Author Topic: Deadeye21’s Song Roulette - Round 9 Results  (Read 66832 times)

Offline Deadeye21

• 30 years say we’re in this together
Re: Deadeye21’s Song Roulette - Round 9 Impressions
« Reply #2135 on: November 27, 2022, 04:57:56 PM »
Working long days every day now, a hell of a lot of travel time and gigs just about every weekend as well. There just has not been enough time in the last three weeks to sit and do the writeups. When I do get five minutes, I’ve had to give it to my bosses that ask for extra work that they then didn’t even actually want or I’ve had to go off for blood tests that never came back with any results whatsoever.

But ya know what, I’m genuinely done after this. Cheers for everything, but if you guys want to attack me for not having more than 2 minutes to myself in a day, I’m not gonna bother hosting the album round and just to be safe, I won’t even participate in any of your roulettes going forward either.

Let's go with a P for Deadeye has premature alphabetejaculation.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #2136 on: November 27, 2022, 05:27:27 PM »
Good job guys... Cyber bullied him right out of it.  :tup

Now I'll never know how he liked my song.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #2137 on: November 27, 2022, 05:31:18 PM »
Working long days every day now, a hell of a lot of travel time and gigs just about every weekend as well. There just has not been enough time in the last three weeks to sit and do the writeups. When I do get five minutes, I’ve had to give it to my bosses that ask for extra work that they then didn’t even actually want or I’ve had to go off for blood tests that never came back with any results whatsoever.

But ya know what, I’m genuinely done after this. Cheers for everything, but if you guys want to attack me for not having more than 2 minutes to myself in a day, I’m not gonna bother hosting the album round and just to be safe, I won’t even participate in any of your roulettes going forward either.

Jesus ... lighten up dude.  I didn't see anyone attack you personally over this - maybe some harsh comments just on the situation.  I think everyone here gave you all the slack you needed.  Hindsight being what it is, you weren't ready to run a roulette.  Have a look at the OP about roulettes, and judge yourself on how much of the criteria you met (before and during) as a host.

I'm happy for you that you've got some many good things going on.  Genuinely.  You didn't have to rage quit on us, you could've just been honest about your situation rather than routinely ghosting your own game.  I think that's all people were calling you to task on - and that's not an attack.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #2138 on: November 27, 2022, 05:38:18 PM »
Jingle has a point, a little openness on the front end will save a lot of aggravation later.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2139 on: November 27, 2022, 05:40:13 PM »
Yeah. Especially for those old farts with no life.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2140 on: November 27, 2022, 05:45:31 PM »

It's not that serious mate.  Just maybe a few more check ins and updates would have been sweet.  I mean, imagine if we took as long as you did when sending songs, kinda goes both ways when you sign yourself up to host one of these.  We're not personally attacking you.

But also, perhaps you need to look at your schedule on a whole.  I'm not talking this, but real life.  I'll take '2 minutes to yourself a day' as a slight exaggeration, because everyone has more than that, it's just how they manage themselves and their time.  You've also been ill, that's not good at your age mate.  I've said that before.  You seem like what you have on is slightly getting to you, so maybe just take some time for yourself no matter what. 

And tell those bosses that shit will get done when it gets done.  Don't let them ride you, trust me, because it won't stop.  If you do shit whenever they say, it will only get worse.

Trust me, you need time for you and fun things, like this.  Life is too short to live and work for other people if you really don't want to do it and it's taking a toll on you.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2141 on: November 27, 2022, 05:48:06 PM »
The fact of the matter, Deadeye, is that you're new around here, and have been a quite likeable chap.
Roulettes are more about sending songs and getting scores. It's about getting to know people, and you had a number of people join your roulette, me included, to learn a little more about our new member.

By inviting people to join, you are also signing up to keep your end of the bargain. You don't invite people to your house, only to go out and leave them there.

There has to be some consideration on your part. Plus, now there's a Waiting List.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2142 on: November 27, 2022, 05:49:47 PM »
The fact of the matter, Deadeye, is that you're new around here, and have been a quite likeable chap.
Roulettes are more about sending songs and getting scores. It's about getting to know people, and you had a number of people join your roulette, me included, to learn a little more about our new member.

By inviting people to join, you are also signing up to keep your end of the bargain. You don't invite people to your house, only to go out and leave them there.

There has to be some consideration on your part. Plus, now there's a Waiting List.

This is the big thing hey.  The banter and getting know others.

Plus, don't invite people around and leave, they just steal all your shit.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2143 on: November 27, 2022, 07:50:19 PM »

Exactly, it's like taking out a shopping cart and not returning it to the corral....

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2144 on: November 27, 2022, 07:52:27 PM »

Exactly, it's like taking out a shopping cart and not returning it to the corral....

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #2145 on: November 27, 2022, 08:00:50 PM »

That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2146 on: November 27, 2022, 08:11:10 PM »
Suck it, Tim.  :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2147 on: November 27, 2022, 08:21:37 PM »

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #2148 on: November 27, 2022, 08:23:04 PM »
Damn...

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2149 on: November 27, 2022, 09:51:16 PM »

:rollin
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2150 on: November 27, 2022, 10:06:43 PM »
So.....Reaper just won this roulette, right?

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #2151 on: November 27, 2022, 10:30:51 PM »
So.....Reaper just won this roulette, right?
I'd say so.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Online HOF

« Reply #2152 on: November 27, 2022, 10:42:05 PM »

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2153 on: November 28, 2022, 03:18:57 AM »
Damn cyber bullies.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2154 on: November 28, 2022, 03:23:50 AM »
Deadeye, serious question mate, you are struggling at the moment with one sing each with your current schedule, how are you going to go with 18 full albums?

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #2155 on: November 28, 2022, 03:41:18 AM »
I don't know about others but I'm fine with just one sentence (why you liked/didn't like the song) and score, no need for huge writeups nor hangman. Just keep us posted, what phase you're in, when can you deliver results etc.
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline Deadeye21

Re: Deadeye21’s Song Roulette - Round 9 Results
« Reply #2156 on: November 28, 2022, 05:10:23 AM »
Up to you guys if I should do the album round, it’ll be limited to top 3 anyway, but the next few weeks aren’t quieting down much.

Anyway, although I haven’t done the math for the points tally, here’s the results. Would someone mind running the numbers for me?

Checked Out
Sent by kingshmegland

Ooh, this is catchy. I love the riff from the outset, but the vocals (especially with those harmonies) are just so catchy! All the little guitar runs are so cool. That chorus is the perfect amount of crushingly heavy and infuriatingly singable! That breakdown with the choir is good fun too. That solo section was something else, with the rhythm section doing some really cool timing changes. And that’s just the start of the instrumental! The riffing that follows is super awesome!

This is one of the songs that I felt I had the best time with in this round, and maybe throughout the course of the roulette. You’ve always had great songs, but you’ve finally got yourself a winner!

Worlds Away
Sent by romdrums

Certainly a ballsy choice, an almost 8-minute instrumental. And yet, within the first 90 seconds, it’s easy to see why you went with this. There’s a whole lot of variety on offer here if one dares to listen. From a heavier opening featuring a strange lead that goes into a melodic section that almost fills in the backstory of why that lead sounds that way and then recapitalising on these themes. But, it’s at 3:40 where my favourite melody of the song comes into focus. So calm and tranquil over a busy drum track that stands to imply the tension beneath the beauty. The way we build out of this section into something even more beautiful is amazing!

This instrumental was worth pushing as your last submission, rom. It’s amazing!

Ask For Help
Sent by ReaperKK

This is another one that might need to go into my playlist, but my ‘between sets at gigs’ playlist too. I love the sound of this song. The melody and harmony counterpoint so beautifully. I like the lyrics a lot here too. This reminds me a lot of Sad American that you sent  a few rounds ago instrumentally. I love the idea of the “why is it so crucial who does as long as it gets done”.
This roulette is subjective and this song has  hit me in just the right way that, while it isn’t the round winner, this is right up the top. Thanks for playing, Reaper.

Revelation
Sent by wolfking

I do love that dissolve effect that’s used at the start of this one. That abrupt stop into the melodic verse was a little odd, but it sounded really cool so I can’t complain. Great vocals, great instrumental and man, what a chorus! This thing is epic and an awesome way to end off the final listen throughs for this round.

Space Whisperer
Sent by jingle.boy

Man, that intro is a bit weird, but that riff makes up for it  instantaneously. Great tones all over, including the singer’s vocal timbre. The keyboards add a lot without being overbearing, especially in the chorus. The instrumental bridge could’ve done without the speech over the top, but I love how the solo section is a lot of everything at once without feeling like too much of anything. Great restraint while going all out.

4.75, missing out on a total 5 for using speech that really adds nothing of value multiple times.

My Famed Disappearing Act
Sent by Buddyhunter1

Who needs subtlety? This intro comes out guns blazing. I get a bit of a Haken feeling out of this overall actually, but those horns are a super nice touch. I love the prechorus, actually prefer it to the main chorus section. (Just in case, I’m talking about the “burn my bridges”). I really enjoy that bridge with the multiple vocal parts too. The little horns and strings ensemble into the guitar solo is great, and need I speak to how blistering that guitar solo is? Fantastic!

It’s hard to put my finger on what it is exactly, but I feel like there’s something a little bit lacking energy wise. It’s all there, it’s all clearly being given a wholeassed performance, there’s just something a little weak somewhere in my ears that doesn’t quite add up. All together though, banger of a song.

Life
Sent by lonestar

Ok, straight off the bat, is that Portnoy’s FII tour kit in the video? Looks a lot like it to me.
Ok, onto the song. This has a lot of cool hooks when it comes to the melody. Another song where the language barrier hasn’t actually gotten in the way because everything is so strong. I love those backing vocals through the second chorus. The solo is great, especially with the harmonised sections. This feels like it would be a good encore song for them. I could definitely get behind singing along to that whoa-oh melody in the audience. She’s got a wicked voice!

Miasma
Sent by twosuitsluke

Ambience to set the scene followed by a tasty drum fill to allow the rest of the band to expand upon it’s basis. The keyboards give me an extremely 80s feeling, but I would be remiss if I didn’t mention how cool it is when the harmony guitars take over that first melody in it’s second pass. The melodies here are really nice too. I like the way it all builds into the last section with that harmony riff. The solos are short, but pretty good. Can’t tell me that the riff straight after the keyboard solo isn’t based on Beat It though. The sax solo really brings it home!
It’s a solid track, though I feel like it could be stronger. Maybe it’s something in the mix or maybe it’s the bpm, but I feel like this could be a lot more pumping than it is. Even the solos feel a little like “we can definitely play these licks way faster, but we’re presenting them to you slowly” in my ear. But hey, everything here works. Just could be better executed with the exact same notes?

Brother and Sister
Sent by Vmadera00

That’s a real haunting piano melody that turns into something I could easily dance to as soon as the band kicks in! Those vocals are really nice too, so strong! Great lyrics too, I was definitely singing along with parts of the chorus. This one burns through it’s time quickly, it feels like it’s still only just kicking off when that absolute face melter of a solo kicks in.
But, I have to sin those harsh vocals. They actually really didn’t need to be there.

Bird of Sorrow
Sent by Sacul

A song that I didn’t know I needed tbh. These lyrics are both sad and inspiring. It’s ok to be afraid, to make mistakes, but at the end of the day we have to keep going. Love and joy will find us again if we keep going!

I love the way that the rest of the band come in at the second chorus and reinforce the back half. This song is an emotional rollercoaster and the band participation make it so much stronger. While I feel that Glen’s voice is a bit much towards the ending while he’s screaming his heart out, it’s exactly that. He is screaming his heart out, he’s calling fir the strength to get through it and see another day.

Damn Sacul, I’m gonna miss songs like these. Even if they haven’t been the highest scorers, you’ve got my heart pinned down most of the time with the lyrics you’ve put forward.

Homebound
Sent by Puppies_On_Acid

It’s a really nice intro you have here, the chord changes hint at the darker changes to come. But then we get into the vocals. It’s back to gutturals. You know I’m not a huge fan of those, but I know you also said that it’s a tradition to send every new host a Moonsorrow song. When we get into the “when the chains are broken” section, his clean vocals are really nice! It’s the instrumental sections here that I really like, like how the solo plays out over the intro melody instead of just the chords.
Man, I feel like if it wasn’t for the harsh vocals, you’d have almost had a round winner on your hands. There is so much to enjoy here, but those verse vocals really put me off.

4.5, because your instrumental was so strong!

Over the Hillside
Sent by HOF

Such an 80s vibe, like I’m hearing a bit of Police in here. I can easily get lost in this one and I love that feeling. This is a song that I would listen to in a chilled mood and probably stick on repeat as well. It’s beautiful! That trumpet interlude is a really nice touch. This is going in my playlist for sure. There just isn’t a whole lot to say about this song though. I like that little natural harmonic sound at the end. I like the song. I just feel like there isn’t much I can say.

Millennium Quest
Sent by TAC

Ok, take my head clean off with that intro, why don’t ya? While this feels like it could easily get washed away in the genre of power metal, there are huge notes being hit seamlessly, there’s enough going on instrumentally to keep me really engaged, especially when it comes to a solo that could’ve in all honesty been just another shredfest if it weren’t for the band behind it.
Now, where it gets cool is at that 3 minute mark when it all changes. The heavy bridge into the melodic guitars is a fantastic touch. But then that unison where the bass is following the lead is SO. DAMN. COOL!!! Admittedly, I felt that the instrumental section may have stretched on a little too long, but the final verses brought it all back together for me.

I will admit, this one may have been a little too long for me in this genre, but I feel like they did a lot in that time and most of which I found really enjoyable.

Drift
Sent by Revenge319

Ok, so that intro really gives a false feeling for the song. Opening with that jazzy feeling but going into something almost grunge like before a prog af feel after the first 90 seconds. Talk about laying it all on the line for the last round. Oh, and then the jazzy feeling comes back but super heavy at the same time. Before the end, we also get something that feels like a classic musical theatre cue.
I think this song suffers from trying to be too much at once, because I’m finding that I’m getting really into what’s happening in one style and then getting torn out of it for something else. It’s quite disjointing. It’s not to say that I dislike the material here, because I really don’t. Everything that makes up this song is really quite cool. But I don’t think it all belongs together the way it’s presented here, maybe a few more transitional moments could’ve turned this around.

No Sugar Tonight/New Mother Nature
Sent by Stadler

That intro sets this song up to feel really fun, which is a feeling it doesn’t drop at all. I found myself singing along to the chorus the second time. Even though this labels itself as two songs, New Mother Nature slots in as a second half easily. I love the interplay in the third verse of New Mother Nature where the first verse of No Sugar Tonight sits in as a backing vocal and then scatting the chorus line as an ending.  This is just a really fun song that left me with a smile.

Can You Hear the Rain
Sent by Tomislav95

Brutal honesty straight up? I hate that drum tone. So synthetic and kinda unsuited to the song. I felt like I should just get that out of the way.
Right, onto everything else. I love that clean guitar tone that sets the whole song into motion. I think his vocal timbre is quite interesting. The riffs are pretty cool, especially in that instrumental section. I love the way the first ‘solo’ is done on the clean. It’s well structured, it’s nicely paced and the bridge section has a really cool eeriness to it. The ending solo is really good, though it triggers one of my pet peeves. NEVER FADE OUT A SOLO WHEN IT’S FINDING IT’S FEET!!
But, when all is said and done, it is a little basic. Solid effort though.

My Mystic Mind
Sent by Senecadawg2

That lead riff could’ve fit on Alice Cooper’s Brutal Planet without a struggle, it’s an immense intro. The piano break is a nice touch. I gotta say though, while they are great, the tone of the vocals here are pretty much exactly what I hear when I think of power metal in general.
The thing for me is this feels like just another power metal song. This one doesn’t overly set itself apart in the genre and I found it a little forgettable. The solo is cool, everything sounds fine, but I just didn’t get blown away and feel like “holy crap! I found that golden nugget that’s gonna turn it all around for me on this genre”.

Baltimore
Sent by Elite

What an intriguing piano motif. I really like the fluctuating rhyming pattern and the vocal melody. It’s an intriguing story actually. It’s hard to really put my finger on what I like about this other than the storyline. There’s not a lot here to really get behind here for me. But an interesting listen, nonetheless.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #2157 on: November 28, 2022, 05:12:48 AM »
Life is there standard closing song, and it works brilliantly.

Offline Deadeye21

« Reply #2158 on: November 28, 2022, 05:20:25 AM »

I knew it!

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #2159 on: November 28, 2022, 06:00:51 AM »

I knew it!

Here's some cell phone video of it when I saw them in LA

https://youtu.be/D8jfbHaf6Po

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #2160 on: November 28, 2022, 06:09:47 AM »
So do we send an album or not?
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #2161 on: November 28, 2022, 06:12:36 AM »
You mention her wicked voice... Mayu also does growls too, very diverse singer. Also tough as nails, she sang at Aftershock festival at 7/8 months pregnant.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2162 on: November 28, 2022, 06:17:03 AM »
Glad you enjoyed KoC and thank you for letting me participate in your roulette!

Offline Deadeye21

« Reply #2163 on: November 28, 2022, 06:31:10 AM »
So do we send an album or not?

I have no idea currently.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2164 on: November 28, 2022, 06:50:12 AM »
Glad you liked it Deadeye21!  You can't get the melodies out of your head.  I can't get enough of this band.

Offline romdrums

« Reply #2165 on: November 28, 2022, 07:13:38 AM »
Glad you dug that song, Deadeye.  The whole album is fantastic, btw, and was what really got me into appreciating more instrumental music in general.   :tup
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Online HOF

« Reply #2166 on: November 28, 2022, 07:18:19 AM »
If I’m counting the points right, I say we stop the count now.  ;)

Online HOF

« Reply #2167 on: November 28, 2022, 07:22:09 AM »
Over the Hillside
Sent by HOF

Such an 80s vibe, like I’m hearing a bit of Police in here. I can easily get lost in this one and I love that feeling. This is a song that I would listen to in a chilled mood and probably stick on repeat as well. It’s beautiful! That trumpet interlude is a really nice touch. This is going in my playlist for sure. There just isn’t a whole lot to say about this song though. I like that little natural harmonic sound at the end. I like the song. I just feel like there isn’t much I can say.

That’s really about all that needs to be said!

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #2168 on: November 28, 2022, 07:33:36 AM »
Awesome! Thank You Scientist is a super fun band, you'd definitely enjoy more of their stuff.

And here, I ran the numbers for everyone. :biggrin:

1: Buddyhunter1 - 999,999
2: ReaperKK - 1
2: senecadawg2 - 1
2: lonestar - 1
2: Revenge319 - 1
2: kingshmegland - 1
2: Puppies_On_Acid - 1
2: Vmadera00 - 1
2: HOF - 1
2: wolfking - 1
2: jingle.boy - 1
2: romdrums - 1
2: Sacul - 1
2: Tomislav95 - 1
2: Stadler - 1
2: twosuitsluke - 1
2: Elite - 1
3: TAC - 0 (lost all points due to major burn earlier)
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #2169 on: November 28, 2022, 07:36:49 AM »
 :lol