life, doesn't mean I agree with that choice, but people have that right. And, no, I will not be drawn into a political discussion, nor do I want to have one. OK, phew....moving on.

So this EP starts with a familiar song that brings me back to my youth, The Freshmen. I haven't heard this song in quite a few years and kind of forgot about it. It's not a bad song, but is definitely a song of it's time. The sound is very similar to bands like Our Lady Peace, Dishwalla, and Vertical Horizon whom all do this sound much better, in my opinion. Like I said, it's not a bad song. It has some pretty good melodies and is somewhat catchy/memorable. I don't particularly like this guys vocals and the instrumentation isn't very interesting. Next is Hello Birmingham, and oh boy. So when I was in my early 20s I was dating a girl whose sister was in absolutely in love with Ani DiFranco and would play her for us any chance she got and oh man did I grow to hate Ani Difranco. This song is really no different. I can't stand her voice nor can I get into the music. Also why does it sound like she recorded the vocals for this song from a bathroom....Ugh, well now you know....don't send me Ani DiFranco... In the Morning is a much more pleasant song and least vocally and instrumentally. The lyrics are.....not good. Not much else to say about it. Sara is a much much better song than everything else up to this point. I will say that I absolutely adore Stevie Nicks voice. She is one of those vocalists that I could listen to sing the phone book or dictionary. She has one of those very smooth, yet raspy, sensual, yet angelic voices. The one problem I have with this song, which is a great song by the way, is the production on the drums. It's very weird.....they seem to change volume and tone randomly and not in an interesting way. It sounds like the recording engineer was messing with volume levels while recording the drum parts. Anyway, other than that I really like this song. Fleetwood Mac really knew how to write a good song. Manhattan Kansas sounds like something that my grandma would listen to. Not that there's anything wrong with that, it just isn't my kind of song. Brick is next and has some nice melodies, but some not so great singing. He sounds flat and uninterested throughout almost the entire song. The music has some nice builds of tension and release. Headmaster of Mine might be the most interesting song here musically. I kept thinking I knew this song from years ago, but I couldn't place where I had heard it before or if I had heard it before. It sounds so familiar and yet not.....Anyway, this song just sounds heartfelt and emotional. This guys voice also grew on me quite a bit through repeated listens. Overall a very mixed bag of music...
Song Score - 5.9/10

So as I said at the outset, I don't really get involved in political causes, etc etc, so this doesn't really connect with me much. And so as not to turn this into a discussion more suited to the Political/Religious forum, I won't say much more on the subject. I also wouldn't really call this a conceptual story so much as a thematic EP. I also wouldn't exactly call it history. However, I think I can meet you halfway and give you half a point for the bonus theme. We'll call it close enough.
Story Score - 5/10 +half a point for bonus theme

Flow-wise these songs all kind of stand by themselves and nothing really stands out as being jarring. Musically almost everything fits together fairly well. The Verve Pipe and Ani DiFranco notwithstanding. Then again some editing could have been done to make this feel like more of a cohesive piece. Just my 2 cents.
Flow Score - 5.5/10

I just need to say, sorry King. I know you were taking a bit of a risk here and this was a subject close to your heart, but it just didn't pan out for you. I know you have stuff that appeals to me more judging by your first EP, so I'm looking forward to your round 3 submission.

Overall Score - 16.9/30
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1070 on: July 24, 2022, 03:47:24 AM »
I’ll takes it!  I didn’t know you rated A Gentleman’s Hurricane so poorly. Oh well, good thing I didn’t use any more of that one.

I’m not a huge fan of Mob Rules, tbh.  I only have a few albums of theirs, and a few more saved to Spotify. The run of Radical Peace, cannibal Nation, and Tales From Beyond would be my suggestion. I don’t know much of their earlier stuff. Kade might.

Nope.  The first two you mentioned are the only two I have also.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1071 on: July 24, 2022, 03:47:46 AM »
That's a rough score there Joe, ouch.  :|
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #1072 on: July 24, 2022, 04:46:34 AM »
Is a 2 the lowest ever given for a song in a roulette? :o
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1073 on: July 24, 2022, 05:49:35 AM »

No... Ariich has given negative scores, and then there was Tim's Winger round - every score was in the red.

Nope.  The first two you mentioned are the only two I have also.

Really.  Huh... I thought it might've been you that put me on to them.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #1074 on: July 24, 2022, 05:56:39 AM »

No... Ariich has given negative scores, and then there was Tim's Winger round - every score was in the red.

But were those serious scores, or in a different scoring system?

I remember the classic 2.5 for that Slint song (Cyril knows) and I thought so far nothing had topped that :lol
Squ

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1075 on: July 24, 2022, 06:04:36 AM »

Chris... Just to clarify my comment here (as I re-read it this morning).  I am a fan, just not a *huge* fan.  I'm not sure I gave their earlier stuff a proper listen when I discovered them, so maybe I need to rectify that.  Their last album (in '18) fell a little flat to me - it wasn't bad, but I wasn't wow'd.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1076 on: July 24, 2022, 06:57:17 AM »

But were those serious scores, or in a different scoring system?

Oh they were serious alright.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1077 on: July 24, 2022, 07:44:51 AM »
I new I took a chance. Oh well. I need to be cognizant of your tastes.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Deadeye21

• 30 years say we’re in this together
« Reply #1078 on: July 24, 2022, 08:05:41 AM »

He’s about to tell me that I can’t sing, so there’s that..
Let's go with a P for Deadeye has premature alphabetejaculation.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #1079 on: July 24, 2022, 08:12:57 AM »
Anthrax - Indians in the hangmanen

on Vmadera's EP
Squ

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #1080 on: July 24, 2022, 10:14:31 AM »
:eek I meant to hide the individual song scores before posting. I just do that to keep track for myself. Oh well, the cats out of the bag. :corn

Anyone else interested in their individual song scores now? :biggrin:
aka Puppies_On_Acid

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #1081 on: July 24, 2022, 10:21:10 AM »

He’s about to tell me that I can’t sing, so there’s that..
It's possible. :corn
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliňujoŕupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #1082 on: July 24, 2022, 11:28:33 AM »
give me all of my song scores, yeah  :corn

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1083 on: July 24, 2022, 01:01:09 PM »
Interesting, the song scores suggest that your overall score for song quality is a simple average? Never been a fan of that myself as it doesn't account for song length, but each to their own.

With that in mind though, do you want us to specify any short tracks that are essentially intros/interludes, or are you happy to make that judgement call yourself?

(EDIT: from my perspective, the two 2.5 min tracks in the current round are pretty much an intro and interlude - part of the story and flow but not intended to be included as strong songs in themselves)

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #1084 on: July 24, 2022, 01:16:24 PM »
Oh dear :lol I have a sixth of a song on my EP! On its own that doesn't make sense, I hope it does in the full thing.

Hangmanen is a bit slow for some reason? I'm considering revealing the thing and posting the link for you guys to listen to it (if you want) before I leave the house again. Came back late last night, and I'll be away again next week starting tomorrow morning.
Squ