Author Topic: Ernie Ball/Music Man JP6  (Read 943 times)

Offline Volante99

Ernie Ball/Music Man JP6
« on: May 27, 2022, 10:28:33 PM »
Just bought the new(ish) 20th Anniversary JP6-

I always thought the JP6 looked kind of boring and utilitarian but I liked the look of the new honey butter with gold hardware on the JP6 20th so I found a deal and took a chance on one. Best guitar I have ever played in my life! Neck is smooth as butter and very comfortable. The trem is great for doing that signature JP “flutter”- absolutely destroys my Floyd rose and Ibanez Edge (although the Ibanez stays in tune a bit longer- ie forever). Very resonant and has more features than I will ever use. Also came with a JP signed “commemoration” certificate of authenticity- very nice touch.

Honestly I’m now a fan of the JP6 and will consider buying another in a different color - (looking for a Mystic Dream in nice condition).

The ONLY downside is it makes all my other guitars (including my USA made custom shop Charvel) seem like cheap toys. It’s basically my go-to guitar now.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
Re: Ernie Ball/Music Man JP6
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2022, 10:23:11 AM »
Show us the goods!
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2022, 12:31:01 PM »
Nice,  I wonder how it compares to the Majesty version of that anniversary model?
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Volante99

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2022, 04:03:30 PM »
Hopefully these links work for ya’ll;

https://i.imgur.com/HrwNeDz.jpg (guitar in case)
https://i.imgur.com/mo6D3RN.jpg (close up)
https://i.imgur.com/N6JUqu5.jpg (Certificate of Authenticity with John’s autograph)

As far as the JP6 vs Majesty- never played a Majesty but I’ve heard they are built strictly for performance in mind. They are a lighter, sleeker version of the JP6. The neck-thru body on the Majesty should (at least in theory) increase sustain. If the JP6 is a Dodge Viper than the Majesty is a Porsche 911. Both have similar features and electronics but different pickups. I’ve honestly heard so many good things about the Majesty but I just can’t get over the looks. That extra long cutaway horn is meant to give complete access to the higher frets but it makes the guitar look unbalanced to me.

I’ve been told by a couple hardcore JP6 fans that the 20th Anniversary JP6 is he heaviest (in weight) and most resonant in their JP collection, perhaps it’s the Honduran Mahogany?

Haven’t heard much on the Majesty 20th Anniversary specifically but I imagine it’s similar to all the other Majesty guitars minus the cosmetic differences.

For whatever reason there seems to be a lot of 20th Anniversary JPs and Majesty’s on the used/Reverb market (maybe people aren’t a fan of the “look”? I think it’s gorgeous)- so good deals can be had. Not sure why but I think people are sleeping on this release- it’s a great guitar.

« Last Edit: May 28, 2022, 04:11:43 PM by Volante99 »

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2022, 06:27:05 PM »
Awesome,  thanks for explaining.  I'll check out the photos too.  I've also heard nothing but good about the JP12,  and the JP 15. 
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Skeever

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2022, 03:27:09 PM »
For whatever reason there seems to be a lot of 20th Anniversary JPs and Majesty’s on the used/Reverb market (maybe people aren’t a fan of the “look”? I think it’s gorgeous)- so good deals can be had. Not sure why but I think people are sleeping on this release- it’s a great guitar.

1.) Lots of small but legit music shops will use a Reverb to list their new inventory
2 ) be careful more scams on reverb by the day