Author Topic: The Wildhearts  (Read 1314 times)

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
The Wildhearts
« on: September 03, 2021, 04:52:54 PM »
I'm not sure I've ever seen a thread for these guys on this forum but among Maiden, NFO and ABBA dropping new music this week, these guys' new record sounds REALLY good so far.

Like a focussed cross between PHUQ and Fishing For Luckies.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline SoundscapeMN

Re: The Wildhearts
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2021, 05:06:20 PM »
I've always meant to get into them, and both them and Ginger's music have moments I enjoy, but I've never been floored by any 1 song or part in a tune to find I needed to go back to them.

I suppose at 1 time I could have said the same about XTC or sElf, so maybe I haven't heard the right song or album. I do recall checking out P.H.U.Q. many years ago, and thinking it wasn't bad, although the vocals and style may have had a little too much of the Grungey PowerPop, that doesn't go quite as far for me.

But maybe the new record is worth hearing?

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2021, 12:37:04 AM »
I'm not sure it's going to be a game changer if you're not already on the bus. But I've only heard half of it last night.

It sounded less pop, more focussed and heavy (but in a determined way not noisy way) and more shifts of styles in the same song (I'm not going to say proggy).

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2021, 01:12:17 PM »
I'm a fairly big fan, but weirdly their more recent catalogue is what I know and love. I first heard them back in '09, with The Wildhearts Must Be Destroyed. It is still my favourite album of theirs, and is just chock full of hits! I then got a greatest hits album and a three disc collection spanning their career at that point. I bought their live album The Wildhearts Strike Back, and have then followed every album they've released since then. So yea, I've never listened to their early albums, but I do know all the hits from them.

I really liked Renaissance Men from a few years ago, and Chutzpah! holds a special place my heart.

I've just listened to the new one, and although it needs more listens, I liked what I heard, especially the closer. Anyway, great band and they are playing real near to me in a few weeks and I'm really thinking of going.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2021, 02:05:50 PM »
I've been a big fan since PHUQ, which I bought on a whim when it came out. I'd seen them supporting Wolfsbane (Blaze's old band) when their first EP dropped and I wasn't really on board, tho remember being impressed with the vocal harmonies. But PHUQ hit me like a ton of bricks, as did their debut Earth Vs The Wildhearts and Fishing For Luckies.

I've seen them a bunch of times and think they're one of those best-bands-in-the-world-most-people haven't-heard-of.

I enjoyed Chutzpah and the one before it but Renaissance Men really impressed me. That track Diagnosis is just unbelievably perfect. That opening intro and riff is like everything that was great about ACDC and Quo turned up to 11. Massive!

Maiden have taken over this weekend's listening so i need to get back to these guys.

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2021, 01:45:11 PM »
The new album is a bit patchy for me but has a couple of highlights. Particularly the closer My Head Wants Me Dead! I love this song and wish more of the album was as good as this!

Offline Zoom E

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2021, 07:03:00 PM »
I bought PHUQ when it was released and quite enjoyed it. Some very catchy tunes.

I hadn't heard anything else by the Wildhearts until I bought Renaissance Men a couple of years ago. I didn't enjoy that one quite as much, mostly due to the vocals being a bit gruff, but it is decent enough.

Wasn't aware they have a new album. Will check it out.

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2021, 02:15:34 AM »
I used to LOVE The Wildhearts, back in the early 90s they were one of the best bands I've ever seen, their songs were like nothing else (poppy, yet heavy) and their gigs were so intense, I remember seeing them at Nottingham Rock City about the time of the Fishing for Luckies re-release and they played encore after encore after mother*cking encore, they must have been on stage for well over 3 hours, the entire crowd singing every word of Geordie in Wonderland, one of the best gigs of my life. But then they imploded with Endless Nameless and that was that. I've followed the reunion stuff, it's good, and I've seen them live a few times since, but I do feel its about the nostalgia these days. Renaissance Men was a belter of an album, though, came really close to matching the energy of their younger days. There's some good stuff on the new one, but it hasn't really clicked with me yet - think I need to play it more. I'm struggling with terrible depression at the moment and listening to music is one of the things I'm finding it hard to do.

Anyway, nice to see some love for The Wildhearts on here! All together now... "Don't worry 'bout me, Don't worry 'bout me..."
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2021, 04:38:02 AM »
I was aware of them when they were in their prime around the same time as I was getting into Therapy? and Oasis and bands like China Drum and Ash and My Vitriol ( 1 album in 20 years ;D **)

But never really investigated them. I heard a few songs here and there.

**- I always wonder what bands do when they're not touring or making music for years and years and years.

Offline nick_z

« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2021, 06:31:43 AM »
I was aware of them when they were in their prime around the same time as I was getting into Therapy? and Oasis and bands like China Drum and Ash and My Vitriol ( 1 album in 20 years ;D **)

That lone My Vitriol album is very good. Really enjoyed it when it came out. It almost felt they could become a a bigger band at the time, but I guess they disappeared instead...

Offline nick_z

« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2021, 06:32:49 AM »
I'm struggling with terrible depression at the moment and listening to music is one of the things I'm finding it hard to do.

Sorry to hear that, man  :-[

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2021, 06:49:29 AM »
I'm struggling with terrible depression at the moment and listening to music is one of the things I'm finding it hard to do.

Sorry to hear that, man  :-[

Me too. :hug:

I actually find playing my drums helps a lot. :-)

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2021, 01:36:32 PM »
Hope you guys are getting by ok.

I've not been in the mood for the new Wildhearts esp yet, even though the first listen sounded great.

You mentioned China Drum, kotow. That Kate Bush cover of their's is a banger.  :tup

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2021, 04:09:31 PM »
It's amazing and way better than the original - and the guitar solo is exact note for note  :lol :metal

Goosefair is a fantastic album. Self Made maniac was alright but nowhere near as good and their final album DIKSIN is f-ing nuts.

It's their St Anger but not for the production - they recorded loads of ideas and made songs out of them in pro Tools

and used an electronic drumkit etc. It's a great album but it's weird AS F-K. Check it out.

Here's Track 1 https://open.spotify.com/track/2dQWPvTL9kk8SE2h5wZ2xf?si=3fed67237b5c49f7
« Last Edit: October 14, 2021, 04:14:59 PM by Kotowboy »

Offline Cruithne

« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2021, 05:04:32 AM »
I'm a fairly big fan, but weirdly their more recent catalogue is what I know and love. I first heard them back in '09, with The Wildhearts Must Be Destroyed. It is still my favourite album of theirs, and is just chock full of hits!

I believe a lot of fans rate that as their worst (I certainly do), though it depends on what they make of Endless Nameless, which I love but not everyone does, for obvious reasons!

I then got a greatest hits album and a three disc collection spanning their career at that point. I bought their live album The Wildhearts Strike Back, and have then followed every album they've released since then. So yea, I've never listened to their early albums, but I do know all the hits from them.

If you're sticking to hits and album releases then you're missing a big part of the joy of The Wildhearts, which is some of their best songs are B-sides and for a time some of their best ever material (Fishing For Luckies) was languishing on a fan-club only release! I'd cheerfully rate Chutzpah! Jnr! as comfortably better than Chutzpah! though Chutzpah! still has a few stormers.

Also, the thing with the Wildhearts is that most of the albums are just about all Ginger, so you're really missing out if you don't investigate his solo/side project endeavours, albeit that material can get quite eclectic and be some way off the "Beatles meets Metallica"* of The Wildhearts.

Here's some lesser known non-Wildhearts gems I'd recommend:

Unlucky In Love (Clam Abuse)
Not Bitter, Just A Little Disappointed (B-side from the singles club solo release Cars & Vaginas)
Walk Like A Motherf*cker (Silver Ginger 5 "demo")
Drinking In The Daytime (from Valor Del Corazon)
The Pendine Incident (from month 5 of the GASS project / The Year Of The Fanclub)
Toxins & Tea (from month 8 of the GASS project / The Year Of The Fanclub)
Don't Lose Your Tail Girl (from month 12 of the GASS project / The Year Of The Fanclub)
Zap (from Headzapoppin)
Why Aye (Oh You) (from The Pessimist's Companion)
I Need You (from Albion... a chunk of the fanbase doesn't agree with me as they didn't vote that onto the commerical release despite it being my favourite song off the album!**)
...and just about anything off both Hey! Hello! albums.

* Though I've always preferred "Cheap Trick meets Sepultura".
** And one of the very, very few songs that's ever brought a tear to my eyes despite it sounding superficially cheery.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2022, 12:40:17 AM »
I've been having a Wildhearts resurgence over the last week or so which has got me back into 21st Century Love Songs. Fantastic record!