Author Topic: Official top 75 Iron Maiden songs thread!! (Top 2 revealed on 07/15!!)  (Read 55869 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: Official top 75 Iron Maiden songs thread!! (Countdown is now going!)
« Reply #1295 on: July 06, 2022, 05:22:47 AM »
Okay, my Bran Flakes have been eaten, so I can post today's update now. ;)

This is my kind of update, as all three songs were in my top 10, and I was the highest ranker on two of them!

23 For the Greater Good of God
Appeared on 22 of 27 entrees
Top 10 finishes: 4
Highest Ranking: 7 (425)

Great, great song. I had it at 9.  I think this is the best song they've done since the 80s.

22 Stranger in a Stranger Land
Top 10 finishes: 2
Highest Ranking: 5 (KevShmev)

I see this always being a top 5 song for me. Killer from start to finish, from that meaty riff to that soaring chorus to that killer instrumental section.  This is the band firing on all cylinders.

21 Alexander the Great
Appeared on 20 of 27 entrees
Highest Ranking: 7 (KevShmev)

I have to admit that I am stunned at how underrated this seems to be by both fans and the band.  Apparently the band has never played it live? That is a major wtf. And then it was left off seven lists here?  Good gracious.  I listened to it yesterday with the "am I overrating this a bit?" thought in my end, and when it was over, I was like, nope, I am not.  It's bad ass from start to finish.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #1296 on: July 06, 2022, 05:51:30 AM »
I'm with ya Kev, I had Stranger at 10 and Alexander at 12. This is starting to get into major wtf territory that both these songs were left off so many lists.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #1297 on: July 06, 2022, 06:08:43 AM »
Wow, Kev, I'm with you too, sort of.

Shocking that Alexander only has 2 top 10 finishes. I had it at 10, and it could easily have moved up a couple spots on a different day. I have no idea what that's about. It seems like the sort of song that should be someone's favorite IM song, or at the very least in a few top 5s.

As for the other two, I had FtGGoG at 65 and SiaSL at 74. Good songs for sure, but nowhere near my favorites on their respective albums.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1298 on: July 06, 2022, 06:32:03 AM »
15 Hell on Earth - As MirrorMask says (where is he, incidentally?!), one of Maiden's best choruses and they only sing it once. Travesty. I love this song. Even wish it was longer.

9 Fear of the Duck - Little bit surprised I rated it as high as this but it's not that far off. It's a great tune, diminished by its overplaying and I think that's reflected in the consensus ranking.

35 For the Greater Good of God - Possibly my favourite from A Matter of Life and Death although I (erroneously) ranked The Legacy 12 spots higher. Pretty sure we're done with A Matter of Life and Death now.

14 Stranger in a Strange Land - Oh, that solo! Probably the best breakdown and solo in any Iron Maiden song or indeed any other song. It's that good. I had this in the top ten at one point but it dropped a few spots when I did one final run through of my top 20 in the ranking engine.

57 Alexander the Great - Never entirely understood many fans' obsession with this one. Wonder if it's partly because, at least with long-time fans, it's never been played live? Anyway, it's a good song but what singer would want to get through all those horrendously phrased lyrics, eh?

We're really into the good stuff now, aren't we?
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline Dave_Manchester

« Reply #1299 on: July 06, 2022, 06:40:23 AM »
For The Greater Good of God: #68. The last of my 4 selections from AMOLAD. Another nice multi-part mini-epic.

Stranger in a Strange Land: #24.

Alexander the Great: #8. Add me to the list of folk who are surprised at how relatively low this tune has appeared. Prior to Project Relisten I thought this would end up being my #1. Perhaps the only quibble I have with the song is the awkward 'Wikipedia article' style of the lyrics, but musically this is top-notch stuff, and is also the clear winner of the Greatest Song By A Band That Has Never Been Played Live award. 

My list so far in descending order:

#74: If Eternity Should Fail
#72: Run to the Hills
#68: For The Greater Good of God
#66: The Longest Day
#65: Brighter Than A Thousand Suns
#64: Only The Good Die Young
#63: Still Life
#61: Empire of the Clouds
#60: The Clairvoyant
#59: The Evil That Men Do
#56: These Colours Don't Run
#54: Can I Play With Madness
#53: Remember Tomorrow
#52: Judas Be My Guide
#51: Blood Brothers
#49: The Prisoner
#41: Rainmaker
#40: The Clansman
#37: 2 Minutes To Midnight
#36: Montsegur
#34: The Wicker Man
#29: The Parchment
#25: Hell on Earth
#24: Stranger in a Strange Land
#22: Heaven Can Wait
#21: Starblind
#20: Coming Home
#18: The Red and the Black
#15: The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner
#13: Ghost of the Navigator
#11: Fear of the Dark
#10: 22 Acacia Avenue
#8: Alexander the Great
#6: No Prayer for the Dying
#4: When The Wild Wind Blows
#3: Dance of Death
#1: Afraid To Shoot Strangers

Not ranked:

Death of the Celts
The Duellists
Out of the Silent Planet
The Reincarnation of Benjamin Breeg
Deja-Vu
Prodigal Son
Wrathchild
Brave New World
The Nomad
Killers
The Thin Line Between Love and Hate
Dream of Mirrors
Isle of Avalon
Lord of Light
The Book of Souls
Murders in the Rue Morgue
The Legacy
The Talisman

Ranked/Unranked split: 37/18

Online nick_z

« Reply #1300 on: July 06, 2022, 07:29:37 AM »
For the Greater Good of God (#59)

An early favorite on AMOLAD, over time it hasn't quite reached "greatness" status. I don't know, perhaps it's a tad too long for what's going on in it. I do remember enjoying it on the tour for the album, when they played the whole thing. The vocal lines are wonderful. The instrumental section is generally not one my very favorites, BUT the way it releases at the end is beautiful.

Stranger in a Stranger Land (#69)

In retrospect, I think I should've ranked this higher. It's maybe a little unfair, as Somewhere in Time is one of my favorite Maiden albums, and this song just happens to rank lower than others within it. Glad to see it's so high on the list anyway, I wasn't necessarily expecting that. It's a cool song, different than usual Maiden. There are spots where the vibes weirdly remind me of the Blue Oyster Cult's Imaginos album.

Alexander the Great (#42)

I really like the song, but I'm not necessarily in the "absolutely-love-it" camp. I do think there's a certain mystique around it because it has never been played live, but still - it's a great tune. Lots of epic melodies, and the whole section starting around the 4-minute mark is wonderful.

With the top 20 coming up, my ranked/unranked split currently sits at 45/10

Looking at my top 20, 6 songs have already been revealed. I would think the remaining 14 would be in the aggregate top 20 too, but there are a couple that might not make it...

Offline Deadeye21

• 30 years say we’re in this together
« Reply #1301 on: July 06, 2022, 08:16:00 AM »
I really need to do my whole list. Sorry Kev!
Let's go with a P for Deadeye has premature alphabetejaculation.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #1302 on: July 06, 2022, 09:20:06 AM »
It's always great to see appreciation for the songs from Somewhere in time. I'm particularly happy that Stranger ended up so high.  :tup

Getting into top 20, this is exciting.  :metal

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1303 on: July 06, 2022, 09:23:36 AM »

21 Alexander the Great

I had For The Greater Good Of God at #14. This is one of my favorite Reunion Era tracks. So glad they played it on the Legacy Of The Beast tour. It was so awesome!

I had Stranger In A Strange Land at #72. This is a good song. I love the verses, and the solo is great too. Just too many good songs though.

I had Alexander The Great at #85. This just missed my countdown. I definitely enjoy it, but I've never found it to be such all kinds of awesome that others seem to do. Maybe because it's never been played live, there's this romanticism about it. I find a lot of it kind of clunky, honestly. When it does groove, it's excellent, but compared to Infinite Dreams and Seventh Son, this feels like a rough draft.

I also want to say that of all of their albums, Somewhere In Time has aged the worst for me.

So far...

72 Stranger In A Strange Land
70 Afraid to Shoot Strangers
68 The Nomad
62 Judas Be My Guide
58 Montesegur
57 Still Life
56 Blood Brothers
54 Brighter Than A Thousand Suns
53 Empire Of The Clouds
50 The Evil That Men Do
48 Heaven Can Wait
43 Brave New World
42 The Thin Line Between Love And Hate
38 Run To The Hills
32 2 Minutes To Midnight
29 The Duellists
26 Hell On Earth
24 When The Wild Wind Blows
23 The Red And The Black
21 Murders In The Rue Morgue
20 The Prisoner
19 The Clansman
18 Remember Tomorrow
17 No Prayer for the Dying
16 Dance Of Death
15 Lord Of Light
14 For The Greater Good Of God
13 The Book Of Souls
11 Coming Home
8 The Parchment
7 The Talisman
6 22 Acacia Avenue
2 Fear Of The Dark

-------------------

Not Ranked

77 Starblind
79 The Legacy
82 The Longest Day
83 Isle Of Avalon
85 Alexander The Great
87 Deja Vu
90 Rainmaker
92 If Eternity Should Fail
94 Only the Good Die Young
97 Dream Of Mirrors
101 The Wicker Man
105 Killers
106 Death of the Celts

NR These Colours Don't Run
NR Ghost Of The Navigator
NR The Clairvoyant
NR Prodigal Son
NR Wratchchild
NR Can I Play with Madness
NR The Reincarnation of Benjamin Breeg
NR Out of the Silent Planet
NR The Loneliness Of The Long Distance Runner

My split is 33/22
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1304 on: July 06, 2022, 10:36:33 AM »
25. Hell on Earth - Didn't rank.  I'd compare it to And Justice for All by Metallica.  There good stuff here, but the song needed editing.  AJFA could do with being a couple minutes shorter, and HOE would probably be a killer 7 minute song.

24. Fear of the Dark - I had it at #21, so pretty close.  For a LONG time, this was the last Maiden song I really loved.

23. For the Greater Good of God - I had it at #59, which is probably higher than I'd have had it if I paid more attention tot he bottom third of my rankings.  Another song desperately in need of editing.

22. Strangers in a Strange Land - This was my #30 song.  I feel like this song flew under the radar a bit.  Not sure why.  It's a more mid-tempo song than Maiden typically did at the time, but it's really good and with excellent lyrics by Adrian Smith.  Even worse:  aside from a half dozen dates in 1999, this song hasn't been played since the SIT tour....  Dafuq?!

21. Alexander the Great - I had this song at #17, which I think is too high.  I go back and forth with it.  Overall, it's a really good song, but the lyrics are somewhat insipid.  "Alexander did a bunch of stuff....and then he kicked this guy's ass....and then he went somewhere else...and then he kicked another guys ass....and then he kicked the first guy's ass...and then he died."  I think it's probably overrated for the simple fact that it never got played live (Tim beat me to it with this point), and I'm surprised at how surprised some folks are that this isn't higher.

And we have a new leader in the clubhouse.  Big moves are a-comin'.

1. A Matter of Life and Death:  7 songs/218 points – The Reincarnation of Benjamin Breeg (#71), These Colours Don’t Run (#65), Lord of Light (#49), The Longest Day (#43), Brighter Than a Thousand Suns (#33), The Legacy (#30), For the Greater Good of God (#23)

2. Brave New World:  8 songs/186 points – Out of the Silent Planet (#70), Brave New World (#60), The Wicker Man (#58), The Nomad (#56), The Thin Line Between Love and Hate (#53), Dream of Mirrors (#52), Blood Brothers (#44), Ghost of the Navigator (#29)

3. The Final Frontier:  5 songs/182 points – Isle of Avalon (#51), Starblind (#47), Coming Home (#37), When the Wild Wind Blows (#36), The Talisman (#27)

4. Somewhere in Time:  5 songs/155 points – Déjà Vu (#68), Heaven Can Wait (#66), The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner (#48), Stranger in a Strange Land (#22), Alexander the Great (#21)

5. The Book of Souls:  4 songs/121 points – If Eternity Should Fail (#64), The Book of Souls (#46), The Red and the Black (#42), Empire of the Clouds (#31)

6. The Number of the Beast:  3 songs/117 points – Run to the Hills (#41), 22 Acacia Avenue (#38), The Prisoner (#32)

7. Seventh Son of a Seventh Son:  4 songs/107 points – Can I Play with Madness (#73), Only the Good Die Young (#59), The Evil That Men Do (#39), The Clairvoyant (#26)

8. Killers:  4 songs/80 points – Prodigal Son (#63), Wrathchild (#62), Killers (#54), Murders in the Rue Morgue (#45)

9. Dance of Death:  3 songs/78 points – Rainmaker (#72), Montsegur (#50), Dance of Death (#28)

10. Powerslave:  2 song/44 points – The Duellists (#74), 2 Minutes to Midnight (#34)

11. Senjutsu:  3 songs/93 points – Death of the Celts (#75), The Parchment (#35), Hell on Earth (#25)

12. Fear of the Dark:  3 songs/76 points – Judas Be My Guide (#67), Afraid to Shoot Strangers (#61), Fear of the Dark (#24)

13. Virtual XI:  1 song/36 points – The Clansman (#40)

14. Iron Maiden:  1 song/21 points – Remember Tomorrow (#55)

15. Piece of Mind:  1 song/19 points – Still Life (#57)

16. No Prayer for the Dying:  1 song/7 points – No Prayer for the Dying (#69)

17. The X Factor:
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline 425

« Reply #1305 on: July 06, 2022, 11:24:58 AM »
Just in case anyone was wondering about my absence, just wanted to provide an update that I’m out of town on a business trip and haven’t ended up having the time to look at DTF at all. I’ll get caught up over the weekend, but right now I’m not even looking at the thread to avoid spoilers.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1306 on: July 06, 2022, 11:40:44 AM »
I’m 95% sure I’ve figured out 16 of the remaining 20. What the other 4 could be have me baffled.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #1307 on: July 06, 2022, 02:10:16 PM »
For The Greater Good Of God (#69)
Very good song with a great instrumental at 4:52.

Stranger In A Strange Land (#20)                     
How cool Maiden could sound doing such a commercial song? Brilliant!

Alexander The Great (-)                                 
I think it’s a good, well crafted song with interesting instrumental work, but I always felt that it drags a bit and Bruce’s vocals sounds a bit… not so pleasant, I guess.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2022, 06:02:14 PM by devieira73 »
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline Glasser

« Reply #1308 on: July 06, 2022, 02:39:53 PM »
3 songs from Piece of Mind are in my top 10.

Being Maiden fans are multi generational, its really tough to guess what number 1 will be. Maybe its a "human number" but we will all find out "somewhere in time" soon.  ::)

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1309 on: July 06, 2022, 03:28:36 PM »
Six of my top-20 have been revealed:

9.   22 Acacia Avenue (collective #38)
12. Murders in the Rue Morgue (collective #45)
16. Deja Vu (collective #68)
17. Alexander the Great (collective #21)
19. The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner (collective #48)
20. Prodigal Son (collective #63)

I think 12 of my remaining 14 top-20 songs (all of which are pre-NPFTD) will make the collective top-20.  I'm virtually certain about 2 of the other 8 and pretty sure about another 3, so that leave 3 that I think will surprise me.

Being Maiden fans are multi generational, its really tough to guess what number 1 will be. Maybe its a "human number" but we will all find out "somewhere in time" soon.  ::)

I'm reasonably confident that none of my top-5 will be #1.  Beyond that, heck if I know.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline The Realm

« Reply #1310 on: July 06, 2022, 04:23:42 PM »

21 Alexander the Great

Well, we are getting very serious now.

For The Greater Good of God - 54 for me. There are some really amazing melodies in this song and lots to love and I don't have an issue at all with it ranking so high but it is just a bit too repetitive. I really wish the chorus etc wasn't repeated the 8 times and just done 4 times it is really unnecessary.

Stranger in a Strange Land - 36 for me. Somewhere in Time is my second favourite Maiden album and while I love the songs the real stand out on this album is the guitar playing. The solos on this album are incredible and that includes this one. Adrian especially was firing on all cylinders here. I could easily have ranked this and Alexander higher but the 3 songs still to come from this album are my 3 favourites so this and Alexander ended up getting shuffled down a little lower than deserved.

Alexander the Great - 31 for me. I can clearly remember many years ago playing trivial pursuit with my family at Christmas time and this question came up 'Where did Alexander the Great die?" So I sang the answer back....Love the intro for this song and the middle/solo section has some really interesting parts. This song deserved to be on 27 lists.

Offline Dave_Manchester

« Reply #1311 on: July 06, 2022, 04:27:55 PM »
Does anyone have a Bingo line on your lists yet? By which I mean all your songs from, say, the 30s, 40s, 50s have appeared? I notice TAC just needs his #12 pick to appear to complete the teens, and I'm just a couple away from completing the 60s.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1312 on: July 06, 2022, 04:33:14 PM »
Does anyone have a Bingo line on your lists yet? By which I mean all your songs from, say, the 30s, 40s, 50s have appeared? I notice TAC just needs his #12 pick to appear to complete the teens, and I'm just a couple away from completing the 60s.

Not only will my #12 appear, but I'm fully confident the rest of my Top 10 will as well.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #1313 on: July 06, 2022, 04:34:04 PM »

Great, great song. I had it at 9.  I think this is the best song they've done since the 80s.

I see this always being a top 5 song for me. Killer from start to finish, from that meaty riff to that soaring chorus to that killer instrumental section.  This is the band firing on all cylinders.

21 Alexander the Great

I have to admit that I am stunned at how underrated this seems to be by both fans and the band.  Apparently the band has never played it live? That is a major wtf. And then it was left off seven lists here?  Good gracious.  I listened to it yesterday with the "am I overrating this a bit?" thought in my end, and when it was over, I was like, nope, I am not.  It's bad ass from start to finish.
For the Greater Good of God - This was my #12. Such a fantastic song. It's what made me fall in love with AMoLad and is my favorite song from that album. Epic!

Stranger in a Strange Land - I had this at #25 and it might be a few spots too high, but pretty close to the consensus. I love the chorus for some reason and it's always fun to sing along to.

Alexander the Great - As far as their "epics" go, this isn't their best, however, I still rated it at #20 (only 1 spot off). It's a great song full of great melodies. There have been several mention of the lyrics and that is also a sticking point with me. They just read as very dry and clinical.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1314 on: July 06, 2022, 04:34:31 PM »
FTGGOF - 9 - Classic Harris at his very best yet again.  I love this track.  The lyrics, the melodies, the atmosphere, it's just incredible.  The verses are so good too.  Great solos during that heavy mid section too.

Stranger - 42 - Adrian's solo makes this song for me, but I love the whole AOR vibe.  You can see Adrian's writing was focused right in on the time of the 80's.  Love the synths and the riff itself is very interesting.  Nevertheless, one of Adrian's finest moments.

ATG - 39 - The enigma that is ATG.  never played live as we all know and that's a shame.  The melodies for Bruce are a bit awkward, but it's not a big issue for me.  Epic solos in this one, and love that progressive 7/8 section in the middle.  A bit of prog in this one sees Maiden expanding themselves.  Wish we saw more of that.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline The Realm

« Reply #1315 on: July 06, 2022, 04:56:29 PM »

I don't currently but I fully expect to with my top 10 (9 songs still to come which will be there) and my 11 to 20 (6 songs still to come). From 21 to 30 it looks like I will miss 1 song.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1316 on: July 06, 2022, 05:00:50 PM »

Not only will my #12 appear, but I'm fully confident the rest of my Top 10 will as well.

I haven't followed my list against the official one.  Eyeballing though, it's not going that great and a lot of songs will miss out.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1317 on: July 06, 2022, 05:01:33 PM »

Not yet, but I think I have a reasonable chance of ending up with two.

My 1-10:  1 song revealed so fair; reasonably certain that the other 9 will be in the collective top 20.

My 11-20:  5 songs revealed so far.  I'm all but certain that 3 of the remaining 5 will not be on the collective list and am 100% confident the other 2 will.

My 21-30:  7 songs revealed so far.  I'm almost certain the other 3 will be in the collective top 20.

My 31-40:  2 songs revealed so far.  I'm pretty sure 3 of the remaining songs will make the collective top 20 and anywhere from pretty sure to 100% certain that the other 5 won't.

My 41-50:  7 songs revealed so far.  No chance of the other 3 making the collective top 20.

My 51-60:  4 songs revealed so far.  No chance of the other 6 making the collective top 20 (much to the Sheriff's chagrin).

My 61-75:  7 revealed so far.  Outside chance that 1 of the other 8 makes the collective top 20.  No chance for any of the others.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1318 on: July 06, 2022, 05:30:33 PM »

Your head is gonna explode when your number 1 doesn't make the top 75. :P

As for me, with doing the updates and whatnot, I haven't really been tracking how many of my songs are making it, but I can say that when looking at the top 20 right now, 19 of the 20 made my top 75.  :hat :hat

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1319 on: July 06, 2022, 05:39:57 PM »

As for me, with doing the updates and whatnot, I haven't really been tracking how many of my songs are making it, but I can say that when looking at the top 20 right now, 19 of the 20 made my top 75.  :hat :hat

I’m actually fascinated that one song in the top 20 didn’t even make your list at all. Now I’m really curious. :corn

Offline Glasser

« Reply #1320 on: July 06, 2022, 05:43:48 PM »
When this is all said and done will we be in Marshall law?  :lol:corn

Offline The Realm

« Reply #1321 on: July 06, 2022, 05:47:57 PM »

I’m actually fascinated that one song in the top 20 didn’t even make your list at all. Now I’m really curious. :corn

I reckon the answer to that is pretty easy if you think about how much Kev likes/dislikes Blaze's vocals....

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1322 on: July 06, 2022, 06:25:40 PM »
When this is all said and done will we be in Marshall law:lol:corn

I used to love that show.

:metal

Offline Glasser

« Reply #1323 on: July 06, 2022, 07:06:56 PM »
If any Blaze songs finished in anyone's top 10 will they be banned for life plus 75?  :lol

Kidding.  :)
« Last Edit: July 06, 2022, 10:58:47 PM by Glasser »

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1324 on: July 06, 2022, 08:38:46 PM »
With the top 20 approaching, some fun facts about the remaining songs...

-10 of the 20 songs finished at number 1 on at least one list
-only two songs appeared on all 27 lists
-every song still to come finished in the top 3 of at least one list...except one song (that song's high finish was number 5)

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Official top 75 Iron Maiden songs thread!! (Top 20 starts on 07/07!)
« Reply #1325 on: July 06, 2022, 10:03:25 PM »
As with the Rush countdown, I wouldn't bet any amount of money at any odds on what number one is going to be.

I'm out of town and don't recall my list aside from the top two, which I haven't seen yet, but have to believe will still make an appearance, though I can't imagine will be the consensus #1 or #2.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1326 on: July 06, 2022, 10:49:29 PM »
Okay, my Bran Flakes have been eaten, so I can post today's update now. ;)

This is my kind of update, as all three songs were in my top 10, and I was the highest ranker on two of them!

21 Alexander the Great

For the Greater Good of God - Me #11

The Legacy is my favorite from AMOLAD, but this and Brighter had to fight it out for 2nd place. In the end, Brighter won out by a hair, but it’s honestly a coin toss. Fantastic epic with a beautiful soaring chorus. I like that the “song title chorus” is almost a secondary chorus to the “please tell me now what life is” which is slightly more varied.

Stranger in a Strange Land - Me #36

Another example of a very tasteful use of guitar synths. It was so jarring when it first came out, but it still sounds so HEAVY! One of SIT’s best.

Alexander the Great - Me #71

As many have said. The music is very good, and time has been very kind to it. But the nature of the lyrics kill all the emotion and I think even Bruce’s delivery reflects that. It’s musically really well done, but it does feel lifeless. If I had to do it over, this would be my top choice for trading off the list for something more worthy that just missed out.

Offline The Realm

« Reply #1327 on: July 07, 2022, 12:07:08 AM »

-every song still to come finished in the top 3 of at least one list...except one song (that song's high finish was number 5)

This comment gets me every time (ie has been similar in all the countdowns so far). Just so hard to actually believe this, on the surface you would think Maiden have at least 10 songs that everyone would unanimously say is in their top 75 song but apparently not.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1328 on: July 07, 2022, 12:51:16 AM »

This comment gets me every time (ie has been similar in all the countdowns so far). Just so hard to actually believe this, on the surface you would think Maiden have at least 10 songs that everyone would unanimously say is in their top 75 song but apparently not.

And yet the VERY NEXT factoid gives us a seemingly opposite message.

This has been my favorite countdown by far. And I’m not even sure IM is a top 10 band for me. (Though they are surely top 20)

Offline Tomislav95

Re: Official top 75 Iron Maiden songs thread!! (Top 20 starts on 07/07!)
« Reply #1329 on: July 07, 2022, 01:16:15 AM »
10   For the Greater Good of God
The one that got me into "newer" Maiden, still one of my favorites. I was so glad I heard it on Legacy of the beast tour, it works so well live imho. It's emotional yet bombastic, with repeated chorus which works in favour of it.

14   Stranger in a Strange Land
I don't remember putting it this high :lol but yeah, it's song from my favorite IM album, love (almost) all of them and this is no exception. Has special feeling among their tunes.

37   Alexander the Great
Just epic and huge.
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...