Author Topic: Father dies for spraying windshield fluid on another car  (Read 4108 times)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Re: Father dies for spraying windshield fluid on another car
« Reply #35 on: July 25, 2022, 06:28:42 AM »
It’s great that less people are getting killed. Without people owning guns, it would be even less. You basically sidestepped the most important part of SwedishGoose’s argument - the presence of guns - to show data that might support different claims, but that data always assumes the presence of guns. Take guns conpletely outof the picture, as SwedishGoose suggests, and you’ll have different - I bet less killings - results.

But this is taking it into P&R territory. Yes I do see people behaving like idiots on the road here too, road rage really is a thing. I’m glad I don’t have to fear getting shot for doing something small that another person would get triggered (wow, a pun!) by.

How do you get to that?  How? 

I didn't side-step anything, I just didn't agree.  The number of guns IS NOT A CAUSATION FACTOR.  I don't know how many times I can give you the hard data to show that, and yet the "common sense" "logic" still persists.  You might as well say "every school shooting has happened in daylight; we need to start sending kids to school at night."   

This isn't about keeping people alive; it's this obsession with guns, and I don't get it.   The VAST MAJORITY, to the point of being statistically insignificant, of guns are handled legally and with responsibility.   I'm 54, and I've been blessed enough to be able to have traveled much of the world.  I can remember 30 years ago, before the obsession with America's guns, it was something else.   There's always something to point fingers at.  I can't tell you how many times I've sat in a bar in another country, from Germany to Ireland to Turkey to Austria to Sweden, and having the conversation about "what was wrong with America".   We were laughed at and mocked for having a "cowboy" (literally, not metaphorically) as a President. We were mocked for having a President who couldn't keep his weiner in his shorts.  Everyone knows better than we do about what's right and what's wrong with our society.  Fair enough, perspective matters, but you DON'T get to ignore the basic laws of math and physics.   There is no causal data showing your position.  I was very careful not to say that "more guns MEANS less death", and I'm not going to change that now, because I don't know that the causation goes in that direction either, but it's irrefutable that "more guns" is NOT the causation for what we're seeing now. It's just not. 

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #36 on: July 25, 2022, 06:32:41 AM »
It’s great that less people are getting killed. Without people owning guns, it would be even less. You basically sidestepped the most important part of SwedishGoose’s argument - the presence of guns - to show data that might support different claims, but that data always assumes the presence of guns. Take guns conpletely outof the picture, as SwedishGoose suggests, and you’ll have different - I bet less killings - results.

Well, sure, but (I'm making an assumption here) but my guess is that this murderer did not have a legal weapon to begin with. This guy is a criminal and now a murderer. I still believe in responsibly and rightly owning a gun, but I'm all for going after the flow of illegal guns what contributed to this.

Also, @ Stads, I don't know if this was mentioned in the study, but driving in your car is basically the only time in your life/day where you can yell fuck you at someone. It's like all of the frustration built up during your day...you can't yell fuck you to your boss, or to your wife, or to your mother... but if someone accidentally creeps into your lane on the highway, you can unload on them with usually no consequence.

I gotta be honest, whenever my windshields gets sprayed by the car in front of me, it's usually followed by me uttering "You motherfucker.".

Me too; I'm an even-keeled sort of guy.  I don't get angry all that often, and when I do, it dissipates relatively quickly (usually too quickly to cause any trouble!).  I'm lucky enough to be a secure guy in that if someone cuts me in line I don't care.  I also know the studies, so when I'm in a merge lane and someone goes speeding up next to me, I know that ultimately, for the greater good, that's what SHOULD be happening.   So I put on music and distract.  But I will tell you, of my "anger episodes" far more of them happen in the car behind the wheel than anywhere else.   A quick way to get my blood boiling is to have some asshole in the left lane "policing" me, giving me the finger because THEY are the ones violating the accepted travel laws.   Fuck you and your piece of shit car, dickhead.   But I'm too old to be chasing cars or flipping people off.  It's not worth it to me at this point.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #37 on: July 25, 2022, 06:37:23 AM »
My dad is not a road rage guy at all, but he does like to hit his horn on occasion if a driver cuts in front of him too quickly or doesn't go right away at a light or something like that, and for years I have advised him that he needs to stop doing that.  It's not worth getting shot over something so trivial.

I had an incident a while back where a dude in a truck was riding my bumper hard for no reason, it was fairly busy traffic in SF, so the road was clipping along but busy. He wouldn't back off, and I gave him the finger. He proceeded to stalk me for the next 15 miles, zooming past me, brake checking me, the whole nine yards. I had a plan to drive to my town, and straight to the police station about a mile from my house and park there, but managed to lose him at a freeway split.

I've never fucked around again, that scared the shit out of me. I am the chillest of drivers now, probably get better gas mileage for it too. :biggrin:

I missed this post last week, but my argument would be, if you are someone who gives total strangers the middle finger for no reason other than "they did something I didn't like," you might want to look inside yourself on that one.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #38 on: July 25, 2022, 07:30:22 AM »
You can cite any studies you like that shows more guns equals less killed but the major studies around the world showing that the USA is an outlier in both guns per capita and murders per capita will not go away.

There is data all around that shows contry per country that guns per capita and murders per capita follow each other quite well across a line where most other countries are low on murders and low on guns.... and then you have the USA with high number of guns per capita and high number of murders per capita.

I can't change your mind and I don't want to...

Nor should those studies go away; I'm not pulling the same stunt and ignoring those facts that don't support my cause.  I'll be the first to admit that if we're talking about SUICIDES, it's a different conversation.

But I want you to send me the statistics on MURDER PER CAPITA.  YOU ARE PROVABLE WRONG on that point.  This source puts us at 4.96/100,000 people. Not only is it not anywhere even CLOSE to leading the world, it's also BELOW THE WORLD AVERAGE. 

"Follow each other" - correlation - and "causing" are not the same thing.  If there is a CORRELATION, then then answer isn't to remove one of the variables, it's to find what is causing BOTH phenomena to happen. That's what I'm all about.  I want to end this. I just don't want to waste time with "correlations" and "common sense" and "feel good".   I want to follow the data and get it right the first time.

And to repeat myself in a slightly different way: I don't give a rat's ass about guns.  If the data said something different, I'd be banging the drum in a different direction.  I'm just not about infringing liberty for no discernable reason or benefit.

The only thing I want you to do is answer this:

What do you think would have happened if the driver of the BMW did not have a gun?

I have no idea, I'm not a psychic.   But any of a number of things could have happened; they could have followed them and beat them with a tire iron.  They could have continued to ram them with their car.  They could have sat right next to them and yelled a lot.  They could have just driven home and smoked more dope.  I don't know, and I don't really care from the standpoint that it's not a game of speculation.  Google "brake check video" and you can see all you need to see about road rage ending in catastrophe without guns.  I don't know about you, but I know I don't want to die.  And for me, slamming into a bridge abutment because I've been driven off the road isn't "better" than being shot from a passing car.

ALL road rage incidents are escalating at an alarming rate, whether a gun is used or not. Why do we just focus on the ones with guns? Don't those other people matter?  Don't their lives make a difference?  Why do they have to continue to suffer while we do nothing? 
« Last Edit: July 25, 2022, 08:28:07 AM by Stadler »

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #39 on: July 25, 2022, 07:40:49 AM »
The ease of shooting a gun vs stopping and hitting someone to death is incomparable. Why is it so difficult to acknowledge that taking guns out of the equation would literally make all scenarios different? I know it’s not realistic to wish all guns away, but sinply acknowledging that guns are in fact the problem would make this a whole lot easier.

Understand the argument: taking the gun out of THAT scenario WOULD make it different. But it doesn't necessarily mean that lives are saved.  But at what cost, with what unintended consequences?  You're all pointing at America, so let's talk about "America" for a second.  In 2008, we were told unequivocally that our answer was a national healthcare plan.  And Barack - well meaning, I'm not being critical of him personally - set the metric at "number of people insured".   Not healthier people, not less people going bankrupt, not better more efficient healthcare, just "number of people insured".  And we were told that we were going to continue to get better.  Put the plan in place, we can't wait! and we'll tweak it as we go.

Well, 14 years later, we're only marginally better on "number of people insured" (helped in part by an IRS penalty if you didn't; nothing like "Incentivizing" people, amirite?)   And NO TWEAKS.  We cut a deal to GUARANTEE Big Pharma their profits.  Our people are no healthier than they were in 2008, and in fact, we're less healthy.  Our life expectancy is DROPPING.   We're still seeing an inordinate amount of medical bankruptcies.  The bureacracy of our healthcare system is still dizzying.  We still have a state-by-state governance of health care.   

So you'd advocate for POTENTIALLY solving this specific scenario - potentially, because NONE of the measures currently suggested by the gun control advocates is going to touch the gun in that BMW if it's an illegal gun - but 14 years from now, when crime escalates, when homicides begin to escalate (as they did immediately after gun regulation in both Australia and Washington DC), when all those other things that tie to our national insecurity and frustration continue to escalate, what then?   Start over?   Or let it mirror our healthcare and do nothing?

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #40 on: July 25, 2022, 07:49:27 AM »
My dad is not a road rage guy at all, but he does like to hit his horn on occasion if a driver cuts in front of him too quickly or doesn't go right away at a light or something like that, and for years I have advised him that he needs to stop doing that.  It's not worth getting shot over something so trivial.

I had an incident a while back where a dude in a truck was riding my bumper hard for no reason, it was fairly busy traffic in SF, so the road was clipping along but busy. He wouldn't back off, and I gave him the finger. He proceeded to stalk me for the next 15 miles, zooming past me, brake checking me, the whole nine yards. I had a plan to drive to my town, and straight to the police station about a mile from my house and park there, but managed to lose him at a freeway split.

I've never fucked around again, that scared the shit out of me. I am the chillest of drivers now, probably get better gas mileage for it too. :biggrin:

I missed this post last week, but my argument would be, if you are someone who gives total strangers the middle finger for no reason other than "they did something I didn't like," you might want to look inside yourself on that one.

I definitely did, I reflected, I put in effort to change, and I grew as an individual.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #41 on: July 25, 2022, 08:13:06 AM »
But.. Would the absence of the gun, the fact that you have to be so hands on and personal with your violence, subdue your reaction. Does the presence of the gun itself make the act of murder a more dispassionate and detached one?

Ninja'd by other Rich, but I'll let my comment stand

AND

Of course he could but if he used his car it would have endagered his precious car. I am not sure he would have wanted to risk that.

And using fists or something else would have forced  him to get closer and risk more for himself.

No in my view the likeley scenario would have been him threatening violence with his voice but no more.

Still you could be right he could have used his precious car but as he had a gun the effort it took for him was soo much less that we will never know.

I'm just glad that in Sweden and other countries that I have driven in I do not have to worry about  guns.

Do you even know the rates we're talking about?

On average there are 30 murders a year attributable to road rage. 30.   About 37% of road rage incidents involve a firearm.  Well less than half.   Even if EVERY murder is because of a handgun, we're talking a ridiculously small amount.

You're really going to regulate 100 million people - almost a third of the population - because you MIGHT - maybe, if we're lucky - save some fraction of 30 lives per year, when you can achieve the same outcome with far less restrictiveness and far more narrow focus?

NONE OF THIS is data driven.  It's driven by a subjective, gut-feeling hard-on over guns.   If you're REALLY interested in keeping people alive and healthy, you'd  be 100% agreeing with me.

You're proposing to spend BILLIONS of dollars in enforcement (not even mentioning all the jobs and benefits lost from the manufacturing of firearms) to save what, some percentage of 30 lives that wouldn't translate over without a gun, when I'm proposing to spend billions in mental wellness to help:

- 42,000 people died in auto accidents in 202066% of those - or over 27,000 - are attributable to aggressive driving NOT GUNS
- the 45,000 suicides per year (whether by gun or otherwise);
- the 43.7 milllion people on anti-depressants in the US;
- that portion of the 164 MILLION people that use illicit drugs in the past year; granted, not all of them are problematic.  But fully 4% of the population (same source) or 13 million people are subject to opioid abuse.   That's the same percentage, ballpark, of homosexuality in the United States, so NOT an insignificant number of people. 
- Almost 42% of our population - or 139 MILLION people - are obese in the United States.  Fully 50% - or roughly 22 million people - of our African American population is obese (same source).

We are a struggling nation. It's not "guns" that denotes that, it's the plethora of OTHER data points that are on the rise that denotes that.  We need to get to the root of why it was so important for that BMW driver to exact his revenge over what, some perceived slight? Why is it so important to slaughter a school to justify your world view?   Why are so many people escaping through medication, both legal and illegal?  Why are so many of our people killing themselves?   Why are so many of our people eating themselves to oblivion? 

« Last Edit: July 25, 2022, 08:20:48 AM by Stadler »

Offline Harmony

« Reply #42 on: July 25, 2022, 08:37:40 AM »
You're proposing to spend BILLIONS of dollars in enforcement (not even mentioning all the jobs and benefits lost from the manufacturing of firearms) to save what, some percentage of 30 lives that wouldn't translate over without a gun, when I'm proposing to spend billions in mental wellness to help:

- 42,000 people died in auto accidents in 202066% of those - or over 27,000 - are attributable to aggressive driving NOT GUNS
- that portion of the 164 MILLION people that use illicit drugs in the past year; granted, not all of them are problematic.  But fully 4% of the population (same source) or 13 million people are subject to opioid abuse.   That's the same percentage, ballpark, of homosexuality in the United States, so NOT an insignificant number of people. 
- Almost 42% of our population - or 139 MILLION people - are obese in the United States.  Fully 50% - or roughly 22 million people - of our African American population is obese (same source).

We are a struggling nation. It's not "guns" that denotes that, it's the plethora of OTHER data points that are on the rise that denotes that.  We need to get to the root of why it was so important for that BMW driver to exact his revenge over what, some perceived slight? Why is it so important to slaughter a school to justify your world view?   Why are so many people escaping through medication, both legal and illegal?  Why are so many of our people killing themselves?   Why are so many of our people eating themselves to oblivion?

I'm curious - how do you know that the person in the BMW is on an antidepressant or had a mental health problem?  How do you know if the person in the BMW is using drugs?  How do you know if the person in the BMW is obese?

Look, if I were queen, we'd have all the money going into every public health problem that is impacting the US, including the public health crisis around gun violence.  Don't fall into the trap of arguing the fallacy of relative privation here.  If gun violence were only limited to road rage incidents then you've made yourself a fine point.  But they are not.  You know it and we know it.  All of these things can be true at the same time.  Drug abuse, obesity, and mental health can cause harm and death typically over a period of time.  Guns can cause death in a period of seconds.  And there is absolutely no reason why ALL of these issues can't be addressed at the same damn time, except for a lack of willingness from our elected officials to do the hard work....to stop pointing fingers at each other and stop making excuses for and taking money from industries (including the health care industry and pharmaceutical industry) that then expect a little quid pro quo in exchange....and get some shit done about it.
Just another member of Gaia's intramural baseball squad

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #43 on: July 25, 2022, 09:21:41 AM »
But.. Would the absence of the gun, the fact that you have to be so hands on and personal with your violence, subdue your reaction. Does the presence of the gun itself make the act of murder a more dispassionate and detached one?

Ninja'd by other Rich, but I'll let my comment stand

AND

Of course he could but if he used his car it would have endagered his precious car. I am not sure he would have wanted to risk that.

And using fists or something else would have forced  him to get closer and risk more for himself.

No in my view the likeley scenario would have been him threatening violence with his voice but no more.

Still you could be right he could have used his precious car but as he had a gun the effort it took for him was soo much less that we will never know.

I'm just glad that in Sweden and other countries that I have driven in I do not have to worry about  guns.

Do you even know the rates we're talking about?

On average there are 30 murders a year attributable to road rage. 30.   About 37% of road rage incidents involve a firearm.  Well less than half.   Even if EVERY murder is because of a handgun, we're talking a ridiculously small amount.

You're really going to regulate 100 million people - almost a third of the population - because you MIGHT - maybe, if we're lucky - save some fraction of 30 lives per year, when you can achieve the same outcome with far less restrictiveness and far more narrow focus?

NONE OF THIS is data driven.  It's driven by a subjective, gut-feeling hard-on over guns.   If you're REALLY interested in keeping people alive and healthy, you'd  be 100% agreeing with me.

What do statistics have to do with the intimacy of killing someone? How does your wall of stats relate to my post about the difference between shooting someone and killing someone with your bare hands, and how maybe the absence of a gun would reduce one's ability and desire to kill?

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #44 on: July 25, 2022, 10:11:09 AM »

I'm curious - how do you know that the person in the BMW is on an antidepressant or had a mental health problem?  How do you know if the person in the BMW is using drugs?  How do you know if the person in the BMW is obese?

I don't know, and I don't care.   I'm working on the premise that we're never getting to 100% on anything.  Anyone who does polls or satisfaction surveys will tell you that there is always some percentage that objects out of principle.  I'm not spending a billion dollars (or whatever the number is) in order to target one specific person.  That's a fools game, and also runs counter to the baseline assumptions.  We have no idea what was going on in that car and we never will; without that, we're guessing and speculating. 

What I'm saying is, given that, you can spend the same (or similar) amount of money, get the same (or similar) benefits with respect to specific gun violence, but get ALL these other societal benefits, as opposed to all the potential unintended consequences, and perhaps a total INCREASE in absolute deaths.   Seems a no-brainer to me.

Look, if I were queen, we'd have all the money going into every public health problem that is impacting the US, including the public health crisis around gun violence.  Don't fall into the trap of arguing the fallacy of relative privation here.  If gun violence were only limited to road rage incidents then you've made yourself a fine point.  But they are not.  You know it and we know it.  All of these things can be true at the same time.  Drug abuse, obesity, and mental health can cause harm and death typically over a period of time.  Guns can cause death in a period of seconds.  And there is absolutely no reason why ALL of these issues can't be addressed at the same damn time, except for a lack of willingness from our elected officials to do the hard work....to stop pointing fingers at each other and stop making excuses for and taking money from industries (including the health care industry and pharmaceutical industry) that then expect a little quid pro quo in exchange....and get some shit done about it.

Except I'm not falling into that trap; I've written the same things in other non-road-rage instances.  Here we just happen to be talking about road rage.  Where I'm really going is the basis for these claims.  I was crass in my reference before, but I really do sincerely believe there's a subjective, intangible hatred of guns here that transcends any real data or real-world connection. Swedish Goose - and I'm sorry to call him out - is predicating at least in part his argument on a statistic that is PROVABLY INACCURATE.  We wouldn't tolerate this in almost any other instance. Which tells me there is more to this than pure fact or pure science.   The two issues are not identical, but I think there's a fundamental similarity between those opposed to abortion and those opposed to guns.  It just SEEMS bad, but in reality, the effects are the same.  Just like banning abortion from that teenager in Arkansas doesn't impact any particular citizen in, say, Michigan or Virginia, so banning guns from the guy in Tennessee that legally owns 200 guns doesn't make any particular citizen any more safe. 

But you and I are in lock step on the rest of it.  I'm with you generally; we can do two things (or more) at once. No argument.  I'm not at all suggesting that we should arbitrarily select individual things to tackle.  If anything, I'm going a little further and wanting to be a little more ambitious and comprehensive.  IMO, guns are being targeted because they are an easy scapegoat.  We don't, as a general matter, respect mental inconsistencies.   Simone Biles was celebrated by many, but vilified by many.   It wasn't THAT long ago that a Presidential candidate was made out to be unstable for having sought mental wellness support.  The converse is true, though:  we shouldn't just pander to the easy solutions as a stop gap, especially if those easy solutions are predicated on "feel good" or the idea of "just doing something".  I don't agree that removing the guns changes the game in the way that many, here and elsewhere (I won't presume you) do.   I DON'T think that taking guns away reduces the mass killing problem.  I just don't.  It might introduce a lag in time, but I strongly feel we're just kicking the can (that's why I keep bringing up the ACA, another high-level thing we just kicked the can on). 

Harmony, the data just doesn't support many of the claims being made.  I'm sort of confused and concerned about this; with all the talk about "fake news" in the lexicon today, with all the focus on "truth", why am I - who is living in his truth, at least with respect to this issue - the one being asked to defend his position?   Why aren't all the people who were so concerned about vaccines and whatever, not calling to task the basing of broad societal concerns on provably faulty information? 

And to further explain:  so many of the deaths by firearm today are SUICIDES.  And while I get the idea that we might want to remove guns from the troubled in order to save their life (since it seems that people don't replace methodologies when it comes to suicide by firearm) why are we focusing ONLY on the gun aspect?   I've already conceded that I would, as a larger package, accept limitations on gun ownership. I would accept background checks, and I fully support red-flag laws, with the idea that we can keep guns away from an impulse user.  There were roughly 46,000 suicides in 2020.  Slightly over half were by firearm (I think I cited that above).   The proposed solution - removing guns - will, at it's absolute most successful, prevent 27,000 deaths, less those that DO transfer methodology (admittedly, that percentage is low) and minus all those increased homicide numbers that we KNOW have happened whenever guns were unilaterally removed from an environment.  My method will, at it's most successful, prevent almost double that number, plus improve the lives of all those people who think about or contemplate suicide and either are not successful or lack the wherewithal to actually attempt it, without ANY of the increases in homicides, and in fact a strong possibility that even MORE deaths would be prevented - by firearm or otherwise - by reducing the rage we see on an almost daily basis.

No, it's not easy. No, it doesn't garner votes.  No, it doesn't break the financial stranglehold that the NRA has on politics (and politicians that vote other, non-gun-related topics important to the Democratic Party agenda).  But it will, undoubtedly, save lives.  We've SEEN this (remember that study I gave the link to where gun deaths dropped in half in jurisdictions where therapy was introduced in the criminal justice system?).

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #45 on: July 25, 2022, 10:22:30 AM »
What do statistics have to do with the intimacy of killing someone? How does your wall of stats relate to my post about the difference between shooting someone and killing someone with your bare hands, and how maybe the absence of a gun would reduce one's ability and desire to kill?

I think I've answered that.  But in case I haven't, I'm not addressing the "intimacy of the kill", I'm addressing that people die.  I don't care about the "intimacy of the kill" in and of itself with respect to guns.   Especially not if it means that by reducing the intimacy I also introduce many more total deaths (which we've seen from the removal of guns elsewhere).  I DO care about the "intimacy of the kill" from the psychological standpoint; I certainly want to know WHY so many people - relatively, we're still talking about 100's of people out of 331,000,000 in this country - WANT to see someone else, someone they presumably KNOW - die at their hands at close range.  That sickens me, but has nothing to do with guns.

And there is literally not one shred of proof anywhere - in fact, the data strongly suggests otherwise - that says that removing guns "reduces one's desire to kill".  That's the essence of my point here; you're pulling stuff out of your ass - metaphorically - to make a case that isn't supported by hard facts.  That's simply a guess that sounds good, and makes the point.  You don't get to litigate the liberties of 100 million people based on a guess. Many of these school shooters, for example (Adam Lanza for one, the guy in Texas for another), have their plan well advanced before ever acquiring their gun.  It seems so quaint these days to refer to Columbine, but their entire plan wasn't even PREDICATED on guns. And more directly, ask the gun owners here if their behavior doesn't change with a gun, and I would bet you one of those fancy dinners where they paint shit on the table that most of them will say their behavior and attitude is TEMPERED with the ownership of a gun, not exacerbated.

And with respect to suicide, gun owners are slightly LESS inclined to attempt suicide.  There are more gun owners that actually DO commit suicide because the success rate with a firearm is about 85% (contrast that with drug overdose which is around 3%). 

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #46 on: July 25, 2022, 10:30:14 AM »
But that's exactly what I was addressing.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #47 on: July 25, 2022, 11:01:02 AM »

I'm confused; so it's okay to have increased crime, infringed personal rights for 100,000,000 Americans and more deaths overall because we don't like the "intimacy of the kill"?  I'm not being snarky here, I'm trying to understand.   You're making assumptions here that aren't sustainable; for example, that one guy feels more entitled to kill someone because he has a gun in his hand doesn't account for all those people that think twice because the other person MIGHT have a gun in their hand.  It still boils down to the simple fact: why does that person - why does ANY person - want so badly to see other people die to make themselves feel better?  It doesn't matter what the methodology is, it's the fact of wanting another human to die at YOUR hand.  That's what I want to stop. 

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #48 on: July 25, 2022, 11:12:55 AM »

I'm confused; so it's okay to have increased crime, infringed personal rights for 100,000,000 Americans and more deaths overall because we don't like the "intimacy of the kill"?  I'm not being snarky here, I'm trying to understand.   You're making assumptions here that aren't sustainable; for example, that one guy feels more entitled to kill someone because he has a gun in his hand doesn't account for all those people that think twice because the other person MIGHT have a gun in their hand.  It still boils down to the simple fact: why does that person - why does ANY person - want so badly to see other people die to make themselves feel better?  It doesn't matter what the methodology is, it's the fact of wanting another human to die at YOUR hand.  That's what I want to stop.

All I'm saying is with the absence of the gun in this particular instance, and many others, people probably wouldn't die. Guns are efficient killers, doing by hand takes a lot of work, and it's messy as fuck. Anyone who has been in a serious fight knows that even a great deal of supposed damage you take isn't close to what's needed to kill. It's hard work, it's messy, you get bloody, it's intimate... A gun, you just pull the trigger once and they're dead.

That's it. That's all I was saying.

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #49 on: July 25, 2022, 12:38:53 PM »

All I'm saying is with the absence of the gun in this particular instance, and many others, people probably wouldn't die. Guns are efficient killers, doing by hand takes a lot of work, and it's messy as fuck. Anyone who has been in a serious fight knows that even a great deal of supposed damage you take isn't close to what's needed to kill. It's hard work, it's messy, you get bloody, it's intimate... A gun, you just pull the trigger once and they're dead.

If you understand Human Anatomy, you can easily kill a human by fighting.

https://youtu.be/GhAjhoOFgoI
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #50 on: July 25, 2022, 12:45:02 PM »
Sigh... I give up.

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #51 on: July 25, 2022, 02:15:33 PM »

I understand what you are saying though. A gun is the quick solution to deal with a situation as it has potential to be a one shot instant kill.

That's it though, it's humans in general want quick-fix solutions nowadays. Rather than dealing with situations that disrupt routine and time, humans will look for the quicker fix so that we can go about our day and continue doing what we do. Not many people actually want to take the time to handle these issues, and some issues do not have quick-fix solutions and take a lot of time to deal with. Peoples frustrations with their time and doing what they want to do plays a part in how one reacts to certain situations.

I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #52 on: July 25, 2022, 02:38:15 PM »

And I get that, understand that, and agree with it. Fair enough.  There's no argument there; I just don't make the next leap.

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #53 on: July 25, 2022, 03:18:40 PM »

And I get that, understand that, and agree with it. Fair enough.  There's no argument there; I just don't make the next leap.

No you are leaping to the conclusion that if there were more guns at the scene... say that the father had a gun too, then somehow there would be less fatalities then if there were none 😉

Just don't agree with that leap 😉

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #54 on: July 26, 2022, 06:22:07 AM »

No you are leaping to the conclusion that if there were more guns at the scene... say that the father had a gun too, then somehow there would be less fatalities then if there were none 😉

Just don't agree with that leap 😉

I never said that, and in fact I took great pains to say I WASN'T saying that. I'm not making ANY leaps (or at least trying very hard not to make any leaps) that the DATA doesn't drive. That there was or was not a gun there to me is nothing more than "the sun is out" or "there are two lanes".  That driver could not control his anger.  He was going to express that anger one way or the other.  It's the anger we have to target. 

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #55 on: July 26, 2022, 06:27:07 AM »

I definitely did, I reflected, I put in effort to change, and I grew as an individual.

:tup :tup