Author Topic: Deadeye21’s Song Roulette - Round 9 Results  (Read 65985 times)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: Deadeye21’s Song Roulette - The Dead Man’s Hand
« Reply #350 on: June 26, 2022, 08:50:39 PM »
Btw, anyone know how to change the thread title? I wanna be able to do what Reaper did and actually have each stage in the title.

Next time you post, you should be able to edit the thread title.
This ^

But also edit the OP thread title and it will stick for all posts made after the edit, until you edit it again.

Yes.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Deadeye21

• 30 years say we’re in this together
« Reply #351 on: June 26, 2022, 08:51:42 PM »
Many thanks guys!
Let's go with a P for Deadeye has premature alphabetejaculation.

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #352 on: June 27, 2022, 05:19:06 AM »
Btw, anyone know how to change the thread title? I wanna be able to do what Reaper did and actually have each stage in the title.

Next time you post, you should be able to edit the thread title.
This ^

But also edit the OP thread title and it will stick for all posts made after the edit, until you edit it again.

Yup this is it. Can't wait to read the results!

Offline Deadeye21

Coheed and Cambria - Welcome Home: That intro riff has me hooked in for whatever’s coming next.

Anamanaguchi - Sunset by Plane: Unexpected kickoff was unexpected.

Toehider - Whatever Makes You Feel Superior: Absolute beast of a singer

Destrage - Destroy Create Transform Sublimate: This is the sound of chaos incarnate

Seventh Wonder - The Light: I feel like I recognise this singer and he’s absolutely slaying it here.

Mystery - Dear Someone: This might be one of the most beautiful songs i’ve ever heard

Alter Bridge - Cry of Achilles: One of my favourite album openers of all time. Maybe I should’ve banned these guys too?

Moon Tooth - Igneous: Now that’s what I call a meaty riff!

Genesis - Dance on a Volcano: This is a mini-epic and I love it!

Pink Floyd - Welcome to the Machine: I can see this being used to great effect in a movie soundtrack.

Blaze Bayley - The Brave: Tight metal song, very fitting for the singer.

Porcupine Tree - Heartattack in a Layby: That sad, empty feeling is real.

Tool - Lateralus: I’m familiar with this one. Gotta love that intro buildup!

Porcupine Tree - Deadwing: Ok, this is a damn cool song!

Led Zeppelin - Ten Years Gone: Just when you think you’ve got a band worked out…

Anathema - Untouchable Part One - Upbeat and dramatically sad as well, brilliant!

Opeth - Windowpane: I do love me a good drum break.

Bruce Dickinson - Tears of the Dragon: Good song, but better production could’ve made it great.

Round one writeups will be out real soon.

Offline Deadeye21

Re: Deadeye21’s Song Roulette - The Dead Man’s Hand - Round One Reviews
« Reply #354 on: June 27, 2022, 06:29:19 AM »
Porcupine Tree - Deadwing
Sent by Revenge319

Not gonna lie, it helped to have two Porcupine Tree songs back to back here. A double dose of Porcupine Tree for someone who’s never heard it before? How perfect. That synth hooks me in already but when the band starts up, this quickly turns into a damn cool song. I love the way the intro introduces it all straight off the bat and then the vocals get to take centre stage. The change in vocal approaches to this one really shine. All the riffs are bangers, the soloing is great, I really like the singer, the drumming is cool and even the bass work gets a chance to shine. I feel like I’m on a fairly epic journey here and I’m strapped in for all of it. Even when we transition away from the familiarity for the last 3 and a half minutes, it’s dramatic and then it comes in super heavy! It’s like English Tool, but better!!

Mystery - Dear Someone
Sent by HOF

I’m a hard rocker and classic metalhead mainly. But there’s just something about this song that keeps me coming back. The first time I heard the riff, the tone reminded me a little of Children of the Sea by Sabbath and his vocal reminded me a bit of Journey meets Scorpions. The more I listen to it though, the more I completely fall in love with the immense beauty of this track. The solos really hit the mark, and even the big buildup gets me going and yet it keeps itself masterfully restrained. There is so much to unpack here and all of it’s great. This is easily one of my favourite discoveries here, well played HOF!

Alter Bridge - Cry of Achilles

Sent by Vmadera00

I didn’t realise anyone would think of playing this in a roulette, so I didn’t think to ban them. And yet, someone did. I’m realising I should’ve taken them off the list as this right here is one of my favourite ever opening tracks from one of my favourite ever albums. But what I find really good is that this hasn’t completely overshadowed everything else sent in this round. This song is fairly damn amazing. Myles’ voice leads the track perfectly and he has a great solo after the bridge, Mark’s riffing is so strong too. Brian gets a great moment where he leads the first bridge, even getting a good fill into the second verse section, and then Flip is relentless in the drum department on this one.  I’m not going to penalise it, but I am comparing this against other songs sent in this roulette, where it actually ended up not being my total favourite.

Seventh Wonder - The Light
Sent by Tomislav95

This vocalist still sounds really familiar, I want to guess it’s Tommy Karevik who I know from Ayreon fame much like Mike from Toehider. This is another one that actually feels like it could go really well in a soundtrack, feels like it could be in a training montage. Then we get to the solos which are awesome, but extreme props to the bassist for absolutely holding his own here. Everything in this track is awesome. Even if I’m not into the piano bridge that much, it provides a great break in the action and lets that last chorus come in real nicely! Just needed a little more to the ending and it could have been a 5 for me. Not a fan of short cutout endings.

Anathema - Untouchable Part One
Sent by Sacul

How does one pull this off? This feels like it should be upbeat and yet it feels so sad as well. I love the instrumentation first and foremost though. This backing track is so cool. Almost a progressive rock meets pop and country type of feeling in my ear. And then we get down to the vocals which are just so fitting to the lyric. Is this what Anathema are usually like, or is this an outlier? Either way, I’m keen to hear some more. Mix is a little muddy from having as many tracks as it does, but it’s still super strong.

Whatever Makes You Feel Superior - Toehider
Sent by Elite

I’m familiar with this song, but it’s been a very long time since I last listened to it. Mike really knows how to write a catchy hook.  The chorus here is super infectious to get into and the verses are really fun. However, I have to say, while the solos are great, I think this song becomes a little bogged down by that ambient section before the last pre-chorus. It’s a little overlong and kinda takes me right out of it. Still, when the rest of the song is this strong, who am I to complain? Sometimes you just want a bit of lighthearted fun and Toehider provides it here.

Bruce Dickinson - Tears of the Dragon 
Sent by TAC

I said I’m not a fan of the production here, but on further listens, I find it less of a problem than it was the first time. That snare tone doesn’t do much for me though, but I’m so used to hearing the tightness of Nicko’s kit behind Bruce’s vocals. This song is actually pretty great, not gonna lie. I love the solo especially, the way the tone changes gradually as it goes is such a cool feature. And then at the end of the day, you get Bruce Dickinson delivering a powerful performance! I do think the bass could’ve been maybe a notch lower in the mix though. Great song, I may need to check out more Bruce solo stuff in future.

The Brave - Blaze Bayley
Sent by wolfking

I’m not as overcritical of the Blaze stuff in Maiden as many are, but I will willingly admit that not everything fit his voice. This though? He shreds it! The galloping rhythms and trade-off solos make me feel like this could’ve been a song on IM12 if Adrian and Bruce didn’t return in 99. Shows me that Steve knew what he was going into choosing Blaze, but their time together just didn’t work out as well as it might have on paper.

Dance on a Volcano - Genesis
Sent by romdrums

My reference point for Genesis is cover songs, so I can’t really say I know much about them. They are a band that I’ve always meant to check out though. Here comes romdrums with the right idea! This thing is a mini-epic that reminds me of the little bit of Transatlantic I’ve heard. I love the tension of the verse being released by the instrumental sections. This song just keeps building through all sorts of different sections. This doesn’t follow any conventional structure, but that lets it take on more of an epic feel! It always feels like it’s still just finding it’s feet and it’s already almost over. I don’t think this song should be longer, but it’s one that has a 6 minute runtime and it feels far shorter.

Moon Tooth - Igneous
Sent by ReaperKK

Next time I want to get slapped in the face by a monstrously meaty riff, I now know exactly which song to turn to. This feels like bands that my Dad introduced me to,  like Mastodon, Red Fang and Bombus. The only thing I don’t really like about this track is how disconnected the vocal feels from the instrumental in parts. It’s really cool to hear that steel string slide guitar solo, it’s not something you really get too often in a song that sounds like this. Everyone plays their parts really well and if that vocal had been given a bit more time to get into the chorus feel, I think this song would take an even stronger place for me. As it is though, this still stands strong.

Porcupine Tree - Heartattack in a Layby
Sent by kingshmegland

I’d never heard a note of Porcupine Tree, at least knowingly, before this Roulette. So I came into this one totally blind. The intro reminded me of Disturbed’s cover of Sound of Silence and I was hooked in. And then it kinda stayed there, giving me the room to focus on the lyrics. And I’m glad it did. By doing that, I really get the emotional crux of the song. The lyrics paint the picture of a broken man and even though it keeps saying “she waits for me”, it feels very isolated and alone. When the backing vocals start creeping in towards the end, it feels like thoughts colliding in his head. I feel for this guy and I kinda just want to give him a hug and let him know it will all be ok, you know? Great song, very strong introduction to the band.

Destrage - Destroy Create Transform Sublimate
Sent by lonestar

I think my first impression really says it all. This song is all sorts of chaos. When it comes to the vocals this is something very different, going from almost a Brian Johnson type of sound to straight filthy growls and then something completely different for the main chorus. That chorus is actually a really cool hook. I love the clean bridge section too. It’s kinda hard for me to award this one points accurately, just because there are so many different things at play, and not all of them work for me. That symphonic section towards the end into an electronic ending is kinda jarring. Still, there are a lot of great sections here  as well.

Welcome Home - Coheed and Cambria
Sent by twosuitsluke

How does one argue against a riff like this intro? Actually, this song instrumentally is an absolute powerhouse, giving me riff after amazing riff. The weak point for me? Vocals. I’m really not a fan of the singer’s voice, or t least not for the most part since it really sits well in the “one more kiss for you” bridge section. Love the solos and the choir underneath the last descending riff. I reckon I’d absolutely love a cover version of this, but the vocals here kinda sucked me out of it a little. Am I biased against the accent, I hope not, but there’s something there I just can’t shake.

Opeth - Windowpane
Sent by senecadawg2
I’m aware of Opeth, but not their music. My reaction to seeing them sent was “wait, aren’t they those Blackwater Park guys?” I have no idea how it stacks against that because I have never heard the song. I’m assuming this is more of a ballad from them, but it’s actually still kinda heavy, which is really cool. His vocals stand out, which I really like (unless you couldn’t tell, I really like singers and how they sound against the songs). That little delay riff from the 2:23 mark has been stuck in my head since I first heard the song. The bass plays a vital role here, which I love this song for. That drum break is what I mentioned in my first impression because, while it’s not super technical, it is well placed and brings in the following section really really well. The soloing here is pretty great too. I just wish there’d been a little more to the back half of this song since the riff does stay around for a while and feels like there should have been some vocals over it. What this song is is pretty great, but I wish there’d been a little more to it.

Anamanaguchi - Sunset by Plane
Sent by Buddyhunter1

So, I’m not really a fan of electronic music and with the intro being what it is, I thought I wasn’t going to enjoy this song at all. Then it hit me like a ton of bricks when that kickoff happened. This isn’t “electronic music”, this is a great tune with electronic elements. I love the way the chorus builds upon the original theme from the intro, and the instrumental sections are pretty cool too. Not a huge fan of the vocals, but they get the job done. Kinda reminds me of the soundtrack to the show Meta Runner, actually.

Ten Years Gone - Led Zeppelin
Sent by Stadler
I’m not a massive fan of Zep, I’m not gonna lie to you. But I know the major classics and I won’t shy away from Whole Lotta Love or Immigrant Song if they come up. But I never expected this to come out of this band. Page’s riffing here is really cool, I especially love that chorus riff. Then Plant’s singing is restrained from what I’m used to with his high howling. If you want me to talk about the drumming, it’s Bonham and that man never did anything badly behind the kit as far as I’m concerned. That bridge adds a really cool air of tension to the track, and the instrumental section afterwards is a really nice touch. The little heavy transition that sometimes interjects the clean riffing is a really cool little hook. This is not what I expected from Led Zeppelin at all and I love finding out I haven’t “heard one, heard all” with these guys!

Pink Floyd - Welcome to the Machine
Sent by jingle.boy

I’m a musician, so naturally I’ve heard of Pink Floyd. I used to cover Another Brick in the Wall (Parts 2 and 3) with my old band, I still play Wish You Were Here in my solo sets, but I can’t say I’ve ever really ventured too deep into the Pink Floyd back catalogue. This is one of the songs that comes up a lot as being a quintessential track. Unfortunately, having heard it, I don’t really get why. That’s not to say it’s a bad song, but this really doesn’t capture any of what I like Pink Floyd for. This actually feels like it would be more at home on an Ayreon album (which is fine, coz I do enjoy a fair bit of Ayreon). I can see this being used in a movie soundtrack to great effect. Kinda feels like a dark revelation being made. I love that ascending guitar line in the instrumental section and the synthesiser solos are great, but this song kinda feels like it’s building to a moment where the full band comes in that never arrives and it kinda holds it back to me. It’s still a good song, this just isn’t what I really wanted to hear from Pink Floyd.

Lateralus - Tool
Sent by Puppies_On_Acid

I’ve seen Tool live, but they didn’t play this song. And the main stuff I’m familiar with is what they played that night in February 2020 just before the world shat itself. Anyway, point is, I didn’t know this one going in all too well. However, I was aware of his use of the Fibonacci sequence in the verses, which just makes for a really cool vocal pattern. The intro build is just so cool and it’s a shame that the opening riff isn’t used too much in this song (even though I may have accidentally ripped it off for one of my old bands, I’ll post a link to that if anyone cares). Chancellor’s bass and Carey’s drums are huge leaders of this song, as they always are. Adam Jones provides a few cool licks throughout this one, but I don’t really see this as the best Tool song as I’ve seen claimed often. This isn’t quite as good as Pneuma or 46 and 2. Keenan’s use of the Fibonacci sequence is the only thing that really sticks out as a main feature that differentiates it from other, better Tool songs. Spiral out, keep going!

All up, this was a great first round! Thanks to everyone for their submissions.

The score so far:
Revenge319 - 5
HOF - 5
Vmadera00 - 4.75
Tomislav95 - 4.75
Sacul - 4.5
Elite - 4.5
TAC - 4
wolfking - 4
romdrums - 4
ReaperKK - 4
kingshmegland - 4
lonestar - 4
twosuitsluke - 3.75
senecadawg2 - 3.75
Buddyhunter1 - 3.5
Stadler - 3.5
jingle.boy - 3.5
Puppies_On_Acid - 3.5

Onwards to the short round!

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #355 on: June 27, 2022, 06:43:35 AM »
Not a bad start! and don't worry, I was just testing the waters with my pick, next rounds I'll go a bit more obscured (Hopefully music you never heard before).

I'll send for round 2 shortly  :metal
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #356 on: June 27, 2022, 06:52:33 AM »
I'm really not sure what to make of these results.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline Deadeye21

« Reply #357 on: June 27, 2022, 06:57:51 AM »
I'm really not sure what to make of these results.

I have complex tastes. I don’t really know what to tell you, I just know what I like.

Online Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #358 on: June 27, 2022, 07:20:39 AM »
Not bad. Seems like a "maybe" on whether you'll get more electronic stuff from me this roulette or not. :lol

I feel for this guy and I kinda just want to give him a hug and let him know it will all be ok, you know? Great song, very strong introduction to the band.

Spoiler alert: it won't be okay for him at all. The title of the song isn't a metaphor. :sadpanda:
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline Deadeye21

« Reply #359 on: June 27, 2022, 07:23:03 AM »
Not bad. Seems like a "maybe" on whether you'll get more electronic stuff from me this roulette or not. :lol

I feel for this guy and I kinda just want to give him a hug and let him know it will all be ok, you know? Great song, very strong introduction to the band.

Spoiler alert: it won't be okay for him at all. The title of the song isn't a metaphor. :sadpanda:
I’m ok with it if it goes in the sort of direction this did.

Yeah, didn’t seem like he survived this story. I feel bad for him.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #360 on: June 27, 2022, 07:24:30 AM »
There must be some mistake; mine didn't have a "5" next to it!   :) :) :)

Offline Deadeye21

« Reply #361 on: June 27, 2022, 07:26:26 AM »

Early days, mate, early days!

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #362 on: June 27, 2022, 07:27:39 AM »
OK.  In the middle.  Got to work to get higher scores.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Deadeye21

« Reply #363 on: June 27, 2022, 07:29:31 AM »
What the scores should suggest, if absolutely nothing else, is that not one of these songs classes as bad. Many of them class as downright excellent in my book. This is merely round one. Let’s see how it goes from here.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #364 on: June 27, 2022, 07:33:49 AM »
Interesting... Definitely got some direction from those write ups.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #365 on: June 27, 2022, 07:35:07 AM »

Early days, mate, early days!
Oh, no. I'm right where I typically am in these things.  I'm having my fun, don't worry.

Round two, sent!   (This was a hard one; the range of songs you ALMOST got is massive.  The Beach Boys, The Kinks, Kiss, Sabbath, Johnny Cash...)

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #366 on: June 27, 2022, 07:37:05 AM »
Round 2 sent.  This will be a round people will instantly be able to guess my track.  After this, I'm going deep and obscure.

*awaits classless joke - I know at least Chef is thinking it*
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline HOF

« Reply #367 on: June 27, 2022, 07:39:18 AM »
Heck yeah. Dear Someone is just a great little song. I only got into that album a little bit earlier this year myself, so I don’t have a lot to say about Mystery, other than the singer was briefly in Yes a few years back. That album is really good though.

Offline Deadeye21

« Reply #368 on: June 27, 2022, 07:43:38 AM »
I’m gonna be a bit more strict on songs I have an awareness of coming up, so please don’t be offended if I ask you to roll again.

Offline HOF

« Reply #369 on: June 27, 2022, 07:44:41 AM »
Sent for round two!

Online Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #372 on: June 27, 2022, 07:58:27 AM »
Round 2 sent.  This will be a round people will instantly be able to guess my track.  After this, I'm going deep and obscure.

Ah!  LOL
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #373 on: June 27, 2022, 08:01:51 AM »

Ah!  LOL

She's not even here to defend herself

:obscure:

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #374 on: June 27, 2022, 08:11:33 AM »
I’m gonna be a bit more strict on songs I have an awareness of coming up, so please don’t be offended if I ask you to roll again.

HAHAHA, re-sent!!!  :)

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #375 on: June 27, 2022, 08:12:26 AM »

Ah!  LOL

She's not even here to defend herself

:obscure:

:obscuredbyclouds:
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #376 on: June 27, 2022, 08:42:50 AM »

HAHAHA, re-re-sent!  :)

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #377 on: June 27, 2022, 08:45:27 AM »

HAHAHA, re-re-sent!  :)
:lol

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #378 on: June 27, 2022, 09:22:48 AM »
Impressive that the worst song on In Absentia got rated a four *puts on flame suit*.

Glad you liked the track, will send round 2 tonight!

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #379 on: June 27, 2022, 09:56:09 AM »
Alright! Starting off this roulette the way I ended Reapers roulette.....in last place  :biggrin: :corn
aka Puppies_On_Acid
My last.fm | My Rate Your Music Page
Quote from: Podaar
King's Photoshop powers are akin to a three year old cutting faces out of photographs with the edge of a dull spoon and pasting them in place with garden shovel full of Gorilla Glue.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Online Revenge319

• I once thought it better to regret...
« Reply #380 on: June 27, 2022, 10:06:13 AM »
Wow, even with a song as great as Deadwing, I wasn't expecting to tie for the highest score this round! :o
Well, here's hoping I can get even nearly as high a score on any of my other future submissions.

I will send for Round 2 very soon...

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #381 on: June 27, 2022, 10:17:25 AM »
Impressive that the worst song on In Absentia got rated a four *puts on flame suit*.

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #382 on: June 27, 2022, 10:25:53 AM »

I'm naked and ready King

Online Revenge319

• I once thought it better to regret...
« Reply #383 on: June 27, 2022, 10:26:06 AM »
Sent!

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #384 on: June 27, 2022, 10:36:12 AM »

I'm naked and ready King

:lol

Be careful what you ask for.