Author Topic: Official top 75 Iron Maiden songs thread!! (Top 2 revealed on 07/15!!)  (Read 55937 times)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: Official top 75 Iron Maiden songs thread!! (Top 20 starts on 07/07!)
« Reply #1365 on: July 07, 2022, 05:37:53 PM »
I cranked To Tame a Land on the drive home from work today thinking, "Okay, this will be the money listen, the one where the light bulb goes on." Instead, it went the other way. Musically, it is really good, but the vocal melodies are all bland as hell.  I can't help but think that it got the "DT covered it" bump in this countdown.

The DT version was terrible, mainly because of James. I really wish they rerecorded the vocals during the BC&SL sessions when they recorded the other cover songs.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1366 on: July 07, 2022, 05:41:14 PM »
I cranked To Tame a Land on the drive home from work today thinking, "Okay, this will be the money listen, the one where the light bulb goes on." Instead, it went the other way. Musically, it is really good, but the vocal melodies are all bland as hell.  I can't help but think that it got the "DT covered it" bump in this countdown.

The DT version was terrible, mainly because of James. I really wish they rerecorded the vocals during the BC&SL sessions when they recorded the other cover songs.

Yeah, James sounds fucking horrid.  I can't believe they released it.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1367 on: July 07, 2022, 05:44:04 PM »
Well, I guess that speaks volumes as to how bland the written melodies are when neither James LaBrie nor Bruce Dickinson can make them sound good.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1368 on: July 07, 2022, 05:46:17 PM »
I think Bruce is excellent on the original though.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline The Realm

« Reply #1369 on: July 07, 2022, 07:09:06 PM »
I've also never been a big fan of the vocal melodies in To Tame a Land. I think Kev hit the nail on the head for me and this explains why I have never absolutely loved this song. There are some very cool thing going on musically but the verses especially are very bland.

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #1370 on: July 07, 2022, 07:17:11 PM »
20 To Tame a Land
Appeared on 22 of 27 entrees
Top 10 finishes: 4
Highest Ranking: 1 (pg1067, Tomislav95, Setlist Scotty)

I think I am still a bit underwhelmed on some levels by this, simply because I am used to the DT cover version, but I still liked it enough to put it at 51. I have a feeling I will like this one a lot more over time as I get more used to it.

19 The Trooper
Appeared on 24 of 27 entrees
Top 10 finishes: 2
Highest Ranking: 3 (devieira73)

This initially wasn't on my list, but eventually snuck in at 69.  It is pretty great musically, but I feel like the vocal melodies are pretty ordinary, which is why I struggled to connect with it at first.
To Tame a Land - I had this at 20, so close enough! Just a great song, although I'm a little surprised to see 3 people have it as their #1. Honestly, I've heard the DT cover of this once and never thought about it again.

The Trooper - This was my #18. Sure it might be overplayed, sort of, but it's sooooo good!
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Dave_Manchester

« Reply #1371 on: July 07, 2022, 07:30:33 PM »
Sorry to keep labouring this point, and tomorrow's update may well make me look like an idiot, but at this point I'll be flabbergasted if That Song We've All Been Expecting To Appear from The X Factor does in fact appear. We've only 18 more tunes to come and still so many classics are missing (by my count 17 of them are legendary tunes from the debut through to 7th Son and I'm guessing the remaining one will be a certain cut from Dance of Death). I really think The X Factor is due to go home without a single song represented (though like I said I'm fully prepared for an upcoming update to make a fool of me).

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1372 on: July 07, 2022, 07:35:52 PM »
Sorry to keep labouring this point, and tomorrow's update may well make me look like an idiot, but at this point I'll be flabbergasted if That Song We've All been Expecting To Appear from The X Factor does in fact appear. We've only 18 more tunes to come and still so many classics are missing (by my count 17 of them are legendary tunes from the debut through to 7th Son and I'm guessing the last one will be a certain cut from Dance of Death). I really think The X Factor is due to go home without a single song represented (though like I said I'm fully prepared for an upcoming update to make a fool of me).

It'll be on the list, I have zero doubt.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1373 on: July 07, 2022, 07:41:39 PM »
Sorry to keep labouring this point, and tomorrow's update may well make me look like an idiot, but at this point I'll be flabbergasted if That Song We've All been Expecting To Appear from The X Factor does in fact appear. We've only 18 more tunes to come and still so many classics are missing (by my count 17 of them are legendary tunes from the debut through to 7th Son and I'm guessing the last one will be a certain cut from Dance of Death). I really think The X Factor is due to go home without a single song represented (though like I said I'm fully prepared for an upcoming update to make a fool of me).

I'd put everything I have on it being in.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1374 on: July 07, 2022, 07:56:40 PM »
Now I really want to do tomorrow's update tonight... :P

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1375 on: July 07, 2022, 07:58:36 PM »

I'd put everything I have on it being in.

Me three.

I’m kinda giddy about it. I didn’t think we’d have to wait this long, but now I’m trying to “body English” it into the top 10. Just like when you’re doing all those gyrations trying desperately to get your bowling ball to curve away from the gutter’s edge.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1376 on: July 07, 2022, 08:01:06 PM »
I think we were fine with "Me Three". No need for J-Dude gyrations. :lol

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1377 on: July 07, 2022, 08:12:27 PM »

No spotlighting bitch!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1378 on: July 07, 2022, 08:20:26 PM »

No spotlighting bitch!

LOL, my comment could mean many things.

It could mean the song you're all referencing will be featured in the next update.

It could mean the song you're all referencing will not be featured, leading to more "when will it appear?" chatter.

It could mean the appearance of a surprise song means a song that seemingly should be in the top 75 will not appear at all.

So many possibilities...

Offline The Realm

« Reply #1379 on: July 07, 2022, 08:21:06 PM »
Sorry to keep labouring this point, and tomorrow's update may well make me look like an idiot, but at this point I'll be flabbergasted if That Song We've All Been Expecting To Appear from The X Factor does in fact appear. We've only 18 more tunes to come and still so many classics are missing (by my count 17 of them are legendary tunes from the debut through to 7th Son and I'm guessing the remaining one will be a certain cut from Dance of Death). I really think The X Factor is due to go home without a single song represented (though like I said I'm fully prepared for an upcoming update to make a fool of me).

It will 100% be there, absolute no doubt at all.

Yes, a song from Dance of Death is also a certainty.

The grey area is what is left from the Dianno v Classic era.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1380 on: July 07, 2022, 08:22:59 PM »

No spotlighting bitch!

It could mean the song you're all referencing will be featured in the next update.

It could mean the song you're all referencing will not be featured, leading to more "when will it appear?" chatter.

It could mean the appearance of a surprise song means a song that seemingly should be in the top 75 will not appear at all.

So many possibilities...

I can just see you rubbing your hands together like Mr Burns in my mind…
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1381 on: July 07, 2022, 08:23:06 PM »
*looks at the list that no else has access to at the moment*

*chuckles*

I like surprises.  :biggrin: :biggrin:

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1382 on: July 07, 2022, 08:24:12 PM »

No spotlighting bitch!

So many possibilities...

Bitchshmitch. ;D

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1383 on: July 07, 2022, 09:21:06 PM »
I'm actually guessing there's no surprises.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1384 on: July 07, 2022, 09:32:51 PM »
I had to double check The X Factor to remind myself what songs are on it, because I couldn't imagine any song from that album generating that much angst coming down the stretch.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1385 on: July 07, 2022, 09:54:33 PM »
 :lol  pretty funny only 1 song will make it when I had 6 in my top 50 plus 2 b-sides of that era in my 75.

Offline The Realm

« Reply #1386 on: July 07, 2022, 11:43:33 PM »
I had to double check The X Factor to remind myself what songs are on it, because I couldn't imagine any song from that album generating that much angst coming down the stretch.

It's not angst, it is anticipation! As it's going to be the only one we are all ready to celebrate it's inclusion and let the Blaze debates begin! :)

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1387 on: July 08, 2022, 01:28:34 AM »
:lol  pretty funny only 1 song will make it when I had 6 in my top 50 plus 2 b-sides of that era in my 75.

Seven in my top 75, all 11 inside the top 100 :lol

I knew they were effectively 'wasted' votes but then I live in a safe seat politically so I'm kinda used to my vote making no difference :biggrin:
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1388 on: July 08, 2022, 05:35:07 AM »
Toady's songs feature two major winners and one major thud.

18 Children of the Damned
Appeared on 21 of 27 entrees
Highest Ranking: 4 (The Realm)

I had this at 29. Great song. While it definitely feels like they used the template from Sabbath's Children of the Sea, that came out two years earlier, it still manages to sound pretty unique.

17 Sea of Madness
Top 10 finishes: 8
Highest Ranking: 3 (Setlist Scotty)

A monster tune, one that ended up in my top 10, at number 10!  The spacey production really makes this song feel massive, and that pre-chorus ("Oh, my eyes they see but I can't believe") is one of their best little moments ever.

16 Sign of the Cross
Top 10 finishes: 7
Highest Ranking: 1 (jammindude, wolfking)

Because the original is unlistenable due to the atrocious vocals by their third horrendous singer (whose name is not worth typing), I gave the Bruce versions a few recent spins to see if this was any good.  It's really not.  Unranked.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2022, 07:18:26 PM by KevShmev »

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1389 on: July 08, 2022, 06:02:20 AM »
Children of The Damned (24) - A song that has grown on me over the years. A lovely melodic guitar line in the intro, and a great soaring chorus with nice riffs underneath it.

Sea Of Madness (10) - I've loved this from day one when I got the album. One of Adrian's best songs he wrote for Maiden. Epic chorus, the breakdown is great as well ("When all you see can only bring you sadness").

Sign Of The Cross (33) - My highest ranking song from the two Blaze albums. Some nice melodies here, and an atmospheric intro with the chanting monks. Nothing special otherwise, really.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Dave_Manchester

« Reply #1390 on: July 08, 2022, 06:11:52 AM »
Children of the Damned: #16. Very happy to see this included because for a while there I was getting worried it wasn't going to make it. Fantastic opening (Metallica would end up nicking it for Unforgiven II), lots of twists and turns, just an altogether classic song.

Sea of Madness: #5. Iron's Maiden's most purely thrilling song to me.

Sign of the Cross: #70. Huh. Dave's DTF Predictions For 2022 Thus Far: 1) Putin won't invade Ukraine and 2) Sign of the Cross won't make the list. PM me for my palm-reading rates. It's all tastes etc but I'm very surprised to see how high up this has finished, I never would have imagined it'd be an aggregate top 20 song. In my opinion there are several better Blaze songs than this and I fear this will be the last we'll see of him now on this countdown, though I again refer everyone to my prediction track record. 

My list so far in descending order:

#74: If Eternity Should Fail
#72: Run to the Hills
#70: Sign of the Cross
#68: For The Greater Good of God
#66: The Longest Day
#65: Brighter Than A Thousand Suns
#64: Only The Good Die Young
#63: Still Life
#61: Empire of the Clouds
#60: The Clairvoyant
#59: The Evil That Men Do
#56: These Colours Don't Run
#54: Can I Play With Madness
#53: Remember Tomorrow
#52: Judas Be My Guide
#51: Blood Brothers
#49: The Prisoner
#42: To Tame A Land
#41: Rainmaker
#40: The Clansman
#37: 2 Minutes To Midnight
#36: Montsegur
#34: The Wicker Man
#29: The Parchment
#25: Hell on Earth
#24: Stranger in a Strange Land
#22: Heaven Can Wait
#21: Starblind
#20: Coming Home
#18: The Red and the Black
#16: Children of the Damned
#15: The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner
#13: Ghost of the Navigator
#11: Fear of the Dark
#10: 22 Acacia Avenue
#8: Alexander the Great
#6: No Prayer for the Dying
#5: Sea of Madness
#4: When The Wild Wind Blows
#3: Dance of Death
#1: Afraid To Shoot Strangers

Not ranked:

Death of the Celts
The Duellists
Out of the Silent Planet
The Reincarnation of Benjamin Breeg
Deja-Vu
Prodigal Son
Wrathchild
Brave New World
The Nomad
Killers
The Thin Line Between Love and Hate
Dream of Mirrors
Isle of Avalon
Lord of Light
The Book of Souls
Murders in the Rue Morgue
The Legacy
The Talisman
The Trooper

Ranked/Unranked split: 41/19
« Last Edit: July 08, 2022, 06:17:18 AM by Dave_Manchester »

Offline nick_z

« Reply #1391 on: July 08, 2022, 06:59:29 AM »
To Tame a Land (#25)

Fantastic mini-epic. For some reason, I tend to "forget" about this, and then when when I put it on I'm fully reminded of how good it is. It's true, maybe the vocal melodies are not as memorable as in some other Maiden classics, but the mood on the whole thing really draws me in. And the guitars are SO good on this one (the theme starting around 2:20, among many others, is particularly tasty)

The Trooper (#24)

Another Piece of Mind song just missing my top 20. It doesn't really matter, as it's one of Maiden's galloping classics  :biggrin: One of those songs where the music itself fits the story perfectly. Overplayed, over-familar, yes, but still great.

Children of the Damned (#14)

Here it is! This is one I was starting to think wasn't going to make it and I'm obviously super-happy it did. Love everything about this tune - it's one of those making NOTB so unique. Feels like there is still a little bit of pre-Dickinson Maiden here, but the band is starting to really spread their wings...

Sea of Madness (#11)

This could have easily made my top 10. Unbelievable song. Such a cool (and heavy!) riff, with Nicko going nuts under it. And that slow, melodic interlude...so, so good. One of the many reasons Somewhere in Time is such a special album.

Sign of the Cross (#21)

My favorite song, by quite some margin, of the Blaze era (and a great song in its own right, of course). At the time, it sure sounded like a different Maiden, for sure. In this case, I love how it takes its time to build up, and the instrumental section is excellent. The production is questionable on The X Factor, but somehow I think it fits this song well.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #1392 on: July 08, 2022, 07:02:43 AM »
It's so refreshing to see Sea of madness so high. I've always considered it very underappreciated.  :tup

Sign of the cross is my favorite song of all time, so I am of course happy with its placement. Had I not been lazy and had I contributed my own list, maybe it would have ended up even higher.

Offline The Realm

« Reply #1393 on: July 08, 2022, 07:03:59 AM »

18 Children of the Damned
Highest Ranking: 5 (TAC)

17 Sea of Madness
Top 10 finishes: 8
Highest Ranking: 3 (Setlist Scotty)

16 Sign of the Cross
Top 10 finishes: 7
Highest Ranking: 1 (jammindude, wolfking)

Children of the Dammed - as I ranked this song at number 4, I guess I am the silent highest ranker. Sorry TAC, I beat you by one spot. This is an all time classic song. Fantastic intro, great verse melodies that really build to the chorus and then the song grows and builds into an absolute powerhouse, just awesome all round and to the six people who didn't rank it well...

Sea of Madness - number 8 for me. Another all time classic. Probably the hidden gem on Somewhere in Time as in there are other tracks which have a higher profile including a couple we haven't seen yet.

Sign of the Cross - well this is a polarising song. To have 2 rank this at number 1 is amazing but unlike Kev and Dave I am not that surprised to see it this high because there has been enough talk about it on this forum over the years that I know the love is there, just not with me but I did rank it at 42. This is the only song I ranked from Blaze's 2 albums.

Now the real fun begins. 15 songs to come and at least 1 reunion era and 1 dianno era, but will there be more than 1 from either? Or are the remaining 13 songs from the classic era? Blaze is 100% done now.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1394 on: July 08, 2022, 07:16:46 AM »

Sign of the Cross - well this is a polarising song. To have 2 rank this at number 1 is amazing but unlike Kev and Dave I am not that surprised to see it this high because there has been enough talk about it on this forum over the years that I know the love is there, just not with me but I did rank it at 42. This is the only song I ranked from Blaze's 2 albums.

Where did I say I was surprised to see it this high?

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #1395 on: July 08, 2022, 07:23:08 AM »
I had Trooper at 35, To Tame a Land at 45, and Sea of Madness (yay!) at 19. CoTD and SoTC not ranked. Glad so many others recognize how great SoM is.

Offline Shalev Amir

• Shmoolikipod
« Reply #1396 on: July 08, 2022, 07:30:38 AM »
#18 Dance of Death - folky tune. The intro works very well and it has some of the best storytelling. Cool solos and overall a monster of a track!

#4 The Talisman - I tend to think of TFF as a less energetic album for some reason, but The Talisman just proves this notion wrong. The verses are intense and the lyrics are great. I love the strummed guitar, I think it gives the song just the right atmosphere of a dangerous voyage. The prechorus parts are fantastic and the song just builds up this suspense until Bruce releases it in the chorus with one of his best wails! Amazing solo part and back for another round. Other than a lackluster intro, this is a perfect song.

#71 The Clairvoyant - I really like the bass here, and the chorus is classic. Just another great song from SSOASS, though I'm surprised to see it so high up.

#10 Hell on Earth - I'm really not big on Senjutsu. I have only one other song from it on my list at #74. Imagine my surprise after the relatively disappointing first 70 minutes to be hit with this beast! It just has everything. The gallop is back big time, good melodies and fantastic lyrics (I think this is the time to say I agree with you a lot Elite. I dread for the world too in a very similar way and I hate that we don't really have the power to stop it from going to shit, which in turn makes me feel that I'm part of the problem.)
The guitar going left to right at 4:30. The chorus is fantastic. The song slowing down as the solo begins is hands down one of the best moments in any Maiden song. The "love in anger" part is very powerful. It might be the single most dynamic song of them all.

#48 Fear of the Dark - yes, it would be much higher had I not ranked based on the album versions only. What can I say? This is one of signature Maiden songs. Banger riff and very memorable solos and bridge. I actually like the lyrics quite a bit too.

#29 For the Greater Good of God - one of many great songs from AMOLAD. The kick drum hitting 1/8th note in the verses makes it very heavy imo. Gigantic song. Very heavy instrumental part. The choruses are kind of repetitive.

#36 Stranger in a Strange Land - this is one of the losers. It used to be my #3, but I guess I overplayed it. It's still one of their finer songs with a great main riff and prechorus. And there's a serious case being made for this solo being the greatest Maiden solo. It's not a very complicated one but damnit it's just perfect.

#23 Alexander the Great - the intro is very effective and it has some very cool harmonies. The instrumental part is what really sells me. It's just blissful. The lyrics are infamously not exactly penned with the singer in mind... Also, "he died of fever in Babylon" doesn't really work as a last line to such an epic song  :rollin

#17 To Tame a Land - that's a surprising amount of #1 finishes. As others have said, great use of phrygian sounds. Very strong bass. I really love Bruce here too despite the lyrics, like in ATG, being kind of busy. The buildup and the following instrumental parts are crazy good. I'm not suggesting it should, but I think this is one of the Maiden songs that could maybe be even longer.

#77 The Trooper - got knocked out of the list last minute. I love the riff and the gallop like everyone, but there are too many good songs.

#80 Children of the Damned - feel bad about leaving it out. Such an epic song, and it's only 4:35. The fast part is the definition of face-melting. Which is appropriate, because there's literally face-melting in this song  ;)

#78 Sea of Madness - now THIS is the biggest loser of the relistening. It was my #4 for a long time. Exciting song with a beautiful bridge part, but since Senjutsu came out it's just middling for me. Bittersweet to see it so high.

#11 Sign of the Cross - listen, I love Blaze. And this more "doomy" song is just perfect for his singing. Love the rhythm section here. Long and plodding song, in the best way possible.

Offline The Realm

« Reply #1397 on: July 08, 2022, 07:34:44 AM »

Where did I say I was surprised to see it this high?

Sorry I am just assuming because you clearly don’t like it but yes I guess you did never say it. Where is my apology for missing me as the highest ranker of Children of the Dammed? 😋

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #1398 on: July 08, 2022, 08:54:49 AM »
Great batch of songs!

I had Children of the Damned at 7, Sea of Madness at 42, and Sign of the Cross at 18 (incidentally, not my favorite song from TXF).

Children of the Damned is stunning. On any given day, it could be my favorite from TNotB.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline nick_z

Re: Official top 75 Iron Maiden songs thread!! (Countdown is now going!)
« Reply #1399 on: July 08, 2022, 09:10:42 AM »

As for me, with doing the updates and whatnot, I haven't really been tracking how many of my songs are making it, but I can say that when looking at the top 20 right now, 19 of the 20 made my top 75.  :hat :hat

I’m actually fascinated that one song in the top 20 didn’t even make your list at all. Now I’m really curious. :corn

I reckon the answer to that is pretty easy if you think about how much Kev likes/dislikes Blaze's vocals....

Yep, and now we have confirmation  :biggrin:

Kev, looking at the-list-no-else-had-access-to, would you say there are any "stunners", in your view? Both as songs you'd have expected to be there but aren't, and vice versa? I know you had mentioned a song a few pages ago that you were shocked wasn't showing up in many lists...

Just curious (without naming any names of course), so you can build some further anticipation  ;)