Author Topic: Official top 75 Iron Maiden songs thread!! (Top 2 revealed on 07/15!!)  (Read 55244 times)

Offline nick_z

Re: Official top 75 Iron Maiden songs thread!! (Countdown is now going!)
« Reply #1225 on: July 04, 2022, 10:28:25 AM »
Empire of the Clouds (#71)

This one is interesting. I kinda think this is a bit over-hyped because of the length and everything, and I wasn't sure it was going to rank for me. Turns out it ended up "winning" more matches than I thought in the ranker  ;)  I agree with Kev and Tim fully - the song is quite a feat for a Bruce and I have to say it does a good job keeping the attention up, but I don't think it needs to be this long. Anyway, overall I'm surprised it made it so high in the aggregate ranking.

The Legacy (#66)

Sums up the approach in AMOLAD well. Not the easiest to get into, but it pays off. The intro takes a little too long to build up, but I like how ominous the riff sounds, with the distorted and acoustic guitars together. It's pretty heavy overall, but with some nice melodic moments. And the finale is quite epic.

Ghost of the Navigator (#31)

Always loved this one, and it's my favorite from Brave New World. I was mentioning that I was maybe a little disappointed when I first heard The Wicker Man (which I had bought as a single), but on my first listen of BNW I remember I had a big smile on my face as Ghost started...especially as the main riff kicked in with Nicko's drums. At the time, it almost brought me back to Seventh Son vibes. It's epic, it has great melodies, and it's done in a relatively compact package. Good stuff.

Ok, so now that we officially entered the Twenties, my ranked/unranked split is 37/10.

I'm looking at my top 20 and now I'm starting to think a couple of those might not make it...very curious to see how this plays out.

Online King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #1226 on: July 04, 2022, 12:22:40 PM »
31 Empire of the Clouds
Appeared on 21 of 27 entrees
Top 10 finishes: 2
Highest Ranking: 1 (Shalev Amir)

A pretty unique song in their catalogue.  If the meat of the song was as good as the first 5-6 minutes or the ending, this could have been a top 10 one for me, but it feels like the full band part of the song is just okay, thus I put this at 71.

30 The Legacy
Appeared on 21 of 27 entrees
Top 10 finishes: 5
Highest Ranking: 3 (Ben_Jamin, Deadeye21)

This is sorta similar to the last one in that the meat of the song isn't as great as the long intro, but the difference here is that the meat here is still very good.  It's just that that intro is so damn awesome.  I had this at 11 as a result.  And that acoustic motif being reprised at the end of the song is one of their best moments ever.

29 Ghost of the Navigator
Appeared on 22 of 27 entrees
Top 10 finishes: 4
Highest Ranking: 5 (romdrums)

This was the song that made me want to do the Maiden run though last fall, as I already had a bunch of their songs in my iTunes, and when this one randomly came on when I had hit shuffle, I left on and really enjoyed it.  And off to the races I went!  I had this at 28.
Empire of the Clouds - Easily the best song on Book of Souls. I had this at #11. Just a grand sweeping epic.

The Legacy - I had this at #49. Great album closer, but not the best of the album. Perhaps the intro goes on a bit too long, but still love it. Lots of great sounds and ideas going on in this song.

Ghost of the Navigator - This barely made my list at #70. It's a really good song and in my opinion it should have been the opening track on BNW. The way the intro builds up is fantastic, unfortunately the rest of the song doesn't quite stack up to the best Maiden has to offer.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
My last.fm | My Rate Your Music Page
Quote from: Podaar
King's Photoshop powers are akin to a three year old cutting faces out of photographs with the edge of a dull spoon and pasting them in place with garden shovel full of Gorilla Glue.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Shalev Amir

• Shmoolikipod
« Reply #1227 on: July 04, 2022, 03:23:26 PM »
#1 Empire of the Clouds - yep, this was my number one before the relistening and that didn't change after it. It's a complete story. I love the introduction. I love how each time a verse opens with the electric guitar ("she's the biggest vessel..." "In the gathering gloom..." "Sailors of the sky...") it sounds like it's the first time because the verses end resolved.

At 8:36, it really does feel like the ship is taking off. The instrumental part does give me the picture of it flying, then the heavy part simulating the struggle to keep it in the air. And a lot of it is just simple scale runs.

Eventually it crashes into a glorious ending. The same main melody returns after the "we're down lads" verse, this time with the opposite meaning. The "dreams love on" verse is one of the most powerful moments in a Maiden song, and the outro is a perfect conclusion.

I totally get the arguements against it, that it's bloated, overrated by some for its length, or that the SOS or the "crashing down piano" are too much, but I love every sinew and every inch of it! Hands down some of the best Maiden lyrics too, Bruce was on fire with this one even with the cancer. Glad it got so high, these are some strong songs below it.

#30 The Legacy - hey how fitting, the song Empire ripped off a riff from is right next to it! The intro is pretty cool. I love when the crunchy guitars come in for the first time. The verses are great and so is the "chorus". I like the part with the ripped off riff too, though I'm not keen at all on the singing at the end.

#8 Ghost of the Navigator - that's 6 out of my top 10! I think all of them will get an appearance honestly. The intro gets me pumped up, the verses are strong and aggressive. The first chorus is just classic Maiden and the second chorus is a bit more colourful. Instrumental part is cool too. It's just a very, very fucking strong song without being flashy and that's why I think it could be considered a classic. Also, no way that's 7 minutes!

Offline Dave_Manchester

« Reply #1228 on: July 04, 2022, 04:01:14 PM »
Empire of the Clouds: #61. A tad overlong methinks but still a very impressive achievement. I'm also a big fan of lyrics that come from a geniune place and as such another love letter to Bruce's passion for aviation is very welcome.

The Legacy: didn't rank.

Ghost of the Navigator: #13. s'all about that chorus (in my opinion their very best). And the intro/build-up. This was by some distance my highest ranked song from Brave New World, and with it, I suspect we've seen the last of that album on this list (which means damn you all to hell for not recognising the concise greatness of The Fallen Angel!).

My list so far in descending order:

#74: If Eternity Should Fail
#72: Run to the Hills
#66: The Longest Day
#65: Brighter Than A Thousand Suns
#64: Only The Good Die Young
#63: Still Life
#61: Empire of the Clouds
#59: The Evil That Men Do
#56: These Colours Don't Run
#54: Can I Play With Madness
#53: Remember Tomorrow
#52: Judas Be My Guide
#51: Blood Brothers
#49: The Prisoner
#41: Rainmaker
#40: The Clansman
#37: 2 Minutes To Midnight
#36: Montsegur
#34: The Wicker Man
#29: The Parchment
#22: Heaven Can Wait
#21: Starblind
#20: Coming Home
#18: The Red and the Black
#15: The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner
#13: Ghost of the Navigator
#10: 22 Acacia Avenue
#6: No Prayer for the Dying
#4: When The Wild Wind Blows
#1: Afraid To Shoot Strangers

Not ranked:

Death of the Celts
The Duellists
Out of the Silent Planet
The Reincarnation of Benjamin Breeg
Deja-Vu
Prodigal Son
Wrathchild
Brave New World
The Nomad
Killers
The Thin Line Between Love and Hate
Dream of Mirrors
Isle of Avalon
Lord of Light
The Book of Souls
Murders in the Rue Morgue
The Legacy

Ranked/Unranked split: 30/17

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #1229 on: July 04, 2022, 04:02:32 PM »
I suspect we've seen the last of that album on this list (which means damn you all to hell for not recognising the concise greatness of The Fallen Angel!).

I fear you're right! I had The Fallen Angel at #41.. :(
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1230 on: July 04, 2022, 04:20:14 PM »
Ok.   After yesterday's catastrophic failure, I'm typing this up in a seperate app so I don't lose it. 

Time to get caught up.

52. Dream of Mirrors - Me #69 (niiiiice)

I find it ironic that as much as I complain about the repetitive nature of BNW, the two songs I did include are a couple of the worst offenders.  But honestly, VXI had just left a really bad taste in my mouth and I don't think I gave BNW a fair shake.   In some cases (such as this and the title track) the repetition isn't quite as bad when compared to something like TAATG or DLTTEOAS, and the variation of the melody and Bruce's delievery make a big difference.  I still get it stuck in my head.

51. Isle of Avalon - Me #16

This track deserves to by much higher. TFF was one of the biggest winners when I went back to revisit the reunion albums.  I just can't get enough of this track.  I can see if maybe someone wasn't really grabbed by that opening guitar melody that it might seem to go on a bit.   But I find it goosebump inducing and darn near perfect.  The slow build on this one is one of their best. 

50. Montesgur - Me N/A

Really decent rocker.  I like the chorus.  Just missed my list. 

49. Lord of Light - Me N/A

As much as I love AMOLAD, this track was one of the weaker tracks to me.  Surprised to see it here.

48. The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner - Me #46

No one was more surprised than me at how well SIT has aged.   This is an outstanding track and the production on this entire album is so lush and layered.   I can say without a doubt that of all the metal heros of the early 80s who experimented with synths when the mid-80s hit (Judas Priest, Ozzy, Motley Crue...etc etc) Iron Maiden's experiment was definitely the best of the bunch and seems far less dated than its contemporaries.  In retrospect, the entire album still seems honest to the Iron Maiden sound.   They textured their existing sound without dumbing things down like some of the others did.   But the pacing of this tracks is just excellent and the chorus is better than I remember.

47. Starblind - Me N/A

Not getting the love for this one.   I think Bruce sounds like he's trying desperately not to fall behind the band.   Like the pacing is way too fast for what he's singing and he's always just a little bit behind the eight ball trying to keep up.   I suppose it might add an air of "desperation" to it, but not in a good way to my ears.

46. The Book of Souls - Me N/A

This is just a pure oversight on my part.   It made the mid-50s on both "test lists" and somehow got left off when I was compiling the final.   Great track and I should have had it better represented.

45. Murders in the Rue Morgue - Me #23

One of the first Di'Anno tracks I ever heard.   This one melted my face off the first time I heard it.  One of the most energetic songs in their catalog.  I wish they would dust it off more often.  (would have made a great Blaze track on one of his two tours)

44. Blood Brothers - Me N/A

Sorry.  Just too repetitive.   Don't get the love for this one.

43. The Longest Day - Me #50

Now this is more like it.  I actually wish I had put this one higher, but 43 is a good spot for it.  This feels like an epic that got trimmed up a bit and doesn't overstay it's welcome.   The intro is just so incredibly creepy and Bruce's delievery is so emotional...it's jaw dropping. 

42. The Red and the Black - Me #38

I almost feel like I had this one a bit too high.   I LOVE the bass intro, and the second half of the song deserves all the praise it gets.   But the first couple of verses are just so awkward.   The song doesn't really find its way until the first "whoa ooooohhhh" section.  From then on, it's absolutely fantastic.

41. Run to the Hills - Me N/A

Ok ok ok ok....I'm a heretic.   I'm just so sick of it now.   It's like when you're an AC/DC fan and thinking "OMG if I hear You Shook Me All Night Long ONE MORE FREAKING TIME I'm going to scream!!"   But if I had been thinking about how I felt about it when I first heard it, it would have probably made the top 20...maybe 30.

40. The Clansman - Me #47

I try to give Blaze his due where I can, and I'm not shy about my opinions when I think he does certain songs better than Bruce....but this one where Bruce took a Blaze song and OWNED it.   I really didn't care for the original (or anything on VXI actually), but after I heard Bruce's live version, I grew to love the song.  It was great to see it live on the Legacy tour right before COVID shut everything down.   

39. The Evil That Men Do - Me N/A

This is one of the songs I should have swapped for one of the lower SIT songs.   I really feel bad this didn't make my list.  If I have one criticism of the track, I think the pre-chorus sounds a bit lazy.   Since the chorus is just the song title, you'd think they'd have come up with something a little better for the pre-chorus.

38. 22 Acacia Avenue - Me #24

Ya....the words are a bit problematic these days (15 yr old me loved them), but DAT RIFF at the 1:30ish mark might be one of the coolest riffs I've ever heard in my life.  Takes me back to my air guitar days. 

37. Coming Home - Me #13

Dare I call it a "ballad"?   But as someone mentioned, it's a "love letter" to flying, and Bruce pours all his emotion into it.   Just a great chorus that carries the whole thing.   Such a great hook.  I still have yet to hear the live version, but I fell so in love with TFF that En Vivo is on my short list of live albums to pick up.

36. When the Wild Wind Blows - Me #12

Another TFF epic!  I love it!  In some ways, this isn't terribly different than a lot of other reunion epics, but I think it's the middle section of this one that makes it special.  Especially the bit that kicks in at about the 6:40 mark.    This is absolutely one of the best epics they've ever done.

35. The Parchment - Me #4

And yet they just keep IMPROVING!!! LOL   It's hard to believe that they can put out something so freaking good this late in their career!  Rush is the only other band I've known to put out something with quality that rivals their early classic material 40 years later.   There's a sinister "march" to this song that grabbed me right away.    But there might be a bit of "new car smell" to this ranking.   I still love it.

34. 2 Minutes to Midnight - Me #20

Still one of their greatest singles.  This one has aged so well.   I think it helps that the slowed down pace of the solo section makes it feel like a mini-epic even though it's only just a bit over 6 minutes.  There's enough variety in the song itself to keep it fresh.  And those solos are absolutely GOLD.

33. Brighter Than a Thousand Suns - Me #8

Kindof surprised I wasn't the highest ranking on this one.  Another great delivery by Bruce.  There is just so much "true grit" on this entire album.  I honestly wish they had swapped out FTGGOG for this one the Legacy tour, but I love that track as well.     The "crawling" of the verses and then the slow quiet build to the chorus are particular highlights.

32. The Prisoner - Me #15

Ah yes, the song that introduced me to one of my all time favorite shows!  The intro is so iconic.  The clip, the drums, the "kick it up a notch" when they get to the main riff.   And probably the best chorus of the early days.   I'm honestly shocked this didn't make my top 10.   This is one I rarely get sick of.

31. The Empire of the Clouds - Me #33

Not as good as it could have been, but still very impressive.   I think that might be the most important thing about having Bruce in the band.   Steve might be "the keeper" of the Iron Maiden sound, but Bruce is the one who will make sure that the boundaries are always pushed.   He's not allowing IM to go stagnant, and this is a perfect example of that.   An 18 minute epic?  With a PIANO?   Yup.  And it totally works. 

30. The Legacy - Me #5

Another one that I was really surprised that I wasn't the top ranker.   A perfect closing track to one of their all time greatest albums.   This track in particular makes me wish I would have had an opportunity to see the "holy grail" of all Maiden shows....a full performance of AMOLAD.   I doubt we'll ever see most of these songs ever again, and it's a shame.  This song is a near flawless masterpiece.

29. The Ghost of the Navigator - Me N/A

Shame on me.   No excuses....just shame on me.   This is actually probably my favorite song from BNW, and I should have reworked something to make sure this got in the top 40 somewhere.  I echo nick's sentiment that The Wicker Man was very disappointing, but once the 2nd track kicked in....that's when it really felt like Bruce was back.   Best chorus on the entire album by miles.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1231 on: July 04, 2022, 04:33:27 PM »
I had Ghost of the Navigator at #44.  One of my favorites from the reunion era.  I didn't rank the other two songs.  I know Empire gets a lot of love, but I unfortunately didn't spend a lot of time with the most recent two albums before making my list.

Brave New World ups its stranglehold on the standings.  8 of its 10 songs so far.  Will the other two make it?  Meanwhile, reunion era albums occupy the top four spots.  How long will that last?

1. Brave New World:  8 songs/186 points – Out of the Silent Planet (#70), Brave New World (#60), The Wicker Man (#58), The Nomad (#56), The Thin Line Between Love and Hate (#53), Dream of Mirrors (#52), Blood Brothers (#44), Ghost of the Navigator (#29)

2. A Matter of Life and Death:  6 songs/165 points – The Reincarnation of Benjamin Breeg (#71), These Colours Don’t Run (#65), Lord of Light (#49), The Longest Day (#43), Brighter Than a Thousand Suns (#33), The Legacy (#30)

3. The Final Frontier:  4 songs/133 points – Isle of Avalon (#51), Starblind (#47), Coming Home (#37), When the Wild Wind Blows (#36)

4. The Book of Souls:  4 songs/121 points – If Eternity Should Fail (#64), The Book of Souls (#46), The Red and the Black (#42), Empire of the Clouds (#31)

5. The Number of the Beast:  3 songs/117 points – Run to the Hills (#41), 22 Acacia Avenue (#38), The Prisoner (#32)

6. Killers:  4 songs/80 points – Prodigal Son (#63), Wrathchild (#62), Killers (#54), Murders in the Rue Morgue (#45)

7. Seventh Son of a Seventh Son:  3 songs/57 points – Can I Play with Madness (#73), Only the Good Die Young (#59), The Evil That Men Do (#39)

8. Somewhere in Time:  3 songs/46 points – Déjà Vu (#68), Heaven Can Wait (#66), The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner (#48)

9. Powerslave:  2 song/44 points – The Duellists (#74), 2 Minutes to Midnight (#34)

10. Senjutsu:  2 song/42 points – Death of the Celts (#75), The Parchment (#35)

11. Virtual XI:  1 song/36 points – The Clansman (#40)

12. Dance of Death:  2 songs/30 points – Rainmaker (#72), Montsegur (#50)

13. Fear of the Dark:  2 songs/24 points – Judas Be My Guide (#67), Afraid to Shoot Strangers (#61)

14. Iron Maiden:  1 song/21 points – Remember Tomorrow (#55)

15. Piece of Mind:  1 song/19 points – Still Life (#57)

16. No Prayer for the Dying:  1 song/7 points – No Prayer for the Dying (#69)

17. The X Factor:
« Last Edit: July 05, 2022, 09:42:35 AM by pg1067 »
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1232 on: July 04, 2022, 06:26:26 PM »
Empire - 76 - I relistened to this one after submitting my list and it probably should have made it and up there too.  It's a brilliant, creative piece and stirs up lots of emotions.  Props to the ranking of 31, no issue there.

Legacy - 48 - What a great song.  Janick at his finest yet again.  Great sections, nice structure and some cool shit going on.  That middle riff which has that flattened fifth in the first instance before going back to straight minor is so cool, love it.

Ghost - 58 - Another Janick number, great riff and what a buildup in the intro.  Love it.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1233 on: July 04, 2022, 07:23:31 PM »
I think it’s sad that TXF will only get one song. Such a wonderful album.

And yes, if I was a betting man I would put down a kingly amount that TXF will have one song represented. What I’m hoping is that it will be top 20. But that’s more of a 50/50 chance.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1234 on: July 04, 2022, 07:30:00 PM »

And yes, if I was a betting man I would put down a kingly amount that TXF will have one song represented. What I’m hoping is that it will be top 20. But that’s more of a 50/50 chance.

At this point, we will end up with one song each from the two Blaze albums.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #1235 on: July 04, 2022, 07:33:16 PM »

That's more than they deserve  :biggrin:
aka Puppies_On_Acid
King's Photoshop powers are akin to a three year old cutting faces out of photographs with the edge of a dull spoon and pasting them in place with garden shovel full of Gorilla Glue.

Offline The Realm

« Reply #1236 on: July 04, 2022, 07:41:15 PM »

1. Brave New World:  8 songs/186 points – Out of the Silent Planet (#70), Brave New World (#60), The Wicker Man (#58), The Nomad (#56), The Thin Line Between Love and Hate (#53), Dream of Mirrors (#52), Blood Brothers (#44)

2. A Matter of Life and Death:  6 songs/165 points – The Reincarnation of Benjamin Breeg (#71), These Colours Don’t Run (#65), Lord of Light (#49), The Longest Day (#43), Brighter Than a Thousand Suns (#33), The Legacy (#30)

3. The Final Frontier:  4 songs/133 points – Isle of Avalon (#51), Starblind (#47), Coming Home (#37), When the Wild Wind Blows (#36)

4. The Book of Souls:  4 songs/121 points – If Eternity Should Fail (#64), The Book of Souls (#46), The Red and the Black (#42), Empire of the Clouds (#31)

5. The Number of the Beast:  3 songs/117 points – Run to the Hills (#41), 22 Acacia Avenue (#38), The Prisoner (#32)

6. Killers:  4 songs/80 points – Prodigal Son (#63), Wrathchild (#62), Killers (#54), Murders in the Rue Morgue (#45)

7. Seventh Son of a Seventh Son:  3 songs/57 points – Can I Play with Madness (#73), Only the Good Die Young (#59), The Evil That Men Do (#39)

8. Somewhere in Time:  3 songs/46 points – Déjà Vu (#68), Heaven Can Wait (#66), The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner (#48)

9. Powerslave:  2 song/44 points – The Duellists (#74), 2 Minutes to Midnight (#34)

10. Senjutsu:  2 song/42 points – Death of the Celts (#75), The Parchment (#35)

11. Virtual XI:  1 song/36 points – The Clansman (#40)

12. Dance of Death:  2 songs/30 points – Rainmaker (#72), Montsegur (#50)

13. Fear of the Dark:  2 songs/24 points – Judas Be My Guide (#67), Afraid to Shoot Strangers (#61)

17. The X Factor:

Piece of Mind to storm home?

My 'vague' predictions:

Brave New World - done now? I think so.
AMOLAD - one more to come.
TFF - one more to come.
TBoS - done?
TNotB - more than one to come.
Killers - most likely done? Fingers crossed for one more....
Seventh Son - more than one to come.
SiT - more than one to come.
Powerslave - more than one to come.
Senjutsu - one or more to come? Tough one to read.
VXI- done.
Dance of Death - one to come?
FotD - one to come.
Iron Maiden - more than one to come? Or one...
Piece of Mind - more than one to come.
NPftD - done?
TXF - one to come.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1237 on: July 04, 2022, 08:06:59 PM »

Diabolical.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline The Realm

« Reply #1238 on: July 04, 2022, 08:37:10 PM »

Diabolical.

I think a better word is predictable.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #1239 on: July 04, 2022, 09:28:47 PM »
Okay I am way behind on this. So much went on these past few weeks that I barely had time to really focus on this list and my responses. I will post some now and then the rest soonish...

#64 If Eternity Should Fail - (Did Not Rank)

I like the intro and it was a fantastic way to start an Iron Maiden show with Bruce. This will definitely go up in my rankings the more I listen to it. The Book of Souls is a great album, I just have not found the time to listen to it in it's entirely as much as I would have liked, and this is one song that is Iron Maiden.

#63 Prodigal Son - (Did Not Rank)

I am not really that big of a listener of Iron Maiden, although I do enjoy the band a lot and enjoy seeing them live. I am one that hasn't really listened to the older albums. The song has a nice, chill, vibe to it. It also is very UFO in it's style. There is one song by UFO when I heard it on, I think it was Deep Tracks on Sirius XM, that reminded me of Iron Maiden. It is interesting hearing Iron Maiden being more laid back on the distortion tone and using more of a cleaner tone. It really fits and it is something that would've been more nice to hear more of.

#62 Wratchchild - (Did Not Rank)

I mainly heard this song live. It's a great song live and it's energetic as well. I just prefer the live releases more than the studio version. It's one that is so and so for me, but when they have played it live it was always good because of the energy it brings to the set.

#61 Afraid to Shoot Strangers - (Did Not Rank)

This one just missed my top 75. I found myself enjoying Fear of The Dark as an album quite a lot. I also got to see it live, and it was way better because Bruce put more effort into his vocals. If I were to rank now it would be in top 75 for sure.

#60 Brave New World - (Did Not Rank)

I am laughing at how most of these did not make my ranking. I am just not feeling it as much as when I first bought the album. It's a great song, so it's good to see it here at number 60.

#59 Only the Good Die Young - #55

This one ranked close to mine. I like how it brings back the Seventh Son riff in the instrumental for a quick lick. This is one song I would like to see live one day.

#58 The Wicker Man - #5

I had a feeling I would have the top ranking for this song. This is a special song for me because of the memories associated with it. I first heard the radio edit of the song, and is also the version my uncles band played when they covered this song. I actually like the added words to the chorus on the radio edit. I sung them live when I saw them on The Final Frontier, which was my first Iron Maiden show. I think this is a great song that showcased the band being reunited with Bruce. It's short and is very reminiscent of the older songs, I thought it was an older song when I heard it, I was around 10 and didn't know much about the band at all, only that they were the band with the monster on the covers.  :lol

#57 Still Life - (Did Not Rank)

I don't know, I just could never get into this song. I do enjoy the verses though. It would be a fun one to see live and maybe I will enjoy more that way.

#56 The Nomad - (Did Not Rank)

This one is an alright song. I think it sort of drags on a bit with the chorus.

#55 Remember Tomorrow - (Did Not Rank)

I first heard this one from the Opeth cover. I like the vocal melodies and I think this is one song I enjoy the Paul Di'Anno vocals. It's a nice soothing song as well.

#54 Killers - (Did Not Rank)

I would fault this as not having heard the first two albums much at all. Killers is a fantastic song and is one of the songs that has the Iron Maiden defining sound. I like the harmonic slides and the energy of it.

#53 The Thin Line Between Love and Hate - #8

I love the way the song flows. The ending was a perfect way to end the album and a great ending to the first reunion album from Iron Maiden. This song signifies the return of Bruce and of what is to come from the future albums. I am glad they continued to make these longer songs as I feel they really shine with the long songs. I enjoy how they ride along with the riff and play along with it, sort of opposite of how Dream Theater has riffs and melodies I wish they would repeat and play with longer. Iron Maiden knows how to do that and they have some great long songs due to that.

I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Shalev Amir

• Shmoolikipod
« Reply #1240 on: July 05, 2022, 12:22:15 AM »
I suspect we've seen the last of that album on this list (which means damn you all to hell for not recognising the concise greatness of The Fallen Angel!).

I had it at 25, I was surprised each time just how much I love it when it always feels like itst the "filler" song of the album.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1241 on: July 05, 2022, 05:40:16 AM »
And we move on with three more this morning!  :metal

28 Dance of Death
Appeared on 18 of 27 entrees
Highest Ranking: 3 (Dave_Manchester)

This is another I felt like I could have had higher.  It landed at 47 for me.  This is one where I always listen to the live version from En Vivo over the studio version.

27 The Talisman
Appeared on 20 of 27 entrees
Highest Ranking: 2 (425)

Probably one of the best vocal performances of Bruce in the reunion era, no?  I had this at 27.

26 The Clairvoyant
Appeared on 23 of 27 entrees
Highest Ranking: 3 (Zydar)

This is one that kept skyrocketing up my list the more I heard it, eventually finishing at 22.  Great use of keys in this one, and that chorus is a monster.

Offline Shalev Amir

• Shmoolikipod
« Reply #1242 on: July 05, 2022, 06:37:26 AM »

Diabolical.

I think a better word is predictable.
I was sure we'll have two songs from The X Factor AT LEAST. I had four on my list.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1243 on: July 05, 2022, 06:39:41 AM »
The Clairvoyant :heart

That intro, that chorus. Just a brilliant track from their best album.

And The Talisman is one of their very best reunion songs.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #1244 on: July 05, 2022, 06:41:54 AM »
Dance of Death (#57)
I'm not super fan of the intro, but when the song begins for real, it's excellent.

The Talisman (-)
It seems like it's the most TFF song loved here, but I only like it, although I think the instrumental section is amazing. Maybe it's because I would like the verses sound heavier, with more present/punchier rhythm guitars, and because Bruce's vocals does sound like he's really struggling to hit the higher notes.

The Clairvoyant (#31)
Indeed great use of keyboard and incredible chorus. I love Harris's intro and the drumming in the chorus is one of my favorite Nicko's performances. Great song overall!
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #1245 on: July 05, 2022, 07:14:35 AM »
I did not rank Dance of Death and The Talisman. Especially Dance of Death I find annoying and I don't get the appeal. As far as story-telling goes, this band has multiple songs that I think are better.

Clairvoyant I had at #27. Great, great track. Love the chorus, I think this track is exemplary for how great of an album SSOASS really is.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #1246 on: July 05, 2022, 07:25:29 AM »
We're really getting into some popular songs now aren't we?

#15 - Clairvoyant. GREAT tune. One of Steve's greatest intros, nice tempo to the song, killer chorus.
#25 - Talisman. Could be higher but the competition is tough up here. Cool song structure and Bruce of course slays it. LOVE the En Vivo version.
Not ranked - Dance of Death.

Offline WardySI

« Reply #1247 on: July 05, 2022, 07:43:09 AM »

I had it at 25, I was surprised each time just how much I love it when it always feels like itst the "filler" song of the album.

Not in the running unfortunately but I (would've) had The Fallen Angel at #20.  Marvelous song \m/

Offline nick_z

« Reply #1248 on: July 05, 2022, 07:45:35 AM »
Dance of Death (#19)

Always loved this one, and it's my favorite from the album. Kinda view it as an "updated" Fear of the Dark, with a story. Everyone is on fire here. Bruce's fast vocal lines are a little much sometimes, but this is an incredibly entertaining tune through and through. And the melody that starts around 5:15 (and gets reprised later) is just a fantastic Maiden moment.

The Talisman (#44)

Great song from TFF. It has the gallop, the melodies, the epicness. Yes, Bruce is great, although I do feel he's maybe pushing it a little. It's a long song, but it flies by.

The Clairvoyant (#61)

I think I might have underrated this a bit. Maybe took it for granted? Too many great songs  :) As I'm listening again, there's so much goodness going on. here. Again, everyone on their A-game - which is how I always feel about the Somewhere in Time/Seventh Son era. Oddly, the "There is a time to live and a time to die” part in the chorus reminds me of the chorus in Styx's Blue Collar Man...
« Last Edit: July 05, 2022, 09:07:40 AM by nick_z »

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #1249 on: July 05, 2022, 07:49:37 AM »
Oddly, the "There is a time to live and a time to day" part in the chorus reminds me of the chorus in Styx's Blue Collar Man...
OH GOD, now I can't unhear it....
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline nick_z

« Reply #1250 on: July 05, 2022, 07:58:04 AM »
Oddly, the "There is a time to live and a time to day" part in the chorus reminds me of the chorus in Styx's Blue Collar Man...
OH GOD, now I can't unhear it....

Sorry  :lol

I first heard the Styx's song much later than Maiden...I remember when it came up it sounded somewhat familiar...it's just that one bit  :biggrin:

Offline romdrums

« Reply #1251 on: July 05, 2022, 08:32:01 AM »
Okay, so I'm really behind on this thread, but since I had the highest ranking of Ghost of the Navigator, I figured I'd chime in.  I love the verse riff on this, and the way they voice the guitar parts reminds me a lot of Queensryche.  Plus, Bruce does a lot of things vocally that remind me of Geoff Tate.  When I was putting my list together, this one kept leaping out at me, and got stuck in my head for days.  Also, Nicko really nails this.  All in all, one of my favorites of the reunion era.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1252 on: July 05, 2022, 09:58:49 AM »
I ranked The Talisman at #71 - barely made the cut.  Interesting intro that is unique for Maiden.  When the main part kicks in, the riff is pretty generic.  Nice chorus.  Probably would've been higher if I'd paid more attention to my 51-75 songs.

I didn't rank the other two songs.  Dance is just ok, and I think The Clairvoyant is possibly the most overrated song in Maiden's catalog.  I know it goes over great live, but I've always disliked it.  The intro is just bleh, and the chorus is way too sing-songy.  Someone mentioned a similarity to Styx's Blue Collar Man, which I think is pretty apt, but that's almost an insult to Blue Collar Man.

1. Brave New World:  8 songs/186 points – Out of the Silent Planet (#70), Brave New World (#60), The Wicker Man (#58), The Nomad (#56), The Thin Line Between Love and Hate (#53), Dream of Mirrors (#52), Blood Brothers (#44), Ghost of the Navigator (#29)

2. The Final Frontier:  5 songs/182 points – Isle of Avalon (#51), Starblind (#47), Coming Home (#37), When the Wild Wind Blows (#36), The Talisman (#27)

3. A Matter of Life and Death:  6 songs/165 points – The Reincarnation of Benjamin Breeg (#71), These Colours Don’t Run (#65), Lord of Light (#49), The Longest Day (#43), Brighter Than a Thousand Suns (#33), The Legacy (#30)

6. Seventh Son of a Seventh Son:  4 songs/107 points – Can I Play with Madness (#73), Only the Good Die Young (#59), The Evil That Men Do (#39), The Clairvoyant (#26)

7. Killers:  4 songs/80 points – Prodigal Son (#63), Wrathchild (#62), Killers (#54), Murders in the Rue Morgue (#45)

8. Dance of Death:  3 songs/78 points – Rainmaker (#72), Montsegur (#50), Dance of Death (#28)

9. Somewhere in Time:  3 songs/46 points – Déjà Vu (#68), Heaven Can Wait (#66), The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner (#48)

10. Powerslave:  2 song/44 points – The Duellists (#74), 2 Minutes to Midnight (#34)

11. Senjutsu:  2 song/42 points – Death of the Celts (#75), The Parchment (#35)

12. Virtual XI:  1 song/36 points – The Clansman (#40)

17. The X Factor:
« Last Edit: July 05, 2022, 03:53:41 PM by pg1067 »
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1253 on: July 05, 2022, 10:06:27 AM »

Yes! It's absolutely brilliant! Number 36 for me. Love the different feel of each solo.

24 2 Minutes to Midnight - a veritable, bona fide classic.

130 Brighter than a Thousand Suns - Bruce sounds like he's straining so much on this one. And I find the song itself uninspiring. Another sludgefest on a sludgefest of an album.

37 The Prisoner - perhaps I ranked this a little higher than I should have. But it's still very good.

128 Empire of the Clouds - look, I know must of us are prog fans on this forum but that doesn't mean this is a good song. Yes, yes, the story is nice but musically there's only enough here for five minutes.

22 The Legacy - I think I was seduced by the intro when I ranked this one. I listened to it again yesterday on the way to collect my bike and... wondered why I'd ranked it so highly. Production lets it down. I could take 60 spots of this and feel okay about it.

26 Ghost of the Navigator - oh, now we're talking! Those opening bars... *swoon* So incredibly emotive. Brilliant.

8 Dance of Death - oh come on, what's not to like about a song clearly based on Spinal Tap's Stonehenge? Love the silly story in this one and wonderful melodies. Maiden at their daftest best.

66 The Talisman - this is one of those songs where every time it comes up, I have to listen to it or look up the lyrics to remember how it goes. A Matter of Life and Death is full of those songs for me. Now that I've just reminded myself of the song - again! - I know that I like it. But only enough for number 66.

44 The Clairvoyant - "I feel reboooooooooorn agaaaaaiiin!" Love the bass intro, obviously.

33/17 ranked/unranked
« Last Edit: July 05, 2022, 10:11:48 AM by nobloodyname »
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #1254 on: July 05, 2022, 10:34:02 AM »
Dance of Death was one of a couple songs whose place I was curious to see revealed. I had it at 6—absolutely love everything about it—making it the second highest ranking song from the reunion era on my list.

The Talisman did not rank for me, but as I relisten to it again right now, I feel some regret. It's a good performance.

The Clairvoyant I had at 17. One of the best songs on SSoaSS, and that's saying something. Also, unless I missed one before, is 23/27 the best song so far in terms of appearances?
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1255 on: July 05, 2022, 12:16:38 PM »
My hopes of a late inning rally by the debut are rapidly diminishing.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #1256 on: July 05, 2022, 12:24:40 PM »
I bad the band’s title track will still show up.. right?
Squ

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1257 on: July 05, 2022, 12:27:58 PM »
28 Dance of Death

27 The Talisman

26 The Clairvoyant

I had Dance Of Death at #16. Great Reunion Era track. Bruce gets so dramatic during the live presentations. I can do without the rooster mask, but other than that, he's great, especially with the red lights underneath him. Another track with a great three part harmony.

I had The Talisman at #7. This is my favorite Reunion Era track. A bit disappointed in it's placement, but, oh well. As Kev said, Bruce is fantastic on this. He carries us through the entire thing.

I had The Clairvoyant as NR. I didn't rank it. Love the bass intro, but I've always thought this track was way overrated..by the band.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1258 on: July 05, 2022, 04:17:11 PM »
My hopes of a late inning rally by the debut are rapidly diminishing.

I think we see at least 3 more songs from the debut...maybe 4.  I think Kev said something about a heavy hitter being shut out of the countdown, and I think the debut might be the source of that song.

I think Killers is done, which is disappointing.

At this point, I think Number only gets two more songs, but they'll both be top 10-15.

Piece probably has 4 more to go.

Powerslave gets 3 more.

SIT is currently perplexing me.  The consensus was that it would be the 100% represented album, but there are a couple unrevealed songs that I'll be really surprised to see in the top 25.

Seventh Son has four unrevealed songs, and I'll be really surprised to see one of them ranked higher than one that's already been revealed.  However, I'm now thinking it's got a better chance than SIT of having all songs represented.

No Prayer may be done.

Fear of the Dark has one more to go...maybe two?

That only leaves room for 4-5 more reunion era or Bailey songs.

Offline The Realm

« Reply #1259 on: July 05, 2022, 04:26:51 PM »

28 Dance of Death

27 The Talisman

26 The Clairvoyant

Dance of Death - my rank 35. As I mentioned once in the other Maiden thread, this song really came to life for me when I saw it performed live. It was the best song of the gig and since then I have loved it. Second best song on the album with the best song still to be revealed in the countdown...

The Talisman - 29 for me, nearly nailed it...this is a great epic piece of storytelling.

The Clairvoyant - 66 for me and like Nick said above I probably underrated this one a bit and it got lost in the shuffle of so many great songs. Is 23 lists the best representation we have seen so far?