Author Topic: Kings of Mercia - S/T (Jim Matheos, Joey Vera - Fates Warning; Simon Phillips)  (Read 3024 times)

Offline PowerSlave

I've enjoyed both songs so far. Jim's lead playing seems to be better than ever, and the rest of the performances have been very solid. It's nothing that hasn't been done before, but that doesn't matter if it's done well. This is done very well.
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
Good follow-up track. Looking forward to the album.  :metal
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Online MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
To celebrate the album’s release, Kings of Mercia are pleased to share the video for the third single “Humankind”, which you can see here:
https://youtu.be/JEyftBvR7Xs

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
Song is okay. Good message. Looking forward to getting the record today.

I guess I'm not as sold on Steve Overland's voice as many are. Good singer, but it doesn't resonate with me like it does some others. I've never listened to FM, so these singles are the first I've heard him. He's okay.

Solo has nice attitude and is the highlight of things. Not surprising with Jim. Always love his solos.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
Did they not invite Joey Vera or Simon Phillips to the video shoot?

The song itself is extremely average.
solid drumming though (yes, Simon is one of my heroes)

The drum production was excellent. But Simon has a kind of pitter patter style that I don't love.
Imo Simon is an expert on drum production. Would be interesting to know what you don't like about Simons drumming?
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
He very much is yes, since he also is a prolific engineer and producer, not just a drummer (his first production job was Crises by Mike Oldfield in 1983, which he also played on. Sounds great. Well worth checking out if you haven't yet)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3KsyPbBLXo this is the entire album. He sounds far less like himself here (meaning: far less open and massive and natural) than on any other album with him on it (which wasn't his decision I'd guess) Really strange. This also makes me think that he didn't engineer, mix or produce this album.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2022, 12:08:38 PM by Max Kuehnau »
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline HOF

After listening to the latest track, I still think the singer is the least generic thing about this band.

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
I'm enjoying the album for what it is.  Set The World Afire is a pretty blazing song. 

Online WardySI

I'm enjoying the album for what it is.  Set The World Afire is a pretty blazing song. 

Agreed it was one the first to jump out at me...

Ya know the ballads are a bit too sugar sweet here but otherwise I think this is an excellent album with some obvious Fates undertones (occasionally I expect Ray's pipes instead of Overlands) yet the majority is straight up rock and quite the surprise. 

Set The World On Fire, Humankind, Liberate Me and Your Life are magnificent, right there with the A-Z release IMO.

« Last Edit: September 24, 2022, 07:12:54 AM by WardySI »

Offline goo-goo

I've been spinning the album all weekend and I'm having a blast. Sounds like Toto on steroids, with some old Sabbath and AOR. Production is top notch as well.

Looking at the thank you's sections, Frank Aresti is thanked. Did he play any of the solos? I want to say the outro solo from the last song is very "Arestish"...The rest of the solos sound like what Jim would play.

Edit: If I had to choose which one would be my favorite release from KoM or A-Z, I think I would go with A-Z...
« Last Edit: September 26, 2022, 02:22:14 PM by goo-goo »

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
I haven't listened to the new Kings of Mercia yet, but I listened to FM's "Tough it Out" album from 1989 to familiarize myself with Steve Overland.  That album gives me a Huey Lewis and News vibe, and Overland's soulful singing reminds me some of Michael McDonald.  I'll try to sink my teeth into the new KoM album this week. :) 
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Online WardySI

I've been spinning the album all weekend and I'm having a blast. Sounds like Toto on steroids, with some old Sabbath and AOR. Production is top notch as well.

Looking at the thank you's sections, Frank Aresti is thanked. Did he play any of the solos? I want to say the outro solo from the last song is very "Arestish"...The rest of the solos sound like what Jim would play.

Edit: If I had to choose which one would be my favorite release from KoM or A-Z, I think I would go with A-Z...

I missed that good pickup. It may just be a genuine shout out but you have me wondering too now  ;D

Offline Zoom E

I haven't listened to the new Kings of Mercia yet, but I listened to FM's "Tough it Out" album from 1989 to familiarize myself with Steve Overland.  That album gives me a Huey Lewis and News vibe, and Overland's soulful singing reminds me some of Michael McDonald.  I'll try to sink my teeth into the new KoM album this week. :)

I just gave Kings of Mercia a first listen today. Steve Overland’s voice reminds me at times of Joe Bonamassa.

Online WardySI

I just gave Kings of Mercia a first listen today. Steve Overland’s voice reminds me at times of Joe Bonamassa.

Def this more Joe than Huey to my ears albeit am a huge Huey and The News fan (still) so maybe why not hearing that  ;)

Offline SoundscapeMN

kind of struggling with the vocals with this.

Online WardySI

I played the album a few times over today while working in the yards and driving etc and gotta say have warmed to the ballads too now just such a great release (can Jim do no wrong?) I expect this will rank high in my end of year polls and chuffed just read online they signed a 3 album deal so yes please thankyou very much! :metal

kind of struggling with the vocals with this.

Can appreciate that am not normally a big fan of Overland's vocals kind of a 'Good but take 'em or leave them' kinda deal but gotta say now have absorbed the album better I think Steve brings something unique to the material and loving what he's done here.

Sidenote I bought the digital album but really want get myself a CD copy but unfortunately because of the import costs to Down Under the only one I can find in the country they're asking a whopping $45 (about US $30) for which is just insane... :-[