Author Topic: Official top 75 Iron Maiden songs thread!! (Top 2 revealed on 07/15!!)  (Read 55245 times)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Dream Team

Re: Official top 75 Iron Maiden songs thread!! (Countdown is now going!)
« Reply #1191 on: July 03, 2022, 04:45:20 PM »
A Beatles top 75 would kill wouldn’t it?

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1192 on: July 03, 2022, 04:45:55 PM »

No.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1193 on: July 03, 2022, 04:47:04 PM »
I got it.........a Blaze Bayley top 75. We can even have Iron Maiden Blaze songs since they clearly weren't included in this current countdown.  ;D

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #1194 on: July 03, 2022, 04:53:25 PM »
I got it.........a Blaze Bayley top 75. We can even have Iron Maiden Blaze songs since they clearly weren't included in this current countdown.  ;D
:splodetard:
aka Puppies_On_Acid
My last.fm | My Rate Your Music Page
Quote from: Podaar
King's Photoshop powers are akin to a three year old cutting faces out of photographs with the edge of a dull spoon and pasting them in place with garden shovel full of Gorilla Glue.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1195 on: July 03, 2022, 05:13:00 PM »

That'd be fun.  I'd be up for Judas Priest or Fates Warning too.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Dave_Manchester

« Reply #1196 on: July 03, 2022, 05:28:33 PM »
Of the bands mentioned I could easily do Metallica and The Beatles (good luck to whoever compiles the song list for those guys!). For the others I'd need time to revisit the catalogues. But these ranking threads are excellent opportunities to revisit - or even discover for the first time - a band's discography, so honestly whoever comes next I'll try and join in, circumstances permitting.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1197 on: July 03, 2022, 05:38:42 PM »

No.

I'd be sitting that one out for sure.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1198 on: July 03, 2022, 06:07:41 PM »
Metallica is a great option that should heaps of participants.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1199 on: July 03, 2022, 06:14:06 PM »
I wouldn't do the Beatles simply because they have 8,000 songs and updating the spreadsheet would take forever every time a new list was submitted.

I like Sabbath, Ozzy and Metallica, but I can't see myself getting too excited to one for any of them any time soon, and I won't do a countdown if I am going to half ass it, and I need to be a huge fan of a band (Rush, DT, VH) or still in the honeymoon discovery phase (Maiden) to want to dedicate the time it takes to do it.

Opeth is a good possibility, but as they are very much an autumn band for me, I'd be more likely to them in October/November.

I love Priest, but not sure I'd want to do them right after doing Maiden considering the similarity of the bands stylistically.  Doing something a little different is preferable.

I could be talked into a U2 one at some point, but not right now.

Queensryche could be a good one. With them, I'd probably just put the songs from the debut through Promised Land on the spreadsheet and then if anyone actually puts anything from an album after 1994, I could add it on the fly, meaning the final list would not have everything, as I would not waste my time doing a spreadsheet on them with all of those songs from their many shitty albums on there. :lol

Porcupine Tree is still the most likely one to be next.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1200 on: July 03, 2022, 06:16:10 PM »
Totally cool, Kev. I think PT would be a great choice around here.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1201 on: July 03, 2022, 06:22:49 PM »
I'd get the few PT cd's I have out for sure and explore the rest of their stuff too if it were a definite option for a countdown.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1202 on: July 03, 2022, 06:23:49 PM »
I also think these are more fun when a band or artist is prolific and has multiple eras that get a lot of love.

As good as Sabbath is, you know the first six albums would likely dominate a top 50 or whatever. Same with Queensryche and their run through PL. 

With VH, you had the idea of there being some fans who prefer Roth and others who prefer Sammy. 

Rush's golden era for many was obviously 1976-1981, but the synth era has gotten a lot of love as well, and some of the later albums got mad love from the fan base. 

This Maiden one wouldn't be as fun without the reunion era getting a lot of songs in there.  It's always great to see a countdown like this where the favorites are spread out over many albums and years. 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1203 on: July 03, 2022, 06:29:18 PM »

As good as Sabbath is, you know the first six albums would likely dominate a top 50 or whatever.

I would think at least 12 of the 50 would be from the Dio Era. You might get 1 Tony Martin song, and definitely at least 1 Ian Gillan song.

Plus, I'd have 4 tracks from Never Say Die.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1204 on: July 03, 2022, 06:31:01 PM »
I'd have more Martin era songs than Ozzy songs in my top 50.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1205 on: July 03, 2022, 06:32:46 PM »

As good as Sabbath is, you know the first six albums would likely dominate a top 50 or whatever.

I would think at least 12 of the 50 would be from the Dio Era. You might get 1 Tony Martin song, and definitely at least 1 Ian Gillan song.

Plus, I'd have 4 tracks from Never Say Die.

I hear ya, but this goes back to me needing to be invested.  Sabbath has 19 studio albums, and I only give a crap about seven of them (eight if you count me liking one song on Mob Rules). And I have zero interest in revisiting all of that stuff in the hopes that some of it will grow on me. I tried it all before several times, not doing it again. 

Online DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1206 on: July 03, 2022, 06:38:52 PM »
I’ve been copying/pasting the daily updates daily, then ‘finding’ how they compare to someone from the Boston area who shared his list with me👍 This newbie is almost caught up hearing those presented so far.

So I thought I’d chime in and say, per wiki, that The Beatles only released one more original song than Maiden has so far (plus 25 covers).

Really enjoying all the comments. Good reading.
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1207 on: July 03, 2022, 07:10:16 PM »
AAAARRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just spent the last hour writing my catch up post, and then I bumped something and LOST THE ENTIRE POST!!!     I'm so seriously ticked off right now I just have to walk away.   I'll try again in the morning. 
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #1208 on: July 03, 2022, 07:11:01 PM »
I'd get the few PT cd's I have out for sure and explore the rest of their stuff too if it were a definite option for a countdown.
I just compiled a list of all Porcupine Tree songs and I came up with 194 songs, assuming I didn't miss any (I also didn't include any covers). Those are the ones in my library and I'm fairly certain I've collected everything from them. I'll collaborate with Kev to see what all he wants to include.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
King's Photoshop powers are akin to a three year old cutting faces out of photographs with the edge of a dull spoon and pasting them in place with garden shovel full of Gorilla Glue.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #1209 on: July 03, 2022, 07:15:05 PM »
I wouldn't do the Beatles simply because they have 8,000 songs and updating the spreadsheet would take forever every time a new list was submitted.

I like Sabbath, Ozzy and Metallica, but I can't see myself getting too excited to one for any of them any time soon, and I won't do a countdown if I am going to half ass it, and I need to be a huge fan of a band (Rush, DT, VH) or still in the honeymoon discovery phase (Maiden) to want to dedicate the time it takes to do it.

Opeth is a good possibility, but as they are very much an autumn band for me
, I'd be more likely to them in October/November.

I love Priest, but not sure I'd want to do them right after doing Maiden considering the similarity of the bands stylistically.  Doing something a little different is preferable.

I could be talked into a U2 one at some point, but not right now.

Queensryche could be a good one. With them, I'd probably just put the songs from the debut through Promised Land on the spreadsheet and then if anyone actually puts anything from an album after 1994, I could add it on the fly, meaning the final list would not have everything, as I would not waste my time doing a spreadsheet on them with all of those songs from their many shitty albums on there. :lol

Porcupine Tree is still the most likely one to be next.

Opeth is THEE Autumn band, FUCK YEAH MAN!!!! MORNINGRISE is my personal fave! But Orchid, My Arms Your Hearse are way up there also with Blackwater Park and Still Life!!!  :metal :metal :metal

Offline Glasser

« Reply #1210 on: July 03, 2022, 07:21:13 PM »

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1211 on: July 03, 2022, 07:21:22 PM »
I just compiled a list of all Porcupine Tree songs and I came up with 194 songs, assuming I didn't miss any (I also didn't include any covers). Those are the ones in my library and I'm fairly certain I've collected everything from them. I'll collaborate with Kev to see what all he wants to include.

Cool. The new album will not be included obviously, and I almost think leaving out some of the short transitional tracks will clean it up a little (Stupid Dream, Siren, Pagan, etc.), but we can discuss that when the time comes...

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #1212 on: July 03, 2022, 07:24:33 PM »

Cool. The new album will not be included obviously, and I almost think leaving out some of the short transitional tracks will clean it up a little (Stupid Dream, Siren, Pagan, etc.), but we can discuss that when the time comes...
:tup
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1213 on: July 03, 2022, 08:16:02 PM »

I make no apologies.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1214 on: July 04, 2022, 05:48:28 AM »
Today's songs are all from the reunion era!!

31 Empire of the Clouds
Appeared on 21 of 27 entrees
Top 10 finishes: 2
Highest Ranking: 1 (Shalev Amir)

A pretty unique song in their catalogue.  If the meat of the song was as good as the first 5-6 minutes or the ending, this could have been a top 10 one for me, but it feels like the full band part of the song is just okay, thus I put this at 71.

30 The Legacy
Top 10 finishes: 5
Highest Ranking: 3 (Ben_Jamin, Deadeye21)

This is sorta similar to the last one in that the meat of the song isn't as great as the long intro, but the difference here is that the meat here is still very good.  It's just that that intro is so damn awesome.  I had this at 11 as a result.  And that acoustic motif being reprised at the end of the song is one of their best moments ever.

29 Ghost of the Navigator
Appeared on 22 of 27 entrees
Top 10 finishes: 4
Highest Ranking: 5 (romdrums)

This was the song that made me want to do the Maiden run though last fall, as I already had a bunch of their songs in my iTunes, and when this one randomly came on when I had hit shuffle, I left on and really enjoyed it.  And off to the races I went!  I had this at 28. 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1215 on: July 04, 2022, 06:12:06 AM »
31 Empire of the Clouds
Top 10 finishes: 2
Highest Ranking: 1 (Shalev Amir)

30 The Legacy
Top 10 finishes: 5
Highest Ranking: 3 (Ben_Jamin, Deadeye21)

29 Ghost of the Navigator
Appeared on 22 of 27 entrees
Top 10 finishes: 4
Highest Ranking: 5 (romdrums)

I had Empire Of The Clouds at #53. I agree Kev. This is one song that could definitely use some trimming in the middle. It's kind of the opposite of The Red And The Black. But man, what a great song by Bruce. His narrative is haunting. Great performance.

I had The Legacy at #79. The Legacy just missed the final 75. It's a great song that I definitely really like.

I had Ghost Of The Navigator as NR. I like the song a lot but I don't find if nearly as strong as the rest of the Reunion Era. I do love the Rock In Rio version.

70 Afraid to Shoot Strangers
68 The Nomad
62 Judas Be My Guide
58 Montesegur
57 Still Life
56 Blood Brothers
54 Brighter Than A Thousand Suns
53 Empire Of The Clouds
50 The Evil That Men Do
48 Heaven Can Wait
43 Brave New World
42 The Thin Line Between Love And Hate
38 Run To The Hills
32 2 Minutes To Midnight
29 The Duellists
24 When The Wild Wind Blows
23 The Red And The Black
21 Murders In The Rue Morgue
20 The Prisoner
19 The Clansman
18 Remember Tomorrow
17 No Prayer for the Dying
15 Lord Of Light
13 The Book Of Souls
11 Coming Home
8 The Parchment
6 22 Acacia Avenue

-------------------

Not Ranked

77 Starblind
79 The Legacy
82 The Longest Day
83 Isle Of Avalon
87 Deja Vu
90 Rainmaker
92 If Eternity Should Fail
94 Only the Good Die Young
97 Dream Of Mirrors
101 The Wicker Man
105 Killers
106 Death of the Celts

NR These Colours Don't Run
NR Prodigal Son
NR Wratchchild
NR Can I Play with Madness
NR The Reincarnation of Benjamin Breeg
NR Out of the Silent Planet
NR The Loneliness Of The Long Distance Runner

Offline The Realm

« Reply #1216 on: July 04, 2022, 06:18:24 AM »
Wow! Well I just picked myself up off the floor after seeing those 3 songs. At this stage of the countdown I was convinced Empire of the Clouds wouldn't make it and was pretty doubtful The Legacy would make it either. As for Ghost of the Navigator - well who knew it was so popular.

Empire of the Clouds - my rank 75. Yes I just got this song onto my list at the end as I felt it deserved to be there. Like Kev said, there are some magical and great moments in this song but the sum of the whole song, while still good isn't great. I do like it though but I am very surprised to see it get so much love in the countdown.

The Legacy - number 58 for me. This a great song and I have no issue with its overall ranking but I really didn't see this song ranking so high. I thought we may have had 2 songs left from AMOLAD before this reveal and I was right so still one more big gun to come.

Ghost of the Navigator - unranked by me. Sure it is a really good song but is it this good? I'm pretty shocked to see this song so high and also overall the amount of love Brave New World as an album has got in the countdown.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2022, 07:44:06 AM by The Realm »

Offline Mladen

« Reply #1217 on: July 04, 2022, 07:29:02 AM »
I love all three, but Empire is just out of this world. Top five Maiden song for me.

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #1218 on: July 04, 2022, 07:38:19 AM »
Empire of the Clouds (#12)
I think it's a masterpiece, 18 minutes that pass like 5. The main melody ideed repeats a lot, but it deserves since it's so good and I never get tired of it.

The Legacy (#28)
I love the heavier parts as much as the great intro. It does sound a lot like Maiden doing 70's prog.

Ghost of the Navigator (#48)
Great song. Sure it would benefit a lot with a heavier production, but still great!
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline devieira73

« Reply #1219 on: July 04, 2022, 07:43:15 AM »
A bit out of place, but anyone here caught the Maiden reference on Stranger Things last episode? Eddie holding the Piece of Mind cassette and saying "This is good music!!". Really cool, since they played Metallica in the same episode. :metal :metal

Offline Mladen

« Reply #1220 on: July 04, 2022, 07:46:15 AM »
I genuinely laughed at that scene.  :lol

Offline The Realm

« Reply #1221 on: July 04, 2022, 07:46:46 AM »
A bit out of place, but anyone here caught the Maiden reference on Stranger Things last episode? Eddie holding the Piece of Mind cassette and saying "This is good music!!". Really cool, since they played Metallica in the same episode. :metal :metal

Yes I did see that. I was actually hoping they were then going to play a song from the album and was wondering which song it would be but it didn’t happen. We got Master of Puppets instead.

Offline devieira73

« Reply #1222 on: July 04, 2022, 07:53:28 AM »
I genuinely laughed at that scene.  :lol
Me too! Although they played only Master, I thought it was a nice way to pay homage for both bands.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #1223 on: July 04, 2022, 08:15:29 AM »
Yup I had all 3 of these.

24th - Empire, 28th - Ghost, 42nd - Legacy. Empire of course needs that middle section trimmed, a band like DT could have done so much more with that. Great beginning and ending. GOTN I’ve loved from the beginning, and Legacy has grown on me quite a bit but like a lot of Janick songs I don’t love it was much as others do. Still, top 50 is high praise.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #1224 on: July 04, 2022, 09:13:14 AM »
Oh boy! What an update this is :)

I had Empire of the Clouds at 14. What a wonderful and epic journey. Great Iron Maiden story-telling in a good musical shell. Sure, it could use some trimming I guess. On the other hand, this song stands out in Maiden's discography because of the length. I really like this one. I wonder why 6 people didn't rank it? Surely there must be something in its runtime that you'll enjoy?

The Legacy is another great tune from AMOLAD (and we're still missing one that I would have expected by now..) I had this one at #40. Took a while to get into this one, I must admit, but I do really like it now.

With the onslaught of Brave New World tunes I didn't expect Ghost of the Navigator to still show up, but I'm glad that it does! I had this at exactly #29 as well, so I'm content with its placement!

---

My list in descending order (cursive are songs I ranked highest out of everyone):

#74 22 Acacia Avenue
#73 The Book of Souls
#71 Only the Good Die Young
#67 Killers
#66 The Reincarnation of Benjamin Breeg
#63 Brave New World
#61 No Prayer for the Dying
#59 Wrathchild
#57 Death of the Celts
#55 If Eternity Should Fail
#51 Murders in the Rue Morgue
#49 The Evil That Men Do
#47 Run to the Hills
#46 These Colours Don't Run
#44 The Parchment
#42 The Nomad
#40 The Legacy
#31 Rainmaker
#29 Ghost of the Navigator
#28 Heaven Can Wait
#25 The Clansman
#22 Can I Play With Madness
#20 The Longest Day
#17 Out of the Silent Planet
#14 Empire of the Clouds
#12 Montségur
#11 Coming Home
#9 2 Minutes to Midnight
#8 The Red and the Black
#7 The Wicker Man

Unranked on my list:

The Duellists
Deja Vu
Judas be my Guide
Prodigal Son
Afraid to Shoot Strangers
Still Life
Remember Tomorrow
The Thin Line Between Love and Hate
Dream of Mirrors
Isle of Avalon
Lord of Light
The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner
Starblind
Blood Brothers
When the Wild Wind Blows
Brighter Than a Thousand Suns
The Prisoner

Ranked/Unranked split: 30/17
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey