Author Topic: Official top 75 Iron Maiden songs thread!! (Top 2 revealed on 07/15!!)  (Read 56146 times)

Offline Shalev Amir

• Shmoolikipod
Re: Official top 75 Iron Maiden songs thread!! (Top 10 started 07/11!!)
« Reply #1610 on: July 13, 2022, 06:11:59 AM »
#109 Behold, the most overrated Maiden song finishes at #6. Well maybe second most overrated song, after The Wicker Man. Cool intro and impressive singing, but the instrumental part is so, so long and I got sleepy so many times listening to it. As with Moonchild, I'm shocked it made the top 10 instead of a more classic song or a reunion song.

#3 Powerslave - the first of my two top 10 songs yet to be revealed... This is one wicked song, from the roaring laugh at the beginning. The riffs here are so evil, especially the prechorus. Bruce does an amazing job at playing a dying pharaoh. And the brilliant solo section turns it from just another great song to an outstanding masterpiece.

And the obvious top 4 will be the top 4! :)
That wasn't how I was expecting this to go honestly! Hard to write without spoiling, but I expected Powerslave to finish top 4 instead of another song, and Phantom or maybe Revelations to fit in too. But this top 4 still makes sense. I wonder if there will be yet another surprise with their order...

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1611 on: July 13, 2022, 06:23:20 AM »
The two lists that left Powerslave off altogether definitely got this from me when entering them into the spreadsheet:

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1612 on: July 13, 2022, 06:28:06 AM »
06 When Eagles Dare
Appeared on 25 of 27 entrees
Top 10 finishes: 10
Highest Ranking: 1 (Dream Team)

05 Powerslave
Top 10 finishes: 12
Highest Ranking: 1 (KevShmev, Deadeye21)

I had Where Eagles Dare at #22. I would have all of their albums by the time Piece Of Mind came out, but Piece Of Mind was the first album that I was waiting for as a fan. I knew Clive was gone and replaced by Nicko, although I originally thought his last name was a joke as it seemed to tie into the album title and art.

Nicko makes his presence known right off the bat with the intro to Where Eagles Dare. But the drumming is ridiculous throughout the song. This album has a pristine production. I think Moonchild would've been great with a Piece Of Mind production. Where Eagles Dare would've been a garbled mess had on been recorded on 7th Son. Anyway, great tune that has been severely underplayed over the years. So happy it made the Legacy setlist. Great tune!

I had Powerslave at #25. In a way, I guess I've always considered Powerslave to be the best of their B-level tracks. I have it at #25 which is very high but I do go back and forth with it a bit. The Powerslave album made such an awful first impression on me , but over time, it has aged quite well.
Powerslave is a great live track, and the ending live is an incredible experience. I takes a show at the midpoint and catapults it to the second half.

So far...

72 Stranger In A Strange Land
70 Afraid to Shoot Strangers
69 Paschendale
68 The Nomad
65 Wasted Years
62 Judas Be My Guide
58 Montesegur
57 Still Life
56 Blood Brothers
54 Brighter Than A Thousand Suns
53 Empire Of The Clouds
50 The Evil That Men Do
48 Heaven Can Wait
45 Revelations
43 Brave New World
42 The Thin Line Between Love And Hate
41 Flight Of Icarus
38 Run To The Hills
36 Moonchild
32 2 Minutes To Midnight
30 The Duellists
28 The Trooper
27 The Number Of The Beast
26 Hell On Earth
25 Powerslave
24 When The Wild Wind Blows
23 The Red And The Black
22 Where Eagles Dare
21 Murders In The Rue Morgue
20 The Prisoner
19 The Clansman
18 Remember Tomorrow
17 No Prayer for the Dying
16 Dance Of Death
15 Lord Of Light
14 For The Greater Good Of God
13 The Book Of Souls
11 Coming Home
10 Sign Of The Cross
9 The Parchment
8 Infinite Dreams
7 The Talisman
6 22 Acacia Avenue
5 Children Of The Damned
4 Phantom Of The Opera
3 Caught Somewhere In Time
2 Fear Of The Dark

-------------------

Not Ranked

77 Starblind
79 The Legacy
82 The Longest Day
83 Isle Of Avalon
85 Alexander The Great
87 Deja Vu
90 Rainmaker
92 If Eternity Should Fail
94 Only the Good Die Young
97 Dream Of Mirrors
99 To Tame A Land
101 The Wicker Man
105 Killers
106 Death of the Celts

NR These Colours Don't Run
NR Ghost Of The Navigator
NR The Clairvoyant
NR Prodigal Son
NR Wratchchild
NR Can I Play with Madness
NR Sea Of Madness
NR The Reincarnation of Benjamin Breeg
NR Out of the Silent Planet
NR The Loneliness Of The Long Distance Runner

My split is 74/24

I have noted the empty spots that will be filled up over the next two days..
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1613 on: July 13, 2022, 06:36:58 AM »
06 When Eagles Dare

Interesting a song I've never heard makes the top 10.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1614 on: July 13, 2022, 06:37:48 AM »
The two lists that left Powerslave off altogether definitely got this from me when entering them into the spreadsheet:

Name shame them boss.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1615 on: July 13, 2022, 06:39:37 AM »
It's the Iron Maiden thread. They'll own up to it, I'm sure.

Although I don't think it's a major crime to have left it off.

One of the upcoming songs was just 11 spaces from missing my list.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline nick_z

« Reply #1616 on: July 13, 2022, 06:40:56 AM »
Where Eagles Dare (#34)

I won't deny I am surprised this made the top 10 (top 5, almost!). It's obviously a great introduction for Nicko, and a very good song/opener, but it doesn't wow me.

Powerslave (#5)

Another fantastic writing credit for Bruce. My favorite from the album and just an amazing song all-around. Great main riff and chorus and, man, the instrumental section is so good, especially the slow part with those beautiful leads and then the harmonized guitars' interplay with the bass. Wonderful stuff.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1617 on: July 13, 2022, 06:42:08 AM »
It's the Iron Maiden thread. They'll own up to it, I'm sure.

Although I don't think it's a major crime to have left it off.

One of the upcoming songs was just 11 spaces from missing my list.

Nah, its no issue at all.  I left Hills and TNOTB off my list for fucks sake lol.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1618 on: July 13, 2022, 06:43:53 AM »
Eagles was at 27 for me.  Cracker and I love the long drawn out instrumental section.

Powerslave was number 5 for me too.  One of the first full proper guitar solos I learned to play also.  Damn that took some time.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #1619 on: July 13, 2022, 06:57:36 AM »
Final update from me before going on holiday!

13 Wasted Years - ranked #50 on mine
Ugh, the main riff is annoying. So much so that I've come to associate the rhythm in the riff (3-3-3-3-2-2) the 'Iron Maiden Rhythm'. Like it's one bar counterpart (3-3-2), it's used in SO MANY Iron Maiden songs that if you start looking for it, you'll find it everywhere. Seriously, have a go, Let's see how many you can find.

12 Phantom of the Opera - ranked #68 on mine
This is like a prehistorical Maiden epic and it's not as good as later songs, but still pretty cool.

11 Revelations - ranked #48 on mine
Ranked this high because of the Live After Death version. The studio version is too slow to be exciting. I'm rather surprised to see it THIS high though.

10 Infinite Dreams - ranked #64 on mine
I may definitely have underrated this one, as I wouldn't have guessed this would end up even close to the top 10, let alone have a #1 finish! I have to listen to this one again, for sure.

09 Moonchild - ranked #23 on mine
Classic tune, really like this one. As you'll see in my final list, it's one of the higher ranked songs from the 80's on mine!

08 Paschendale - ranked #24 on mine
This took a while to click and I still think Montségur is the best track on the album, but it's cool, though they repeat that main riff too often (look, another 3-3-3-3-2-2 :biggrin:) I agree with everyone saying Iron Maiden's lyrics are usually top notch when they're about war.

07 Caught Somewhere in Time - ranked #15 on mine
Awesome, awesome track. Easily my favourite from this album. Glad to see it up high!!

06 Where Eagles Dare - ranked #32 on mine
Yesterday TAC exchanged our top 6 thoughts and I wasn't sure whether it would be this track or a different one. TAC got it right. Surprised to see it at #6 honestly, though it's a fun tune.

05 Powerslave - ranked #33 on mine
Again, I would have expected this a bit lower, but it's a fantastic track either way.

---

Assuming both TAC and me are correct for the remaining 4, I showed the open spots on my list too :biggrin:

My list (cursive songs I ranked highest):

#74 22 Acacia Avenue
#73 The Book of Souls
#71 Only the Good Die Young
#68 The Phantom of the Opera
#67 Killers
#66 The Reincarnation of Benjamin Breeg
#64 Infinite Dreams
#63 Brave New World
#61 No Prayer for the Dying
#59 Wrathchild
#58 The Numbr of the Beast
#57 Death of the Celts
#55 If Eternity Should Fail
#54 Flight of Icarus
#51 Murders in the Rue Morgue
#50 Wasted Years
#49 The Evil That Men Do
#48 Revelations
#47 Run to the Hills
#46 These Colours Don't Run
#44 The Parchment
#43 Sea of Madness
#42 The Nomad
#40 The Legacy
#34 For the Greater Good of God
#33 Powerslave
#32 Where Eagles Dare
#31 Rainmaker
#29 Ghost of the Navigator
#28 Heaven Can Wait
#27 The Clairvoyant
#25 The Clansman
#24 Paschendale
#23 Moonchild
#22 Can I Play With Madness
#21 The Trooper
#20 The Longest Day
#19 Sign of the Cross
#17 Out of the Silent Planet
#15 Caught Somewhere in Time
#14 Empire of the Clouds
#12 Montségur
#11 Coming Home
#9 2 Minutes to Midnight
#8 The Red and the Black
#7 The Wicker Man
#2 Fear of the Dark
#1 Hell on Earth

Unranked on my list:

The Duellists
Deja Vu
Judas be my Guide
Prodigal Son
Afraid to Shoot Strangers
Still Life
Remember Tomorrow
The Thin Line Between Love and Hate
Dream of Mirrors
Isle of Avalon
Lord of Light
The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner
Starblind
Blood Brothers
When the Wild Wind Blows
Brighter Than a Thousand Suns
The Prisoner
Dance of Death
The Talisman
Stranger in a Strange Land
Alexander the Great
To Tame a Land
Children of the Damned

Ranked/Unranked split: 52/23
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1620 on: July 13, 2022, 06:59:12 AM »
06 When Eagles Dare

Oops.

Fixed!

Offline romdrums

« Reply #1621 on: July 13, 2022, 07:09:17 AM »
5. Where Eagles Dare (8).  Nicko lets us know he's not messing around right off the top.  Also, Bruce is in classic Air Raid Siren form here.

4. Powerslave (63).  I can understand the love for this song.  For me, there are so many others I love more.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2022, 07:52:21 AM by romdrums »
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1622 on: July 13, 2022, 07:09:44 AM »
This is mostly a prog forum, which I thin goes a long way in explaining the lack of Di’Anno songs.

But it doesn't explain the dearth of reunion era songs.

Classic Dickinson - 30
Reunion Dickinson - 31
Di'Anno - 6
Bailey - 2

The end result will be 36-31-6-2, but 31/75 is hardly a dearth.

Okay, maybe "dearth" was the wrong word, but I was thinking of the top 25 when I wrote it.  I think there's only three reunion songs in the top 25.  I do think it's impressive that we're basically 50-50 in the entire list.  I'm a big fan of the reunion era and probably listen to it more than the classic era at this point.  (Though I do listen to the classic era; I play a lot of Iron Maiden on my guitar while watching Married At First Sight.  :))

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1623 on: July 13, 2022, 07:14:46 AM »
I think if anyone (such as Stadler) is trying to understand what I see in this song, I made the case better then than I did tonight:

I just cut that for space, not any disrespect.   Yeah, I see it.  I don't know that I agree with all of it, but I love when a song instills passion in someone and to see the love for this song is a wonderful thing.  I listened to it again last night, and it's not like I think the song blows (though I had it at #142).  And it is on an album I love very much, so...

I just appreciate you taking the time to share that insight.   

Online nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1624 on: July 13, 2022, 07:19:48 AM »
33 Where Eagles Dare - The drum roll to start the song is, of course, iconic. I always enjoy hearing the story regarding how it came about. And the instrumental section is marvellous.

18 Powerslave - A Maiden classic.

53 ranked/18 unranked (see below)

78   Only the Good Die Young
79   Sea of Madness
83   The Longest Day
88   From Here to Eternity
101   Murders in the Rue Morgue
104   Judas Be My Guide
106   Remember Tomorrow
109   The Book of Souls
112   Lord of Light
114   The Red and the Black
127   Wrathchild
128   Empire of the Clouds
130   Brighter Than a Thousand Suns
137   Deja-Vu
147   The Reincarnation of Benjamin Breeg
151   Isle of Avalon
152   No Prayer for the Dying
153   Starblind

Still confident the remaining three in my top 20 will appear although getting slightly twitchy (twitchy? Who the hell gets twitchy about a song making an arbitrary list or not?! How absurd!) about one. Nah, it's got to be there.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #1625 on: July 13, 2022, 07:37:19 AM »
Where Eagles Dare came in at 68 on my list. It's obviously a good song, but not as good as The Angel and the Gambler, The Fugitive, and Charlotte the Harlot, just to name a few that didn't make the final list. I had 6 PoM songs on my list, and this was the lowest ranking of the lot.

Powerslave, on the other hand, is a stone-cold classic, and at 11, my favorite from the album. On another day it could easily have been a few spots higher. Love it.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1626 on: July 13, 2022, 07:42:30 AM »
06 Where Eagles Dare: #6 - Nailed it EXACTLY!   I'm with TAC, mostly; I got into Maiden on the Number Of The Beast cycle, so this was the first "fresh" album from the band, and I too thought "McBrain" was a joke.  I got the single first (Icarus, with "I've Got The Fire" on the b-side) and was so ready for the record, and this song just SLAYED me.  The drum fill opener, the vocal and - and I'm surprised no one mentioned it yet - the GUITAR SOLO!  I think that may still be my favorite solo in the catalogue.  So evocative.

I've told this story before, but WED was the opener on that tour; I was sitting stage left, about five rows up when the show started, and Bruce's mike didn't work.  I swear to this day I could hear him singing - acoustically - over the band.  When the first verse was done he came over to the tech on the side right in front of me and was screaming at him.  They got the mic working for the second verse or so and things went swimmingly from there.  :)

05 Powerslave: #47 - One-third of my favorite album side in the catalogue, but the last of the three on my list.  Yes, "Back In The Village" is higher (I ranked it #19). 

I'm not disagreeing with this list - it is what it is - but I'm on record already with being out of step with the fandom here;  I'm going to have fully six songs in my Top 15 that aren't even in the group top 75.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #1627 on: July 13, 2022, 07:44:22 AM »
Oh yeah Where Eagles Dare. So, over the years Phantom of the Opera was my #1 Maiden song, sometimes threatened by Paschendale or a couple others - but lately it's been WED. The best drumming on any Maiden song, an absolutely iconic vocal performance, a really unique and cool solo from Dave, great epic lyrics, and an amazing crescendo at the end. I remember having the cassette of this album and reading those lyrics and loving them and appreciating the awesome way Bruce sung them.

And really, people are citing repetition as a reason to dislike this song??? It's 6 minutes. You've got 10 minute reunion era songs with endless repetition that get fawned over. Give me a break! And not as good as Angel & the Gambler?  :rollin :rollin

Powerslave I had at 36 and is most noteworthy for that amazing instrumental section and especially the way it starts with that melodic guitar line and Steve's tasty bass underneath. Classic stuff.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1628 on: July 13, 2022, 10:06:42 AM »
06 Where Eagles Dare

A decent portion of Piece of Mind is still somewhat of a miss for me, but those first three songs are pretty cracking, with the opener here being pretty great. I had it at 17.

05 Powerslave

This was my number 1 song.  It won't surprise me if it doesn't remain my favorite by the band as time goes on and I continue to keep listening, but it became my favorite late last year and has stayed there since.  An excellent all-around tune.

Glad I'm able to do today's post before I head to the airport.

Where Eagles Dare was my #4 song.  A FANTASTIC song and album opener, and my #2 song on my #1 album.  Gets you locked in for the near perfect album that is coming.

Powerslave was my #3 song.  Bruce is on fire, and the instrumental section kicks all kinds of ass.  My band played this for a bit, but it didn't work with only one guitar.

STANDINGS
The opportunity for Beast to take over the #3 spot from Seventh Son is dwindling quickly.  The Beast will need a bit of help from Powerslave.

*1. Somewhere in Time:  8 songs/346 points – Déjà Vu (#68), Heaven Can Wait (#66), The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner (#48), Stranger in a Strange Land (#22), Alexander the Great (#21), Sea of Madness (#17), Wasted Years (#13), Caught Somewhere in Time (#7)

2. Piece of Mind:  6 songs/328 points – Still Life (#57), To Tame a Land (#20), The Trooper (#19), Flight of Icarus (#15), Revelations (#11), Where Eagles Dare (#6)

3. Seventh Son of a Seventh Son:  6 songs/240 points – Can I Play with Madness (#73), Only the Good Die Young (#59), The Evil That Men Do (#39), The Clairvoyant (#26), Infinite Dreams (#10), Moonchild (#9)

4. The Number of the Beast:  5 songs/237 points – Run to the Hills (#41), 22 Acacia Avenue (#38), The Prisoner (#32), Children of the Damned (#18), The Number of the Beast (#14)

5. A Matter of Life and Death:  7 songs/218 points – The Reincarnation of Benjamin Breeg (#71), These Colours Don’t Run (#65), Lord of Light (#49), The Longest Day (#43), Brighter Than a Thousand Suns (#33), The Legacy (#30), For the Greater Good of God (#23)

6. Brave New World:  8 songs/186 points – Out of the Silent Planet (#70), Brave New World (#60), The Wicker Man (#58), The Nomad (#56), The Thin Line Between Love and Hate (#53), Dream of Mirrors (#52), Blood Brothers (#44), Ghost of the Navigator (#29)

7. The Final Frontier:  5 songs/182 points – Isle of Avalon (#51), Starblind (#47), Coming Home (#37), When the Wild Wind Blows (#36), The Talisman (#27)

8. Dance of Death:  4 songs/146 points – Rainmaker (#72), Montsegur (#50), Dance of Death (#28), Paschendale (#8)

9. The Book of Souls:  4 songs/121 points – If Eternity Should Fail (#64), The Book of Souls (#46), The Red and the Black (#42), Empire of the Clouds (#31)

10. Powerslave:  3 songs/115 points – The Duellists (#74), 2 Minutes to Midnight (#34), Powerslave (#5)

11. Senjutsu:  3 songs/93 points – Death of the Celts (#75), The Parchment (#35), Hell on Earth (#25)

12. Iron Maiden:  2 songs/85 points – Remember Tomorrow (#55), Phantom of the Opera (#12)

13. Killers:  4 songs/80 points – Prodigal Son (#63), Wrathchild (#62), Killers (#54), Murders in the Rue Morgue (#45)

14. Fear of the Dark:  3 songs/76 points – Judas Be My Guide (#67), Afraid to Shoot Strangers (#61), Fear of the Dark (#24)

15. The X Factor:  1 song/60 points – Sign of the Cross (#16)

16. Virtual XI:  1 song/36 points – The Clansman (#40)

17. No Prayer for the Dying:  1 song/7 points – No Prayer for the Dying (#69)
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1629 on: July 13, 2022, 10:50:21 AM »
33 Where Eagles Dare - The drum roll to start the song is, of course, iconic. I always enjoy hearing the story regarding how it came about. And the instrumental section is marvellous.

Just re-listening to this, loud. What a tune. I've probably ranked it 15 places too low. But bloody hell, they've just got too many good songs. What a band.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1630 on: July 13, 2022, 12:42:45 PM »
Only three of my top 10 songs made the final top 10 here, but at least they were my numbers 1 (Powerslave), 2 (Infinite Dreams) and 3 (TBA).

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1631 on: July 13, 2022, 01:32:17 PM »
All of my Top 10 made the countdown, and I would expect that it will be my entire Top 30 (minus my #29).

Offline Glasser

« Reply #1632 on: July 13, 2022, 02:03:57 PM »
06 When Eagles Dare

Its the sequel! Next album will have Why Eagles Dare.  :biggrin:

Offline Dave_Manchester

« Reply #1633 on: July 13, 2022, 02:25:42 PM »
Where Eagles Dare: #45. Great song, should probably have been ranked higher but what can I say, when I did the relisten there were 44 other tunes that elicited a slightly louder 'fuck yeah!' from me.

Powerslave: #9. This was in the running to be my #1, and on any given day it could be (when this list is wrapped up on Friday I'm probably going to post my re-edited top 10 because I've continued to listen to Maiden since the countdown began and I'd change a few things around, partly due to other people's write-ups causing me to listen more closely to certain songs). My highest rated song on the album. 

My list so far in descending order:

#74: If Eternity Should Fail
#72: Run to the Hills
#70: Sign of the Cross
#68: For The Greater Good of God
#66: The Longest Day
#65: Brighter Than A Thousand Suns
#64: Only The Good Die Young
#63: Still Life
#61: Empire of the Clouds
#60: The Clairvoyant
#59: The Evil That Men Do
#57: Paschendale
#56: These Colours Don't Run
#54: Can I Play With Madness
#53: Remember Tomorrow
#52: Judas Be My Guide
#51: Blood Brothers
#49: The Prisoner
#45: Where Eagles Dare
#44: Flight of Icarus
#42: To Tame A Land
#41: Rainmaker
#40: The Clansman
#37: 2 Minutes To Midnight
#36: Montsegur
#34: The Wicker Man
#31: Caught Somewhere in Time
#29: The Parchment
#28: Moonchild
#25: Hell on Earth
#24: Stranger in a Strange Land
#23: The Number of the Beast
#22: Heaven Can Wait
#21: Starblind
#20: Coming Home
#19: Wasted Years
#18: The Red and the Black
#17: Phantom of the Opera
#16: Children of the Damned
#15: The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner
#14: Revelations
#13: Ghost of the Navigator
#12: Infinite Dreams
#11: Fear of the Dark
#10: 22 Acacia Avenue
#9: Powerslave
#8: Alexander the Great
#6: No Prayer for the Dying
#5: Sea of Madness
#4: When The Wild Wind Blows
#3: Dance of Death
#1: Afraid To Shoot Strangers

Not ranked:

Death of the Celts
The Duellists
Out of the Silent Planet
The Reincarnation of Benjamin Breeg
Deja-Vu
Prodigal Son
Wrathchild
Brave New World
The Nomad
Killers
The Thin Line Between Love and Hate
Dream of Mirrors
Isle of Avalon
Lord of Light
The Book of Souls
Murders in the Rue Morgue
The Legacy
The Talisman
The Trooper

Ranked/Unranked split: 52/19

Offline Shalev Amir

• Shmoolikipod
« Reply #1634 on: July 13, 2022, 02:26:14 PM »

13 Wasted Years - ranked #50 on mine
Ugh, the main riff is annoying. So much so that I've come to associate the rhythm in the riff (3-3-3-3-2-2) the 'Iron Maiden Rhythm'. Like it's one bar counterpart (3-3-2), it's used in SO MANY Iron Maiden songs that if you start looking for it, you'll find it everywhere. Seriously, have a go, Let's see how many you can find.

Yeah, once I realized that's a rhythm that fits in 4/4 I realized just how often Maiden uses this rhythm. Gates of Tomorrow is one of the worst offenders of this - the 3-3-3-3-2-2 dominates the intro, chorus and outro so heavily and that totals for like what, half of the song? I think that's why it feels so fillery.

Offline The Realm

« Reply #1635 on: July 13, 2022, 04:25:55 PM »

And really, people are citing repetition as a reason to dislike this song??? It's 6 minutes. You've got 10 minute reunion era songs with endless repetition that get fawned over. Give me a break! And not as good as Angel & the Gambler?  :rollin :rollin

This really made me laugh -  it is so true. As great as much of the reunion era is, some trimming would have benefited a number of tracks.

Offline The Realm

« Reply #1636 on: July 13, 2022, 04:38:31 PM »

06 Where Eagles Dare

05 Powerslave

Where Eagles Dare - number 7 for me (missed by one spot!). This is Maiden's second best album opening track and starts off with a now iconic intro from Nicko. The machine gun type riffing really helps set the scene and Bruce delivers a powerhouse performance on this track.

Powerslave - 12 for me. Suprised at the absolute love for this one, two number 1 rankings is unexpected. Another great vocal from Bruce and the instrumental/solo section is one of my absolute favourites.

All of my top 30 apart from 1 song (Purgatory - an obviously very underrated track from Killers for those who never listen to that album...) will make the top 75.

Four (very obvious) songs left and 2 of them get a 27 out of 27 - but which 2 will it be.....

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #1637 on: July 13, 2022, 04:49:41 PM »
Where Eagles Dare (#5)
I don't know if there's any other Maiden song so driven by the drums? Anyway, tremendous song with great drumming. For those who complain about the middle instrumental section (which I love as it is), I believe the live version has it shortened a bit. One last thing, I like POM production, although the mix does sound a bit like mono and - my only real complaint - the bass drums sound really low in the mix.

Powerslave (#4)
A masterpiece of a song and another one with very creative parts by Nicko, including a little drum solo! That interlude and soloing are unbelievably inspired.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1638 on: July 13, 2022, 06:55:13 PM »
More later, but for the record, the instrumental breakdown in Eagles is my favorite Maiden instrumental break of all time. Not only is it not boring…it’s too bloody short. When I was 16 I managed to do some “tape magic” that doubled the length of that riff. It was my favorite song to air guitar too. Totally a masterpiece.

I had it at #9 and it probably should have been higher. I totally didn’t expect this to make the top 10 initially, but by the time we got to 15 and we still hadn’t seen it, I started to get excited because I knew it had to be coming.

I usually hear a lot of people slag on this song, and especially my cherished riff in the instrumental break, so it’s especially surprising to see it as the top rated song from POM.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #1639 on: July 13, 2022, 07:07:06 PM »
So the Final Four are all in my top 11.  :metal Great minds and all that . . .

Offline The Realm

« Reply #1640 on: July 13, 2022, 07:09:30 PM »

Same with me. 1,2,3 and 11 to be precise..

Offline Deadeye21

• 30 years say we’re in this together
« Reply #1641 on: July 13, 2022, 07:23:22 PM »
06 Where Eagles Dare

05 Powerslave

Where Eagles Dare was my number 6, BINGO!! Alright, it’s a fairly perfect song. This is the first song on Nicko’s first album with the band and he is thrown in your face with one of the most classic drum fills of all time! The rest of the song is an absolute powerhouse too, it’s my second favourite album opener by Maiden and just an extremely excellent song.

Would you look at that, my favourite song made it to number 5! I’ve always loved this song, I think this is Dave’s all time best solo, I think the riff is an absolute juggernaut in the Maiden catalog. It’s amazing and I don’t think they’ve ever topped it!
Let's go with a P for Deadeye has premature alphabetejaculation.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1642 on: July 13, 2022, 08:40:11 PM »
More later, but for the record, the instrumental breakdown in Eagles is my favorite Maiden instrumental break of all time. Not only is it not boring…it’s too bloody short. When I was 16 I managed to do some “tape magic” that doubled the length of that riff. It was my favorite song to air guitar too. Totally a masterpiece.

I had it at #9 and it probably should have been higher. I totally didn’t expect this to make the top 10 initially, but by the time we got to 15 and we still hadn’t seen it, I started to get excited because I knew it had to be coming.

I usually hear a lot of people slag on this song, and especially my cherished riff in the instrumental break, so it’s especially surprising to see it as the top rated song from POM.

I agree about the instrumental breakdown in Where Eagles Dare.  That could have gone on another minute or two at least.  :metal :metal

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1643 on: July 13, 2022, 09:20:54 PM »

I agree with ALL of this (although I've never heard many people slag on the song, fortunately).

Hmmm...

The Collective Top 10
1-4:  My 2, 6, 10 and 13
5:  Powerslave - my #3
6:  Where Eagles Dare - my #4
7:  Caught Somewhere in Time - my #22
8:  Paschendale - my #38
9:  Moonchild - my #8
10:  Infinite Dreams - not ranked

My Top 10
1. To Tame a Land - #20
2. Will be in the top 4
3. Powerslave - #5
4. Where Eagles Dare - #6
5. The Number of the Beast - #14
6. Will be in the top 4
7. Phantom of the Opera - #12
8. Moonchild - #9
9. 22 Acacia Avenue - #38
10. Will be in the top 4
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline The Realm

« Reply #1644 on: July 13, 2022, 10:52:05 PM »

I agree with ALL of this (although I've never heard many people slag on the song, fortunately).

Hmmm...

The Collective Top 10
1-4:  My 2, 6, 10 and 13
5:  Powerslave - my #3
6:  Where Eagles Dare - my #4
7:  Caught Somewhere in Time - my #22
8:  Paschendale - my #38
9:  Moonchild - my #8
10:  Infinite Dreams - not ranked

My Top 10
1. To Tame a Land - #20
2. Will be in the top 4