Author Topic: Official top 75 Iron Maiden songs thread!! (Top 2 revealed on 07/15!!)  (Read 55917 times)

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Re: Official top 75 Iron Maiden songs thread!! (Countdown is now going!)
« Reply #1085 on: July 01, 2022, 07:33:42 AM »
Run to the Hills: #72. Great, iconic song, but I'm so overly-familiar with it that it no longer excites me much. Fantastically composed tune, the tribal drumming at the start and the patented Harris Gallop paint the picture of the lyrics very well. I feel bad for it landing this low on my list, because if the question put to me were "what are the top ten classic Iron Maiden songs?", this would make the list because my thinking would be along different lines. But when doing this huge relisten project, my only criterion was: "how much do I enjoy listening to these songs right now at this time in my life?"

This is me.  This is probably the song that got me into Maiden in the first place - that video was CLASSIC at the time - when I was 14 (I turned 15 in September of that year; NOTB came out in March).  It will always have a special place, but it doesn't reflect that on my list.

Run To The Hills: #45

The Clansman:  #118

I'm 20/16.  I feel that at least three of my top 10 - and five of my top 15 - will not make the list at all.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #1086 on: July 01, 2022, 07:54:33 AM »
22/13 here!

Think you've missed one mate, there have been 36 songs so far.

Yes, indeed. My own spreadsheet was lacking; 22/14 instead!
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #1087 on: July 01, 2022, 08:29:05 AM »
I had the Clansman at #50 based on the Bruce version which is probably too high and Run to the Hills at #65 may be too low, but it's just hard for the life-long fans not to be sick of that song.  :-\

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1088 on: July 01, 2022, 09:44:26 AM »
I had Hills at #47.  I crazy loved it at first.  My band played it for a little while (we eventually realized it wasn't a good idea since the singer couldn't handle the big scream without going falsetto).  Now, it's one of the few songs (by any band) that I loved but I've grown weary of.  I still enjoy it when I listen to it, but I don't seek it out.  My second lowest ranked song on Beast.

Didn't rank The Clansman.  I've only listened to it once (in anticipation of the upcoming show), and I was not impressed.

1. Brave New World:  7 songs/139 points – Out of the Silent Planet (#70), Brave New World (#60), The Wicker Man (#58), The Nomad (#56), The Thin Line Between Love and Hate (#53), Dream of Mirrors (#52), Blood Brothers (#44)

2. Killers:  4 songs/80 points – Prodigal Son (#63), Wrathchild (#62), Killers (#54), Murders in the Rue Morgue (#45)

3T. A Matter of Life and Death:  4 songs/76 points – The Reincarnation of Benjamin Breeg (#71), These Colours Don’t Run (#65), Lord of Light (#49), The Longest Day (#43)

3T. The Book of Souls:  3 songs/76 points – If Eternity Should Fail (#64), The Book of Souls (#46), The Red and the Black (#42)

5. The Final Frontier:  2 songs/54 points – Isle of Avalon (#51), Starblind (#47)

6. Somewhere in Time:  3 songs/46 points – Déjà Vu (#68), Heaven Can Wait (#66), The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner (#48)

7. Virtual XI:  1 song/36 points – The Clansman (#40)

8. The Number of the Beast:  1 song/35 points – Run to the Hills (#41)

9. Dance of Death:  2 songs/30 points – Rainmaker (#72), Montsegur (#50)

10. Fear of the Dark:  2 songs/24 points – Judas Be My Guide (#67), Afraid to Shoot Strangers (#61)

11. Iron Maiden:  1 song/21 points – Remember Tomorrow (#55)

12. Seventh Son of a Seventh Son:  2 songs/20 points – Can I Play with Madness (#73), Only the Good Die Young (#59)

13. Piece of Mind:  1 song/19 points – Still Life (#57)

14. No Prayer for the Dying:  1 song/7 points – No Prayer for the Dying (#69)

15. Powerslave:  1 song/2 points – The Duellists (#74)

16. Senjutsu:  1 song/1 point – Death of the Celts (#75)

17. The X Factor:
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #1089 on: July 01, 2022, 09:46:58 AM »
Senjutsu needs more songs!
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1090 on: July 01, 2022, 10:31:16 AM »
Senjutsu needs more songs!

I reckon it'll end up on three.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1091 on: July 01, 2022, 10:45:05 AM »
Can't remember if Kev said whether there are any albums that got all songs in the top 75.  At this point, I'm thinking the answer is no (unless I'm seriously underestimating a few songs).
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #1092 on: July 01, 2022, 11:11:33 AM »
41 Run to the Hills
Appeared on 20 of 27 entrees
Top 10 finishes: 2
Highest Ranking: 6 (KevShmev)

I suspect this got the "great song, but overplayed and I like many others more" treatment from quite a few when doing their lists, and I get it, but as still a relatively new big fan, I still think it's great, and I was the highest ranker, having it at 6.

40  The Clansmen
Appeared on 18 of 27 entrees
Top 10 finishes: 1
Highest Ranking: 4 (Ben_Jamin)

I did not rank this. Not a fan.
Run to the Hills - This was a hard one to rank. On the one hand, I've been listening to this song for over 30 years now and it's on the radio constantly (not that I listen to the radio anymore) so it has that overplayed feel. On the other hand, it is a fantastic song, with music and lyrics/vocals fitting together perfectly. Ultimately I ranked it at #51, which feels too low and too high at the same time :dunno:

The Clansman - I had this at #131 and it only made it that high because of Bruce's live version and the fact there are some interesting things happening musically at times. The studio version is about as boring as every other Blaze song.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline nick_z

« Reply #1093 on: July 01, 2022, 11:34:26 AM »
Run to the Hills (#33)

Certainly a classic - I don't go out of my way to listen to it, and it's never quite been one of my very favorites among the classics. But I still love it. The unmistakable intro, and the gallop... Sure, overly familiar now and overplayed, but great stuff.

The Clansman (#54)

Maybe an obvious choice, but this is my favorite from Virtual XI (and the only one that ranked for me). Might not say much, I guess  :) Very good song - not a masterpiece, but deserving to be in the Maiden "canon".

My current ranked/unranked split is 29/7

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1094 on: July 01, 2022, 12:56:30 PM »
Can't remember if Kev said whether there are any albums that got all songs in the top 75.  At this point, I'm thinking the answer is no (unless I'm seriously underestimating a few songs).

I know one does for sure, and there might be a second. I'll have to look later when I get home where the spreadsheets are.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #1095 on: July 01, 2022, 01:04:14 PM »

I know one does for sure, and there might be a second. I'll have to look later when I get home where the spreadsheets are.

The Number Of The Beast.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1096 on: July 01, 2022, 01:06:53 PM »
41 Run to the Hills
Appeared on 20 of 27 entrees
Top 10 finishes: 2
Highest Ranking: 6 (KevShmev)

40  The Clansmen
Highest Ranking: 4 (Ben_Jamin)

I had Run To The Hills at #38. This video in 1982 completely sold me on this band. They looked so fucking cool and I loved that they were playing with an actual stage set. I still don't really skip it, and it's still a great live song to experience in person. On the Somewhere Back In Time tour, the crowd for that show here was epic during Run To The Hills.

I had The Clansman at #19. One of Iron Maiden's best songs. Ever. Even when VXI, came out, this song stood out so much. It is just so powerful. It really does fit Blaze quite well, but the live versions with Bruce are fantastic. It's really the one song from the Blaze Era that Bruce really takes on as his own.

So far...

70 Afraid to Shoot Strangers
68 The Nomad
62 Judas Be My Guide
58 Montesegur
57 Still Life
56 Blood Brothers
48 Heaven Can Wait
43 Brave New World
42 The Thin Line Between Love And Hate
38 Run To The Hills
29 The Duellists
23 The Red And The Black
21 Murders In The Rue Morgue
19 The Clansman
18 Remember Tomorrow
17 No Prayer for the Dying
15 Lord Of Light
13 The Book Of Souls

-------------------

Not Ranked

77 Starblind
82 The Longest Day
83 Isle Of Avalon
87 Deja Vu
90 Rainmaker
92 If Eternity Should Fail
94 Only the Good Die Young
97 Dream Of Mirrors
101 The Wicker Man
105 Killers
106 Death of the Celts

NR These Colours Don't Run
NR Prodigal Son
NR Wratchchild
NR Can I Play with Madness
NR The Reincarnation of Benjamin Breeg
NR Out of the Silent Planet
NR The Loneliness Of The Long Distance Runner
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1097 on: July 01, 2022, 01:20:12 PM »

The Number Of The Beast.
I'd actually be surprised if Gangland made it in at this point. And to a lesser extent Invaders.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #1098 on: July 01, 2022, 01:26:21 PM »

The Number Of The Beast.
I'd actually be surprised if Gangland made it in at this point. And to a lesser extent Invaders.

The only other album that would make sense is their first.

Offline Dave_Manchester

« Reply #1099 on: July 01, 2022, 01:29:55 PM »
I'd say at this point Somewhere in Time looks fairly certain to have all its songs on the list.

Online Mladen

« Reply #1100 on: July 01, 2022, 01:33:41 PM »
I'd say at this point Somewhere in Time looks fairly certain to have all its songs on the list.
This is my assumption as well. Seventh son of a seventh son is also a possibility.

I wouldn't bet on The Number of the beast, Piece of mind and Powerslave, though. I highly doubt Gangland, Quest for fire and Losfer words rank up that high on people's lists. And I do like some of those songs.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1101 on: July 01, 2022, 01:35:33 PM »
This is my assumption as well. Seventh son of a seventh son is also a possibility.

I wouldn't bet on The Number of the beast, Piece of mind and Powerslave, though. I highly doubt Gangland, Quest for fire and Losfer words rank up that high on people's lists. And I do like some of those songs.

My numbers #6, #13, and #19. 

NOT. 

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1102 on: July 01, 2022, 01:35:51 PM »

The Number Of The Beast.

Offline romdrums

« Reply #1103 on: July 01, 2022, 01:47:38 PM »

Especially since Heaven Can Wait, Deja Vu, and The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner have made it.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #1104 on: July 01, 2022, 02:36:02 PM »
Yeah, I feel it's gotta be SiT.

As for the most recent update, I had Clansman at 33 (not the highest ranking song from VXI on my list, but very close). A great song no matter whether we're talking the original studio album or Bruce singing it live.

Run To The Hills didn't make my list. I get that it's iconic, and I respect that it was a gateway for so many folks, but for me it just doesn't quite stack up to their best; it's quite comfortably in the bottom half of TNotB, for me.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1105 on: July 01, 2022, 02:52:44 PM »

As well as Back in the Village.

And yeah, based on what's left, I think SIT has the best chance of getting all it's songs.  POM should, and SSOASS absolutely should not.  I have a feeling we may have seen the last of Killers.  I'd be shocked if the debut pulled it off.

Offline Shalev Amir

• Shmoolikipod
« Reply #1106 on: July 01, 2022, 03:47:20 PM »
Agreed, I'd be shocked if it isn't SiT. SSoaSS has a shot but I'm not counting on it. BNW is very close, only three songs haven't appeared yet, but I doubt two of them will make an appearance this late. And don't forget about Virtual XI. Major spoilers - Lightning Strikes Twice is highly likely to get #1. The Angel and the Gambler will have to settle with a top 2 finish.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #1107 on: July 01, 2022, 04:11:32 PM »
I see what you did there.

Offline The Realm

« Reply #1108 on: July 01, 2022, 04:39:51 PM »
I’d be pretty sure it is Somewhere in Time that will rank all the songs. I don’t see it happening for any other album.

I’m currently at 24/12.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #1109 on: July 01, 2022, 05:12:59 PM »
At least Quest for Fire got some points from me :)

SSOASS having all songs in would be great, SiT not so much. And there’s so much in my list not goig to make it I fear :lol
Squ

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1110 on: July 01, 2022, 05:57:25 PM »
Two more today!

39 The Evil That Men Do
Appeared on 22 of 27 entrees
Highest Ranking: 7 (Zydar)

I had this at 66, but it is one I always feel like I will like a lot more as time goes on.  It got great support here, so that gives me hope.

38 22 Acacia Avenue
Appeared on 17 of 27 entrees
Top 10 finishes: 6
Highest Ranking: 6 (TAC, nick_z)

I don't dislike this song, but it's not really grabbing me as of yet, so it went unranked for me. 

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1111 on: July 01, 2022, 06:15:08 PM »
39 The Evil That Men Do
Appeared on 22 of 27 entrees
Highest Ranking: 7 (Zydar)

I had this at 66, but it is one I always feel like I will like a lot more as time goes on.  It got great support here, so that gives me hope.

38 22 Acacia Avenue
Appeared on 17 of 27 entrees
Top 10 finishes: 6
Highest Ranking: 6 (TAC, nick_z)

I don't dislike this song, but it's not really grabbing me as of yet, so it went unranked for me.
The Evil that Men Do - Had this at #32. Love the galloping rhythm here and the guitar tone.

22 Acacia Avenue - Had this at #31. Just a solid all around song.
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline Dave_Manchester

« Reply #1112 on: July 01, 2022, 06:37:10 PM »
The Evil That Men Do: #59. An important moment in the narrative (such as it is) of the album, and musically it's a hell of a romp. 

22 Acacia Avenue:
#10. This is the biggest surprise of the countdown for me so far, I thought this would be nailed-on top 10/15 material for sure. Lyrically dodgy as fuck (but on the other hand a gloriously silly juvenile fantasy) but musically magnificent. And I'm confidently guessing this song's inclusion here is the final nail in the coffin of any chance tunes like Gangland and Invaders ever had of featuring on this list (between this and Run To The Hills featuring so relatively low I'm even starting to worry for the likes of Children of the Damned and The Prisoner!).

My list so far in descending order:

#74: If Eternity Should Fail
#72: Run to the Hills
#66: The Longest Day
#64: Only The Good Die Young
#63: Still Life
#59: The Evil That Men Do
#56: These Colours Don't Run
#54: Can I Play With Madness
#53: Remember Tomorrow
#52: Judas Be My Guide
#51: Blood Brothers
#41: Rainmaker
#40: The Clansman
#36: Montsegur
#34: The Wicker Man
#22: Heaven Can Wait
#21: Starblind
#18: The Red and the Black
#15: The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner
#10: 22 Acacia Avenue
#6: No Prayer for the Dying
#1: Afraid To Shoot Strangers

Not ranked:

Death of the Celts
The Duellists
Out of the Silent Planet
The Reincarnation of Benjamin Breeg
Deja-Vu
Prodigal Son
Wrathchild
Brave New World
The Nomad
Killers
The Thin Line Between Love and Hate
Dream of Mirrors
Isle of Avalon
Lord of Light
The Book of Souls
Murders in the Rue Morgue

Ranked/Unranked split: 22/16
« Last Edit: July 01, 2022, 07:02:21 PM by Dave_Manchester »

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1113 on: July 01, 2022, 07:50:33 PM »
RTTH - 148 - Never really cared for it.  Dave rips the solo though.  Great live too, I'll give it that.

Clansman - 45 - Wonderful song.  Blaze fits the song well and a great instrumental section.  Great chorus

TETMD - 62 - Yeah, I've always really enjoyed this one.  Great gallop, nice snarling vocals from Bruce and a wonderful chorus.  Interesting, creative solo from Adrian too.

22 - 8 - 38 is just too low, this is an absolute classic.  Adrian's riffing all over this is pure class, great fun to play along too.  I enjoy the smutty lyrics too.  Cause Maiden didn't do this kind of thing all too often, it works well here.  Love the breakdown for Dave's solo and Adrian destroys the outro.  What a song.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #1114 on: July 01, 2022, 08:56:43 PM »
The Evil That Men Do (#41)
It's really catchy with those amazing pre-chorus AND chorus!

22 Acacia Avenue (#38)
It's a really cool mini-epic by Maiden with a classic heavy rock vibe.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline The Realm

« Reply #1115 on: July 01, 2022, 09:24:24 PM »
Two all time classics in the latest batch.

The Evil That Men Do - number 28 for me and could easily have been higher. Always loved this song. Awesome intro, the verses are great and the solo is great. Sure it has the repetitive chorus but it works well for this song.

22 - number 9 for me and as others have said I am really shocked to see this song so low. All the music is really special, the vocal melodies are infectious and Bruce’s vocal is on the money. The lyrics haven’t aged that well for me but that is a very minor fault.

Online Mladen

« Reply #1116 on: July 02, 2022, 05:03:05 AM »
22 Accacia Avenue is maybe a tad overrated in my opinion. It's good musically, but I'm not particularly crazy about the lyrics. It's still a fine song, but I think it might be my least favorite on the album.

The Evil that men do, on the other hand...  :hefdaddy

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1117 on: July 02, 2022, 05:44:30 AM »
Who's ready for more?  :metal :metal

Warning: this is not your day for updates if you are wanting songs from the 80s.

37 Coming Home
Appeared on 19 of 27 entrees
Highest Ranking: 5 (senecadawg2)

I had this at 42, but it was another that felt like it could have been 10-15 spots higher.  The Final Frontier is pretty backloaded, but this is the one song in the first half, IMO, that really stands out.

36 When the Wild Wind Blows
Appeared on 15 of 27 entrees
Top 10 finishes: 3
Highest Ranking: 4 (Dave_Manchester, DTA)

Another winner from The Final Frontier.  I had this at 30, and the live version from En Vivo! really was integral in getting me to fully appreciate this one.

35 The Parchment
Top 10 finishes: 5
Highest Ranking: 2 (wolfking)

This was another new one I snuck in at the last minute, with it landing at 72 for me.  Feels like another one of the new songs I'd probably like a lot more if the production had allowed the song to freaking breathe at all, but you can hear the makings of a really good song in there.

Online Mladen

« Reply #1118 on: July 02, 2022, 05:59:15 AM »
What a tremendous update. Coming home is a track that keeps growing on me over the years, I like it more and more as time goes by. The Parchment was initially my least favorite on the new album, but I absolutely adore it now. When the wild wind blows... Yeah, that one is just a classic. It's due for a live comeback at some point.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #1119 on: July 02, 2022, 06:17:22 AM »
I wonder why Bosk isn’t partaking - you just listed his 2 favorite Maiden songs.

Anyway, Coming Home was 49 for me - great lyrics by Bruce.
When the Wild Wind Blows I had at 13 - my fave from TFF, very cool song structure and unique story from Steve
22 - number 18. Musically a 95 and lyrically a 0.
Parchment #58, 2nd highest song from Senjutsu, more solos than any other Maiden song
The Evil - #47, ranks in the middle of the SSOASS songs which tells you how much I like that album

Even though it seems like we're getting into a lot of consensus songs, they're still missing on about 33% of the lists. Fascinating diversity of opinions.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2022, 06:31:51 AM by Dream Team »