Author Topic: Mike Portnoy & District 97 - You Oughta Know (in Memory of Taylor Hawkins)  (Read 1201 times)

Offline District97

So...something really incredible happened aboard Cruise to the Edge last month; here we are with VERY special guest Mike Portnoy performing "You Oughta Know" by Alanis Morissette, in memory of her former drummer and Mike's good friend, Taylor Hawkins of Foo Fighters. What do you think of this collaboration?

https://youtu.be/OS5eZMA2D8I

Offline Mladen

That was pretty cool, I've only recently started to appreciate that song.  :tup

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
I didn't get into Alanis until the last couple years (finally!), and You Oughta Know still isn't close to one of my favorites, but that was a nice little performance.   :tup :tup

Offline HOF

I didn't get into Alanis until the last couple years (finally!), and You Oughta Know still isn't close to one of my favorites, but that was a nice little performance.   :tup :tup

Yeah, Jagged Little Pill is a good album, but I always hated this song! Still a very cool performance. Not sure I knew that Hawkins played with Alannis. He didn't play on Jagged Little Pill per the credits. I guess he was in her touring band maybe?

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
He was yes. (until he joined the Foo Fighters in 1998 (?), 1997 ish (?), never appeared on any studio album by Alanis)  Do search for live versions of the thing recorded in 1995 and 1996, these are brilliant,and that lineup was her best to date IMHO. Brilliant. (one example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1ulzJwd_oE)
« Last Edit: June 03, 2022, 10:24:53 AM by Max Kuehnau »
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"