Author Topic: Official top 75 Iron Maiden songs thread!! (Top 2 revealed on 07/15!!)  (Read 55933 times)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Re: Official top 75 Iron Maiden songs thread!! (Countdown is now going!)
« Reply #1400 on: July 08, 2022, 09:43:52 AM »
I wouldn't do the Beatles simply because they have 8,000 songs and updating the spreadsheet would take forever every time a new list was submitted.

I like Sabbath, Ozzy and Metallica, but I can't see myself getting too excited to one for any of them any time soon, and I won't do a countdown if I am going to half ass it, and I need to be a huge fan of a band (Rush, DT, VH) or still in the honeymoon discovery phase (Maiden) to want to dedicate the time it takes to do it.

Opeth is a good possibility, but as they are very much an autumn band for me, I'd be more likely to them in October/November.

I love Priest, but not sure I'd want to do them right after doing Maiden considering the similarity of the bands stylistically.  Doing something a little different is preferable.

I could be talked into a U2 one at some point, but not right now.

Queensryche could be a good one. With them, I'd probably just put the songs from the debut through Promised Land on the spreadsheet and then if anyone actually puts anything from an album after 1994, I could add it on the fly, meaning the final list would not have everything, as I would not waste my time doing a spreadsheet on them with all of those songs from their many shitty albums on there. :lol

Porcupine Tree is still the most likely one to be next.

Actually, if you remove covers, The Beatles DON'T have 8,000 songs.  In fact, I'd guess it's right around the Maiden number.  They only had ten albums, and they didn't have a totally self-written album until their third (A Hard Day's Night) then not again until I think their sixth record, Rubber Soul.  I know there's debate about covers, but even as a die-hard Beatles fan, I'd have no problem skipping the covers.

I'm certainly in on a Beatles one and I would be in on a Kiss one.  I'd do Metallica, but it would take some refreshing.  I would do U2 as well.  The problem with a Sabbath one is the same as Queensryche; I mean, I love the Tony Martin years, but there's a reason they toured arenas/stadia with Ozzy, big theaters with Dio, and clubs with Martin.

An AC/DC one would work, too.

I'm on the fence about Porcupine Tree.  I'm not a fan and I'm not familiar, so if I did do it, it would be for conversation purposes only and would have to be time permitting (like Dave).

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
Re: Official top 75 Iron Maiden songs thread!! (Top 20 starts on 07/07!)
« Reply #1401 on: July 08, 2022, 10:06:39 AM »
Children of the Damned (#39)
Like I said before, I love those TNOTB mini epics!

Sea of Madness (#66)
The beginning with that guitar riff/bass/drums combo is amazing, one of my favorite instrumental parts of any Maiden's album. The song as a whole is really nice!

Sign of the Cross (#47)
Although I like more Bruce's interpretation, I think the studio version sounds better overall, despite the bare bones production of TXF. I love that passage, beginning at 6:05 until the solos. My fave Blaze's era song together with Man on The Edge.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1402 on: July 08, 2022, 10:26:30 AM »
Re: the Queensryche possibility

I like the TLT stuff, but even I would completely agree with sticking to EP-PL. My only suggestion would be including HITNF and thus completing the classic lineup material.

And while I’m in favor of leaving everything else out, I would BEG for “The Right Side of My Mind” to be the lone exception.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1403 on: July 08, 2022, 10:30:09 AM »
So.... lot's to catch up on:

2 Minutes To Midnight - 62
Brighter Than A Thousand Suns - 105
The Prisoner - 41

Empire Of The Clouds - 77 (Agree that this gets love because of it's length)
The Legacy - 158 (I feel like this might be a mistake on my part.  It's not top 20, but maybe 158 is too low.)
Ghost Of The Navigator - 51
Dance Of Death - 38

The Talisman - 136
The Clairvoyant - 32
Hell On Earth -23
Fear Of The Dark - 31

For The Greater Good of God - 88
Stranger In A Strange Land - 8 (LOVE this song; my favorite from the record, actually).
Alexander The Great - 86 (Good not great; don't get the mystique around this; I've seen Maiden too many times to count and wouldn't want to see this live)
To Tame A Land - 129
The Trooper - 87
Children Of The Damned - 7 (Stone cold CLASSIC.  Everything I think of when I hear "Iron Maiden")
Sea Of Madness - 70
Sign Of The Cross - 39

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1404 on: July 08, 2022, 10:59:36 AM »
18 - Children of the Damned:  My opinions about this song vary a bit, but it's never higher than the #6 song on TNOTB.  In this ranking it placed higher than Run to the Hills and Gangland, but that's not always the case.  I had it at #32, so it's obviously a good song.  It just gets overshadowed by most of the rest of the album.

17 - Sea of Madness:  As it happens, I listened to SIT on my commute yesterday.  I sometimes feel like I should like this song more than I do.  I had it at #34, but I now think that's a bit higher than it should be.  Good but definitely not #17 level (and not at all better than the other SIT songs we've seen).  This caused me to think that SIT might not be the 100% represented album, but now that it's shown up, I'm back to assuming all SIT songs will make an appearance.

16 - Sign of the Cross:  So...I guess this is the song everyone was waiting for.  I don't think I've ever heard it before (I haven't liked any of the Bailey material I've heard, so I didn't bother including them in my rankings).  I just listened to it.  I got really bored and wanted to stop it about halfway through.  Damn...they sounded tired and uninspired, and the vocals are bleh.  It picked up a bit around the 7:45 mark, but how this managed to grab such a high ranking is utterly beyond my comprehension.  SEVEN top 10 finishes and two #1s?!

I'm guess that the top 15 will consist only of songs from the debut, Beast, Piece, Powerslave, SIT and SSOASS (plus one from Dance).

1. A Matter of Life and Death:  7 songs/218 points – The Reincarnation of Benjamin Breeg (#71), These Colours Don’t Run (#65), Lord of Light (#49), The Longest Day (#43), Brighter Than a Thousand Suns (#33), The Legacy (#30), For the Greater Good of God (#23)

2. Somewhere in Time:  6 songs/214 points – Déjà Vu (#68), Heaven Can Wait (#66), The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner (#48), Stranger in a Strange Land (#22), Alexander the Great (#21), Sea of Madness (#17)

3. Brave New World:  8 songs/186 points – Out of the Silent Planet (#70), Brave New World (#60), The Wicker Man (#58), The Nomad (#56), The Thin Line Between Love and Hate (#53), Dream of Mirrors (#52), Blood Brothers (#44), Ghost of the Navigator (#29)

4. The Final Frontier:  5 songs/182 points – Isle of Avalon (#51), Starblind (#47), Coming Home (#37), When the Wild Wind Blows (#36), The Talisman (#27)

5. The Number of the Beast:  4 songs/175 points – Run to the Hills (#41), 22 Acacia Avenue (#38), The Prisoner (#32), Children of the Damned (#18)

6. Piece of Mind:  3 songs/132 points – Still Life (#57), To Tame a Land (#20), The Trooper (#19)

7. The Book of Souls:  4 songs/121 points – If Eternity Should Fail (#64), The Book of Souls (#46), The Red and the Black (#42), Empire of the Clouds (#31)

8. Seventh Son of a Seventh Son:  4 songs/107 points – Can I Play with Madness (#73), Only the Good Die Young (#59), The Evil That Men Do (#39), The Clairvoyant (#26)

9. Killers:  4 songs/80 points – Prodigal Son (#63), Wrathchild (#62), Killers (#54), Murders in the Rue Morgue (#45)

10. Dance of Death:  3 songs/78 points – Rainmaker (#72), Montsegur (#50), Dance of Death (#28)

11. Powerslave:  2 song/44 points – The Duellists (#74), 2 Minutes to Midnight (#34)

12. Senjutsu:  3 songs/93 points – Death of the Celts (#75), The Parchment (#35), Hell on Earth (#25)

13. Fear of the Dark:  3 songs/76 points – Judas Be My Guide (#67), Afraid to Shoot Strangers (#61), Fear of the Dark (#24)

14. The X Factor:  1 song/60 points – Sign of the Cross (#16)

15. Virtual XI:  1 song/36 points – The Clansman (#40)

16. Iron Maiden:  1 song/21 points – Remember Tomorrow (#55)

17. No Prayer for the Dying:  1 song/7 points – No Prayer for the Dying (#69)
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1405 on: July 08, 2022, 11:17:27 AM »
Actually, if you remove covers, The Beatles DON'T have 8,000 songs.  In fact, I'd guess it's right around the Maiden number.  They only had ten albums, and they didn't have a totally self-written album until their third (A Hard Day's Night) then not again until I think their sixth record, Rubber Soul.  I know there's debate about covers, but even as a die-hard Beatles fan, I'd have no problem skipping the covers.

According to Wikipedia, the "main catalogue" consists of 188 originals, plus 100 post-breakup released songs, the only ones of which would likely get any run would be Free As a Bird and Real Love.  I think 188 + those two songs would be manageable (or maybe 187 + 2 if you do the right thing and bar Rev9).
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1406 on: July 08, 2022, 11:20:29 AM »
[...]but how this managed to grab such a high ranking is utterly beyond my comprehension.

Bah! Infidel! :flame:

73 Children of the Damned - I like it, I do. But I don't really think there's anything about it that particularly stands out.

79 Sea of Madness
- As I said earlier in this thread or the other one, I've listened to this song so many times trying to hear what others do but... I just don't hear it. It's good. But I don't hear the magic. And I think the production lets it down horribly.

2 Sign of the Cross - One of Maiden's best songs and Better with Blaze (tm). I knew it'd make the 75. Thought I might be the highest ranker but well done to jammindude and wolfking for giving it top spot :metal I literally laughed out loud the first time I listened to the song, back in, what, 1995, when the 'standing along in the wind and rain' part started. So clichéd. And I still find it funny. But I also love that part, just as I love the entire tune from start to finish.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1407 on: July 08, 2022, 12:20:11 PM »
18 Children of the Damned
Appeared on 21 of 27 entrees
Top 10 finishes: 4
Highest Ranking: 5 (TAC)

17 Sea of Madness
Top 10 finishes: 8
Highest Ranking: 3 (Setlist Scotty)

16 Sign of the Cross
Top 10 finishes: 7
Highest Ranking: 1 (jammindude, wolfking)

I had Children Of The Damned at #5. Obviously I love this song. One of my all time favorites. I thought Dream Theater did a great job covering it, particularly on the Osaka boot.

I had Sea Of Madness as Not Rated. I'm sorry. What a clunkfest.

I had Sign Of The Cross at #10. What a great song. It blew me away when I first heard it. Blaze is fantastic on it as well. Blaze in the original chorus has a ton of depth. And I'm so happy that they've played it on a couple of tours. Their presentation of it on the Legacy tour is incredible.

So far...

72 Stranger In A Strange Land
70 Afraid to Shoot Strangers
68 The Nomad
62 Judas Be My Guide
58 Montesegur
57 Still Life
56 Blood Brothers
54 Brighter Than A Thousand Suns
53 Empire Of The Clouds
50 The Evil That Men Do
48 Heaven Can Wait
43 Brave New World
42 The Thin Line Between Love And Hate
38 Run To The Hills
32 2 Minutes To Midnight
29 The Duellists
28 The Trooper
26 Hell On Earth
24 When The Wild Wind Blows
23 The Red And The Black
21 Murders In The Rue Morgue
20 The Prisoner
19 The Clansman
18 Remember Tomorrow
17 No Prayer for the Dying
16 Dance Of Death
15 Lord Of Light
14 For The Greater Good Of God
13 The Book Of Souls
11 Coming Home
10 Sign Of The Cross
8 The Parchment
7 The Talisman
6 22 Acacia Avenue
5 Children Of The Damned
2 Fear Of The Dark

-------------------

Not Ranked

77 Starblind
79 The Legacy
82 The Longest Day
83 Isle Of Avalon
85 Alexander The Great
87 Deja Vu
90 Rainmaker
92 If Eternity Should Fail
94 Only the Good Die Young
97 Dream Of Mirrors
99 To Tame A Land
101 The Wicker Man
105 Killers
106 Death of the Celts

NR These Colours Don't Run
NR Ghost Of The Navigator
NR The Clairvoyant
NR Prodigal Son
NR Wratchchild
NR Can I Play with Madness
NR Sea Of Madness
NR The Reincarnation of Benjamin Breeg
NR Out of the Silent Planet
NR The Loneliness Of The Long Distance Runner

My split is 36/25
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1408 on: July 08, 2022, 03:38:17 PM »

Sign of the Cross - well this is a polarising song. To have 2 rank this at number 1 is amazing but unlike Kev and Dave I am not that surprised to see it this high because there has been enough talk about it on this forum over the years that I know the love is there, just not with me but I did rank it at 42. This is the only song I ranked from Blaze's 2 albums.

Where did I say I was surprised to see it this high?

Sorry I am just assuming because you clearly don’t like it but yes I guess you did never say it. Where is my apology for missing me as the highest ranker of Children of the Dammed? 😋

I will have to revisit the master lists when I get home later.  Sounds like an oversight on my part when doing the write-ups for this thread.  :facepalm: :facepalm:

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1409 on: July 08, 2022, 03:39:45 PM »

Kev, looking at the-list-no-else-had-access-to, would you say there are any "stunners", in your view? Both as songs you'd have expected to be there but aren't, and vice versa? I know you had mentioned a song a few pages ago that you were shocked wasn't showing up in many lists...

Just curious (without naming any names of course), so you can build some further anticipation  ;)

It is hard for me at this stage what songs should be on there and which shouldn't be, but I stand by being pretty stunned that a particular early song will have not make the top 75. I will not say what is till the countdown is over.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1410 on: July 08, 2022, 03:43:37 PM »

I'm certainly in on a Beatles one and I would be in on a Kiss one.  I'd do Metallica, but it would take some refreshing.  I would do U2 as well.  The problem with a Sabbath one is the same as Queensryche; I mean, I love the Tony Martin years, but there's a reason they toured arenas/stadia with Ozzy, big theaters with Dio, and clubs with Martin.

An AC/DC one would work, too.

I'm on the fence about Porcupine Tree.  I'm not a fan and I'm not familiar, so if I did do it, it would be for conversation purposes only and would have to be time permitting (like Dave).

8,000 songs was obviously an exaggeration about the Beatles, but I just wonder how much interest there'd be here to do on them.  As noted before, I don't want to do any countdown where I am getting less than 15 or so lists.

The odds of me doing one on Kiss are about the same as Margot Robbie falling in love with me this month, but if that happens, I will do the Kiss one, deal? :P

Offline Shalev Amir

• Shmoolikipod
« Reply #1411 on: July 08, 2022, 03:51:34 PM »

Kev, looking at the-list-no-else-had-access-to, would you say there are any "stunners", in your view? Both as songs you'd have expected to be there but aren't, and vice versa? I know you had mentioned a song a few pages ago that you were shocked wasn't showing up in many lists...

Just curious (without naming any names of course), so you can build some further anticipation  ;)

It is hard for me at this stage what songs should be on there and which shouldn't be, but I stand by being pretty stunned that a particular early song will have not make the top 75. I will not say what is till the countdown is over.
I'll guess it's my #19. At least, I don't think it has much of a chance anymore and it would be tragically underrated if that's really the song.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1412 on: July 08, 2022, 03:52:50 PM »
  The problem with a Sabbath one is the same as Queensryche; I mean, I love the Tony Martin years, but there's a reason they toured arenas/stadia with Ozzy, big theaters with Dio, and clubs with Martin.

Yeah, but what kind of venue is irrelevant for a list here. Lots of people here hold the Tony Martin Era's music in very high regard. You yourself mentioned that you love it. Plus the Gillan and Glenn Hughes material. I think it would make a great countdown with many surprises. I think there'd be a lot to chew on in that countdown.

If Kev did a Top 50 with 15 lists, I bet Ozzy gets no more than 25-28 songs. It'd be under 30.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline The Realm

« Reply #1413 on: July 08, 2022, 04:16:48 PM »
  The problem with a Sabbath one is the same as Queensryche; I mean, I love the Tony Martin years, but there's a reason they toured arenas/stadia with Ozzy, big theaters with Dio, and clubs with Martin.

Yeah, but what kind of venue is irrelevant for a list here. Lots of people here hold the Tony Martin Era's music in very high regard. You yourself mentioned that you love it. Plus the Gillan and Glenn Hughes material. I think it would make a great countdown with many surprises. I think there'd be a lot to chew on in that countdown.

If Kev did a Top 50 with 15 lists, I bet Ozzy gets no more than 25-28 songs. It'd be under 30.

I would be in for Sabbath, I would actually be in for any band that has been mentioned but in terms of a Sabbath top 50 I'd say possibly up to 40 of my songs would be Ozzy.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #1414 on: July 08, 2022, 04:46:05 PM »
I'm an Ozzy fanboy. That said, I love the Dio era as well as Tony Martin. If I played albums Tyr back to back with Paranoid and Heaven and Hell you could literally change the name of the band. To me, Sabbath IS Ozzy, period. Its all perspective and taste. Good luck doing a Sabbath countdown.  :metal

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #1415 on: July 08, 2022, 05:34:13 PM »
Toady's songs feature two major winners and one major thud.

18 Children of the Damned
Top 10 finishes: 4
Highest Ranking: 5 (TAC)

I had this at 29. Great song. While it definitely feels like they used the template from Sabbath's Children of the Sea, that came out two years earlier, it still manages to sound pretty unique.

17 Sea of Madness
Top 10 finishes: 8
Highest Ranking: 3 (Setlist Scotty)

A monster tune, one that ended up in my top 10, at number 10!  The spacey production really makes this song feel massive, and that pre-chorus ("Oh, my eyes they see but I can't believe") is one of their best little moments ever.

16 Sign of the Cross
Top 10 finishes: 7
Highest Ranking: 1 (jammindude, wolfking)

Because the original is unlistenable due to the atrocious vocals by their third horrendous singer (whose name is not worth typing), I gave the Bruce versions a few recent spins to see if this was any good.  It's really not.  Unranked.
Now we're getting into the nitty-gritty and one baffling inclusion in the top 75 and absolutely psychotic inclusion in the top 20........anyway...

Children of the Damned - I had this at #19. Just 1 off...Such a great song on a great album. Great soaring chorus, with moody verses, and some great interplay between instruments. Only have 2 songs higher than this from NotB.

Sea of Madness - This song definitely benefitted from my re-listening. It was always going to make my top 75, but color me a bit surprised when ranker spit it out in the top 20 at #16. The more I thought about it, the more I figured it deserved to be there. Just a great all around song!

Sign of the Cross - This landed at #148.....Remember how I said Maiden does the moody atmospheric intro better than just about anyone else out there, well before this countdown thread started I had completely forgotten the Blaze albums existed, and for good reason. For some reason, whatever magic the band had making incredible buildups in their songs was completely absent for the Blaze albums and this song just epitomizes my point. This song is such a slog to get through and Blaze sounds bored out of his mind. How this ended up in the top 20 completely baffles me. I'll have much more to say about Blaze in my Roulette thread in the next few days.....stay tuned.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline The Realm

« Reply #1416 on: July 08, 2022, 05:47:04 PM »
I'm an Ozzy fanboy. That said, I love the Dio era as well as Tony Martin. If I played albums Tyr back to back with Paranoid and Heaven and Hell you could literally change the name of the band. To me, Sabbath IS Ozzy, period. Its all perspective and taste. Good luck doing a Sabbath countdown.  :metal

Yes this is also me.

Offline The Realm

« Reply #1417 on: July 08, 2022, 05:59:39 PM »

I think the song Kev is talking about has to be on either Piece of Mind or the debut and I favour it coming from Piece of Mind. I think all the other 'big guns' left on Beast, Powerslave, SiT and SS will be there (along with one from Dance of Death) and the only remaining question is does the debut get more than 1 song remaining and how many more than 2 more from Piece of Mind.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1418 on: July 08, 2022, 07:18:58 PM »

I'll guess it's my #19. At least, I don't think it has much of a chance anymore and it would be tragically underrated if that's really the song.

Incorrect. :)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1419 on: July 08, 2022, 07:19:57 PM »
The Realm did have Children of the Damned at number 4, so my post is updated to reflect that. My bad.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1420 on: July 08, 2022, 07:20:49 PM »
I know the song, and I think Kev, as a new fan, might assume that it'd be there. But I never thought it had a chance. It's not on my list.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1421 on: July 08, 2022, 07:22:30 PM »
I say this recognizing my #1 DT song was #67 on the full list... I am shocked, shocked (and not in the Louis Renault way) that Sign of the Cross was #1 on 2 lists and made 7 Top 10s.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1422 on: July 08, 2022, 07:24:51 PM »
Even though I do not have a lot of regard for either, I was not surprised to see Sign of the Cross and The Clansmen do well in this, as they seem to get talked up a lot around these here parts.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1423 on: July 08, 2022, 07:37:55 PM »

I like the TLT stuff, but even I would completely agree with sticking to EP-PL. My only suggestion would be including HITNF and thus completing the classic lineup material.

And while I’m in favor of leaving everything else out, I would BEG for “The Right Side of My Mind” to be the lone exception.

This would be simple: Queensryche songs from the 80s and 90s allowed only.  I know those who like some of the newer stuff would protest, but if I did a top 50, I cannot imagine anything post-90s having a chance in hell of making a cumulative top 50 by the band.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1424 on: July 08, 2022, 07:45:30 PM »
COTD - 40 - Love the arpeggios of the main intro and verses, great tone.  Epic tune in such a small space of time, really well done.  Love the solo from Adrian.  Can't help but to think Kirk took some inspiration for it for One.

SOM - 14 - I stoked to see this rated so high, such an underrated cut and Adrian's songwriting at its best.  Possibly the heaviest riff they have ever done and really interesting too, there's not too many riffs quite like it.  Adrian's guitar work is incredible here and love the melodic rock middle section.  Adrian's fills at the end of the song are out of this world.

SOTC - 1 - TXF was I think my third Maiden album after TNOTB and NPFTD.  I put it on and was instantly shocked but what I was hearing.  Such a dark atmosphere and a totally different vocalist, it blew me away.  The long prog middle section is outstanding and how the song finally explodes into Dave's tapping in the solo is wonderful.  The key change into Janick's solo also takes the intensity up a notch.  TXF got hammered by me each afternoon after school, I loved every second of it.  The darker tones just fit me perfectly and this song has always epitomized what Maiden is about to me, and it's great the band haven't neglected it.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #1425 on: July 08, 2022, 07:52:17 PM »

This would be simple: Queensryche songs from the 80s and 90s allowed only.  I know those who like some of the newer stuff would protest, but if I did a top 50, I cannot imagine anything post-90s having a chance in hell of making a cumulative top 50 by the band.

100% agree Kev. I'm all in on that countdown if and when. I also want to say a huge THANK YOU for doing them. Doing a list is a lot of work so I can only imagine how tedious it can be. Here's to Kev  :metal  :hefdaddy

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1426 on: July 08, 2022, 07:53:35 PM »

100% agree Kev. I'm all in on that countdown if and when. I also want to say a huge THANK YOU for doing them. Doing a list is a lot of work so I can only imagine how tedious it can be. Here's to Kev  :metal  :hefdaddy

Yup. Nobody is as tedious as Kev. ;D

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1427 on: July 08, 2022, 07:53:42 PM »
I'd be down for a Queensryche or Sabbath countdown for sure.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline The Realm

« Reply #1428 on: July 08, 2022, 07:56:16 PM »

I think this would be an awesome countdown. To be honest this would be my number 1 vote to do next but I'm cool with what ever is decided. Kev - you really do these countdown so well, can't imagine it being done better, so we have to keep them going.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #1429 on: July 08, 2022, 07:56:50 PM »
I'd be down for a Queensryche or Sabbath countdown for sure.

I would love to see your rankings on both!  :metal

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1430 on: July 08, 2022, 07:57:33 PM »
I think the Sabbath would be way more interesting because of the different eras.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1431 on: July 08, 2022, 07:58:40 PM »
I could possibly be talked into doing 'Ryche next, while putting Porcupine Tree off till the fall.  I don't want to get this thread too far off track, so I will check interest in the 'Ryche thread.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1432 on: July 08, 2022, 07:59:28 PM »
I could possibly be talked into doing 'Ryche next, while putting Porcupine Tree off till the fall.  I don't want to get this thread too far off track, so I will check interest in the 'Ryche thread.

Do a poll!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1433 on: July 08, 2022, 08:01:06 PM »

Do a poll!

That feels too tedious.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1434 on: July 08, 2022, 08:01:57 PM »

Do a poll!

That feels too tedious.

Be perfect for you then. ;D