Author Topic: Deadeye21’s Song Roulette - Round 9 Results  (Read 66959 times)

Offline Deadeye21

• 30 years say we’re in this together
Re: Deadeye21’s Song Roulette - Round 8 Results (F'n Finally!!)
« Reply #1925 on: October 29, 2022, 08:30:50 PM »
Fading Light

Genesis, we meet again!
I really like the ambience of the intro here. Just from the way the lyrics play out and the general feeling here, I'm not at all surprised to find out that this one is an album closing track. I can just feel it.

I really love how when everything kicks in, it all feels earned. We've built our way here. And I feel like if I had listened to the whole album to get here, this would feel like a great payoff.That keyboard melody with the lower lead sound is really catchy, and then the synth stabs are so cool too. Hell, this whole thing just feels like such an upbeat reward for the build up of the opening verses!

And the closing lyrics are superb too. Nah, you hit a winner with this one. I haven't been super keen on Genesis with some earlier choices in this Roulette, but man, this one really makes me want to check out at least the rest of this album!

4.5 + 1
Let's go with a P for Deadeye has premature alphabetejaculation.

Offline Deadeye21

« Reply #1926 on: October 29, 2022, 09:20:08 PM »
Mirror of Souls

In every song I've listened to this round, I've said "man, this feels too long". This doesn't. And I have no idea why that is when this song is actually the longest of them all in this round. This is a song that would've dominated in the "song with a story" round, but it also absolutely smashed this round! I think the fact that every chapter of the story was clearly marked by different music was a great touch. The vocals absolutely punched through perfectly and made for a cohesive story, topped up with captivating melodies. This song never faltered, featured all the right steps to make it compelling, and didn't ever feel like it was relying on anything as a crutch. Don't like the vocals in a section? tune out and listen to the instrumental. The inverse is true as well.

Suffice to say, we might have a winner for this round.

5 + 1
« Last Edit: October 29, 2022, 09:25:50 PM by Deadeye21 »

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #1927 on: October 29, 2022, 09:26:44 PM »
 :corn

Offline Deadeye21

« Reply #1928 on: October 29, 2022, 09:43:49 PM »
Retrospective

Damn! What a powerhouse of riffage to kick this one off. And then mellowing out so quickly, but so controlled that it doesn’t feel completely out of place.

This one really sets itself up well in the first five minutes. There’s a lot of great instrumental and vocal work happening all throughout and it feels like it’s all constantly building.
These lyrics don’t paint the most beautiful picture for the character they’re describing.

The solo at the 9:50 mark and the riff following it don’t at all remind me of Awake era DT, and the stabs and riff following that DEFINITELY don’t go into Learning to Live territory. Nor does it eventually go into Fatal Tragedy. Man, this instrumental section is such a great section, but it’s definitely got a lot in there that I can recognise as being very DT influenced. Hell, there’s even a rhythmic stab that is directly influenced by Burning My Soul.
The James Bond fanatic in me may have gotten very excited by one particular section in here. In fact I screamed for glory when that hit.

This is a great song, but definitely doesn’t hit quite the same as Mirror of Souls did. But damn, what a song.

4.75 + 1

Offline Deadeye21

« Reply #1929 on: October 29, 2022, 10:03:15 PM »
Alright, I’ve got time for maybe two more before I gotta start packing up for a rehearsal

The Last Baron

Hmm, can’t really put my finger on why, but I don’t like it that much to start with. Once it starts hitting it’s stride at around the 3 minute mark, it gets way better, but that opening doesn’t do much for me at all.

And unfortunately, it seems that only the instrumental gets much better for me from here. Dad listens to a lot of Mastodon, so I’m well aware that they have as many lead singers as they do band members. I know there are some voices that work way better for me than others. I don’t know who’s singing in this one, but I’m wondering if I’d have preferred the song if it were someone else?

What’s here is cool and all, but this just doesn’t find a home with my ears.

3.5 + 1

Offline Deadeye21

« Reply #1930 on: October 29, 2022, 10:28:04 PM »
My last one for now as I need to start packing my gear and heading out for today’s jam session. I’ll finish up the final 4 after work. Maybe even during if it’s all quiet.

A Kid Called Panic.

Straight off the bat, this song is so upbeat and I feel like I could dance to this. It really doesn’t seem like it would be about what it’s actually about. The vocals seem so approachable and the harmonies throughout are superb, though I have to throw a quick highlight to the one halfway through the first verse. If you’ve heard the song, you know exactly which one I mean.

As I mentioned, the sound of the song really doesn’t match it’s meaning to me. But at the same time, I think that’s very fitting as I know that people who do feel like this often try to mask the negative emotions behind a more positive facade. If anyone here relates to these lyrics and actually wants to talk about it, I’m here for them.

This is just a super enjoyable listen. Great pick.

5 + 1

Online HOF

« Reply #1931 on: October 29, 2022, 11:07:22 PM »
My last one for now as I need to start packing my gear and heading out for today’s jam session. I’ll finish up the final 4 after work. Maybe even during if it’s all quiet.

A Kid Called Panic.

Straight off the bat, this song is so upbeat and I feel like I could dance to this. It really doesn’t seem like it would be about what it’s actually about. The vocals seem so approachable and the harmonies throughout are superb, though I have to throw a quick highlight to the one halfway through the first verse. If you’ve heard the song, you know exactly which one I mean.

As I mentioned, the sound of the song really doesn’t match it’s meaning to me. But at the same time, I think that’s very fitting as I know that people who do feel like this often try to mask the negative emotions behind a more positive facade. If anyone here relates to these lyrics and actually wants to talk about it, I’m here for them.

This is just a super enjoyable listen. Great pick.

5 + 1

Glad you liked it! It’s a remarkable song from a remarkable album. Those harmonies are definitely a Moon Safari trademark, so there’s plenty more where those came from. Definitely check out the Lover’s End album, as well as Lover’s End Part III (which is a separate release but a continuation of theme from Lover’s End, which contains Part I and II).

I think you hit the nail on the head with the music not matching the lyrics and why it still makes sense. I can relate to the lyrics for sure, even if I’ve not quite experienced things on quite the same level as what is portrayed in the song.

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #1932 on: October 29, 2022, 11:32:01 PM »
Well I'm not sure what I expected from The Dripping Tap, it is a bit of an acquired taste, but I goddamn love it. I love that it's a giant jam session. Also, King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard often have songs with repetitive lyrics like the "drip, drip from the tap, don't slip" bit. My son loves it when I sing that to him, he finds it really funny  :lol

Didn't expect the greatest score, so that's fine.

I am surprised that The Last Baron scored even lower though! Maybe you just need to clean your ears out!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1933 on: October 30, 2022, 04:27:24 AM »
So I’m sorry. Are we doing the Round 9 or are we going straight to the Album Round?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Deadeye21

« Reply #1934 on: October 30, 2022, 05:36:04 AM »
So I’m sorry. Are we doing the Round 9 or are we going straight to the Album Round?

I honestly don’t know at this point. We’ll discuss it tomorrow. I mean, if we go another shorty round, like under 5 mins open category, I can probably make that work.

Offline Deadeye21

« Reply #1935 on: October 30, 2022, 06:05:28 AM »
Well, we did one Mastodon track, let's jump to the next one.

The Czar

I gotta say, I really like that organ building up in the intro and the way it lets the guitar bleed out of it. Once the band kicks in, this first riff really fires on the right cylinders for me. The opening vocal passage gets me too, I'm sucked in for whatever is gonna happen with this one. Hell, I found myself singing along before too long.

Man, the second section opens with a crushing riff and just stays rocking, hey? This one really does for me what I wanted Last Baron to do. The vocals here sit a lot better in my ears too.

I did think it was maybe a little much to repeat each lyrical segment instead of writing more to fit the melody once it was established. It feels a little inorganic, which is a big shame. Everything that's happening in this song is great, so to have those repeated segments in there makes the song feel like it's cheating just a little bit.

This definitely renews my faith in checking out the rest of Crack the Skye though.

4.5 + 1

Offline Deadeye21

« Reply #1936 on: October 30, 2022, 06:25:19 AM »
Second Life Syndrome

With how epic my introduction to Riverside was, I actually have high expectations for this one. Let's see if it holds up.

Well, it's another great intro, that's for sure. Super atmospherics giving way to the bass and drums really supporting that solo beautifully. And after that first verse, we get another great riff that's super rocking but manages to still hold off from being too bombastic as the track hasn't yet boiled over to it.

And as I look and see that the first third of this song has passed so quickly, I'm realising that Riverside are a band I very much need to get into. Everything seems to just click with these guys.

I really love that effect on the bass that comes in at the 6:00 mark or thereabouts. It's so sleek and kinda tasty for the lack of a better word.The whole melodic section that this riff brings in is a highlight actually. And what a great solo shortly after.

I get a bit lost in the ending though, it's really nice but I feel like I've lost sight of what direction the song was going as we draw to an end. Maybe it's just me though.

I don't think this one is quite as "me" as was Hybrid Times, but that's the nature of all music, right? Everyone has their own taste. This is great song though, and makes me want to just check out more Riverside.

4.75 + 1

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1937 on: October 30, 2022, 06:44:48 AM »
Second life Syndrome is by far my favorite Riverside song. Definitely check out that entire album. Or the one Sacul recommended  :metal
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline Deadeye21

« Reply #1938 on: October 30, 2022, 06:47:11 AM »
Two left. Then and only the n am I allowed to have dinner tonight.

Woolgatherer

A nice and fragile sounding intro, once again giving me As Death Embraces vibes. However this vibe doesn't last. No, that merely acts as a prologue to the amazing sound that we soon emerge into. Man, what a great guitar hook!

I actually have to admit, I love the ewhole back and forth feel between the powerful orchestrations of the distorted guitars and the folky feel of the verses between.

But then you drop me into a deathly growling section. Damn, just when I thought I'd get on really well with this one.
But, at least I can easily tune out and listen to the guitars, those glorious guitars.

But this is overly quickly and we're into a heavier folky verse. Song redeemed. And then we go into that beautiful acoustic lead section.

Man, this song just keeps moving around, hey? It's great, actually. I don't feel like I'm stuck with any one piece for too long. I love the darkness that starts seeping in. Though, I must admit, I hear a really high pitched sound, kinda like tinnitus. Is this actually a part of the song? It distracted the hell out of me each time it came up. Next I'll found out there was no such thing and I'm going mad.

Damn, that solo was something else though.

Wow, this song was so much and yet I still didn't want it to end. Which actually felt like it might have done a minute before it did, as that coda with the demented keys sounds like very much something else starting rather than Woolgatherer ending. I think if this hadn't added that part and maybe had just a hair less of the growls, this would be a perfect 5 from me. It's very high up the list, but it's just held back a little for my own personal taste.

4.75 + 1

Offline Deadeye21

« Reply #1939 on: October 30, 2022, 06:58:47 AM »
Highlander

Is it finally time? It is! The last song of the round!

From the opening piano, we get a great scene setter. Once that flanger kicks in on the guitar and the second verse begins, we know we're in for it. This is power metal heaven man. Such a great feeling all around. I feel like this song is actually sung by Sean Connery's character in Highlander about Connor Lambert or whatever his name was.

The leads are great, the vocals are awesome! This has so much working for it, bar the subpar early 2000s production (I'm not a huge fan of anything produced in this era apart from Brave New World really).

Can we just take a moment to appreciate that high note at 7:20? Like damn, dude's got some range!

But I feel like for all of this song's strengths, of which there are many, I have done the song a disservice by leaving it to this point. Everything that's here is brilliant, but I feel like other songs in this round have just done on eo the elements of this song a bit better, leaving this a Jack of all trades but not quite the master of any.

I loved it thoroughly, but I feel like this is where it ends up for me.

4.5+1

Offline Deadeye21

« Reply #1940 on: October 30, 2022, 06:59:34 AM »
Right, that's it. I'm gonna eat and then I'll put all of the points tallies together and let you know where everything is standing

Offline Deadeye21

« Reply #1941 on: October 30, 2022, 07:48:19 AM »
Hey TAC, congratulations mate. This is your second round winning song (you previously won in Round Five with Don’t Believe a Word) which actually makes you the first to win two rounds of this Roulette.

There were a lot of great songs in this round, best made evident by the fact that 9th place in this list was STILL a 4.75! Like damn.

TAC: Mirror of Souls
Sacul: Hybrid Times
HOF: A Kid Called Panic
kingshmegland: At the End of the Day
romdrums: Sacred Sound
jingle.boy: How Long
Elite: Woolgatherer
lonestar: Retrospective
Revenge319: Second Light Syndrome
Stadler: Fading Light
Tomislav95: The Czar
wolfking: Highlander
Senecadawg2: Close to the Edge
Puppies_On_Acid: Jotunheim
twosuitsluke: Dripping Tap
ReaperKK: Ljudet Innan
Vmadera00: Last Baron
Buddyhunter1 Presence of Goddess

Offline Deadeye21

Re: Deadeye21’s Song Roulette - Round 8 Completed
« Reply #1942 on: October 30, 2022, 08:41:24 AM »
Forgive me as it is past 10:30 pm so my math could be just a little off here. But, if my calculations are correct (and I pray someone will check for me) here it is

The score so far...
HOF - 38.75
Kingshmegland - 37
TAC - 36.75
Sacul - 36
Tomislav95 - 36
jingle.boy -35.25
lonestar - 35.25
Puppies_On_Acid - 34.75
romdrums - 34.5
ReaperKK - 34
Buddyhunter1 - 33.25
Vmadera00 - 33
wolfking - 32.5
Senecadawg2 - 32.5
Elite - 32
Stadler - 32
Revenge319 - 31.75
twosuitsluke - 31.75

Inbox emptied a bit. Go for it.

Offline Deadeye21

« Reply #1943 on: October 30, 2022, 09:16:29 AM »
For anyone confused I think we’ll do one last round before the albums. It’s open, but if we can cap it at absolutely no more than 6 minutes a piece, that’d be grand. Hopefully that duesn’t invalidate anything already sent. Haven’t really looked.

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #1944 on: October 30, 2022, 09:20:55 AM »
Oh damn, I didn't realise I was doing that bad  :lol  I mean there is zero pressure to pick something that score well. Guess I'll send some weird shit.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1945 on: October 30, 2022, 09:34:17 AM »
jingle.boy -35.25
lonestar - 35.25

It's on, Cheffy-Poo

:cheffypoo:

:jingleboy:
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Revenge319

• I once thought it better to regret...
« Reply #1946 on: October 30, 2022, 09:37:28 AM »
I almost sent Hybrid Times for this round, so I am grateful that Sacul sent it so that you could experience its brilliance. Definitely worthy of a 5/5, I say! Nice to hear you liked Second Life Syndrome as well!

Also, when comparing Mastodon songs, I agree that The Czar is better than The Last Baron. There's nothing wrong with TLB, but there isn't much in the song that really interests me and I don't remember much about it despite having listened to it a few times.

I shall send for Round 9 soon!

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #1947 on: October 30, 2022, 09:51:49 AM »
For anyone confused I think we’ll do one last round before the albums. It’s open, but if we can cap it at absolutely no more than 6 minutes a piece, that’d be grand. Hopefully that duesn’t invalidate anything already sent. Haven’t really looked.
The round 9 song I sent months ago is 8 minutes....I guess I can find something else.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Deadeye21

« Reply #1948 on: October 30, 2022, 09:54:28 AM »
The round 9 song I sent months ago is 8 minutes....I guess I can find something else.

Yeah, that’s what I was worried about. If you really don’t want to, I guess we can extend?

Offline Deadeye21

« Reply #1949 on: October 30, 2022, 09:55:48 AM »
Oh damn, I didn't realise I was doing that bad  :lol  I mean there is zero pressure to pick something that score well. Guess I'll send some weird shit.

Sorry Luke. There were just so many great songs here that it really changed things up this round.

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #1950 on: October 30, 2022, 09:57:29 AM »
Welp, there go my hopes and dreams. I was considering cheating and just sending you another Riverisde song this round cuz your rules allow it for some reason (feel free to stea my idea, folks ;) ) but I’m not close to the top of the rankings any more so there’s little point.

Will find something on the shorter side to send!
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #1951 on: October 30, 2022, 09:58:31 AM »
jingle.boy -35.25
lonestar - 35.25

It's on, Cheffy-Poo

:cheffypoo:

:jingleboy:

Sent my current favorite song...you're doomed bro. Someone above us is gonna have to tank for us to make it to the medal round though...

I think I squeaked in at 5:30 ish...

Offline Deadeye21

« Reply #1952 on: October 30, 2022, 10:00:25 AM »
I almost sent Hybrid Times for this round, so I am grateful that Sacul sent it so that you could experience its brilliance. Definitely worthy of a 5/5, I say! Nice to hear you liked Second Life Syndrome as well!

Also, when comparing Mastodon songs, I agree that The Czar is better than The Last Baron. There's nothing wrong with TLB, but there isn't much in the song that really interests me and I don't remember much about it despite having listened to it a few times.

I think it goes without saying, Riverside is very very good and I’m looking forward to furthering my exploration of the band once this roulette is over.

Yeah, I think you said it best. The Czar piques my interest in a way that Baron didn’t. And I think that the lack of interest really lost it for me.

Offline Revenge319

• I once thought it better to regret...
« Reply #1953 on: October 30, 2022, 10:02:15 AM »
Sent! And then sent again because I forgot to link the song in the initial submission. :lol

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1954 on: October 30, 2022, 10:06:10 AM »

Yeah, that’s what I was worried about. If you really don’t want to, I guess we can extend?
Actually it's fine. I have something else to send. I'll replace the song on the Spotify playlist in a little bit.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #1955 on: October 30, 2022, 10:16:55 AM »
Sent something with a great saxophone solo  :tup

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1956 on: October 30, 2022, 10:20:09 AM »
Rivers of Nihil - The Silent Life
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #1957 on: October 30, 2022, 10:23:05 AM »
I sent an absolute roulette classic that I haven't seen sent in a long time :corn

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #1958 on: October 30, 2022, 10:23:19 AM »
Rivers of Nihil - The Silent Life

• DTF.org Member
aka Puppies_On_Acid