Author Topic: Official top 75 Iron Maiden songs thread!! (Top 2 revealed on 07/15!!)  (Read 55656 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Similar to the DT, Rush and Van Halen threads, we will now to a top songs countdown for Iron Maiden, and we will do a top 75.

I will count down the top 75 songs songs in order, and they will be taken from lists of anyone who wants to send me theirs via PM. Do not post them on the forum here. Send them to me via PM.  I will take all of the lists and come up with a top 75 based off all lists cumulatively and count the songs down from 75 to 1.

The rules:
-Songs must be listed from 75 to 1 in order (in reverse order), with no ties.  No having three songs at number 1 or anything like that. 75 songs, listed from 75 to 1. DO NOT list your songs with the points total. List them in your order (I will figure out the points on my end).  Any list submitted with the songs not numbered will be ignored.
-Anyone wanting to submit a list must do so by the end of day, Monday, June 20th.  I will then begin the countdown the following week. This should give anyone and everyone time to listen to the band's songs.
-The list will be tallied numerically in a simple way. On each list, whatever song is at number 1 gets 75 points, number 2 gets 74 points, number 3 gets 73 points, etc.
-Like last time, no more Mr. Nice Guy on my part.  PROOFREAD YOUR LISTS BEFORE SENDING THEM.  Any list with the same song mentioned twice will be not be counted.

Feel free to post in this thread as well that you have PM'd me, if for no other reason than to bump this back up for others who may want to participate who may not have seen the thread yet.

This ranking engine link below works great. You can input all of the songs, and then you pick your favorite of every 1 on 1 matchup and then it spits out your list.

https://rankingengine.pubmeeple.com/

Top 75:

75 Death of the Celts
74 The Duellists
73 Can I Play with Madness
72 Rainmaker
71 The Reincarnation of Benjamin Breeg
70 Out of the Silent Planet
69 No Prayer for the Dying
68 Deja Vu
67 Judas Be My Guide
66 Heaven Can Wait
65 These Colours Don't Run
64 If Eternity Should Fail
63 Prodigal Son
62 Wratchchild
61 Afraid to Shoot Strangers
60 Brave New World
59 Only the Good Die Young
58 The Wicker Man
57 Still Life
56 The Nomad
55 Remember Tomorrow
54 Killers
53 The Thin Line Between Love and Hate
52 Dream of Mirrors
51 Isle of Avalon
50 Montsegur
49 Lord of Light
48 The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner
47 Starblind
46 The Book of Souls
45 Murders in the Rue Morgue
44 Blood Brothers
43 The Longest Day
42 The Red and the Black
41 Run to the Hills
40 The Clansmen
39 The Evil That Men Do
38 22 Acacia Avenue
37 Coming Home
36 When the Wild Wind Blows
35 The Parchment
34 2 Minutes to Midnight
33 Brighter Than a Thousand Sons
32 The Prisoner
31 Empire of the Clouds
30 The Legacy
29 Ghost of the Navigator
28 Dance of Death
27 The Talisman
26 The Clairvoyant
25 Hell On Earth
24 Fear of the Dark
23 For the Greater Good of God
22 Stranger in a Strange Land
21 Alexander the Great
20 To Tame a Land
19 The Trooper
18 Children of the Damned
17 Sea of Madness
16 Sign of the Cross
15 Flight of Icarus
14 The Number of the Beast
13 Wasted Years
12 Phantom of the Opera
11 Revelations
10 Infinite Dreams
09 Moonchild
08 Paschendale
07 Caught Somewhere in Time
06 Where Eagles Dare
05 Powerslave
04 Aces High
03 Seventh Son of a Seventh Son
02 Rime of the Ancient Mariner
01 Hallowed Be Thy Name
« Last Edit: July 15, 2022, 05:09:31 AM by KevShmev »

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Gonna be a lot if eyerolls and OMGs at the songs that don’t get ranked. Looking at my 76-100, I’m already appalled at myself.  :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Yeah, this is going to be tough.  Can see a lot of diversity between lists. 

Gonna be a lot if eyerolls and OMGs at the songs that don’t get ranked. Looking at my 76-100, I’m already appalled at myself.  :lol

Shows how amazing they are.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Deadeye21

• 30 years say we’re in this together
This will be harder than VH for sure, but I’m up to the challenge. My Leppard write ups will be done by the start of next week, then I shall start listening to the Maiden discography all over again (man, that’ll be a bummer)
Let's go with a P for Deadeye has premature alphabetejaculation.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
This will be harder than VH for sure, but I’m up to the challenge. My Leppard write ups will be done by the start of next week, then I shall start listening to the Maiden discography all over again (man, that’ll be a bummer)

I'm not doing any listening session prior, don't need to, I'll just rank them.  I'll probably go back through some songs and albums to split hairs if need be.

Offline Deadeye21

• 30 years say we’re in this together

I'm not doing any listening session prior, don't need to, I'll just rank them.  I'll probably go back through some songs and albums to split hairs if need be.

I certainly don’t need to. But I like to anyway. This is just a good excuse to do so.
Let's go with a P for Deadeye has premature alphabetejaculation.

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
This is going to be tough....Looking forward to it.  :metal
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

• DTF.org Member
Also sent a PM with the song list.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.

Offline The Realm

Yes, really looking forward to this one. Yes it will be tough. Now are there 75 songs in total on the first 7 albums? Otherwise it will be really tough.... haha (only joking).

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
HERE. WE. GO.

:metal
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Also sent a PM with the song list.

Thanks again!

First post in the thread has the song list you sent me copied and pasted.  :tup :tup

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
So....   "Burning Ambition" is missing (it's the b-side to the first single, Running Free) as is "Invasion", one of the songs from their first EP, "The Soundhouse Tapes" and a b-side to their third single.

I would suggest that "Women In Uniform" should be on there, since while it wasn't written by the band (it's a Skyhooks cover) it was released as a single (the third single I mentioned above), and they performed it on Top Of The Pops.  It was a mistake that Harris has admitted, but it was a conscious effort by the band to release a non-album single to promote a British tour they were on.

I get it, they don't belong and I understand why, but I'm bummed that the Reach Out/Juanita/That Girl b-sides aren't there either; they are technically covers, but it's a fine line, since some are from the side project by Adrian and Nicko ("The Entire Population of Hackney").

As for the rest of the covers (again, clearly out and I accept that), "All In Your Mind" (a Sway cover) would have absolutely made my top 75, maybe even top 25.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2022, 10:29:10 AM by Stadler »

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
So....   "Burning Ambition" is missing (it's the b-side to the first single, Running Free) as is "Invasion", one of the songs from their first EP, "The Soundhouse Tapes" and a b-side to their third single.

I would suggest that "Women In Uniform" should be on there, since while it wasn't written by the band (it's a Skyhooks cover) it was released as a single (the third single I mentioned above), and they performed it on Top Of The Pops.  It was a mistake that Harris has admitted, but it was a conscious effort by the band to release a non-album single to promote a British tour they were on.

I get it, but I'm bummed that the Reach Out/Juanita/That Girl b-sides aren't there either; they are technically covers, but it's a fine line, since some are from the side project by Adrian and Nicko ("The Entire Population of Hackney").

As for the rest, "All In Your Mind" (a Sway cover) would have absolutely made my top 75, maybe even top 25.

I definitely think Burning Ambition and Invasion should be in and quite possibly Women in Uniform.
Paul
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline romdrums

I'm in on this. 
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline Dream Team

Hey guys, let's agree ahead of time not to derail this thread with constant discussion of friggin Blaze Bayley. Kev had a great thread going awhile back while he was doing his Maiden discography binge and it kept getting sidetracked  :\. 90% of Maiden fans don't care about Bayley; you're going to have to get over it.

Had my list pretty much ready for awhile, just gotta tweak it maybe after another once-over. Should be fun  . . . and interesting if HOF participates.

Offline 425

I mean, you're the one bringing him up. But if you think I and others are not going to talk about him when songs he sang on show up in the ranking, I think you're setting yourself up for disappointment.

Also, I could very easily counter with this: Some Maiden fans like Blaze Bayley and want to talk about him; you're going to have to get over it.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline Dream Team

I mean, you're the one bringing him up. But if you think I and others are not going to talk about him when songs he sang on show up in the ranking, I think you're setting yourself up for disappointment.

Also, I could very easily counter with this: Some Maiden fans like Blaze Bayley and want to talk about him; you're going to have to get over it.

Awesome parry!  ::). I said CONSTANT discussion of friggin Bayley, if you noticed. In other words, it doesn't have to go on for 5 pages like when it kept polluting Kev's thread.

Online HOF

Hey guys, let's agree ahead of time not to derail this thread with constant discussion of friggin Blaze Bayley. Kev had a great thread going awhile back while he was doing his Maiden discography binge and it kept getting sidetracked  :\. 90% of Maiden fans don't care about Bayley; you're going to have to get over it.

Had my list pretty much ready for awhile, just gotta tweak it maybe after another once-over. Should be fun  . . . and interesting if HOF participates.

I have very little knowledge of or interest in Maiden, so I couldn't even formulate a top 10. Will keep an eye on the thread though probably.

Online faizoff

Geez this is going to take hours to rate. But it's fun! never thought of comparing tracks vs tracks.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline 425

Awesome parry!  ::). I said CONSTANT discussion of friggin Bayley, if you noticed. In other words, it doesn't have to go on for 5 pages like when it kept polluting Kev's thread.

I mean, again, other people will sometimes talk about things that do not personally interest you. I don't really appreciate the presumption that you're going to tell us what we can and can't talk about, and that if we don't listen to you then we're "polluting" the thread.

Also, it's not like Kev had a separate thread for his Iron Maiden discography. He was talking about Iron Maiden in the Iron Maiden thread. People talking about Blaze's work with Iron Maiden were also talking about Iron Maiden in the Iron Maiden thread. That's not derailing. That's precisely on topic.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni

Indeed. Whether people like it or not, '"friggin" Blaze Bayley is part of Maiden's history.
Paul
Leicestershire, UK

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
Geez this is going to take hours to rate. But it's fun! never thought of comparing tracks vs tracks.

Interesting... my approach for this is to separte the songs in groups of (losely): top 10 - 15; top 16 - 25; top 26 - 50 and top 51 - 75. In Maiden's case, since I've heard them all my life, I can clearly identify, beetween my fave songs, the groups of my "most faves" and my "less faves". So, I think to compare the songs within each group is faster and easier to do.
And sorry if what I tried to say made zero sense in english!! :D
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline jammindude

I can tell you right now that I am going to have several Blaze songs on my list, and I’m positive that one will be in the top 3…so ya, the discussion will happen.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Online faizoff

Interesting... my approach for this is to separte the songs in groups of (losely): top 10 - 15; top 16 - 25; top 26 - 50 and top 51 - 75. In Maiden's case, since I've heard them all my life, I can clearly identify, beetween my fave songs, the groups of my "most faves" and my "less faves". So, I think to compare the songs within each group is faster and easier to do.

That does make sense, I just pasted all the tracks in the list and started, there are over 700 comparisons to go through! Now I'm so far in I don't want to redo.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Online nick_z

Exciting stuff! I'll start working on my ranking in a little while...I see we have some time anyway  :)

Online DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni

I did my DT and Rush on spreadsheets by putting '0' in a column in front of what I thought were top ten, '10' for the next group, '20' for the twenties, and so on.  Once I got to 50, that's what all the rest were labelled.  Didn't mean a song couldn't move twenty places at the end.

So, yeah, it made sense to me.   :tup
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

I get it, they don't belong and I understand why, but I'm bummed that the Reach Out/Juanita/That Girl b-sides aren't there either; they are technically covers, but it's a fine line, since some are from the side project by Adrian and Nicko ("The Entire Population of Hackney").

So, yes, the original DiAnno tracks should be included.

But Reach Out is no more a cover as Bring Your Daughter. BYD was professionally recorded by Bruce and RELEASED. Jaunita and That Girl ARE covers though.

Reach Out is on my list..
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
If any original are missing from the list Puppies... sent me, feel free to PM and tell me (I cannot keep track with all of the posts), but I will say that covers will not be included unless they were part of an actual studio album, similar to how the only covers that could be ranked in the VH countdown were the ones on studio albums.

I will give it to tomorrow night and then the list is locked in as is, as I don't want to turn this into a big thing over what to include and what not to include.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
If any original are missing from the list Puppies... sent me, feel free to PM and tell me (I cannot keep track with all of the posts), but I will say that covers will not be included unless they were part of an actual studio album, similar to how the only covers that could be ranked in the VH countdown were the ones on studio albums.

I will give it to tomorrow night and then the list is locked in as is, as I don't want to turn this into a big thing over what to include and what not to include.

Cool!

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

So, yes, the original DiAnno tracks should be included.

But Reach Out is no more a cover as Bring Your Daughter. BYD was professionally recorded by Bruce and RELEASED. Jaunita and That Girl ARE covers though.

Reach Out is on my list..

That Girl is insanely different from the original that it's almost a new song, but yeah it's a cover.

Reach Out is amazing.

• DTF.org Member

As for the rest of the covers (again, clearly out and I accept that), "All In Your Mind" (a Sway cover) would have absolutely made my top 75, maybe even top 25.
I have no idea how I missed Burning Ambition and Invasion. I swore I wrote those on the list I sent to Kev. :dunno: But yeah they should be on the list.

I intentionally left all the covers off the list I sent, since none were on a studio album.
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I did PM Kev about those two tracks, but I also recommended listing Women In Uniform and Reach Out.

I think Women In Uniform stands on its own as it was an officially released single and video.

I don't consider Reach Out a cover at all.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I did PM Kev about those two tracks, but I also recommended listing Women In Uniform and Reach Out.

I think Women In Uniform stands on its own as it was an officially released single and video.

I don't consider Reach Out a cover at all.

That's true.  Even though none of the Maiden guys wrote it, it's not a cover in any way.

Offline Dave_Manchester

I'll be joining in with this one too.