Live At Luna Park
0 (0%)
Breaking The Fourth Wall
0 (0%)
Distant Memories
5 (21.7%)

Total Members Voted: 23

Voting closed: May 26, 2022, 09:09:33 AM

Author Topic: Dream Theater Survivor 2021 - The Live Albums - Round 1  (Read 524 times)

Online The Letter M

Dream Theater Survivor 2021 - The Live Albums - Round 1
« on: May 24, 2022, 09:09:33 AM »
The Live Albums
Live At The Marquee
Once In A LIVEtime
Live Scenes From New York
Live At Budokan
Score
Chaos In Motion 2007-2008
Live At Luna Park
Breaking The Fourth Wall
Distant Memories

The band has released nine live albums as part of the main discography, so now it's time to see how they rank with a survivor! I think I know which one will take the top spot, but it'll be interesting to see where the others fall!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline 425

Re: Dream Theater Survivor 2021 - The Live Albums - Round 1
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2022, 09:57:37 AM »
I voted for Livetime. For me, as for many people, probably, it came down to OiaL vs. CiM, and I made the choice based on the fact that I like the setlist better on CiM.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline pg1067

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2022, 10:26:13 AM »
I voted for Livetime. For me, as for many people, probably, it came down to OiaL vs. CiM, and I made the choice based on the fact that I like the setlist better on CiM.

Pretty much.  I don't actually own CIM the album.  The DVD is remarkably subpar.  I own both the album and DVD of OIAL.  While I'll occasionally watch the DVD, I can't remember the last time I listened to the album.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2022, 10:39:47 AM »
Once in a Livetime

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2022, 10:42:36 AM »
CiM.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2022, 10:53:22 AM »
God dammit!  I clicked on Score biaxident!  :facepalm:

CIM
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Online The Letter M

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2022, 11:09:10 AM »

CIM

If it comes down to a tie and CIM can break it, I'll be sure to adjust the final results accordingly.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2022, 11:16:31 AM »
Once in a Livetime

Yes, one of the easiest 1st rounds ever in these polls.

Offline Shalev Amir

• Shmoolikipod
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2022, 11:41:39 AM »
I'm not familiar with most of the live albums, but let me just say that CiM is awesome. TDEN particularly, I generally hate the song but in CiM it has a goofier sound that fits better than the studio version.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2022, 01:10:33 PM »
I'm not familiar with most of the live albums, but let me just say that CiM is awesome.
You should probably get more familiar with the others before saying things like that, because they are all better than CiM.

CiM.
There it is.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline 425

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2022, 02:15:02 PM »
Hey, on the bright side, if you think CiM is awesome, you'll be blown away by most of the others.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2022, 03:29:32 PM »

CIM

If it comes down to a tie and CIM can break it, I'll be sure to adjust the final results accordingly.

-Marc.

Thanks M, sorry about that. :-[
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2022, 05:57:33 PM »
I have a clear top two and bottom two. Chaos in Motion can go first and Once in a Livetime is next.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2022, 06:30:08 PM »
This was hard. Went with Livetime, though could have easily been CiM. I enjoy the 5 Years in a Livetime DVD, but mostly for the audio commentary, and appreciate it for being a quasi-documentary of the band over those years. I never listen to the CD.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Shalev Amir

• Shmoolikipod
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2022, 11:46:35 PM »
I'm not familiar with most of the live albums, but let me just say that CiM is awesome.
You should probably get more familiar with the others before saying things like that, because they are all better than CiM.
Hey, if the others are better that shouldn't make me like CiM as it's own thing any less. I like TA but it doesn't compete with 6DOIT, and the RiR version of Maiden's Ghost of the Navigator doesn't make the studio one obsolete, just different.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2022, 01:57:32 AM »
LIVEtime, excellent songs selection but James was still recovering from his accident.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2022, 09:54:31 AM »
Hey, if the others are better that shouldn't make me like CiM as it's own thing any less. I like TA but it doesn't compete with 6DOIT, and the RiR version of Maiden's Ghost of the Navigator doesn't make the studio one obsolete, just different.

Of course.  In here we vote for our "least" favorite.  Doesn't mean we don't like it.

Offline CharlesPL

« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2022, 02:05:16 PM »
memories

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2022, 08:22:57 PM »
I don't actually own CIM the album.  The DVD is remarkably subpar. 

For as bad as the DVD is in terms of video quality, when I just listen to the album I am always a little pleasantly surprised to find myself enjoying it.

Was there a legitimate vote for Score? I know there was a goof vote. But now it has 2.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'