Author Topic: A-Z (featuring Ray Alder and Mark Zonder)  (Read 6262 times)

Online nick_z

Re: A-Z (featuring Ray Alder and Mark Zonder)
« Reply #35 on: August 12, 2022, 02:06:37 PM »
Album is out today.
Any thoughts?

It's quite easy on the ears. I think this will be a grower though.

A-Z is a dumb name though.

There was mention of it on the Friday releases thread...

Listened to it once, and I agree with you. Great performances, everything sounds really good and "fresh". Alder is in fine, fine form, and it's always a pleasure to hear Zonder's drumming. Super-tasty instrumentation all around. And yes, it's not like it's a complex album or anything, but I can feel some of the songs and melodies growing with further listens. Looking forward to revisiting.

Offline Deathless

« Reply #36 on: August 12, 2022, 02:12:14 PM »
Album is out today.
Any thoughts?

It's quite easy on the ears. I think this will be a grower though.

A-Z is a dumb name though.

4 songs in (Including the singles) and so far, so good. Production is good. Performances across the board are really solid.

I'm not sure what their intent is (Zonder was quoted as saying they are already starting on album two but want to tour on this one). This band could work with a number of different tour packages. I know he said he doesn't want to be too proggy but they would fit with quite a variety of prog rock/hard rock bands. I would love to see this group live personally.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2022, 02:20:18 PM by Deathless »

Online nick_z

« Reply #37 on: August 12, 2022, 03:34:05 PM »
Incidentally, I think the album finishes very strong (including the bonus track The Silence Broken)

Borrowed Time and Sometimes, in particular, are very cool (sounds like the latter has a couple of FW lyrical references, I don't know if intentional or not...)

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #38 on: August 12, 2022, 04:22:07 PM »
I feel this could have been a modern day Toto album (especially the newer ones), which is not bad. I'm enjoying this album a lot!

Online nick_z

« Reply #39 on: August 12, 2022, 07:29:59 PM »
I feel this could have been a modern day Toto album (especially the newer ones), which is not bad. I'm enjoying this album a lot!

Can't say I disagree, although I feel the background of the players involved is such that the vibe is overall a bit more modern (despite being no doubt inspired by the end of the 70s/80s). The only song I feel veers close to "schmaltzy" territory is Rise Again, especially the chorus. But you are right that the newer Toto albums did sound a little more modern themselves, so there's some convergence there  :)

Offline Trav86

« Reply #40 on: August 12, 2022, 07:50:43 PM »
One of the best albums of the year so far for me.
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #41 on: August 12, 2022, 08:07:42 PM »
After two listens, I feel like this is an album that just doesn't quite get there.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #42 on: August 12, 2022, 08:20:11 PM »
After two listens, I feel like this is an album that just doesn't quite get there.

I've heard 3 times myself, and I'm a bit with that feeling too. Sure, there's a lot to like, but, based on the 2 singles, I guess I was expecting a more energetic style in the album as a whole.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline WardySI

« Reply #43 on: August 13, 2022, 07:58:17 AM »
Absolutely love it, finding more to like with each spin \m/

They just released another video for Stranded and gotta say it's not often I find a video enhancing a song these days but this is good stuff;

https://youtu.be/q1QGAAc3qmA

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #44 on: August 13, 2022, 08:04:03 AM »
Listened at work and this a real nice album.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #45 on: August 13, 2022, 10:41:10 AM »
Oh shit, this came out yesterday, didn't it? Have to give it a spin later, really enjoyed the singles.

Online SoundscapeMN

« Reply #46 on: August 13, 2022, 12:35:08 PM »
didn't get around to it yesterday, but I have it cue-ed up to listen to in my car soon.

Offline WardySI

« Reply #47 on: August 13, 2022, 06:30:43 PM »
didn't get around to it yesterday, but I have it cue-ed up to listen to in my car soon.

It's weird how these things work but this is one of those albums made for playing it loud in the car mate ENJOY \m/

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #48 on: August 14, 2022, 05:42:02 AM »
One listen in - loved it.  Great melodies, Ray sounds great, and (despite the dumb name) Zonder getting name-billing as the drummer is clear in the music as well - it very much sounds like the drums are leading the music.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #49 on: August 14, 2022, 08:31:38 AM »
Indeed, Zonder's drumming is amazing and a little more than his usual. Also I'm glad that he brought back more of his electronic stuff in the drums arrangements.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline Zoom E

« Reply #50 on: August 14, 2022, 10:03:58 AM »
Gave this a listen yesterday. It’s a definite buy for me. Enjoyable catchy tunes and heavier than I anticipated.

Offline WardySI

« Reply #51 on: August 16, 2022, 08:57:58 AM »
Am stuck on Rise Again that chorus after the 2min mark is just something else \m/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2b7PSnIMss

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #52 on: August 16, 2022, 11:13:50 AM »
The only song that seems out of place (but  I do love it) is Borrowed Time. Sounds like a Ray Alder/Engine song. Love it though.

Offline Deathless

« Reply #53 on: August 16, 2022, 11:22:26 AM »
Listened through it twice while working on the yard this weekend. Top-to-bottom I didn't feel like anything was bad or out of place and really enjoyed it. Overall it's a really good album and definitely in my top 5 of the year so far... hoping for more soon!

Online Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #54 on: August 16, 2022, 03:22:06 PM »
Indeed, Zonder's drumming is amazing and a little more than his usual. Also I'm glad that he brought back more of his electronic stuff in the drums arrangements.

Agree with the whole thing, but especially with the bolded. It was a hell of a performance.

Really love the album. I'm still waiting for my CD to be delivered (Amazon cancelled my order, so I ordered through Metal Blade), but I've had the MP3 version for quite a bit now and I love it.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #55 on: August 16, 2022, 04:46:05 PM »
This album is a tease though. If this had Ray's 90's vocals, it would be incredible.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #56 on: August 16, 2022, 05:43:04 PM »
This album is a tease though. If this had Ray's 90's vocals, it would be incredible.

Is this even worth me checking out?  My keeping up to date with new stuff is abysmal anyway.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online nick_z

« Reply #57 on: August 16, 2022, 06:53:33 PM »

Is this even worth me checking out?  My keeping up to date with new stuff is abysmal anyway.

Yes, I think you should. It's a pleasure to listen to.

@ Tim: Did you not like him on the record? I find Ray's performance on this very, very good. I get that it's not quite 90s Alder, but still...imo he's really found a sweet spot with his voice now.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #58 on: August 16, 2022, 06:57:16 PM »

It kind of sits between Perfect Symmetry and Parallels. It's actually pretty decent, but Ray's vocals, not that they're bad, but he's quite limited, and to me, that's the tease. It's definitely worth a spin though.

@ Tim: Did you not like him on the record? I find Ray's performance on this very, very good. I get that it's not quite 90s Alder, but still...imo he's really found a sweet spot with his voice now.

It is good, but it really just leaves me wanting more.

I'm not slagging him by any means. I definitely don't want anyone to think that. I've already listened to this at least a half dozen times, so I definitely like it. But the vocals are good enough that they leave me with blue balls.

Offline WardySI

« Reply #59 on: August 16, 2022, 07:11:33 PM »

Really love the album. I'm still waiting for my CD to be delivered (Amazon cancelled my order, so I ordered through Metal Blade), but I've had the MP3 version for quite a bit now and I love it.

Yeah had it ready to go from an Australian seller who pulled their list at the last minute so it seems we're having problems getting it Down Under and will have to look to import it unfortunately.  Also bought the digital until then...

(Sidenote as an example ended up gifting my Building An Empire book and was going throw down for another copy but in hardback but it was just on $100 with the import costs sorry so went for another PB instead but yeah, international post is killer here atm)

I'll 3rd what others have responded already mate absolutely worth getting this one.  Ray is sounding so good these days I kinda equate where he is now to where Tate was about the late 90's into the 00's in that sure his range wasn't quite what it once was but still using his voice to the fullest and his delivery tone and emotion still so incredible.  (Not sure how else to explain that in vocal-speak but suffice to say Ray is still sounds killer!)

And the material is kinda light-prog IMO, but with space and easy to digest yet still hearing new things with each listen \m/

The only song that seems out of place (but  I do love it) is Borrowed Time. Sounds like a Ray Alder/Engine song. Love it though.

Agree 100% with this thought the same but it works so well :)

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #60 on: August 16, 2022, 07:16:17 PM »
I love the album.  Ray sounds great, Mark is smoking on the drums, and the songs are really, really good.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #61 on: August 16, 2022, 07:45:51 PM »
I love the album.  Ray sounds great, Mark is smoking on the drums, and the songs are really, really good.

Everything about the players in this album is great. I'm loving Joop's guitar tones on this one. Mark's drumming is phenomenal. Ray's voice has been top notch for me ever since FW's X. That bass tone, just hits me on the sweet spot. And Viv, been a fan of his for a long long time so I'm glad he is on this album. This might be my AOTY so far (Marillion, Ty Tabor;s solo, Astronoid, Charlie Griffth's solo album and Maggie Roger have been on constant rotation) but A-Z may be on top so far.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #62 on: August 16, 2022, 07:50:40 PM »

It kind of sits between Perfect Symmetry and Parallels. It's actually pretty decent, but Ray's vocals, not that they're bad, but he's quite limited, and to me, that's the tease. It's definitely worth a spin though.

It is good, but it really just leaves me wanting more.

I'm not slagging him by any means. I definitely don't want anyone to think that. I've already listened to this at least a half dozen times, so I definitely like it. But the vocals are good enough that they leave me with blue balls.

Wow, alright I'll try and check it.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #63 on: August 25, 2022, 01:00:41 PM »
I saw Zonder post in Facebook comments that he's working on an A-Z tour.  I was thinking, how about a joint tour with A-Z and Kings of Mercia (the new Matheos band), both of which are Metal Blade bands.  Could be cool.  Then, as an encore, they could do some Zonder-era Fates Warning songs.  Joey Vera is the bassist for Kings of Mercia, so it would be perfect.
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Online Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #64 on: August 25, 2022, 01:14:16 PM »
I saw Zonder post in Facebook comments that he's working on an A-Z tour.  I was thinking, how about a joint tour with A-Z and Kings of Mercia (the new Matheos band), both of which are Metal Blade bands.  Could be cool.  Then, as an encore, they could do some Zonder-era Fates Warning songs.  Joey Vera is the bassist for Kings of Mercia, so it would be perfect.

It would be cool. But I just don't think it's feasible. Fates Warning, with all that history, was likely having trouble making ends meet on tours. They went from headlining small bars clubs, to then opening slightly larger clubs for Queensryche, and playing headline bar gigs on off days. The older you get, the more you need those off days. I can't see A-Z and Kings of Mercia really drawing out a good deal from promoters. If they wouldn't ante up for Fates, why would they for two projects stemming from Fates?

I think it's more likely that A-Z opens for someone and does some sporadic headline appearances. I really don't see Kings of Mercia touring at all. Could be wrong, but I don't see it.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Online nick_z

« Reply #65 on: August 29, 2022, 06:48:20 PM »
Enjoying this record more and more...

And I agree Zonder's performance is top-notch...really elevates the material, although everyone truly does a fantastic job.

Lots of cool stuff going on. Love how the beat in the verse of Borrowed Time switches in an unexpected way (for me, at least  ;)). And I almost hear a nod to The Police around 1:50 of At the Waters Edge (great song, btw)

Given the musicians involved, I was hoping for a good album, but this is better than I expected. It's definitely hitting the spot...

Offline cfmoran13

« Reply #66 on: August 30, 2022, 07:21:08 PM »
Really enjoying this album.  Found out about it over the weekend through a 35-minute podcast Mark Zonder did (https://www.cmspn.com/podcast/cap-a-z-drummer-mark-zonder-dont-call-this-a-project/).  I've listened to the first 6 songs or so about 5 times through and it's all pretty cool.  I think they made 2 good choices for the first singles.  Does anyone else think "Rise Again" has a Jeff Scott Soto solo feel to it?  Now, I definitely have to make my way through the rest of the songs.

Offline WardySI

« Reply #67 on: August 30, 2022, 08:53:39 PM »
Really enjoying this album.  Found out about it over the weekend through a 35-minute podcast Mark Zonder did (https://www.cmspn.com/podcast/cap-a-z-drummer-mark-zonder-dont-call-this-a-project/).  I've listened to the first 6 songs or so about 5 times through and it's all pretty cool.  I think they made 2 good choices for the first singles.  Does anyone else think "Rise Again" has a Jeff Scott Soto solo feel to it?  Now, I definitely have to make my way through the rest of the songs.

Can't say I hear any JSS in Rise Again but what I do hear is one hell of a wonderful chorus after the 2min mark 😉

Online Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #68 on: September 01, 2022, 03:19:04 PM »
Just read a piece (and I forget where or I'd link it) where Zonder confirms the writing for A-Z 2 has commenced, and he and the band are totally willing to tour heavily. Hope that happens. I mean, these days, despite how good the record is, they'd have to slug it out in the clubs. But I'd be there in a heartbeat.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #69 on: September 01, 2022, 10:24:51 PM »
Finally got my copy. This really does sound a lot like it would fit in somewhere between Perfect Symmetry and Inside Out. I agree with TAC's take on that. Zonder finally plays some intricate stuff. Most of what I have heard from him post Fates has been a bit boring on the kit, but he sounds like, again, like this is Fates.

Ray does push it a couple of times where you can tell what he wanted to do but just couldn't quite get there. Didn't take me out of it, just reminded me that we all get old.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history