Author Topic: A-Z (featuring Ray Alder and Mark Zonder)  (Read 6261 times)

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
A-Z (featuring Ray Alder and Mark Zonder)
« on: June 09, 2022, 12:09:28 PM »
A-Z just released their first video-single through Metal Blade Records.  The song is called "The Machine Gunner." 

Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=it5fJwCB4-E

Bio: https://www.metalblade.com/a-z/

BIO
Ray Alder: Lead and Backing Vocals
Philip Bynoe: Bass Guitar
Vivien Lalu: Keyboards
Joop Wolters: Guitars
Mark Zonder: Drums

When Mark Zonder, famed former Fates Warning and Warlord drummer, started working on material in early 2020 he had a very clear vision for the band he wanted to put together. "I was thinking beer commercials, car commercials and Cobra Kai. I wanted to have a very accessible band that would appeal to the masses and would lead to the ability to tour larger venues and build a second and third record off the success of the first. I did not want to hear things like, 'I don't hear a single, it is too proggy, I just don't get it, let me listen to it a few more times'. I knew from myself and the others that I would recruit, it would have some sophisticated music parts but the big hook was the main priority." The result was A-Z, and while Zonder is adamant it is not a supergroup that is doing a 'one and done' record it has a stellar lineup, reuniting him with Fates Warning vocalist Ray Alder, Warlord/Steve Vai/Ring of Fire bassist Philip Bynoe, guitarist Joop Wolters and keyboardist Vivien Lalu, the combina-tion of these players stirring up a very specific kind of magic that could not be replicated.

Things came together smoothly from the start, Zonder sending drum patterns and grooves to first re-cruit Lalu, and he would write songs using guitar sounds so between the two of them they had basic song structures pretty quickly. Zonder knew Bynoe would jump on board as they have a long history and mutual respect and Lalu had worked with Wolters for years, recruiting him for the band. Both Wolters and Lalu brought in great musical ideas that were turned into songs. The goal was always the same: shorter songs and getting right to the chorus, no twelve-minute songs, and everyone found it easy working to this remit. With everything else coming together nicely, finding the right singer was the hardest aspect of the whole process. "I had sent out a basic song to over 20 different singers, some popular named singers and some unknown, but completely struck out," says Zonder. "Then I just decided to call Ray as I was not sure what he was up to. I figured it could not hurt to get in touch. I do remember speaking with him back in the day and him talking about how he loved this kind of mu-sic. I sent him a track or two and he just killed it." Adds Alder, "I found this a chance to do something completely different than what I am used to, being in a prog metal band for 30 years. I find the blend of the 80s, 90s and a touch of 70s style of music very cool, and it is great to work with Mark after all of these years." Thrilled to have him on board, Zonder did not have a list of demands. "My only words to him were 'do whatever you want.' I was not going to tell him what to do. Same for all of the others guys. Yes, there has to be some editing and making decisions, but when it came to the music I just wanted everyone to do what they do best." The results are undeniable, from the high octane stomper "The Machine Gunner", to the gorgeous sway of "Rise Again" or the towering "Stranded", every track an anthem that sounds like only the biggest venues could contain them.

The record was tracked all over the world - in the US, Spain, France and The Netherlands - with every-one recording in their respective home studios, except for Bynoe who recorded at Zonder's Moorpark, CA studio, and sending the files to each other to add their parts. Zonder produced it, rec-ognizing that someone needed to "drive the bus", and it was an easy process, and the fact that every-one involved is having a great time bleeds from the speakers. Zonder's friend Robbie Wyckoff also provided some backing vocals, the drummer wanting to "bring in the 70s-80s plush background vocal sound" to this band, but there are no guests on the record. This is a band. These are great players and no additional players were required. "I did not think I needed to bring in name players to help sell this. I understand why it is done, but I like the band concept." Simone Mularoni did an excellent job on the mix and Zonder is sure this is the best sounding record he has ever done.

The band's name came courtesy of Alder - A-Z = Alder thru Zonder - and it fit straight away. "What I liked is that it did not limit what someone would think of the band. If we named the band Scary Ser-pent it would give a certain direction and I did not want people to prejudge the band and record," Zonder says. Likewise, self-titling the record made sense. "I did not want to give a direction idea to the audience. If we named the album Far Side of the Horizon, people would probably think 'prog band'. But if you named it The Machine Gunner, it would give a totally different direction for thought." For artwork, wanting to again get the best possible contributor, they turned to the famed Hugh Syme (Rush, Fates Warning), who delivered the vivid image of a zebra eating an apple, encom-passing the band name in a sly way. "Again, hire the best people you can find and just let them do what they do. The artwork is absolutely fantastic and really fits the whole concept. He is truly the best. Just a great guy to work with."

The band are absolutely planning on touring the record - though acknowledge it is tough to book a band no one knows anything about yet - and while they are already working on album number two Zonder knows they have given their all on their debut. "I knew going into this that you get one shot so make it count. I was and am putting my money where my mouth is."

« Last Edit: June 09, 2022, 09:56:38 PM by Mebert78 »
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
Re: A-Z (featuring Ray Alder and Mark Zonder)
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2022, 12:17:53 PM »
I liked! I'm a huge fan of Mark and Ray and I like this more accessible kind of rock, so it's going to be easy for this album to win me over.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2022, 01:23:03 PM »
Enjoyed the song very much.

Album comes out August 12th? Cool, I'm on it!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2022, 01:46:58 PM »
Wow, not what I was expecting but digging it.

Hope it works out for Mark since it is a very similar description of the objective of the band that was used for Slavior.

Offline Deathless

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2022, 03:11:08 PM »
Heck of an album cover, LOL.

The song is good! Looking forward to hearing more.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2022, 03:41:50 PM »
That was a really nice song, and what a lineup! :metal

The album cover is a bit... unexpected, but I dig it. Where's this more adventurous Hugh Syme when DT needs him? :lol
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2022, 03:47:27 PM »
Damn, that was fresh, I liked that a lot.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2022, 03:48:04 PM »
I think Hugh Syme must've just watched Madagascar right before he started working on this album cover.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2022, 03:53:27 PM »
'A-Z' tracklist:
01. Trial by Fire
02. The Far Side of the Horizon
03. The Machine Gunner
04. Rise Again
05. Window Panes
06. Run Away
07. Stranded
08. At the Waters Edge
09. Borrowed Time
10. Sometimes
11. The Silence Broken (Bonus Track)

Looks like we have a Petrucci writing collab for track 8 :rollin
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline devieira73

« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2022, 04:46:40 PM »
Maybe I'm being totally obvious here, but since I didn't catch on the first time neither the second time I looked at the cover... Apple trough Zebra, duh?

Edited: From the press release - " For artwork, wanting to again get the best possible contributor, they turned to the famed Hugh Syme (Rush, Fates Warning), who delivered the vivid image of a zebra eating an apple, encom-passing the band name in a sly way. " Never mind :facepalm:

Anyway, I like the cover, it really draws attention.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2022, 05:39:13 PM by devieira73 »

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2022, 04:54:55 PM »
Pretty good song  :metal

Offline nick_z

« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2022, 05:59:05 PM »
Yep, very nice song...melodic, energetic and with some great playing!

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2022, 06:10:15 PM »
Yep, I'm down for this.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2022, 06:29:06 PM »
I'm intrigued. I've always loved Zonder's drumming and always thought of him as the premier Fates Warning drummer.

I love Ray Alder too, but his voice has lost so much over the years. I don't know if it's just age or he hasn't been taking care of it.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline nick_z

« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2022, 06:47:35 PM »
I'm intrigued. I've always loved Zonder's drumming and always thought of him as the premier Fates Warning drummer.

I love Ray Alder too, but his voice has lost so much over the years. I don't know if it's just age or he hasn't been taking care of it.

I would agree if the last thing I'd heard from him was Darkness in a Different Light...he did sound a bit worn out on that one...if I remember correclty, he himself said he didn't take great care of his voice over the years.

...But I thought he had a pretty amazing comeback with Theories of Flight. Yes, surely his voice is different than it used to be, but I absolutely love his performance on that record. Mature and full of nuance...and he sounds fantastic on Live over Europe too.

Online HOF

« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2022, 10:49:31 PM »
"I was thinking beer commercials, car commercials and Cobra Kai. I wanted to have a very accessible band that would appeal to the masses.”

:rollin

The song is pretty bland but the drumming is cool.

Offline emtee

« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2022, 06:49:34 AM »
I love Zonder and Alder so I'll be buying it. Cool cover. Logo shape reminds me of Asia.

Song was cool...nothing mind blowing or unique.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2022, 08:48:18 AM »
Liked the new tune. The product was really done. Amazes me that these "small" bands can nail the production sound but big bands struggle getting a good sound.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2022, 09:55:40 AM »
Today A-Z has released the second single from their upcoming debut album. Fans can check out the new music video for “Trial By Fire” below. A-Z self-titled debut album will see an August 12, 2022 release via Metal Blade Records.

Speaking about the new single, the band comments: “We always felt that ‘Trial by Fire’ was going to be a big song for us. Classic arena rock style song, big intro, great groove, memorable chorus, and a classic vocal-oriented ending. All of the elements that made the 70’s and 80’s the greatest era for rock.“

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eS9oyAr7dLc

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2022, 10:03:31 AM »
The verses have a very strong Parallels vibe which is nice.......then the chorus seems almost a little too catchy compared to what came before - no doubt it will grow on further listens.  I very much like the style/vibe of what they're trying for here.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2022, 10:15:42 AM by bl5150 »
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Deathless

« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2022, 11:11:34 AM »
This is another good track. If this was released 10-15 years ago this band would probably sell something like 8-10k copies in it's first week and get the band on a solid tour grouping. I hope they plan to tour and not just be a studio band.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2022, 12:52:50 PM »
Philip Seymour Hoffman killed that solo.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2022, 04:28:25 PM »
Really love the new track. Sounds Parallels era mixed with Journey in the chorus. Great guitar solo too. Really looking forward to this.

I know the album is available for pre-order through MetalBlade, but anyone here in the U.S. find it on Amazon.com yet? I am not finding the listing, and it's getting annoying. LOL.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline devieira73

« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2022, 05:19:39 PM »
Another really cool track! The intro riff reminds me of Pale Fire and the drumming a bit of Face the Fear.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2022, 05:37:56 PM by devieira73 »

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2022, 05:40:43 PM »
Liked the first song a bit more, but I still enjoyed this one. Really looking forward to the full album, and yes, it definitely sounds Parallels-ish before the chorus :tup

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: July 07, 2022, 06:14:37 PM »
Really love the new track. Sounds Parallels era mixed with Journey in the chorus. Great guitar solo too. Really looking forward to this.

I know the album is available for pre-order through MetalBlade, but anyone here in the U.S. find it on Amazon.com yet? I am not finding the listing, and it's getting annoying. LOL.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0B137WCD3/  :hat

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #26 on: July 07, 2022, 06:31:20 PM »
Thank you!
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline WardySI

« Reply #27 on: July 07, 2022, 07:42:24 PM »
OMG that bass playing is fucking incredible!!! :o

As is the rest, what a fantastic song :metal

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #28 on: July 07, 2022, 07:42:54 PM »
Yeah, I like this song.

Offline nick_z

« Reply #29 on: July 08, 2022, 07:43:55 AM »
Call me intrigued after these two songs.

Always a pleasure to hear Zonder's drumming, especially in the context of these melodic and catchy tunes...

Offline T-ski

« Reply #30 on: July 08, 2022, 08:15:41 AM »

I was really proud of this joke and it went unrecognized. I’m sad.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #31 on: July 08, 2022, 09:32:47 AM »

:rollin

Offline WardySI

« Reply #32 on: July 08, 2022, 11:01:36 PM »

It was recognised and thought it was funny, but we already knew Hoffman was proficient on the guitar  ;D

https://youtu.be/-3P-f-8Lfcs

Offline T-ski

« Reply #33 on: July 09, 2022, 08:41:51 AM »

It was recognised and thought it was funny, but we already knew Hoffman was proficient on the guitar  ;D

https://youtu.be/-3P-f-8Lfcs

:lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #34 on: August 12, 2022, 01:57:03 PM »
Album is out today.
Any thoughts?

It's quite easy on the ears. I think this will be a grower though.

A-Z is a dumb name though.