Author Topic: Official top 75 Iron Maiden songs thread!! (Top 2 revealed on 07/15!!)  (Read 55932 times)

Offline pg1067

Re: Official top 75 Iron Maiden songs thread!! (Countdown is now going!)
« Reply #1155 on: July 02, 2022, 10:17:10 PM »
I think Piece of Mind will contain the most 'shocks', in the sense of being under-represented on the list (to a lot of 'old-school' Maiden fans PoM is their masterpiece - at least that was the thinking when I was growing up in 80s England - but I've noticed that many fans who discovered the band only recently/post-reunion don't rate it all that highly).

Piece of Mind - yeah you could be right but it is a tough album to read among the group of voters. I think at least 3 more songs from the album but could be up to 5..

I'd be absolutely gob-smacked if POM doesn't have five more entries and very disappointed if it doesn't have seven more.  I'd say five is most likely; six is next most likely; followed by fewer than five and seven having about the same likelihood.  Eight ain't happening, but I'd be pleasantly surprised if it did.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline The Realm

« Reply #1156 on: July 02, 2022, 11:41:51 PM »
I think Piece of Mind will contain the most 'shocks', in the sense of being under-represented on the list (to a lot of 'old-school' Maiden fans PoM is their masterpiece - at least that was the thinking when I was growing up in 80s England - but I've noticed that many fans who discovered the band only recently/post-reunion don't rate it all that highly).

Piece of Mind - yeah you could be right but it is a tough album to read among the group of voters. I think at least 3 more songs from the album but could be up to 5..

I'd be absolutely gob-smacked if POM doesn't have five more entries and very disappointed if it doesn't have seven more.  I'd say five is most likely; six is next most likely; followed by fewer than five and seven having about the same likelihood.  Eight ain't happening, but I'd be pleasantly surprised if it did.

I don't think there is any chance Piece of Mind has any more than 6 songs remaining. That is the absolute max. There are 2 songs on the album that have no chance of being this high in the countdown and remember 1 song has already been revealed. So that leaves 6 others and I'm not convinced all 6 of them make it even though they are all on my list.

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1157 on: July 02, 2022, 11:42:16 PM »
The X Factor - I think this album is 100% guaranteed be represented. There is one song that is very much loved among enough of the participants, could even rank very high...(just the one song though)

Virtual XI - is done I reckon. Just the one song.

I'd be surprised if there isn't one more song from The X Factor, I agree. Also agree regarding Virtual XI given people's general comments on it even though I personally had five tracks from it in my 75.

As we said pages back regarding one of the statistics that was shared, the amount of diversity across the included lists is brilliant.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline Shalev Amir

• Shmoolikipod
« Reply #1158 on: July 03, 2022, 01:06:09 AM »
#123 Run to the Hills - yeah, I'm in the "overplayed thistle" camp. Good gallop but don't care for it much nowadays.

#102 The Clansman - I have a representative from VXI in my list but it isn't it. It actually finished 4th from the album for me which is quite shocking. Good song overall but I don't like Blaze here too much.

#62 The Evil That Men Do - didn't realize it actually made my list. I like it, but feel like it hinges too much on the chorus.

#111 22 Acacia Avenue - surprisingly complex song honestly. It used to be my favourite from TNOTB but I didn't like it as much upon relistening. The solos are still fire though.

#72 Coming Home - beautiful ballad. Yeah, it feels like it should be cheesy but Bruce nails it with his emotional singing and the lyrics are actually very well written. It always reminded me of his solo song Chemical Wedding. I'm also shocked it ranker higher than both Isle of Avalon and Starblind?!

#63 When the Wild Wind Blows - this song always had one thing going against it for me: It was just too much after 4 epics on the album and I always zoned out when I got to it. It's great but still only came 7th from the album in my list.

#79 The Parchment - this is a weird one because I usually really like those epic buildups, but the solos here just don't grab me by the throat. But the verse buildup is epic and the climax is glorius. Also, my least favourite trope in all of metal is following the climax with a "hard rocking riff". Think The Dark Eternal Night or Rosetta Stoned. It's as bad here because 1) The song definitely can't just end with the "meet me there", unlike TDEN with its unnecessary outro, and 2) It's not as out of place because I have no idea how else you'd follow it. But it still loses the song some points. Definitely a grower though and I can see it climbing much higher one day.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #1159 on: July 03, 2022, 01:33:16 AM »

But I want Quest for Fire up high :(
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1160 on: July 03, 2022, 04:05:57 AM »
22 Acacia Avenue:  Musically, it covers a lot of ground in a 6 minute song.   

It sure does!

It kind of does, but is still quite simple.  Standard E minor, but the riffing just rips.  That middle riff is very busy.  It almost reminds me of War Pigs that way it's played, the rhythm guitar in this song is quite relentless.

There's little things too like the little chromatic thing going into the 'meet a lady that I know,' line in the riff.  Also that 6 note passage going into the breakdown for Dave's solo is interesting.  It repeats that passage but has an F that kicks the passage off, which isn't in the E minor key, which surprisingly works well.  The band climax together at the end and I'd have to listen but there's I think a nice pedal point section during Adrian's solo which builds a lot of tension with the guitars towards the end of the song. 

Edit:  The pedal is actually the riff listening back and 'Arry goes down the E/D/C progression.  Very nice.

Really nice stuff musically indeed in this one.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2022, 05:54:33 AM by wolfking »
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #1161 on: July 03, 2022, 05:20:29 AM »

I like QFF too! I strongly believe there will be 5 more songs from POM. 3 from TNOTB. 4 from Powerslave. 4 or 5 from SiT. At least 3 from SSoaSS. 3 from the 90s and the rest from the reunion era.

@Puppies_on_Acid: you’re welcome  :tup

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #1162 on: July 03, 2022, 05:27:31 AM »
Yeah, at least 5 from PoM doesn't seem too far-fetched to be honest. I doubt Quest for Fire will make it (which I have on my list), but I have five others there as well of which some I think definitely need to show up.

It wouldn't surprise me to see a bunch of 80's songs coming up soon actually with how far we are into the countdown.

I also fear/feel that my personal #18, #16, #10 and #5 will not be coming at all.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1163 on: July 03, 2022, 06:11:04 AM »
Kev, would I be out of line to ask if you will do another countdown? And if so, who do you think?

Not your thing, but Porcupine Tree is tentatively slated to be next, but I still have to get a sense for how many will actually submit a list as I am not doing a countdown unless I know the interest is there from a lot of people to participate (doing a countdown based off 10 lists or less for example feels like a waste of time).  DT, Rush and Maiden are probably the three most talked about bands here, so not sure who else would garner enough interest to get a lot of participants.  Metallica maybe, but I would have not a ton of interest in doing them at this time, as my headspace is not even close to them right now.
I would 100% participate in a Porcupine Tree countdown. Been one of my favorite bands for almost 20 years now. They also have a ton of b-sides. Looks like I'll need to compile another list for you  :biggrin:

:tup :tup

Oh I think you'd get a lot for Porcupine Tree, or even Neal Morse.

That's the hope!  :tup :tup

Who were you hoping to see next or in the near future?

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1164 on: July 03, 2022, 06:14:27 AM »
And we keep moving along with Iron Maiden...

34 2 Minutes to Midnight
Appeared on 22 of 27 entrees
Top 10 finishes: 1
Highest Ranking: 9 (Elite)

I had this at 40, but I feel like I had a bit too high, almost like I gave a "it's on Powerslave" bump.  Damn good song, but I like many others more at this point.

33 Brighter Than a Thousand Sons
Appeared on 19 of 27 entrees
Top 10 finishes: 3
Highest Ranking: 5 (toro)

This one was a slow grower for me, but I am a big fan now. I had it at 31.

32 The Prisoner
Highest Ranking: 2 (Glasser)

This was a top 20 songs for me, landing at 19.  About time we are getting some Number of the Beast songs in this here countdown!

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #1165 on: July 03, 2022, 07:18:23 AM »
WOW!

Where others were surprised at 22 Acacia Avenue landing not as high as it did, to me 2 Minutes to Midnight not making it higher is a real shock. As well as me being the ONLY ONE with it in the top 10. That's seriously strange to me!

I did not rank either of the other 2 songs. I feel there's better songs on both albums they come from (and I did include 6 from AMOLAD and 5 from TNOTB).
Squ

Offline Shalev Amir

• Shmoolikipod
« Reply #1166 on: July 03, 2022, 08:11:21 AM »
#12 2 Minutes to Midnight - agree with you completely Elite, wtf? I expected it to land top 20 at least?! With more top 10 rankers. It's in a virtual tie with my #10 and #11.

I always loved this song. It has one of the most iconic riffs and an awesome solo section, not to mention everything else is gold. I have two PS songs higher than it so I'm kinda contradicting myself, but I always thought that of the 4 bookend songs, it gets kind of left behind by diehard fans compared to the other 3.

#20 Brighter Than a Thousand Suns - this was an early favourite for me and it still holds up. Arguably their heaviest song from their arguably heaviest album. Bruce in the intro gives me chills and that riff hits so hard. The fast part rips too.

I have two problems with the song:
1. Yes, lengthy repetitive buildup. Kinda fitting that it came close to The Parchment because the buildup being too long is my least favourite parts about both songs.
2. I hated the E=MC squared line. I hated it even more when I understood the pun  :lol

#135 The Prisoner - so low? Yes. Sorry, I treated this album poorly in the ranking. I just don't care for the song.

Offline nick_z

« Reply #1167 on: July 03, 2022, 08:48:34 AM »
2 Minutes to Midnight (#15)

A classic, and deservedly so (imo, of course  :)). Regardless of how many times the main riff has been used in hard rock/metal songs around that time, it's just iconic. And when the song gets going...so good. I LOVE the slower part, with Harris' bass and the melodic short leads, leading back to the main riff. I, too, was expecting this to be a little higher.

Brighter Than a Thousand Suns (Not in my top 75)

I had this at #95, close to where my rank for Benjamin Breeg was...which is interesting, considering they were both singles from AMOLAD. The mood of the song is pretty cool, and I like its heaviness, but it doesn't strike me as anything super-special. Even the tempo-change is not the greatest. It's interesting that it's so high in the aggregate - I didn't realize it was so well-regarded.

The Prisoner (#13)

Another fantastic one from The Number of the Beast. Just missed my top 10, but at this level we are talking metal classics regardless. Clive Burr's drum intro is SO good and then it's just an exhilarating ride. Love the open strings on the guitars in the chorus. So simple and so effective. And then again the solo break, with Clive's distinctive style accompanying the whole thing. Love this.

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #1168 on: July 03, 2022, 10:16:18 AM »
And we keep moving along with Iron Maiden...

34 2 Minutes to Midnight

I had this at 40, but I feel like I had a bit too high, almost like I gave a "it's on Powerslave" bump.  Damn good song, but I like many others more at this point.

This one was a slow grower for me, but I am a big fan now. I had it at 31.

32 The Prisoner

This was a top 20 songs for me, landing at 19.  About time we are getting some Number of the Beast songs in this here countdown!
2 Minutes to Midnight - This one just barely made the list at #74. Perhaps it could have been 10-15 spot higher. I don't know, Maiden has so much great music and this one has felt overplayed for some time now. Still, great riffs and solo passages.

Brighter Than a Thousand Suns - I had this at #13 and I was surprised to learn I wasn't the highest ranker. In my opinion there is only 1 better song on AMoLaD and only just barely. The way this song builds up into such a heavy hard hitting song is perfect.

The Prisoner - This came in at #17 and has always been a favorite on NotB. I love the interplay between the drums and guitar at the beginning and that chorus is infectiously singable.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Dave_Manchester

« Reply #1169 on: July 03, 2022, 10:26:51 AM »
2 Minutes to Midnight: #37. Iconic Maiden song, perhaps suffers a little on my list from over-familiarity. Like I wrote earlier, if the question were "essential Maiden tracks" (rather than "what do you like listehing to right now?") it'd be in the top 15 at least, and probably top 10.

Brighter Than A Thousand Suns: #65. The 3rd of 4 tracks I put forward from AMOLAD, the 4th I suspect is coming up soon.

The Prisoner: #49. Another good example of Maiden's skill in writing music to match the lyrics. I love the 'triumphant' chorus of this one. Concert story: when I saw Maiden in the 90s there was some nutter in front who took singing along to a whole new level by very loudly narrating every line of the intro dialogue, right down to the maniacal "HAHAHAHA!!!!!"

My list so far in descending order:

#74: If Eternity Should Fail
#72: Run to the Hills
#66: The Longest Day
#65: Brighter Than A Thousand Suns
#64: Only The Good Die Young
#63: Still Life
#59: The Evil That Men Do
#56: These Colours Don't Run
#54: Can I Play With Madness
#53: Remember Tomorrow
#52: Judas Be My Guide
#51: Blood Brothers
#49: The Prisoner
#41: Rainmaker
#40: The Clansman
#37: 2 Minutes To Midnight
#36: Montsegur
#34: The Wicker Man
#29: The Parchment
#22: Heaven Can Wait
#21: Starblind
#20: Coming Home
#18: The Red and the Black
#15: The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner
#10: 22 Acacia Avenue
#6: No Prayer for the Dying
#4: When The Wild Wind Blows
#1: Afraid To Shoot Strangers

Not ranked:

Death of the Celts
The Duellists
Out of the Silent Planet
The Reincarnation of Benjamin Breeg
Deja-Vu
Prodigal Son
Wrathchild
Brave New World
The Nomad
Killers
The Thin Line Between Love and Hate
Dream of Mirrors
Isle of Avalon
Lord of Light
The Book of Souls
Murders in the Rue Morgue

Ranked/Unranked split: 28/16
« Last Edit: July 03, 2022, 04:10:58 PM by Dave_Manchester »

Offline Glasser

« Reply #1170 on: July 03, 2022, 10:38:24 AM »
How about Ozzy, Dio, Black Sabbath? Unless I missed those?

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #1171 on: July 03, 2022, 10:49:55 AM »
2 Minutes to Midnight (#16)
I know the main riff was done before by a lot of bands, but I've heard first with Maiden and I think they made the best song out of it, no doubt. Also amazing instrumental/solo section in the middle!

Brighter Than a Thousand Suns (#14)
A classic modern day Maiden, very heavy and proggy. This one is good as the best moments from the classic era.

The Prisoner (#33)
Love Clive's intro and the overall vibe of the song, very nostalgic. I hear The Prisioner, 22 Acacia Avenue and Children of Dammed as mini epics in a very specific style that Maiden really only did in that album.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #1172 on: July 03, 2022, 10:55:01 AM »
It's great to see the amount of love Coming Home and When The Wild Wind Blows have been receiving. There are about 7 songs that I would be proud to call my favorite IM song, and Coming Home is definitely in that group. WtWWB is not far behind, ranked 13 on my list.

2 Minutes to Midnight: 61
Brighter Than A Thousand Suns: 57
The Prisoner: 67

These are all good songs. I feel somewhat bad for ranking 2 Minutes to Midnight and the Prisoner as low as I did, but ultimately this feels like a pretty accurate representation of how much I'm enjoy the songs at this moment in time.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #1173 on: July 03, 2022, 10:59:17 AM »
I'm genuinely shocked that I'm the only one who ranked The Prisoner in the top 10!   :facepalm:

I wonder who ranked it second highest??????

Offline nick_z

« Reply #1174 on: July 03, 2022, 11:01:58 AM »
The Prisoner (#33)
Love Clive's intro and the overall vibe of the song, very nostalgic. I hear The Prisioner, 22 Acacia Avenue and Children of Dammed as mini epics in a very specific style that Maiden really only did in that album.

100% agree. I always felt NOTB sounds pretty unique within their discography, and those songs are a big part of that.

Offline nick_z

« Reply #1175 on: July 03, 2022, 11:03:17 AM »
I'm genuinely shocked that I'm the only one who ranked The Prisoner in the top 10!   :facepalm:

I had it pretty close, at #13...

Offline Glasser

« Reply #1176 on: July 03, 2022, 11:12:36 AM »

I had it pretty close, at #13...

Very cool! It could be my favorite if I could have tied it with my top 3.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1177 on: July 03, 2022, 11:20:16 AM »
2 Minutes to Midnight - Definitely a strong song with those classic early/mid-'80s nuclear dread lyrics.  However, I have it as my #6 song on Powerslave (and #40 overall).

I did not rank Brighter Than a Thousand Suns.

The Prisoner - For quite a while, I didn't care for this song.  However, it came to grow on me.  It's still only my #5 song on the album, but it's 28 overall.  It's got a great groove.  One of these days I need to watch the show on which the song is based.  "Do it!"

If we'd been revealing my top 75, it would have been revealed today.

1. Brave New World:  7 songs/139 points – Out of the Silent Planet (#70), Brave New World (#60), The Wicker Man (#58), The Nomad (#56), The Thin Line Between Love and Hate (#53), Dream of Mirrors (#52), Blood Brothers (#44)

2. The Final Frontier:  4 songs/133 points – Isle of Avalon (#51), Starblind (#47), Coming Home (#37), When the Wild Wind Blows (#36)

3. A Matter of Life and Death:  5 songs/119 points – The Reincarnation of Benjamin Breeg (#71), These Colours Don’t Run (#65), Lord of Light (#49), The Longest Day (#43), Brighter Than a Thousand Suns (#33)

4. The Number of the Beast:  3 songs/117 points – Run to the Hills (#41), 22 Acacia Avenue (#38), The Prisoner (#32)

5. Killers:  4 songs/80 points – Prodigal Son (#63), Wrathchild (#62), Killers (#54), Murders in the Rue Morgue (#45)

6. The Book of Souls:  3 songs/76 points – If Eternity Should Fail (#64), The Book of Souls (#46), The Red and the Black (#42)

7. Seventh Son of a Seventh Son:  3 songs/57 points – Can I Play with Madness (#73), Only the Good Die Young (#59), The Evil That Men Do (#39)

8. Somewhere in Time:  3 songs/46 points – Déjà Vu (#68), Heaven Can Wait (#66), The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner (#48)

9. Powerslave:  2 song/44 points – The Duellists (#74), 2 Minutes to Midnight (#34)

10. Senjutsu:  2 song/42 points – Death of the Celts (#75), The Parchment (#35)

11. Virtual XI:  1 song/36 points – The Clansman (#40)

12. Dance of Death:  2 songs/30 points – Rainmaker (#72), Montsegur (#50)

13. Fear of the Dark:  2 songs/24 points – Judas Be My Guide (#67), Afraid to Shoot Strangers (#61)

14. Iron Maiden:  1 song/21 points – Remember Tomorrow (#55)

15. Piece of Mind:  1 song/19 points – Still Life (#57)

16. No Prayer for the Dying:  1 song/7 points – No Prayer for the Dying (#69)

17. The X Factor:
« Last Edit: July 03, 2022, 11:29:39 AM by pg1067 »
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1178 on: July 03, 2022, 11:33:01 AM »

??? ???

What post was this referencing?  I am confused. :lol :lol
« Last Edit: July 03, 2022, 12:07:36 PM by KevShmev »

Offline Mladen

« Reply #1179 on: July 03, 2022, 12:05:42 PM »
The Prisoner is just as good as the big ones on The Number of the beast. Such an underappreciated tune.

Brighter than a thousand suns is a modern day classic and it features what I think is the heaviest Iron Maiden riff ever. Find me a heavier riff of theirs.  :metal

Offline nick_z

« Reply #1180 on: July 03, 2022, 12:24:30 PM »

??? ???

Potential ideas for future countdowns, I presume?  :)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1181 on: July 03, 2022, 12:46:53 PM »
34 2 Minutes to Midnight

32 The Prisoner

I had 2 Minutes To Midnight at #32. I probably have this rated a bit high, but I must say that this song has really aged well, as has the Powerslave album for me. I could not have been more down on this song when it was released. From the recycled riff to the subject matter, which everyone was doing at the time, I was just really disappointed with it. But I have come to really love the track.

I had Brighter Than A Thousand Suns at #54. AMOLAD was a really tough nut to crack. It took a ton of listens, as there's just so much depth. Every song felt like a mini album to me. But Brighter Than A Thousand Suns was the first song that I "got". I rank two songs from the album above it, one of which was Lord Of light, which has already been listed.

I had The Prisoner at #20. Classic tune. I've always loved it. Clive Burr is great on this. Has some real jump to it. Love the chorus. It needs some more love in the live sets

So far...

70 Afraid to Shoot Strangers
68 The Nomad
62 Judas Be My Guide
58 Montesegur
57 Still Life
56 Blood Brothers
54 Brighter Than A Thousand Suns
50 The Evil That Men Do
48 Heaven Can Wait
43 Brave New World
42 The Thin Line Between Love And Hate
38 Run To The Hills
32 2 Minutes To Midnight
29 The Duellists
24 When The Wild Wind Blows
23 The Red And The Black
21 Murders In The Rue Morgue
20 The Prisoner
19 The Clansman
18 Remember Tomorrow
17 No Prayer for the Dying
15 Lord Of Light
13 The Book Of Souls
11 Coming Home
8 The Parchment
6 22 Acacia Avenue

-------------------

Not Ranked

77 Starblind
82 The Longest Day
83 Isle Of Avalon
87 Deja Vu
90 Rainmaker
92 If Eternity Should Fail
94 Only the Good Die Young
97 Dream Of Mirrors
101 The Wicker Man
105 Killers
106 Death of the Celts

NR These Colours Don't Run
NR Prodigal Son
NR Wratchchild
NR Can I Play with Madness
NR The Reincarnation of Benjamin Breeg
NR Out of the Silent Planet
NR The Loneliness Of The Long Distance Runner
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #1182 on: July 03, 2022, 01:10:23 PM »
#6 BTaTS - love this tune, exceptionally heavy for Maiden and Bruce is letting it rip
#21 The Prisoner - love that intro especially but the whole song is cool
Didn’t rank 2MTM.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #1183 on: July 03, 2022, 01:43:46 PM »

??? ???

Potential ideas for future countdowns, I presume?  :)

Sorry, yeah, I meant Countdown.  :blush

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1184 on: July 03, 2022, 02:07:54 PM »

Oh I don't know. I figure that you'd have to get at least 15 lists to make it worth it, no? VH had 17 right.

I could only participate in a hard rock one. But I think you'd do well with Porcupine Tree, Neal Morse, maybe even U2.

As far as hard rock, I think maybe Ozzy would get the most responses. Lots of discussions have evolved in Ozzy rankings over the years. I'm not a big Judas Priest guy, but you might get a decent amount of responses for them, or maybe Black Sabbath.
Opeth is fairly popular here as well.
I'm just thinking of what would generate the most interest.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1185 on: July 03, 2022, 03:40:04 PM »

Oh I don't know. I figure that you'd have to get at least 15 lists to make it worth it, no? VH had 17 right.

I could only participate in a hard rock one. But I think you'd do well with Porcupine Tree, Neal Morse, maybe even U2.

As far as hard rock, I think maybe Ozzy would get the most responses. Lots of discussions have evolved in Ozzy rankings over the years. I'm not a big Judas Priest guy, but you might get a decent amount of responses for them, or maybe Black Sabbath.
Opeth is fairly popular here as well.
I'm just thinking of what would generate the most interest.
Opeth and Judas Priest would both be quite popular for a top 75.

Never heard of U2  ;)
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1186 on: July 03, 2022, 03:57:53 PM »
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1187 on: July 03, 2022, 04:01:00 PM »
2MTM - 75 - I'm kind of surprised it ranked so high, but it's a great song.  It rips live, has a great solo section and has stood the test of time really well.

BTATS - 95 - This has aged better than expected for me, but I never quite understood the love it got.  It's still a solid song with a interesting chord progression in there.

Prisoner - 64 - Gotta love a chorus in a major key, good stuff.  Always a pleasure listening to this song, the main riff is nice and heavy and Bruce as always sounding great.  Really cool solo section too.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

• DTF.org Member
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline The Realm

« Reply #1189 on: July 03, 2022, 04:19:40 PM »

34 2 Minutes to Midnight

32 The Prisoner

Love todays update!

2 Minutes to Midnight - 62 for me and yes probably too low. It is a classic and a song I have loved over the years but it carries a very overplayed feel for me these days.

Brighter Than a Thousand Suns - 48 on my list. This song just has a great heavy riff. AMOLAD has been really well represented in the countdown, it is my favourite reunion album. Has to be at least 1 more song to come, maybe 2?

The Prisoner - 27 on my list. A song I have always loved. The voice over start and Clive's drum into are burned into my brain. I was actually getting a bit worried that this song wasn't going to make it.

With 31 songs to go, the countdown is starting to get very interesting. Looking at my own list I can probably comfortably guess the majority of these songs but there is going to be a surprise or two (for me anyway).