Author Topic: Deadeye21’s Song Roulette - Round 9 Results  (Read 66979 times)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
   The Beatles - Drive My Car:
   Great band, but the song feels a little forgettable.

:lol
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop

Oh no
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Deadeye, surely you've heard that song before?
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Deadeye21

• 30 years say we’re in this together
Deadeye, surely you've heard that song before?

Nope, never.
Let's go with a P for Deadeye has premature alphabetejaculation.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni

Man Deadeye nailed that first impression!

Offline Revenge319

• I once thought it better to regret...
   The Deer Hunter - A Night on the Town:
   This song is unfair levels of god tier.

:o

By the way, it's "Dear", not "Deer". ;)

Offline Deadeye21

The Deer Hunter - A Night on the Town:
   This song is unfair levels of god tier.

:o

By the way, it's "Dear", not "Deer". ;)

It is? Well there ya go.

Offline Deadeye21

Well, this one was good fun! Well done to everyone for some great picks!
Here we go.

Bitter Sweet - King’s X
Sent by HOF

This is one that makes me want to get into the band. The vocal layers are all really nice and every guitar part sounds really nice. This song is too short and leaves me wanting way more and I have a sneaky feeling that I’ll be right back to this album as soon as the Roulette is done. The whole thing reminds me a little of the few bits and pieces of Transatlantic I heard and I now know why my guitar tutor rates these guys so highly.

While this is actually my third favourite song of the round, you are the highest ranked song since you can actually earn the bonus point.

5 + 1

Quest for Misery - Oceans of Time
Sent by TAC

This doesn’t mess around at all. This is just heavy as hell and I’m headbanging the whole way through. I love how the keyboard lead turns into a lead guitar pattern later and the little stop/start motif reminds me of Dance of Eternity. The soloing in the second half of the song is absolutely awesome and that chugging pattern must have inspired Sons of Apollo. I do have to ask if this goes into another song based on the way it ends though, which is the only thing holding it back from a perfect 6 score. Damn, these guys are talented!

4.75 + 1

Frankly, Mr Shankly - The Smiths
Sent by senecadawg2

This one is shaping up to be one of my favourites, not going to lie. The vocal pattern is just so catchy and then there’s a really cool instrumental too. This is just such a cool little song that makes me want to check out a lot more from the band in hopes of getting more just like this.

4.5 + 1

Rollin - Tomorrows Bad Seeds
Sent by Puppies_On_Acid

This is upbeat enough that I want to dance, just I don’t know how to dance. The lyrics are super upbeat and that reggae rock marriage is handled super nicely here. I really like that lead guitar phrase too. This is probably enough of these guys for me, but I’m really glad this came up.

4.5 + 1

Dope Nose - Weezer
Sent by kingshmegland

I know Weezer more for their covers than their own songs. This makes me want to rectify that. The riff really isn’t all that much to write home about, but it’s blunt power really works for the song. The vocals aren’t his best, but they  suit the song. The solo is cool. The whole song reminds me of the 2000s sound that I grew up with so this just leaves me smiling.

4.5 + 1

Concerning the UFO sighting near Highland, Illinois - Sufjan Stevens
Sent by Sacul

There’s a somber beauty to the sound of this that sucks me right in. I love the story this song tells and it all just really hits me in the right way, which is cool because I didn’t think this is something I’d listen to outside of the context of this roulette. This is a really different sound that I didn’t hear a lot of and I’m intrigued to hear more. Nice pick, Sacul.

4.5 + 1

A Night on the Town - The Dear Hunter
Sent by Revenge319

So it’s a second short of counting for the long songs round and perhaps a little shy of being “a song with a story”, so Revenge, I’m sorry that I failed you for not leaving a round for this to be awarded the bonus point it so truly deserves. This song is all sorts of awesome in a neat little 8:59 package. The longer instrumental section towards the end made me lose my inhibition to not make an ass of myself and absolutely start dancing. This song is just every shade of absolutely awesome, by far my favourite of the batch, but it sits kinda mid tier here because it can’t earn the bonus points. So once again, I’m sorry that I’ve failed you. I can’t wait to hear the rest of this album, since that weird ending is clearly setting up a continuance to the story.

Sugar Mice - Marillion
Sent by lonestar

This song is amazing and I’m sorry I didn’t really give you a round where this could be given a bonus point that it sorely deserves. The vocals are perfectly tender against a beautiful backing track with the bass giving some nice flavour. And then you get that solo and my heart just soars! Being this is the Dream Theater Forums, I did know the lyrics about “Daddy took a rain check” from the Chaos in Motion version of Surrounded, but the rest of the song builds to it so well. This is brilliant!

Firewater - Dan and Leland   
Sent by ReaperKK

I kinda wish this had vocals, but I think it could have ruined it too. This is a really interesting little instrumental that I thoroughly enjoyed. Favourite riff is the last one that turns into the stop/start fake ending. I really don’t know how to rank this one, Reaper, so thanks for giving me the hard job!

4 + 1

Midsummer’s Daydream - Triumph
Sent by jingle.boy

This is a really beautiful guitar solo that reminds me a lot of the time from 316 by Van Halen. There’s not a lot to say other than masterfully played and a great addition to the shorties round.

4 + 1

Maxwell Murder - Rancid
Sent by twosuitsluke

This is cool. Nice and fast and trashy. Pretty much exactly what I think of for it’s genre. But that bass solo is the definite highlight of the song, it came as a surprise the first time and in re-listening for the writeups, it remained a mega highlight.

4 + 1

Blind Eye Halo - Soilwork
Sent by wolfking

I do love a good snare roll intro into a nice heavy riff. This is a pretty good track, even if I’m not really into this type of vocal. What I do really like though is the kinda call and response type of effect in what I guess is the chorus. The solo is really good and I kinda love that effect of using the higher register of the riff to come back in after that solo. I think this was exactly long enough as a song too. I got the idea they were putting across, got some cool instrumental moments and then left out feeling fulfilled.

3.75 + 1

The Flame - McStine and Minnemann
Sent by romdrums

Everything about this is pretty cool, at least instrumentally. But the vocals drowned in the effect are something I don’t really get into, and the start of the main instrumental section doesn’t quite sit well for me either. However, all up, there’s a lot here that I can really sink my teeth into and have a decent time with.

3.75 + 1

Bubbles - System of a Down
Sent by Buddyhunter1

While there are definitely songs from System of a Down that I really enjoy and not just the hits, this one didn’t quite hit the same mark for me. However, the “May I remind you?” section is really out there and is my definite highlight of the song. Thing is, the song isn’t held back by anything either, it just isn’t a super strong one from a band that has a lot of cool stuff.

3.5 + 1

Spirit of the Water - Camel
Sent by Tomislav95

This actually really reminds me of Forever Autumn from War of the Worlds. Nothing wrong with that either, coz I love that song. I love that flute sound. Don’t really care for the effect in the vocals though. This feels really lost and sad, but also a bit like an interlude track. Intriguing. Might be worth investigating further.

3.5 + 1

See You Tonite - Gene Simmons
Sent by Stadler

Why does the Gene Simmons give me more of a Beatles vibe than the actual Beatles song in this round? This is a pretty good song all up, even if the lyrics are a bit beginner level. It just moves at a good pace and has a cool vibe. Love that little instrumental with the distorted guitars and string section coming together.

3 + 1

Chainsaw Slide - Buckethead
Sent by Vmadera00

This one is a mixed bag. I don’t feel that it lives up to the hype of the player nor the title of the song. What we have here is something that feels like it was produced for a magazine like Guitar World for the readers to learn a brand new song from Buckethead. The main riff reminds me a little of the vocal to Shout by Tears For Fears and the higher melodic section is pretty good, but the whole time I’m left waiting for a kickoff that doesn’t come. The drums sound like a pretty basic backing track too, which could’ve helped to improve the song if there was a great bit of percussion behind it.

3 + 1

Drive My Car - The Beatles
Sent by Elite

You have to respect the musical legacy of The Beatles for all it was, but this song is just one I don’t overly care for. It’s well structured, the solo is cool, but it kinda passes by without leaving any real impact on me apart from thinking “wtf was that ‘beep beep mm beep beep yeah’ thing about?” Far from the strongest effort from a band with such a great catalogue.

3 + 1

The score so far:
HOF - 11
Revenge319 - 10
Sacul - 10
TAC - 9.75
kingshmegland - 9.5
senecadawg2 - 9.25
Tomislav95 - 9.25
Puppies_On_Acid - 9
lonestar - 9
ReaperKK - 9
twosuitsluke - 8.75
wolfking - 8.75
romdrums - 8.75
Vmadera00 - 8.75
jingle.boy - 8.5
 Elite - 8.5
 Buddyhunter1- 8
 Stadler - 7.5
« Last Edit: July 09, 2022, 07:41:44 AM by Deadeye21 »

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
Re: Deadeye21’s Song Roulette - The Dead Man’s Hand - Round Two Results
« Reply #568 on: July 09, 2022, 07:41:20 AM »
Actually the song could've fit in the 'tells a story' round since it does tell the story of an alcoholic at a bar lamenting and accepting how his drinking has cost him his family, but I got something special for that round.

Ironically, the Chaos in Motion tour was one of the few I missed of DT's, because I was so lost in my own alcoholism, so I ended up missing my favorite band cover my favorite song because of the subject matter of said song.

Still trying to settle on something for the next open round, I'll send by days end.

Offline Deadeye21

« Reply #569 on: July 09, 2022, 07:44:08 AM »
Actually the song could've fit in the 'tells a story' round since it does tell the story of an alcoholic at a bar lamenting and accepting how his drinking has cost him his family, but I got something special for that round.

Damn. I clearly didn’t read it right and I blame myself due to illness.

Looking forward to open round again!

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #570 on: July 09, 2022, 07:47:01 AM »

It's subtle, and Fish (lead singer and lyricist) is very elegant in his imagery, but the closing line of 'and if you want my address it's number one at the end of the bar' is about as brutal as they come. The official video does a good job of telling it as meant.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #571 on: July 09, 2022, 07:52:13 AM »
I struggled to find something to send that fit the theme of the round, so I picked something random.

Alright, on to next round
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline Deadeye21

« Reply #572 on: July 09, 2022, 07:57:39 AM »
I struggled to find something to send that fit the theme of the round, so I picked something random.

Not a bad choice, just could’ve been better, I look forward to what you bring out in the open round.

Offline Revenge319

• I once thought it better to regret...
« Reply #573 on: July 09, 2022, 08:22:32 AM »
Well, looks like Luke was sort of right about A Night on the Town being the round winner! I don't mind that I missed out on a bonus point, I'm just surprised (and glad) I got another 5/5! At this point, I'm unsure what I should send next... I don't expect that I'll get lucky a third time and get another perfect score, but I'd certainly like to try to maintain a high position on the rankings, so I'll still be holding off on my risky choices for the time being.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #574 on: July 09, 2022, 08:22:39 AM »
Buckethead is my favorite guitar player, but I was not about to send a 20 mins instrumental  :lol

Offline Deadeye21

« Reply #575 on: July 09, 2022, 08:30:36 AM »
Buckethead is my favorite guitar player, but I was not about to send a 20 mins instrumental  :lol

That would’ve been out of the question for this one for sure.
Well, looks like Luke was sort of right about A Night on the Town being the round winner! I don't mind that I missed out on a bonus point, I'm just surprised (and glad) I got another 5/5! At this point, I'm unsure what I should send next... I don't expect that I'll get lucky a third time and get another perfect score, but I'd certainly like to try to maintain a high position on the rankings, so I'll still be holding off on my risky choices for the time being.

You’ve been doing very well. Let’s see how you go!

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #576 on: July 09, 2022, 08:31:16 AM »
I’m out of the cellar at least. Will send later today.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online HOF

« Reply #577 on: July 09, 2022, 08:51:19 AM »
Two in a row!

King’s X do have really excellent vocal harmonies, so if you like that there’s a good chance you’ll like their music. I’d be interested to hear your thoughts if you check out that album (Please Come Home… Mr. Bulbous). It’s not really a fan favorite, but I think it’s one of their best albums. Very experimental and a bit psychedelic. I think you would probably also really like their earlier albums (at least through the self-titled album, but all of the Atlantic albums are really good).

Let’s see if I can keep the streak going. Will try to send a bit later today.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #578 on: July 09, 2022, 08:58:42 AM »
HOF, that is a fantastic King's X album!

Glad you liked my song. Weezer is so damn fun. Their hooks are so damn catchy. I'm a prog guy but I'm a suckered for a great pop/rock song with melody.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #579 on: July 09, 2022, 09:10:21 AM »
Right where I belong!   :)

I won't be able to send until Monday, sorry about that.

Online HOF

« Reply #580 on: July 09, 2022, 09:11:50 AM »
HOF, that is a fantastic King's X album!

:tup

It's subtle, and Fish (lead singer and lyricist) is very elegant in his imagery, but the closing line of 'and if you want my address it's number one at the end of the bar' is about as brutal as they come. The official video does a good job of telling it as meant.

Was also gonna say, I would have ranked Sugar Mice ahead of my song too, so I’m glad I got the bonus point!

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #581 on: July 09, 2022, 09:21:42 AM »
And sent!!

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #582 on: July 09, 2022, 09:25:14 AM »
I was thinking the same thing. In one fell swoop I landed mid pack.  :metal

Now watch me drop to the bottom again next round  :rollin
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Deadeye21

« Reply #583 on: July 09, 2022, 09:28:37 AM »
I was thinking the same thing. In one fell swoop I landed mid pack.  :metal

Now watch me drop to the bottom again next round  :rollin

Already got you written down for round 3 mate. Let’s see how this one goes.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #584 on: July 09, 2022, 09:38:44 AM »
I would never slag a song before the scores but Sugar Mice is the single worst thing Dream Theater has ever done to one of their songs. Surrounded ‘07 had such a nice intro but to end it with Daddy took a rain check??
I’m sure it’s a Me thing but I don’t get it.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Deadeye21

« Reply #585 on: July 09, 2022, 09:53:53 AM »
I would never slag a song before the scores but Sugar Mice is the single worst thing Dream Theater has ever done to one of their songs. Surrounded ‘07 had such a nice intro but to end it with Daddy took a rain check??

I don’t really get it’s inclusion there either. My point of bringing it up is that I knew about that particular section of Sugar Mice because of it. Believe me, I could definitely live with it not being there.

Online HOF

« Reply #586 on: July 09, 2022, 11:10:17 AM »

I don’t really get it’s inclusion there either. My point of bringing it up is that I knew about that particular section of Sugar Mice because of it. Believe me, I could definitely live with it not being there.

I could be misremembering, but wasn’t it included there because Sugar Mice was sort of an influence on the song?

Also, it’s worth checking out some of the live versions of Sugar Mice with Steve Hogarth on vocals (he replaced Fish after that album). It’s hard to find one that has all the parts of the original (sometimes they drop the “daddy took a rain check” section, sometimes they drop the solo, etc. This is one of my favorites but it does not include the solo. I actually prefer the way Hogarth sings it (though it stinks to lose the solo).

https://marillionofficial.bandcamp.com/track/sugar-mice
« Last Edit: July 09, 2022, 11:19:07 AM by HOF »

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #587 on: July 09, 2022, 11:41:21 AM »
I'm honestly so surprised Maxwell Murder scored as well as it did. It's the sort of song I'd never normally send, and even though I love it, I'd understand why others hate it! The bass solo does elevate it though and I stand by that.

I have no problem losing out to A Night on the Town. I agree that is a superior song and I urge you to go listen to Act IV: Rebirth in Reprise right now. It is without doubt the single greatest album I have discovered via DTF, as well as being the greatest album I've discovered in the last decade.

Just cancel the roulette and listen to The Dear Hunter basically.

Also, sad to see The Beatles score so low but then again, not a song I would've sent. I nearly sent Blackbird; are you familiar with the song and how would it have scored, out of interest?

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #588 on: July 09, 2022, 11:51:05 AM »
Sufjan just makes quite wonderful music, that album is a bit long but full of beautiful tunes. He later moved on to incorporate more electronic elements and kept making excellent records.

I'll send soon. Sent one of my favorite songs ever, again ;D

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
Re: Deadeye21’s Song Roulette - The Dead Man’s Hand - Round One Reviews
« Reply #589 on: July 09, 2022, 12:04:30 PM »
Possibly taken my biggest roulette risk to date. Ain't a chance in hell this is gonna score well, but it is an incredible song.

I nearly played it safe (and I'll reveal what I was going to send at the right time) but what's life without shit roulette scores to look back on.
It's ok, I'm expecting to score a 2 on my pick  :corn

Betcha I get lower!  :)
$5  ;)

You're on!

Well, guess it cancels out since we got the same score  :lol

Online twosuitsluke

Re: Deadeye21’s Song Roulette - The Dead Man’s Hand - Round One Reviews
« Reply #590 on: July 09, 2022, 12:32:39 PM »
Possibly taken my biggest roulette risk to date. Ain't a chance in hell this is gonna score well, but it is an incredible song.

I nearly played it safe (and I'll reveal what I was going to send at the right time) but what's life without shit roulette scores to look back on.
It's ok, I'm expecting to score a 2 on my pick  :corn

Betcha I get lower!  :)
$5  ;)

You're on!

Well, guess it cancels out since we got the same score  :lol

Who'd have thought 😅

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #591 on: July 09, 2022, 12:34:43 PM »
@Puppies, just checked out your entry (as it sounded pretty appealing to me) and this is right up my street. They remind me of The Mad Caddies, who I LOVE! I'll certainly check out more  :tup

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #592 on: July 09, 2022, 12:55:07 PM »
@Puppies, just checked out your entry (as it sounded pretty appealing to me) and this is right up my street. They remind me of The Mad Caddies, who I LOVE! I'll certainly check out more  :tup
Check out their albums Early Prayers and Sacred for Sale. The rest of their albums are a noticeable step down in quality, imo.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Online HOF

« Reply #593 on: July 09, 2022, 01:31:59 PM »
Sent!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #594 on: July 09, 2022, 01:48:08 PM »

I could be misremembering, but wasn’t it included there because Sugar Mice was sort of an influence on the song?

Also, it’s worth checking out some of the live versions of Sugar Mice with Steve Hogarth on vocals (he replaced Fish after that album). It’s hard to find one that has all the parts of the original (sometimes they drop the “daddy took a rain check” section, sometimes they drop the solo, etc. This is one of my favorites but it does not include the solo. I actually prefer the way Hogarth sings it (though it stinks to lose the solo).

https://marillionofficial.bandcamp.com/track/sugar-mice

So I actually own Script, Misplaced Childhood, and Clutching At Straws.

My favorite is Script, which I think is really cool, but then they get progressively worse. I've only listened to Clutching once. It really did nothing for me.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol