Author Topic: What are the latest movements in metal?  (Read 414 times)

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
What are the latest movements in metal?
« on: May 25, 2022, 07:12:53 PM »
It used to seem like these various scenes would arise without me consciously noticing until after they'd already gone by.  I've been a lot more on top of things in the past couple years, but I'm sure I'm still missing things, and I may have overlooked others further back. 

Older, it seems the melodic metalcore, deathcore, and djent scenes are pretty much in the past now.  A few scattered bands still around, but mostly legacy or obscure acts at this point. 

There are other metalcore offshoots like Northlane, Code Orange, Jinjer and such that are still fairly popular, but I'm not sure any particular style is predominant. 

Kind of borders more on hard rock, but there was this retro occult rock/metal scene with The Devil's Blood and others that seems to be dying down. 

Blackgaze with Alcest, Deafheaven and such seems to still be going, but is probably on the decline. 

The old-school death metal revival with Tomb Mold, Gatecreeper and others is still a thing, but is probably diminishing. 

Technical death metal probably peaked in the early 10s, but still seems to be going with Archspire and others. 

There was a trad metal revival with Eternal Champion and others, arguably we're still in it, but I suspect it's already peaked. 

There was a thrash revival in the late 00s with Municipal Waste and such that has never quite gone away, Power Trip has been a hot topic of late. 

Stoner doom from Electric Wizard and others was huge for awhile, not sure how much momentum it has retained. 

Synth-driven, mid-tempo power metal still seems to be a relatively big deal with Sabaton, Beast In Black and others, that might be one of the more dominant ones presently. 

Doom/death like Spectral Voice and others seems like it might be on an uptick. 

Maybe a bit smaller, but the dissonant/skronk death metal stuff is still relatively big I guess, with Portal, Ad Nauseam, or crossing over into black metal with Imperial Triumphant, or Deathspell Omega, who were pretty much the origin of it from that side. 

There's a black/thrash/speed/roll scene with Midnight and others, but I don't know how large it really is. 

All kinds of other stuff going on in black metal, but I don't listen to enough of it to parse out what the major trends are. 

Lots of more niche stuff that I'm not sure is that popular outside of certain niches and bands, like war metal, Kawaii metal, and a few personal favorites like dream sludge and atmospheric doom. 

What else is of note currently or in recent times?