Author Topic: RIP Norm MacDonald  (Read 4182 times)

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Re: RIP Norm MacDonald
« Reply #35 on: September 17, 2021, 08:01:39 AM »
Maybe I missed the boat on this guy. I am not big in to stand-up, so don't know how he fared in that realm. I really only knew him via SNL, which I never really thought was very funny, though not because of him. I have seen articles hailing him as "legendary" and "iconic," terms which I prefer to reserve for truly unique situations. Sounds like he left an indelible mark on the funny bone of many.

I always get in trouble for this, I guess because of timing, but being honest doesn't mean disrespectful, so here goes. It's clear I'm a fan, I'm posting links as well, and I'm here to celebrate Norm. But I don't know about "legendary" and "iconic". I'm pretty sure Norm himself would scoff at that. To me, "iconic" is one of the most over-used words in modern parlance.   "Iconic" specifically means having the characteristic of an icon, which is itself something that is widely known and recognized, almost as a "brand" for whatever you're talking about.  When you think of quintessential stand-up comedians, is Norm your first go-to?   Carlin, Pryor, maybe Seinfeld: iconic.
I get what you're saying.

Where I would feel OK using those words about Norm is that I have heard many comedians use those words for him, and not just now, but for years.

When the inside guys are comfortable saying it, then I am comfortable saying it, especially if I think it also.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #36 on: September 17, 2021, 12:00:28 PM »
Maybe I missed the boat on this guy. I am not big in to stand-up, so don't know how he fared in that realm. I really only knew him via SNL, which I never really thought was very funny, though not because of him. I have seen articles hailing him as "legendary" and "iconic," terms which I prefer to reserve for truly unique situations. Sounds like he left an indelible mark on the funny bone of many.

I always get in trouble for this, I guess because of timing, but being honest doesn't mean disrespectful, so here goes. It's clear I'm a fan, I'm posting links as well, and I'm here to celebrate Norm. But I don't know about "legendary" and "iconic". I'm pretty sure Norm himself would scoff at that. To me, "iconic" is one of the most over-used words in modern parlance.   "Iconic" specifically means having the characteristic of an icon, which is itself something that is widely known and recognized, almost as a "brand" for whatever you're talking about.  When you think of quintessential stand-up comedians, is Norm your first go-to?   Carlin, Pryor, maybe Seinfeld: iconic.
I get what you're saying.

Where I would feel OK using those words about Norm is that I have heard many comedians use those words for him, and not just now, but for years.

When the inside guys are comfortable saying it, then I am comfortable saying it, especially if I think it also.

I think in entertainment, if you’re a huge influence on your peers, you start to cross into icon territory, and even before he passed, almost every single stand up comedian has cited Norm as a huge influence on them. He left a tremendous impact on the comedy world, and that’s what makes him an icon.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline Mladen

« Reply #37 on: September 18, 2021, 02:26:43 AM »
Plenty of people tried to describe what was so special about Norm over the last several days, but I think Conan O'Brien is the one that truly cracked it. From 57:00 up to 59:07. Conan uses the "youthful porpoise" joke as an example of Norm's greatness and comes with a spectacular analysis of his entire body of work. I recommend you to give it a listen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDA0lGjVp40&ab_channel=CrashMax

Offline faizoff

« Reply #38 on: September 18, 2021, 07:15:18 AM »
Been meaning to check that out. Will give it a listen.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #39 on: September 18, 2021, 11:14:36 AM »
Had no idea he was so highly regarded among his peers.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline reneranucci

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #40 on: September 20, 2021, 08:28:46 PM »
Sad news. Especially because Norm won't live to see the day when OJ Simpson finally catches Nicole's real murderer.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #41 on: May 30, 2022, 08:47:11 AM »
I am bumping this thread because of the recent events. Apparently, Norm spent his last several years working on new material that he wanted to record in front of the audience in 2020, but was unable to do so because of the pandemic and lockdowns. He was also getting more ill and had to undergo an operation, so he decided to film the special in his own room with no audience, so that it could be shared with people if "things went south."

The special is now available on Netflix and is called Nothing special. Not only does it feature some fantastic jokes, it is also very touching. Towards the end, Norm's colleagues (Letterman, O'Brien, Sandler etc) sit around and discuss Norm's work. I think this is a big event for fans of Norm Macdonald, but also for stand up comedy fans in general. If anyone has seen it, share your thoughts.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #42 on: May 30, 2022, 09:53:49 AM »
I haven't yet ... but now I'm intrigued
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #43 on: May 30, 2022, 09:58:31 AM »
I am bumping this thread because of the recent events. Apparently, Norm spent his last several years working on new material that he wanted to record in front of the audience in 2020, but was unable to do so because of the pandemic and lockdowns. He was also getting more ill and had to undergo an operation, so he decided to film the special in his own room with no audience, so that it could be shared with people if "things went south."

The special is now available on Netflix and is called Nothing special. Not only does it feature some fantastic jokes, it is also very touching. Towards the end, Norm's colleagues (Letterman, O'Brien, Sandler etc) sit around and discuss Norm's work. I think this is a big event for fans of Norm Macdonald, but also for stand up comedy fans in general. If anyone has seen it, share your thoughts.

I just read about this last night!

Yeah, this is definitely going to be required viewing for my upcoming week.

Offline Harmony

« Reply #44 on: May 30, 2022, 10:11:02 AM »
David Spade mentioned this on his Fly On the Wall podcast a few weeks back.  It sounds AMAZING and I cannot wait to watch it.  We just finished Ozark (finally) so it will be first up this next weekend.  Thanks for the reminder.
Just another member of Gaia's intramural baseball squad