Author Topic: Deadeye21’s Song Roulette - Round 9 Results  (Read 66847 times)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: Deadeye21’s Song Roulette - The Dead Man’s Hand - Round 4 Impressions
« Reply #1050 on: August 05, 2022, 02:45:37 PM »
Sorry all, yesterday was Dad’s birthday and I had a gig so I didn’t get on the forums. Link to the full performance here if anyone cares.
https://www.facebook.com/cael.mcleish/videos/386969610208415/

Were you singing to Batman and Robin as they were climbing a building?

;D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Revenge319

• I once thought it better to regret...
« Reply #1051 on: August 05, 2022, 05:56:31 PM »
This feels like a jam session captured in the studio and if that’s the case, I wish I had been there.

I feel like this one might be mine, considering how the song's production sounds.

Offline Deadeye21

• 30 years say we’re in this together
« Reply #1052 on: August 05, 2022, 06:19:46 PM »
Sorry all, yesterday was Dad’s birthday and I had a gig so I didn’t get on the forums. Link to the full performance here if anyone cares.
https://www.facebook.com/cael.mcleish/videos/386969610208415/

Were you singing to Batman and Robin as they were climbing a building?

;D

No, I tried to film landscape and apparently I set it up wrong. Being that nothing interesting happens visually though, I don’t care.
Let's go with a P for Deadeye has premature alphabetejaculation.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1053 on: August 05, 2022, 06:21:49 PM »
It was a nice performance.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Deadeye21

« Reply #1054 on: August 05, 2022, 06:24:13 PM »
Cheers mate, all of those songs are at least co-written, if not fully composed, by me!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1055 on: August 05, 2022, 06:25:09 PM »
Totally cool.

Now give the people their First Impressions! ;D

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1056 on: August 05, 2022, 06:25:20 PM »

Yeah, I flicked through and mate you have a really wonderful voice, very impressive. 

I have no idea on any of the songs you're singing though, are they originals?
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1057 on: August 05, 2022, 06:25:39 PM »
Totally cool.

Now give the people their First Impressions! ;D

Yes, we've given ours!  ;D

Offline Deadeye21

« Reply #1058 on: August 05, 2022, 06:28:00 PM »
The jam session one.
Nope

I give up.

:hifive:

Wolf gives up, so I’m outing his.

Agalloch - Odal: I love the guitar tones on this one.

This feels like a jam session captured in the studio and if that’s the case, I wish I had been there.

I feel like this one might be mine, considering how the song's production sounds.

This is not you. I’ll give a clue that hopefully clears this impression up. The song is significantly older than Precious Memories, but not the oldest song in the list.

You guys have about a day to finish these before I post the finished lot.

Offline Deadeye21

« Reply #1059 on: August 05, 2022, 06:29:56 PM »

Yeah, I flicked through and mate you have a really wonderful voice, very impressive. 

I have no idea on any of the songs you're singing though, are they originals?

Cheers. It’s even better when I can actually hit the high notes, but the sicknesses that put this on hiatus actually screwed that up too.

Yep, all original. Just some were written with other people.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1060 on: August 05, 2022, 06:30:34 PM »
Impressive mate.  I hope you can get some sort of career going out of it.

Offline Deadeye21

« Reply #1061 on: August 05, 2022, 06:32:31 PM »

Thanks mate. That’s the dream.

Or, you know, Jack Black in School of Rock. That could be fun too.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1062 on: August 05, 2022, 06:39:07 PM »
That's a great movie!

It's a pathetic character, but tons of great lines in it.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1063 on: August 05, 2022, 06:51:20 PM »

The end concert in that movie is a place in New Jersey that I go to a prog rock festival yearly. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1064 on: August 05, 2022, 07:00:55 PM »

The end concert in that movie is a place in New Jersey that I go to a prog rock festival yearly.

You go to watch little kids play music?

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #1065 on: August 05, 2022, 07:05:51 PM »

No shit? That was done where we saw IQ?

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1066 on: August 05, 2022, 07:07:26 PM »
Yes. At my age, their all kids. Lol

RJ, Yes!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #1067 on: August 05, 2022, 07:18:24 PM »
Well shit, I never had a clue. Very cool!!

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1068 on: August 06, 2022, 08:31:01 AM »
I’m not sure whether we all suck at matching th impression, or if Deadeye sucks at his impressions.  :lol  It’s like when the entire class fails a test - the problem is likely with the teacher.

I found first impressions tough, I wanted them vague enough that they weren't easily guessable, plus I'd give a legit first impression of the first pass through of the song.

Offline Deadeye21

« Reply #1069 on: August 06, 2022, 07:34:50 PM »
Just to be different, should I post the writeups as I finish them, or do you want to wait until they’re all done and posted in order?

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1070 on: August 06, 2022, 07:44:09 PM »
It is up to you! I don't think anyone has a preference.

Offline Deadeye21

Pink Floyd - Marooned: Both tranquil and dramatic at the same time.

Gleb Kolyadin - Insight: Amazing piano playing

From Monument to Masses - Beyond God and Elvis: There’s such a great upbeat vibe to this!

Asterism - Dawn: This thing hooked me from the start and didn’t let go!!

Mason Williams - Classical Gas: Some real nice guitar work here

Alleageon - Concerto in Dm: Something about orchestras just takes epic and elevates it to a whole other dimension!

Godspeed You! Black Emperor - Sleep: This was a little much for it’s own good.

Russian Circles - Death Rides a Horse: I like how everyone gets a moment to shine in this one!

Challenger Deep - 100 Years: Upbeat and rocking with some great leads to boot.

East of the Wall - Precious Memories: This was amazing! Great playing from everyone in this one.

Angel Vivaldi - Sea of Heartbreak: This is beautiful. Amazingly skilled lead guitar complimented by a really nice acoustic guitar in the backing.

Agalloch - Odal: I love the guitar tones on this one.

Steve Morse - Cruise Missile: It would be easy to say great guitar playing, but that bass solo!

Lauri Porra - Dislocated: This one is actually really cool, I love how it keeps changing!

BADBADNOTGOOD - Comfessions: I do love a good bit of horn every now and then!

Deep Purple - Son of Alerik! This feels like a jam session captured in the studio and if that’s the case, I wish I had been there.

Duke Ellington - Blue Pepper (Far East of the Blues): Bringing a new definition of old school to this roulette and I’m all for it!

The Black Mages - Force Your Way: Some real nice keyboard work on display here!

Offline Deadeye21

Re: Deadeye21’s Song Roulette - The Dead Man’s Hand - Round 4 Results!
« Reply #1072 on: August 06, 2022, 10:48:55 PM »
This round was a super hard one to judge. So much great stuff here, you’ve all picked great tracks. Let’s get into it.

Asterism - Dawn
Sent by lonestar
This is the one for me this round. From the captivating clean guitars that turn into an incredibly heavy riff (which I didn’t realise until further replays was playing over the original clean) and then into just insane lead skills and more insane riffing. This is just so well composed that it keeps me on my toes the whole time wondering what’s coming next! This thing is ten minutes long (almost), but it really doesn’t feel like it at all! Then we get that beautiful section of clean guitars and a bass solo that just turns into the most feel good melodic solo! Goddamn, I love this track! And though it doesn’t effect anything, holy hell they’re all so young! Try not making it so hard for anyone else to compare next time. There are other 5/5s on this list, but they don’t stack up quite as high on this list as this one does!

5 + 1

Challenger Deep - 100 Years
Sent by romdrums
It’s really cool when a band can pull off being upbeat and yet stay heavy. This pulls it off really nicely. The leads in this are really nice, I really dig that bendy pattern. I actually find it pretty hard to pick a favourite element or section in this song. There’s just so much to love on this one!

5 + 1

Angel Vivaldi - Sea of Heartbreak
Sent by romdrums
This one took me by surprise a little because I was really not expecting the acoustic guitar and electric leads to sound so great together. But this track is an absolute standout. This almost gives me some Petrucci vibes at times, but it’s always amazing. Even at almost 5 and a half minutes of great soloing, it never overstays it’s welcome. There’s a cool little bass lead in there, the mixing is great, the tones are beautiful. This one stands high in the rankings for sure.

5 + 1

From Monument to Masses - Beyond God & Elvis
Sent by ReaperKK
Mate, I gotta hand it to you. This was an unexpected highlight. That upbeat main section was really beautiful and played really nicely. I liked that the heavier rhythmic sections never became too overpowering and kept control perfectly so it was seamless to come back to the upbeat stuff. And then that second half was even nicer! The section after that little speech was so epic too. Totally worth the full marks!

5 + 1

Russian Circles - Death Rides a Horse
Sent by Tomislav95
You know what’s really cool about this song to me is the way my perspective is shifted during the first section. With the repetitive lead, I’m now listening more to the rhythm section that’s constantly changing underneath. The cleaver section soon after is really interesting and then it never really lets up from there with the cool leads. That super heavy riff around the 3 minute mark is one of my favourite individual riffs in this round. As said in the impressions, I love that everyone is getting a chance to shine here, with the rhythm guitar taking a lot of the first half, a cool bass lead and even a drum break before this all ends super heavy!

4.75 + 1

Gleb Kolyadin - Insight
Sent by HOF
This is just a powerhouse of piano playing through and through, but that drummer does an admirable job of keeping up with Gleb (who I’m assuming is a woman based in the cover photo?). This song is plenty short in the scheme of this round and though I miss hearing a bit of guitar underneath (more than made up for by the ending though), this is fantastic and captivating! Wasn’t expecting the saxophone here and I’ve forgotten about it every time I’ve heard this track, so it’s a nice surprise. Such skill on display here that I really want to check out more from Gleb. There’s a really proggy vibe to this and it really kicks ass! Nice choice, HOF.

4.75 + 1

Duke Ellington (Far East of the Blues)
Sent by Elite
Why not go for the least obvious choice, hey Elite? It worked out for you real nicely. I don’t listen to a lot of the old big band type stuff, but I often enjoy it when I do. Duke Ellington just has such a soul to his music and this was no exception. This is just classic big band music at it’s best. Amazing choice, I really didn’t expect anyone to go there! I actually would’ve liked this one to go a little bit longer, if I’m honest. Maybe get a bit more of that piano in there. But I’m not here to nitpick.

4.75 + 1

Steve Morse - Cruise Missile
Sent by kingshmegland
Steve Morse is way beyond talented as a guitarist. If you doubt that statement, I recommend you check this one out. There’s so many cool riffs and motifs on display here that it’s insane. But, a good guitarist alone doesn’t make a good song. My highlight is actually the bass solo and even more so, the way it ends in that unison between bass and guitar. Everything here is firing on all cylinders and it’s super fun to listen to. Good pick, mate.

4.75 + 1

Alleageon - Concerto in Dm
Sent by TAC
This is fairly awesome. I love the way the heavy rocking blends in with the orchestra on this one. It’s a killer performance. The acoustics are a nice break in the action too. This is actually fairly great, not going to lie. But I think it’s actually maybe not as high up as I originally thought. This does go on a little long for me by the time it ends. All up though, it is a real cool show of talent.

4.5 + 1

Lorri Porra - Dislocated
Sent by Buddyhunter1
I don’t quite know how I feel about this one. The first minute and a half or so takes a while to build up, but then that piano/guitar melody kicks in. There’s a few guitar lines in here that remind me of Rush’s Grace Under Pressure actually. Those big orchestral moments just kinda kill the mood for me a bit, but they always lead somewhere interesting. The bass solo on this is a definite highlight, like damn!

4 + 1

East of the Wall - Precious Memories
Sent by Revenge319
This one is super heavy! Huge props to the rhythm section on this one actually, the bass and drum work on this is really good. The guitars are nice and fat and churning out really good riffs and leads. I think Precious Memories is probably the most misleading title they could’ve come up with for this one though. This is a juggernaut of a track! The riff towards the end (around the 3:30 mark) is my favourite of the song. There’s maybe a little too much going on at times, but man, I like it!

4 + 1

BADBADNOTGOOD - Confessions
Sent by Sacul
With many of these tracks being your usual rocking instrumental affair, this one was quite different. I really like the backing, especially in that intro. The sax solo is real nice too, showing off a lot of skilful playing. There’s not really a lot to say about this one. This wouldn’t usually be my scene at all, so I’m glad you took the risk here.

4 + 1

Pink Floyd - Marooned
Sent by Puppies_On_Acis
This was a great pick. There’s something about this one that feels so serene, but so dramatic too. I guess being marooned doesn’t mean you can’t be somewhere beautiful at the same time, right? This feels way shorter than it is too, which is always good. It’s not one that has a whole lot to it, but what’s here is really nice.

4 + 1

Mason Williams - Classical Gas
Sent by jingle.boy
“Now play Classical Gas” - Lenny Leonard, The Simpsons, Last Exit to Springfield.
If you’re a classic Simpsons fan, you’ve heard one of the main motifs of this song, but probably not the song itself, right? You’re making a mistake. Mason Williams’ guitar playing on this whole track is great, and the strings supporting it are fantastic. The second section with the horns is quite a cool switch up. This is just a really good listen even if it’s age means the brass is a little clippy in spots.

4 + 1

Black Mages - Force Your Way
Sent by Twosuitsluke
I know it’s from a video game, but I don’t like that it feels too much like it’s from a video game, if that makes sense? The composition is really cool, but instead of focussing solely on the music, I find my kind drifting wondering what context this music goes with. What level, is there a boss fight? To be fair, a lot of that probably comes down to the sound font used here. There’s actually some real cool motifs, I especially like the moments where it goes to the small bit of halftime before going back to the driving beat again. Those swirling leads that pop up intermittently are pretty cool too.

3.75 + 1

Deep Purple - Son of Alerik
Sent by Stadler
Being fair, you can never complain about a jam session with world class musicians like Deep Purple. But reading up on this one, it seems like that’s more or less what we have on offer here. A ten minute long Ritchie Blackmore guitar solo caught in the studio that didn’t make the original cut of the Perfect Strangers vinyl but was put out with the CD re-release years later. As good as it is, I get why. I don’t think we needed all of this since it massively stays over the same chords. As we get into the last couple of minutes, we do get a nice bit of keyboard which is cool, but it’s not a lot to drastically change it up. This feels like a legendary jam session that it would’ve been cool to be a fly on the wall for, but I really think this could’ve been edited down significantly without losing all that much.

3.5 + 1

Agalloch - Odal
Sent by wolfking
The clean tone on this song is absolutely beautiful, like tone goals beautiful! The ambient lead guitars are a really intriguing choice that I absolutely love. The military like rhythm going into the third minute of this is a cool choice. The thing for me is that this song feels very same-y after a little while. I think this is more of a song I’d want to have in in the background of doing something else than one I would purposely seek out to listen to. The piano coda is quite nice though.

3.5 + 1

Godspeed You! Black Emperor - Sleep
Sent by Senecadawg2
Sleep starts very interestingly with a spoken word passage about Coney Island before going into it’s first main motif. This has subtle evolutions to it that eventually culminate into the second idea which gets more dramatic before going into a weird section of distorted guitars. The problem is, for me, this song is best in it’s last 6 minutes. I feel like the 16 and a half minutes are a little long in the tooth and leave me waiting for it to really kick in. There’s some great playing all throughout and each idea is interesting as it starts up. Unfortunately though, it takes so long to take hold for me that when we get into those last 6 minutes, I’ve lost a lot of my interest in the track. It’s a shame as there is some really amazing stuff here for the patient, but it lives up to it’s namesake for a lot of it’s runtime.

3 + 1

The score so far
HOF  21
Kinghsmegland - 20
Sacul 20
Vmadera00 19.5
Tomislav95 19.5
TAC 19.25
Revenge319 19
lonestar 18.75
ReaperKK 18.75
jingle.boy 18.5
romdrums 18
Buddyhunter1 18
Puppies_On_Acid 17.75
wolfking 17.75
Elite 17.25
Senecadawg2 17.25
Twosuitsluke 17
Stadler 16.75

Offline Revenge319

Re: Deadeye21’s Song Roulette - The Dead Man’s Hand - Round 4 Results
« Reply #1073 on: August 06, 2022, 11:19:03 PM »
Nice to see Precious Memories did alright! I'd recommend checking out The Apologist, the album this song is from, though I will say there are some harsh vocals that sound very... unique. It's an acquired taste. There are a few other instrumental tracks on that album though, so even if the songs with vocals don't do anything for you, I think you'll probably enjoy the other instrumental tracks at least.

As for my next submission... It's time to get obscure. My score and ranking in this roulette will probably crash and burn after this, but hey, it's about having fun, right?

Offline Revenge319

« Reply #1074 on: August 07, 2022, 12:01:31 AM »
Sent for Round 5!

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #1075 on: August 07, 2022, 12:15:54 AM »
Nice man!!! Really glad that one clicked with you, it's such an amazing piece, and even more amazing that something so mature can come out of ones so young. I'm keeping a close eye on Hal-CA's career for sure, she's a very rare talent.

Sending now for Rd 5

Offline Deadeye21

« Reply #1076 on: August 07, 2022, 01:05:56 AM »
This one might be a YouTube centric round. Feel free to use YT for all your alternate version submissions.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #1077 on: August 07, 2022, 01:21:40 AM »
Duke Ellington (Far East of the Blues)
Sent by Elite
Why not go for the least obvious choice, hey Elite? It worked out for you real nicely. I don’t listen to a lot of the old big band type stuff, but I often enjoy it when I do. Duke Ellington just has such a soul to his music and this was no exception. This is just classic big band music at it’s best. Amazing choice, I really didn’t expect anyone to go there! I actually would’ve liked this one to go a little bit longer, if I’m honest. Maybe get a bit more of that piano in there. But I’m not here to nitpick.

4.75 + 1

I just love this tune. This music camp I went to, the big band started their performance with this song last year and I didn't know what it was. I was blown away by the massive sound of all the horns and it took me a while to figure out what tune it actually was that they played. This year, I was in the big band and we performed this same tune again! That was awesome to do, even though there's basically no role for guitar, other than play a solo and provide accompaniment during the other solos.

Now, whereas Duke Ellington started his career in the twenties and was at the top of the big band swing era in the 30s and 40s, this particular tune isn't actually that old-school. It's from 1967! Duke Ellington led his orchestra basically up to his death in 1974. Glad you enjoyed it :)
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1078 on: August 07, 2022, 03:33:28 AM »
Bugger.  I guess Odal is a full album context kind of song.  Probably should have thought to that beforehand.

Offline Deadeye21

« Reply #1079 on: August 07, 2022, 04:19:36 AM »
Bugger.  I guess Odal is a full album context kind of song.  Probably should have thought to that beforehand.

It ain’t bad alone. It’s just not as strong as it may be in full context.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1080 on: August 07, 2022, 04:41:44 AM »
This one might be a YouTube centric round. Feel free to use YT for all your alternate version submissions.

Nope.  It's too bad you don't know the original(s) of my submission.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Deadeye21

« Reply #1081 on: August 07, 2022, 04:46:17 AM »

I’m not asking for the originals. I’m saying it might be be easier to send the alternate version you’re submitting from YT rather than Spotty for this one.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1082 on: August 07, 2022, 04:50:36 AM »

I’m not asking for the originals. I’m saying it might be be easier to send the alternate version you’re submitting from YT rather than Spotty for this one.

Trust me.  ;)
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1083 on: August 07, 2022, 08:12:57 AM »
Nice!  Will send a song later today.  I'm actually at work right now.  Surprise attack! :lol

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #1084 on: August 07, 2022, 08:50:35 AM »

Trust me.  ;)

Chad's being cryptic...even I don't know what he's trying to insinuate. He's getting ready to go full Shmegland on us.